Blue Bombers Forum
October 16, 2019, 12:40:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: use Streveller as fullback when Nichols returns  (Read 1360 times)
LarryCross

« on: September 15, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »

The fullback position in the Bomber line-up presents an ideal opportunity to strike fear and confusion in the hearts of defensive co-ordinators across the land. Imagine Nicholls lining up behind centre with halfback Harris on one side and fullback Streveller on the other. What a way to open up the receiving game. Defensive backs would have to contend with Harris and Streveller running them over and also how to cover the run and the pass and the draw plays. Streveller could have as big an impact on the Bomber offence as Mike Sellers did way back when. Having you back-up QB on the field at the same time as your QB opens up lots of new options for the offence. With the playoffs starting to loom larger, this would create a new improved dynamic in the Bomber offense. Any takers?
24blue

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 03:31:22 PM »

I disagree. Defenses are already crowding the los because of checkdown. If anything we need to spread the field out.
Pigskin

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »

Really. Wow.
Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 04:22:18 PM »

WOW. Just WOW. Worst idea of the day, month and possibly the season.

No more excuses.
LarryCross

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 04:38:48 PM »

Using two power backs spreads the workload for the offence and doubles the workload for a defence. Then. with defences cheating towards the run, passing opens up. Consider the chances created when a lateral goes to Streveller and he has the option of passing or running. That can cause db's to hesitate and give receivers extra time to get open for long gains. Passing opening up opens up running game. Double win.... Why have that much talent sitting on the bench when Nicholls returns?
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 05:09:51 PM »

Terrible idea aside, I really hate when people try to compare anyone to Mike Sellers. We were blessed to have him, but we're never seeing it again.

Sellers was a 285 lbs monster. He could pick up Streveler and eat him like a chicken wing.

My wife is amazing!
dd

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 05:13:35 PM »

I think the way we use Streveler when Nichols comes back is you send him in for short yardage, draw the defenses heavy package onto the field, and let him run the run-option and no huddle offense to show the defense a totally different look vs the Nichols pass oriented-check down defense. Of course, the defenses will counter by having their D tackles drop with fake injuries, but its a change of pace that will shake things up defensively and create some confusion, and that's what you want. That, plus Streveler gets to contribute offensively vs sit on the bench. having him in as fullback, you run the risk of injury to your #2 Qb in a predictable run formation.
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 05:38:23 PM »

Using two power backs spreads the workload for the offence and doubles the workload for a defence. Then. with defences cheating towards the run, passing opens up. Consider the chances created when a lateral goes to Streveller and he has the option of passing or running. That can cause db's to hesitate and give receivers extra time to get open for long gains. Passing opening up opens up running game. Double win.... Why have that much talent sitting on the bench when Nicholls returns?

First timer with 2 posts on one subject. Giving you the benefit of the doubt: You may not understand the ratio rules.

1. You can't have 2 players classified as a QB's on the field at the same time. By rule you'd have to classify Streveler as a receiver or RB and make him a DI. I'm not sure if he has any strength as a receiver or not but that skill is important for any RB in the CFL otherwise he'd be 1 dimensional. If he can't add value as a receiver that limits his overall value at RB in a dual threat.

2. Making him a DI means when he's on the field an import ( receiver ) is coming off. That is hardly going to open up the passing game if he's only a RB that can run.

3. Teams seldom use a FB as any real part of an offensive attack. More often than not they are mostly blockers when they are on the field.

4. Worst of all possibly you could in theory have both your starting QB and your # 2 QB injured on the same play.

While  a player not classified as a QB can play QB, a player classified as a QB is limited in the role he is allowed.

Brad Sinopoli could line up as a QB, without changing his classification to QB on any given play. He's a National and there would be no ratio impact.

OTOH if you classified him as QB then he couldn't play receiver if there was another QB on the field.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:08:40 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

No more excuses.
LarryCross

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 09:19:10 PM »

To Blue in BC - Thanks for clearing that up. I thought I had an idea which could give us an edge come playoff time. Guess not.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 10:29:13 PM »

Good way to end a career of a promosing Qb. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
kkc60

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 02:08:17 AM »

No, and here is why:
-Fullback is little used in our O
putting your #2 QB out as a blocker is risky
-we have never seen him block

Some gadget plays, sure. As a fullback or RB? No
J5V

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 02:16:04 AM »

Terrible idea aside, I really hate when people try to compare anyone to Mike Sellers. We were blessed to have him, but we're never seeing it again.

Sellers was a 285 lbs monster. He could pick up Streveler and eat him like a chicken wing.

LOL!

Go Bombers!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 05:18:25 AM »

I think Strev. will make a great receiver, fullback or running back. He barely throws as s QB and he runs with the ball all the time anyways...
iso_55

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 05:48:39 AM »

Our offense doesn't use two power backs so just where would Streveler play? Bad idea.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 06:56:42 AM »

Glad to see BinBC is going easy on the new poster!  Yes, can't be done.  But it's a good question anyhow.

However, after watching Augustine, I'd peg him in the "power rusher" category.  Certainly not at the power level of AH33, Powell or Gable.  But he's as much power as speed, IMHO.

So you could pretty easily play dual-back sets with both AH and JA, as they are both NATs (Canadian) and already rostered (JA as AH backup).  If you wanted to...

Heck, might be fun for poops and giggles.  But then wouldn't D's just load the box for run blitz?

Here's what I'd do:
1. Early in the game you do a dual-back set and pick one to fake and one to hand it to.  Go up the gut.
2. Few plays later show the same set, do a fake to both, and they both park as blockers in max-pro 7-man block. Then you have our QB with all day drop back to pass to one of 3 WRs running go routes in different 3rds of the field.  Or, perhaps even better, since they loaded the box, throw over the LBs in some sort of 25 yard crosser with the other WRs running layered clearing routes.
3. Put that set away and never use it again.

It'd be fun to see, just once, and achievable with 2 NATs.  Probably not worth the practice time.  But you never know, in garbage time in some game...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: