Democracy watch...

Started by theaardvark, September 10, 2019, 03:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on September 11, 2019, 05:43:19 PM
When people say, "my vote wouldn't have mattered anyway", they're not talking about their ability to sway the election results, they're referring to the fact that they don't care who is in power, because they don't see a difference regardless.

Bingo.

Quote from: bluengold204 on September 11, 2019, 07:04:02 PM
While voting is not an obligation it really should.  If you don't like any of the candidates and what they offer you can go down to your designated voting station and inform them that you refuse to vote for any of the candidates.  This is counted separately and at least keeps a track record of those who are fed up with all parties and want a change in the system.

In other words, it wouldn't make a difference. And forcing the public to vote by making it mandatory is a terrible idea.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Jesse

Quote from: blue_or_die on September 11, 2019, 06:15:20 PM
Maybe sometimes, but I think that when most people say that, they are usually referring to the fact that they live in a constituency that very heavily leans one direction and so their vote would not change that outcome. The only thing that could change that outcome would be more people voting but that assumes they would vote in other direction, but the person in question knows that neither of those things will happen in reality.

Good point. That's true as well.
My wife is amazing!

66 Chevelle

unless you live in the USA were you're presidential vote literally doesn't count as the president is elected via electoral votes, not popular citizen vote... generally, the electoral does follow the wishes indicated by the popular vote, but not always... more than 1 president put into office that wasn't the voting wishes of the voters...
just because you can doesn't mean you should...

blue_or_die

Quote from: 66 Chevelle on September 12, 2019, 02:05:54 AM
unless you live in the USA were you're presidential vote literally doesn't count as the president is elected via electoral votes, not popular citizen vote... generally, the electoral does follow the wishes indicated by the popular vote, but not always... more than 1 president put into office that wasn't the voting wishes of the voters...

It's not entirely different in Canada. You vote for the candidate representing the constituency in which you live, and the government is formed by the party winning the most constituencies. So if I vote in a direction that is vastly different than the majority in my constituency, even if everyone else in the election outside my constituency votes with me, my constituency elects a seat that I do not agree with and so my vote effectively has no influence. For as much flack as the electoral college gets in the US, it's not like all other governments that follow a British parliamentary model elect everyone by popular vote as some might believe.
#Ride?

In Motion

I'm 64 and have voted in every election at every level since age 18. Once when I lived in a rural
area, I shovelled my car through a blizzard to vote. Another time I went when I was sick with strep throat
and a high fever.

I feel it is my responsibility as a citizen to vote. In some countries, people have given their lives
to try to get the right to vote. I don't take it for granted.

If you go to a citizenship ceremony, they clearly state that it is your responsibility as a Canadian
citizen to vote.

Personally, I don't understand people who don't vote. Perhaps they haven't studied history
or they don't value freedom and democracy? 

Don't thumb your nose at this precious privilege. Go and vote. It's very easy to do in this country.
It only costs a few minutes of your time. Just do it!

pjrocksmb