Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2019, 08:35:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Democracy watch...  (Read 603 times)
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2019, 07:01:31 PM »

When people say, "my vote wouldn't have mattered anyway", they're not talking about their ability to sway the election results, they're referring to the fact that they don't care who is in power, because they don't see a difference regardless.

Bingo.

While voting is not an obligation it really should.  If you don't like any of the candidates and what they offer you can go down to your designated voting station and inform them that you refuse to vote for any of the candidates.  This is counted separately and at least keeps a track record of those who are fed up with all parties and want a change in the system.

In other words, it wouldn't make a difference. And forcing the public to vote by making it mandatory is a terrible idea.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2019, 08:54:01 PM »

Maybe sometimes, but I think that when most people say that, they are usually referring to the fact that they live in a constituency that very heavily leans one direction and so their vote would not change that outcome. The only thing that could change that outcome would be more people voting but that assumes they would vote in other direction, but the person in question knows that neither of those things will happen in reality.

Good point. That's true as well.

My wife is amazing!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2019, 01:05:54 AM »

unless you live in the USA were you're presidential vote literally doesn't count as the president is elected via electoral votes, not popular citizen vote... generally, the electoral does follow the wishes indicated by the popular vote, but not always... more than 1 president put into office that wasn't the voting wishes of the voters...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2019, 12:10:34 PM »

unless you live in the USA were you're presidential vote literally doesn't count as the president is elected via electoral votes, not popular citizen vote... generally, the electoral does follow the wishes indicated by the popular vote, but not always... more than 1 president put into office that wasn't the voting wishes of the voters...

It's not entirely different in Canada. You vote for the candidate representing the constituency in which you live, and the government is formed by the party winning the most constituencies. So if I vote in a direction that is vastly different than the majority in my constituency, even if everyone else in the election outside my constituency votes with me, my constituency elects a seat that I do not agree with and so my vote effectively has no influence. For as much flack as the electoral college gets in the US, it's not like all other governments that follow a British parliamentary model elect everyone by popular vote as some might believe.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: