Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Roughriders, THE BB/The Rematch 9/7/2019  (Read 3723 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 06:46:09 PM »

I think Edmonton is regressing weekly. I suspect Edmonton is heading east for the playoffs, only because BC and Ottawa are so terrible.

I agree... which I'm not necessarily happy about, just yet anyway... I was hoping that between Calgary, Sask, and Edmonton that they would beat up on each other and split their remaining games to give us some breathing room...

the rest of the schedule for the top 4 in the west is:

WIN: @MTL, HAM, @SSK, MTL, @CAL, CAL   Finish  1st at 14-4
CAL: HAM, @TOR, @MTL, SSK, WIN, @WIN, BC    Finish 2nd at 13-5
SSK: MTL, @TOR, WIN, @CAL, @BC, @EDM, EDM    Finish 3rd at 10-8
EDM: HAM, @OTT, @HAM, BC, SSK, @SSK    Finish 4th at 9-9

projected wins in bold...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue girl

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »

I think Edmonton is regressing weekly. I suspect Edmonton is heading east for the playoffs, only because BC and Ottawa are so terrible.
I also believe that Edmonton will be going east. It will be interesting to see how much time (if any) Harris misses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »

I agree... which I'm not necessarily happy about, just yet anyway... I was hoping that between Calgary, Sask, and Edmonton that they would beat up on each other and split their remaining games to give us some breathing room...

I hope you are correct!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue girl

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »

WOW I just looked at this more carefully and I have to say that I totally agree with it.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »

Amazing game.  I said I would judge this team officially after labour day.  Yup #1.  Nuff said.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »

WPG might lose 1-2 more than you show.
CGY also will lose 1-2 more than you show.
SSK may lose to any of TOR, BC or the 2nd EDM game (depending on Trevor); I bet SSK wins 2 more, 3 is the best case for them.
EDM should win at least 1 HAM game (with Trevor).
BC will improve going into the season end as long as MR is still there, so they aren't free bingo spots.

So IMO you're close, but my reading puts SSK behind EDM, or maybe tied and the season series deciding it.  And I think WPG/CGY will lose a bit more games.  At least for WPG, 14 wins is a very hard result to achieve, as it even was for CGY in past years.

I think a good HAM and MTL (maybe even TOR!) make the predictions a bit tricky and you have to assume good W teams may lose some games to those guys (and even possibly BC).

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 02:53:08 AM »

Our next game is in Montreal where we seem to play pretty well recently.....the Als are playing well and with Matthews on their roster it should be interesting....assuming he plays?

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 03:21:19 AM »

I disagree techno, IMO Sask is a a good team. I also think that this season has seen some great play from unknown, back-ups and newbies to the league at the Qb position, and I include Fajardo in that group. IMO I believe he has been a great surprise and yes he has areas to improve on but he shows great promise. I honestly believe that if Collaros stayed healthy the Riders would not be as good as they are today.

Funny, because I totally agree with what you say, now I'm not sure what you disagreed with me on!

Yes, backups have come to life and been better than we could have expected.  Yes, Fajardo has had some great play, certainly better than anyone would have guessed based on last 2-3 years relief efforts.  Yes, Collaros wouldn't have done any better, but that is not saying much.  Collaros was a horrible choice as #1 QB.

OK, I disagree on one point: "great promise".  Out of all the backup-cum-starter QBs this year, I'd put Fajardo near the back of the pack (and I'm not including Kilgore).  I'd take Strev, Arbuckle, Franklin, Adams before Fajardo.  I peg Fajardo near MBT in terms of "likely to still be starting in 2-3 years": not very good odds but could surprise us.

I guess I differ from most in thinking that Fajardo isn't a "sure thing" as a starter in this league.  But he obviously makes a great backup.  When SSK takes a bunch of losses for the rest of the year, and falls to 4th, I can see a lot of the Fajardo lustre wearing off amongst greenie fans.  Then does SSK decide to roll with Fajardo as their only #1 QB in 2020?  To me that smacks of the mistake OTT made this year with Dom (rushing a #2 into service too soon).

Of course, I could be very wrong!  But that's how I see it.

Another fun observation, check out "the sack" by Willie. You know the one where he mysteriously make the o-line disappear and hits the QB causing a fumble.
[...]
At least Hecht & one LB blitz
[...]
Fun seeing the creativity to create confusion.

Yup, I have that play as a highlight in my upcoming GB&U!  Great play.  My favorite part is: watch Hecht.  Hall & team have come up with possible solutions to the super quick slants and hitches SSK relies on!  Hecht's only job there is to jump through the lane when the pass is coming!  He does it a few times in the game.  I think this is a great development to combat SSK & HAM who rely heavily on those plays and short-gain wide-outs.

Sask is an average team that gives above average effort every game and their fan support at home makes them hard to beat in their barn. I see a wpg-cgy-edm-sask-bc finish in the west

I totally agree... but only at home.  Out of every team I think SSK relies the most on the "home energy" and definitely cares more about home wins than away wins.  Because they are under so much pressure at home they put in twice as much effort there.  It's quite incredible.  When away, I see SSK as quite average.  They certainly left the energy in Regina when they showed up at the BB.

It's funny, because WPG seems to be more of an "away team" in the last 3 years (not as much this year).  I always feel that our guys get nervous at home with the pressure and work better away when there is no pressure.

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »

The Leveler has shown nice progression through each start.....a very good sign....you can see it is slowing down for him now, and he isn't as excited and over eager in the pocket with his passes....he's starting to stand in there, set up properly and make solid throws...and it's only gonna get better with reps...and familiarity with the things he sees...

The intangible tho with him is his fiery warrior leadership and it rubs off on his team..they see him lay it all out there, and it elevates them. His rushing just demorilizes and wears down a defense...and once he is more pocket polished and adept at passing...his running is going to be even more pummeling...especially when defences won't/can't be looking for it first

I recall on Riderfans how spying Judge on him would render him useless...I guess that didn't pan out, as seen when Big Chris just ran right through him like a highschool linebacker haha
Norm W

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »

The Leveler .... he's starting to stand in there, set up properly and make solid throws...and it's only gonna get better with reps...and familiarity with the things he sees...

I agree with most of what you said in the entire post, but don't you think he has an odd throwing motion? Its very abbreviated... He doesn't seem to get the ball anywhere near his ear, its often barely parallel with his throwing shoulder which results in very minimal follow through to the target. 

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue_or_die

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »

OK, I disagree on one point: "great promise".  Out of all the backup-cum-starter QBs this year, I'd put Fajardo near the back of the pack (and I'm not including Kilgore).  I'd take Strev, Arbuckle, Franklin, Adams before Fajardo.  I peg Fajardo near MBT in terms of "likely to still be starting in 2-3 years": not very good odds but could surprise us.

I guess I differ from most in thinking that Fajardo isn't a "sure thing" as a starter in this league.  But he obviously makes a great backup.  When SSK takes a bunch of losses for the rest of the year, and falls to 4th, I can see a lot of the Fajardo lustre wearing off amongst greenie fans.  Then does SSK decide to roll with Fajardo as their only #1 QB in 2020?  To me that smacks of the mistake OTT made this year with Dom (rushing a #2 into service too soon).

I disagree, I think Fajardo has been spectacular. I've rewatched highlights several times from this past game and have seen quite a few Rider games, and dare I say he is their best player on offense. He has a great ability to make something out of nothing using his arm (while Streveler can do that as well but with his legs).

The part we all seem to be agreeing on is Fajardo is far and away better than Collaros is now, and Sask can attribute their spot in the standings to his emergence. Sask is not doing well despite missing their starting QB, they're doing well because they seem to have found a legit starting QB.

I've heard so many comments from Rider fans along the lines of, "...and yet we are missing our starting QB!", implying this was some great adversity overcome by putting in their "backup". What they had as a backup just happens to be far better than who they thought their starter was.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

I agree with most of what you said in the entire post, but don't you think he has an odd throwing motion? Its very abbreviated... He doesn't seem to get the ball anywhere near his ear, its often barely parallel with his throwing shoulder which results in very minimal follow through to the target. 
Yeah he is a short arm passer...many like him before had lots of success..it lends for a very quick release, and is lethal for a scrambling QB as he can get the ball out on the run in a nanosecond..the throws we seen though that are way off is him getting to excited and rushing things...that will go away with experience
BlueInCgy

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

I originally had the Bombers pegged for 14-4, and I don't think they will be far off from that.  That being said, I fear one of the Montreal games could be a stinker for some reason, and the Sask game in Regina will be a challenge.

I think the Stamps are due for one more loss in the run out, to either Hamilton or Winnipeg.

I don't see Sask losing to the Als at home this week, but I certainly hope they do, because if they lose that one, a follow up loss to Toronto would be more likely (TO will put up a pile of yards on the Riders) and then they will be in full tailspin.

Edmonton's got a hard road ahead with the exception of Ottawa/BC, and and that point BC is playing spoiler, so you never know.

Will be an interesting last few weeks with Calgary/Winnipeg X 2 and Edm/Sask X2.
John T.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »

I think Fajardo has been spectacular. I've rewatched highlights several times from this past game and have seen quite a few Rider games, and dare I say he is their best player on offense. He has a great ability to make something out of nothing using his arm (while Streveler can do that as well but with his legs).

Fajardo was, on Saturday, by far and away the best Rider on the field, in my opinion. I don't like the Riders, I have never liked the Riders, and I never will like the Riders, but I have respect for the job Fajardo has done this year. If the Riders' backup QB had been weak, Saskatchewan would be battling BC for last place right now.
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

I used to like Gainey, thought he had a lot of talent. 

After this last game, chirping the Bomber bench when they are down a ton, just wrong.  So low class.  I guess he's tired of being embarrassed by the team, and his ankles are probably still recovering from the missed tackle on JA last week...  and he follows that embarrassment up with 1 tackle this week. 

Mr. Gainey, your 15 minutes are up...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: