Blue Bombers Forum
December 01, 2020, 07:59:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2019/2020 Season  (Read 50488 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #795 on: October 22, 2020, 07:50:37 PM »

I can't see that being the case; they play opposite of one another. A top line of Connor (LW), Scheifele (C), and Laine (RW) is the future of this team. Frankly, I'm still surprised Laine getting more top line minutes remains a point of contention for his camp. He's a second overall with one of the best shots in hockey and has set some pretty incredible records for someone his age. It only stands to reason he'll end up a top 3 in the right environment.

At 34, the captain may benefit from a slightly reduced workload against weaker opponents, especially over time. Wheeler getting bumped down to the second line isn't some insult him or his play; he remains a phenomenal winger and is often the straw that stirs the drink of this team's speed and intensity. And he can still do just that on the second line.

It's difficult to compare Laine to Wheeler, as their styles differ noticeably. However, both are highly effective in their own special ways but it goes without saying 81-55-29 is the top line of the future. And the potential of such a line has me salivating at the possibilities.

And really, I'd love to see what a pair of best friends like Stastny and Wheeler could do together, not to mention having Ehlers on that LW. That's a very lethal top 6.

I mixed sides up I guess and thought Laine was LW and Ehlers was RW, which is how I got that.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #796 on: October 22, 2020, 11:38:25 PM »

I mixed sides up I guess and thought Laine was LW and Ehlers was RW, which is how I got that.

All good. I thought maybe you heard that from the ongoing rumour mill comments.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
blue_or_die

« Reply #797 on: October 23, 2020, 01:26:30 PM »

All good. I thought maybe you heard that from the ongoing rumour mill comments.

The last thing the rumour mill needs is input from me!  Cheesy

Pigskin

« Reply #798 on: October 26, 2020, 01:16:26 PM »

Have the Jet's done enough to make there D better? Should go after Travis Hamonic?
blue_or_die

« Reply #799 on: October 26, 2020, 05:54:00 PM »

Have the Jet's done enough to make there D better? Should go after Travis Hamonic?

I wanted a blockbuster D even if that was always going to be near impossible. A Hamonic wouldn't be a silver bullet for that group although I would welcome him. We need a top pair complement for Morrissey or something of the like. If the big fish are gone, we are going to remain too weak in this area.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #800 on: October 26, 2020, 06:00:18 PM »

I have to imagine they're at least talking to his camp. Hard to say if he'll resume playing in light of the pandemic, though. IIRC, he opted out of the playoffs for family reasons related to the pandemic.

Hard to say if the blue line is better but I also hope we see progress from prospects within the system, such as Samberg, Heinola, and Green.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pigskin

« Reply #801 on: October 26, 2020, 06:19:45 PM »

I have to imagine they're at least talking to his camp. Hard to say if he'll resume playing in light of the pandemic, though. IIRC, he opted out of the playoffs for family reasons related to the pandemic.

Hard to say if the blue line is better but I also hope we see progress from prospects within the system, such as Samberg, Heinola, and Green.

From the looks of things, they have to be banking on our prospests. Helly could be very busy again this year.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #802 on: October 26, 2020, 07:01:57 PM »

From the looks of things, they have to be banking on our prospests. Helly could be very busy again this year.

I hope not for either. My only conclusion is a trade of some kind is in the works. And if not, it should be worth exploring. Roslovic, Harkins, and Niku remain without contracts. As for between Hellebuyck is clearly capable of handling a heavy workload for a good portion of a season but putting him trough that for an entire season plus playoffs would be disastrous, IMO.

I'd love to see some kind of mini-blockbuster of sorts involving Perreault and Roslovic or Niku for a proven piece on the back end plus a pick or prospect.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pigskin

« Reply #803 on: October 27, 2020, 04:21:42 PM »

Does anyone have a ball park figure on our cap space. 
Jockitch

« Reply #804 on: October 27, 2020, 07:02:09 PM »

Using Cap Friendly ..... Jets show only just over $27K available with RFA's Harkins, Roslovic & Niku yet signed.
In all likely hood, Bryan Little will be kept on LTIR or retire, either way his Annual Average Cap Hit of $5,291,667 would be added to the above $27+.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE
Jockitch

« Reply #805 on: October 27, 2020, 07:16:35 PM »

No sooner do I post the above ........ Harkins signs for 2 yrs at a $725K AACap Hit ......... much less, figured $1M., than I thought he would get

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE
olwpgjet

« Reply #806 on: October 30, 2020, 01:47:23 AM »

Just throwing this out there,  another cheap option for defense,  I noticed Madison Bowey is an unrestricted free agent. I remember him, he was a really good skilled  dman in the dub, captained Kelowna to Memorial cup I believe , right handed dman  that could be signed  for probably a mill or less. Surprised Detroit didn't  offer sheet him. A Winnipeg boy , he might or might not make the big club , probably a 5/6 dman vying for a 3/4 spot  like half the guys we got now. I don't want to see Laine traded either and  Hamonic  is probably 3 or 4 mill more option but probably a lot better defensively at the moment. Bowey is about 25 now and should be hitting his prime, dmen usually take longer to break out.  I feel at minimum would be a great depth signing for us.
Pigskin

« Reply #807 on: October 30, 2020, 02:33:32 AM »

I could see Bowey as a 5/6. 6-2, 200lbs. 25 years. still has some room to grow.
New_Earth_Mud

My Past iz Muddy

« Reply #808 on: October 30, 2020, 03:36:14 AM »

Niku...  2 years. 1.5     Good deal

This guy will turn out to be good. I like our Finns. Keep them together.

Im not a fan of a big trade to get 1 Dman.  It wont make a huge difference. It wont get us a Cup.

Continue on our path and things will come. Keep our draft guys around and let them learn.

Stick to the plan

#35.... The Godfather of Swag
Pigskin

« Reply #809 on: October 30, 2020, 01:16:12 PM »

I am not a big Sami fan, but when your $700,000 over your $81.5M salary cap, you have to take what you can get.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55
  Print  

Jump to: