Blue Bombers Forum
May 29, 2020, 06:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Roughriders, THE BB/The Rematch 9/7/2019  (Read 3746 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »

I'm not sold of Fajardo yet. He hasn't faced much adversity so far and coordinators have film now. His best two games statistically were week 2 and 3 against Ottawa and Toronto. He's thrown 9 TDs to 7 INTs and under 200 yards 3 times in his last 6 games. I'll grant that he's better than anyone thought he'd be, but I wouldn't be prepared to say the Riders have found a franchise QB yet.
John T.

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »

I originally had the Bombers pegged for 14-4, and I don't think they will be far off from that.  That being said, I fear one of the Montreal games could be a stinker for some reason, and the Sask game in Regina will be a challenge.

I think the Stamps are due for one more loss in the run out, to either Hamilton or Winnipeg.

I don't see Sask losing to the Als at home this week, but I certainly hope they do, because if they lose that one, a follow up loss to Toronto would be more likely (TO will put up a pile of yards on the Riders) and then they will be in full tailspin.

Edmonton's got a hard road ahead with the exception of Ottawa/BC, and and that point BC is playing spoiler, so you never know.

Will be an interesting last few weeks with Calgary/Winnipeg X 2 and Edm/Sask X2.

I'm of the same opinion....the battle for first place could well be decided on the very last game of the season.   That being said we were in good shape last year at this time after beating the Esks soundly in their barn and then the injuries started to pile up.   This year we have a bye week and the timing is perfect for getting some starters back for the home stretch....however we still need some luck on our side when it comes to staying healthy.    We are very deep in certain positions and hopefully we get Rempel back as he is key for Medlock in a tight game.   It will be close and I see battle for first on the horizon....we need to win first in the West for the first time since....Huh  

When WAS the last year we won first in our conference?   Was it 2001 when we were 14-4 and lost the GC?  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:59:58 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
blue_or_die

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »

I'm of the same opinion....the battle for first place could well be decided on the very last game of the season.   That being said we were in good shape last year at this time after beating the Esks soundly in their barn and then the injuries started to pile up.   This year we have a bye week and the timing is perfect for getting some starters back for the home stretch....however we still need some luck on our side when it comes to staying healthy.    We are very deep in certain positions and hopefully we get Rempel back as he is key for Medlock in a tight game.   It will be close and I see battle for first on the horizon....we need to win first in the West for the first time since....Huh  

When WAS the last year we won first in our conference?   Was it 2001 when we were 14-4 and lost the GC?  

We were in the East then, too, so if your question is when was the last time the Bombers won the west, then the answer is.......

...the 80s?? Anyone...? Huh

Pathetic that we would need Stats Junkie for this one, lol.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:10:18 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
John T.

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »

The bombers finished first in the East in 2011, the last time they went to the Grey Cup.

They beat Hamilton in the East Final, in what was supposed to be the last ever game at CanadInns Stadium, with a touchdown on the last play of the game, a perfect ending for the old barn.

Of course, we all know what happened next. IGF wasn't ready, so they had to play 2012 at the old stadium, and it started what was possibly the worst era in Bomber history, with several consecutive years of losing football.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »

The bombers finished first in the East in 2011, the last time they went to the Grey Cup.

They beat Hamilton in the East Final, in what was supposed to be the last ever game at CanadInns Stadium, with a touchdown on the last play of the game, a perfect ending for the old barn.

Of course, we all know what happened next. IGF wasn't ready, so they had to play 2012 at the old stadium, and it started what was possibly the worst era in Bomber history, with several consecutive years of losing football.
Ah yes....our  2011 GC appearance against BC with the Buckmeister as our QB.  I was thinking back to the last time we won the Western Conference and checking Wikipedia it was 1972 where we went 11-4-1 and lost the final to guess who....the Riders?

So that's approaching a half century!!  It's time baby!!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
blue girl

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2019, 08:14:41 PM »

We were in the East then, too, so if your question is when was the last time the Bombers won the west, then the answer is.......

...the 80s?? Anyone...? Huh

Pathetic that we would need Stats Junkie for this one, lol.
I've been following this team for 44 years and not once can I remember them finishing first in the west.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »

I've been following this team for 44 years and not once can I remember them finishing first in the west.
1st in the West division ugh you got me there.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »

Yeah he is a short arm passer...many like him before had lots of success..it lends for a very quick release

Strev's throwing motion is extremely strange.  It might be why he seems to have trouble with dialling in the range on the deep pass?

My question: can you name some who you remember having a similar motion?  I can't think of any recent CFL QBs with that motion?  Maybe Crompton would be closest?

Will be an interesting last few weeks with Calgary/Winnipeg X 2 and Edm/Sask X2.

Oh ya baby!  This year's schedule looked really odd and bad earlier in the season, but you really couldn't ask for a more exciting last third to the season.  And I'm talking CFL-wide.  Of course I'd prefer an "easier" set of games for our team Grin but I'll take what we've been given.

but I have respect for the job Fajardo has done this year. If the Riders' backup QB had been weak, Saskatchewan would be battling BC for last place right now.

Oh I don't disagree.  I think the question really is, though, will Fajardo be the clear #1 in SSK next year, with only a nobody as #2?  That's the answer to "is Fajardo a legit starter".  And does the answer to that depend on SSK's record over the remainder of the season?

Screw talking about it here, I'm making a poll thread for that exact question...

I'm not sold of Fajardo yet. He hasn't faced much adversity so far and coordinators have film now. His best two games statistically were week 2 and 3 against Ottawa and Toronto. He's thrown 9 TDs to 7 INTs and under 200 yards 3 times in his last 6 games. I'll grant that he's better than anyone thought he'd be, but I wouldn't be prepared to say the Riders have found a franchise QB yet.

Thanks SB&G, I'm completely on the same page as you.

Never go full Rider!
Norm W

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »

Strev's throwing motion is extremely strange.  It might be why he seems to have trouble with dialling in the range on the deep pass?

My question: can you name some who you remember having a similar motion?  I can't think of any recent CFL QBs with that motion?  Maybe Crompton would be closest?

As I'm the one that initially suggested he has an odd throwing motion I would also say its just odd, I don't think it detracts from his ability to play the position at a high level. QB's don't get NFL & CFL looks if there mechanics prevent them from being able to throw a football with the required degree of zip and accuracy.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue girl

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »

1st in the West division ugh you got me there.
I googled it last night and according to Wikipedia the last time the Bombers finished first in the west was '72. I would have been 8 and not really following the team then. Can anybody out there confirm this?
ichabod_crane

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »

A little bit before my time following the Bombers, but in 1972 they won the western division regular season title. Don Jonas was the QB with "mini-me" Mack Heron the running back and Jim Thorpe the primary receiver. They lost to the Riders though in the western final in one of the most bizarre ways imaginable! (see Wikipedia link below for more details)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_CFL_season

The Bombers were also in a three way tie for first place in the west for the 1977 season, but due to tie breakers wound up in 3rd place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_CFL_season
theaardvark

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:01 PM »

I googled it last night and according to Wikipedia the last time the Bombers finished first in the west was '72. I would have been 8 and not really following the team then. Can anybody out there confirm this?

So, finishing first will end a longer streak of frustration than the GC drought...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »

So, finishing first will end a longer streak of frustration than the GC drought...

When in the Western Division Yes, but the Bombers won the Eastern division several times before finally moving back to the West.
theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »

When in the Western Division Yes, but the Bombers won the Eastern division several times before finally moving back to the West.

Ahhh... that makes sense...  but still...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: