Blue Bombers Forum
May 29, 2020, 05:33:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Roughriders, THE BB/The Rematch 9/7/2019  (Read 3745 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »

FIRST HALF THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS....

I'll start by saying that some of those I was critical of last week in the loss stepped it up this week... the O line... Medlock's punting... both much improved and impacted the game for the Bombers...  For me, this is a must win game... not only to keep a hold of the league in the West but also to keep from losing the series to the Riders that could play into things come play off time...

well, you have to love what we saw in the first series by the Blue Bombers... a long, 100 yd drive that also chewed up 8:28 of the clock... supplying that much needed 'punch in the face' needed to the Riders...

from the start, Streveler with the 20 yd first down run out of the end zone to allow the drive to gain momentum... Augustine's STRONG running... Hughes paying Streveler respect by having to hold and protect the option which allowed Augustine to get another first down...

Darvin taking the penalty in the end zone to get us to the 1 yard line... then Streveler finishing it off... TOUCHDOWN BOMBERS!

then we respond with a Jefferson sack to force the Riders into a 2 and out when they finally do get the ball... you have to love it... The Bombers came out and set the tone for the game...

The over throw to Woli in the second series was unfortunate but I did like the effort that Woli put into the play, laying out and trying to make a circus catch... but we have to do better than giving the Riders a 2 and out... on the first play of that series I would have liked to see us take the run to the outside... I think we don't do enough of that... seems like we always try up the middle with our backs... lets stretch the defense out, make them run the play down instead of always taking it right to them...

then the wheels fall off the cart... allowing big catches... Rios got fooled on one play... stupid penalties... with as few rushers as we were sending there shouldn't have been any receivers that open... way to early to move to the prevent defense...  but we did dodge a bullet though, making the Riders settle for a field goal...

the next series? all I can say is "Streveler The Leveler"... such incredible running... then to cap it off with a TD toss to Petermann, and a pretty throw as well, a lot of touch on that ball... you have to love it... this is what Streveler brings to the game that few can duplicate... I will say though, the second over throw to Woli... not a good look...

then, special teams pulling their weight with Grant making a beautiful run for the TD...  you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him, lol...

while sitting there watching the game I'm thinking to myself... O'Shea's 'next man up' philosophy, it's working for us at the moment... no Nichols, Lucky, Harris, Demski, Rempel, Nelson, Jeffcoat, Alexander, etc... we get big time play out of players like Streveler, Augustine, Bailey, Petermann, Grant

Jefferson... worth. every. penny. we. pay. him.  PERIOD!  end of the half and he gets a big sack and forced fumble that the Bombers recover just outside of the red zone... setting up a half ending touchdown that included a fake short yardage dive that was a Petermann completion, followed by a strong Augustine run yet again taking it to the goal line, followed by a Streveler TD... Bombers take a 28-3 lead into the locker room with what can only be called a dominant performance...

I did get a little worried when I saw Streveler almost doubled over in what looked like a possible injury... dodged one there...

so, we go into the locker room having won a bunch of the key parts of the game...

TOP: Bombers: 21:01  -  Riders: 8:59
Total Yards: Bombers: 186 yds  -  Riders: 82 yards
Turn Overs: Bombers: 0  -  Riders: 1
Points off Turn Overs:  Bombers: 7  -  Riders: 0
Sacks: Bombers: 3  -  Riders: 1
Penalties: Bombers: 3/37 yards  -  Riders: 5/64 yards

Streveler was 11/15 for 95 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTS... added another 59 yards running for a total of 154 total yards... Augstine only had 32 yards thus far on 9 carries but they were big runs as far as impact... at the time, it seemed liked Johnny had more yards than that based upon the impact of the runs... Petermann 2 big catches, 1 for a TD... but I love the way he plays... Bailey looked good in his debut, looked ready to play ball for sure...

Bombers go into the locker room having won all 3 phases of the game; offense, defense, and special teams...  let's see if our Bombers bring this one home in the second half...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »

what a start in the 2nd half... what a throw by Streveler to Augustine for the touchdown... these 2 are making the most of their opportunity and seem willing to carry this team through an adverse situation...

And what about Bailey?  nothing huge yards wise but playing hard and making plays... looks like he wants to be and stay a Bomber... things get tough, or do they, when players start coming back?

66 Chevelle

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »

I'm going to end it right here and come back later with some overall game stats...

I'm going to give a game ball to an unlikely suspect here... the O line... whatever they worked on this week in practice it sure paid off... It helped to show what Streveler can do passing when he has time to throw the ball... both of those TD passes he had thrown to this point showed both accuracy and touch...  he goes 14/18, 77.8%, for 175 yards and    2 touchdowns and 0 INTS...  that would be a great stat line for him for a complete game... this is just about mid way through the 3rd quarter...

Augustine may have been playing with a chip on his shoulder... I don't care... the young man as earned the right to more touches, even when Harris is back...

And Bailey... it should be tough to take him out of the starting line up...

now, if we lose this thing I'll be more than a little shocked and embarassed....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:11:34 PM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »

Yes. Augustine has shown he can be very productive and we should see him more in the last part of the season. That will keep Harris fresh and defenses struggling to control our RB's and QB's.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »

by the numbers:

TOP: Bombers: 34:26  -  Riders: 25:24
Total Yards: Bombers: 341 yds  -  Riders: 303 yards
Rushing Yards: Bombers: 155 yds -  Riders: 53 yards
Passing Yards: Bombers: 186 yds  -  Riders: 250 yards
Turn Overs: Bombers: 0 -  Riders: 3
Points off Turn Overs:  Bombers: 7  -  Riders: 0
Sacks: Bombers: 5 -  Riders: 3
Penalties: Bombers: 6/77 yards  -  Riders: 6/72 yards

Streveler finished the game 15/21, 71.4%, for 186 yds, 2 TDS, 0 INTs, with a long of 58 yards... added another 70 yds and 2 TDs on 11 carries for a total of 256 yards...
Augustine had 75 yds on 16 carries and added another 63 yds and a touchdown through the air... that gave him a total of 138 total yds...

Rose picks up another INT for himself and continues to lead the league with 8 INTs...

Darvin had 47 yards for the day on 4 of 6 pass receptions...

Bailey add 43 yards as well on 1 rushing attempt and 5 pass receptions...

Jefferson continues to be a monster with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble...

Nevis, Wilson, and Hecht each chipped in with a sack apiece...

Medlock did not attempt a single field goal this game... and his punting was much better than last week...

I like how the team answered in the second half... we may have not been going 100% in the second half with play calling but he didn't go to the prevent offense like we have in the past...

defense let a few plays happen but still only allowed the Riders to find the end zone 1 time for the entire game...  and not to mention, how few actual scoring opportunities, or trips to the red zone the Riders had for the game...

I think overall you have to like how we played today and moving forward we should only get better... makes you hate that we have a bye coming up next week as you'd like to see them back at it next week to build on the momentum...

probably going to be pretty quite around here for the next couple of weeks, lol...

3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »

I think you have to like Strev
How can you not...wow!
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:25:52 PM »

Sask is good, we love to hate them....but in all honesty they are a good team
the paw

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »

I really like the way Streveler is developing.  Even though the accuracy is still poor, he is making good decisions by not trying to force throws in there. He?s throwing it away when he has to.  He needs to figure out the grounding rule, but he by using his running ability more judiciously, I think it is more effective.  Very solid game.

Augustine ran consistently, nice workmanlike performance.  His TD was nice, but Lapo gets most of the credit.  Subbing in Janarion Grant and faking the sweep to him froze everyone, and opened the seam up for Johnny A.

Like Rasheed Bailey, he showed some stuff.  I like Lawler more for downfield, but Bailey looked dangerous on the short stuff Lucky usually runs.

This is a deep team, but also a team that is well prepared and well coached.

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »

I really like the way Streveler is developing.  Even though the accuracy is still poor, he is making good decisions by not trying to force throws in there. He?s throwing it away when he has to.  He needs to figure out the grounding rule, but he by using his running ability more judiciously, I think it is more effective.  Very solid game.

Augustine ran consistently, nice workmanlike performance.  His TD was nice, but Lapo gets most of the credit.  Subbing in Janarion Grant and faking the sweep to him froze everyone, and opened the seam up for Johnny A.

Like Rasheed Bailey, he showed some stuff.  I like Lawler more for downfield, but Bailey looked dangerous on the short stuff Lucky usually runs.

This is a deep team, but also a team that is well prepared and well coached.

I'll give him credit as well, but... it is his job and it's thing like that and the fake short yardage play in the red zone that was actually a pass to Petermann, and the play were everyone looked confused and then the hurry up snap and dive for a first down... 

don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a lot of trick play, but be cognizant of the football situation and call accordingly...

blue girl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »

Great first half. Total dominance from the Bombers starting with the first drive when the offence ate up the clock. This was a game when all three phases contributed. Just wait until we get Nichols, Harris, Jeffcoat, Alexander and possibly Neufeld back. The only thing is that I agree that Streveler has to learn the intentional grounding rule. That's two games in a row that he's taken this penalty. Fortunately this week it didn't hurt them.
DM83

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 12:44:47 AM »

Finally we have players and a team that actually is "Getting better" each week. Aaaaaghhhh! Feels good.
TrueBlue75

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 01:04:07 AM »

What a great all-around game! So nice to see the team beat up the mouthy riders! One of my favourite moments was from Proulx...?There are two penalties on the play...? and then ends with ?This is a wash? and walks away. Mic drop, lol!
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »

What a great all-around game! So nice to see the team beat up the mouthy riders! One of my favourite moments was from Proulx...?There are two penalties on the play...? and then ends with ?This is a wash? and walks away. Mic drop, lol!

That was...amazing. Laughed out loud.

My wife is amazing!
tlf

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »

I think you have to like Strev
How can you not...wow!

His accuracy and decision making are lacking. He?s ok and got the job done thankfully but he?s not a full time starter.
dd

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 01:28:46 AM »

Not yet, but I?d gladly take him over the names suggested a couple of weeks ago, namely franklin, davis, Glenn , egad!!

Exponentially better this week and exciting to watch. He?s an absolute truck when he runs!!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2019, 01:54:30 AM »

He was much more well-rounded this week. He was actually a threat as a passer. That truly changes things for him.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2019, 03:57:32 AM »

His accuracy and decision making are lacking. He?s ok and got the job done thankfully but he?s not a full time starter.
His completion percentage today was 71%....and he threw two beautiful balls to Peterman and Augustine for TDs.   Then he ran the ball for a first down when we were 2nd and 17 from our 3 YL.    He made some good throws over the middle as well on that first drive.    Yes he overthrew Woli a few times but he was under pressure on the first one.    He runs angry and smacked a few Riders in the mouth on that second drive which energized the entire bench.   He played well enough in the LDC to win it but our D was unable to hold them after having them pinned at the 5YL.   He could quite easily be 3-0 as a starter.   So what more can you possibly ask of you back up QB??   Both Matt Dunigan and Henry Burris think he will be a great QB in this league....I'm going with their wisdom of the game and judgement of football talent!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:07:58 AM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2019, 07:50:11 AM »

the next series? all I can say is "Streveler The Leveler"... such incredible running... then to cap it off with a TD toss to Petermann, and a pretty throw as well, a lot of touch on that ball... you have to love it... this is what Streveler brings to the game that few can duplicate... I will say though, the second over throw to Woli... not a good look...

Riders should watch our videos!  In the "Bomber Blitz" video from the day before the game they showed Strev practising that exact play -- soft touch throw through the uprights!  That exact play!  Like they were practising that as their go-to TD play for this game.

I love how it was to Petermann, who probably draws the weakest defender in man.

I'm going to give a game ball to an unlikely suspect here... the O line... whatever they worked on this week in practice it sure paid off... It helped to show what Streveler can do passing when he has time to throw the ball.

OL was much stronger and fixed many problems.  Gray & Desjar looked legit, and showed that both will one day be our valid, non-injury starters.  However, Micah & Hughes looked deflated compared to the LDC.  I think they pick their battles, and winning in the 'Jina was simply more important than winning in WPG.  And I don't mean they lost morale partway through the game: I mean they started with less energy overall.  Then they got deflated.

Also, Dickerson the Lesser's interview after halftime hinted that they had basically given up hope of winning.  I thought that very odd.  If we got 28 in a half, so could they in the next half.  That should have been the Greenie message.  But Dickerson was like "play for pride" blah blah.  No wonder they came out and continued losing if their braintrust had given up any hope of winning!

Sask is good, we love to hate them....but in all honesty they are a good team

No they're not.  They're an OK team with a good D, decent cheatin' ST, and mediocre O.  The SSK O we saw today is the real SSK O.  It's all short passes, wide outs and Fajito runs.  Heck, at least in '18 they had a vicious run game (it's all they had)!  What was their run game vs WPG in 2 games?  Nowhere to be seen for the most part.

I love how they said WPG has been practising ways to attack that Fajito roll out move to escape pressure.  He still beat us on 3-4 plays, but we got him on another 2-3.  We'll keep honing it!

Now, if Trevor is out of EDM long term, SSK could take 2 extra wins, jacking their remaining win count to possibly 4.  But they won't win more than 4 games!  That could put them ahead of EDM by year's end meaning: WPG CGY SSK west seed.  But if Trevor is back, it's off to the east crossover for SSK, where western teams go to die.

I'm pretty sure Francais does not have a literal equivalent to "a wash", so kudos to Proulx for picking up on one of our better Anglicisms!  I'm sure our French Winnipeg friends will correct me if I'm wrong...

When I saw the ref was Proulx I was thanking the heavens above (that it wasn't Foxcroft), then did a double-take, as I never thought I'd be thanking anyone for Proulx!

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »

Hey, 66 (and everyone!), check out the 1Q6:45 play.  We have 5 OL + Miller + Bailey blocking, interesting in and of itself because I've been told the CFL doesn't utilize 7 pass blockers  Grin Grin

But I digress: the interesting part of this play is at the snap, the 4DL+HB jump into the neutral zone, as you'd expect, but they aren't engaging our guys.  They hang there dancing for a very short period waiting for... the fake handoff to JA!  As soon as they've sensed it's fake and Strev spins around (360!) and still has the ball, the 5 SSK pass rushers turn on the jets and gun it for Strev.  Luckily our 7 blockers were amazing and there was zero pressure.

Why'd they wait?  Of course everyone here knows.  Respect the run game.  JA had done 2-3 decent rushes before this.  SSK had to wait to see what play to defend because we have a great run game.  That slowed them down maybe a second in their pass rush, and gave Strev more than enough time.

Ok, so what, this is common knowledge.  But I just found this one instance to be such a perfect illustration of the run game effect on DLs.  You really couldn't script it any better.  It's so darn beautiful.  I bet Lapo was very pleased to see that as well.

This is what guys like BC, and TOR and even HAM (with STE out) and SSK (lately) are missing with their no run game.  I guess that's the "pin their ears back" effect as the DLs don't have to wait that extra second before attacking.

Never go full Rider!
1chad

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »

Hey, 66 (and everyone!), check out the 1Q6:45 play.  We have 5 OL + Miller + Bailey blocking, interesting in and of itself because I've been told the CFL doesn't utilize 7 pass blockers  Grin Grin

But I digress: the interesting part of this play is at the snap, the 4DL+HB jump into the neutral zone, as you'd expect, but they aren't engaging our guys.  They hang there dancing for a very short period waiting for... the fake handoff to JA!  As soon as they've sensed it's fake and Strev spins around (360!) and still has the ball, the 5 SSK pass rushers turn on the jets and gun it for Strev.  Luckily our 7 blockers were amazing and there was zero pressure.

Why'd they wait?  Of course everyone here knows.  Respect the run game.  JA had done 2-3 decent rushes before this.  SSK had to wait to see what play to defend because we have a great run game.  That slowed them down maybe a second in their pass rush, and gave Strev more than enough time.

Ok, so what, this is common knowledge.  But I just found this one instance to be such a perfect illustration of the run game effect on DLs.  You really couldn't script it any better.  It's so darn beautiful.  I bet Lapo was very pleased to see that as well.

This is what guys like BC, and TOR and even HAM (with STE out) and SSK (lately) are missing with their no run game.  I guess that's the "pin their ears back" effect as the DLs don't have to wait that extra second before attacking.

This is perfect.  It's the kind of stuff you miss when at the game, that's why I PVR the game and watch it when I get home.  Grin
3rdand1.5

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2019, 12:05:46 PM »

I disagree techno, IMO Sask is a a good team. I also think that this season has seen some great play from unknown, back-ups and newbies to the league at the Qb position, and I include Fajardo in that group. IMO I believe he has been a great surprise and yes he has areas to improve on but he shows great promise. I honestly believe that if Collaros stayed healthy the Riders would not be as good as they are today.
TBURGESS

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2019, 01:09:29 PM »

Excellent game by the Bombers. Pretty much total domination. No Harris, no Nichols, no Whitehead, no Demski, no problem.

Riders are a middle of the pack team that is dangerous when they're on. I expect that we're fighting with Calgary for 1st by the end of the year.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
rubanski

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2019, 01:21:39 PM »

Another fun observation, check out "the sack" by Willie. You know the one where he mysteriously make the o-line disappear and hits the QB causing a fumble.

Pre Snap:
Fenner lines up giving the WR a big fat cushion for coverage.
After Fajardo looks away from him, Fenner sprints up in to press coverage before the snap.
Meanwhile Willie was lined up on the edge, but sneaks sneaks in between the tackles.

After the snap:
At least Hecht & one LB blitz
I think Fajardo sees trouble coming, his blitz read must have been to Fenner's guy. He looks there, and Fenner is on the rec like white on rice.
Fajardo says "oh poop" and eats a sack/fumble.

Fun seeing the creativity to create confusion.
dd

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2019, 01:25:40 PM »

Sask is an average team that gives above average effort every game and their fan support at home makes them hard to beat in their barn. I see a wpg-cgy-edm-sask-bc finish in the west
Horseman

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »

Another fun observation, check out "the sack" by Willie. You know the one where he mysteriously make the o-line disappear and hits the QB causing a fumble.

Pre Snap:
Fenner lines up giving the WR a big fat cushion for coverage.
After Fajardo looks away from him, Fenner sprints up in to press coverage before the snap.
Meanwhile Willie was lined up on the edge, but sneaks sneaks in between the tackles.

After the snap:
I think Fajardo sees trouble coming, his blitz read must have been to Fenner's guy. He looks there, and Fenner is on the rec like white on rice.
Fajardo says "oh poop" and eats a sack/fumble.

That's exactly how all of our DB's should be playing their receiver when we have a blitz dialled up. You know the QB will be throwing quickly once he sees the blitz coming.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2019, 03:27:27 PM »

for those that were lucky enough to go to the game yesterday, you missed a cool little story about Streveler and his pro day... seems that he forgot his shoes when he went so he went to the 'lost and found' and found the closet pair of shoes that fit him, a size 11... however he actually wears size 13... so the shoes were 2 sizes too small and they were these odd high tops (he called them Spiderman shoes), yet he still ran a 4.47 in the 40....

after his pro day he went and order another pair just like them but in the right size... the same high top type of shoe he wears on game day now as the ones he found in the lost in found box... lol... 

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2019, 04:29:07 PM »

Excellent game by the Bombers. Pretty much total domination. No Harris, no Nichols, no Whitehead, no Demski, no problem.

Riders are a middle of the pack team that is dangerous when they're on. I expect that we're fighting with Calgary for 1st by the end of the year.
Fjardo's quick rise as a starting QB was unexpected and he has propelled them into being s contender this season.    Streveler otoh has also kept us in first place with his leadership and grit and once his passing game rounds into form....watch out!   

3rdand1.5

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2019, 04:37:31 PM »

The thing IMO about Strev. Is at 24 he has a-lot of live game action. He has certain areas to work on, but again being only 24 he could take another couple seasons to work on his weaknesses and still only be 26. IF He can improve on his weaknesses and continue to get live speed action, the game will slow down and he COULD become a long term starter in this league.
Maybe stats junkie could help out but in relation to other 24 year old qbs he I would guess has to be the top of the charts for live snap counts.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2019, 05:13:34 PM »

The thing IMO about Strev. Is at 24 he has a-lot of live game action. He has certain areas to work on, but again being only 24 he could take another couple seasons to work on his weaknesses and still only be 26. IF He can improve on his weaknesses and continue to get live speed action, the game will slow down and he COULD become a long term starter in this league.
Maybe stats junkie could help out but in relation to other 24 year old qbs he I would guess has to be the top of the charts for live snap counts.
My feelings precisely.....his youth, tremendous athleticism, intelligence and leadership qualities are definitely positive factors in his development as a starting QB

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 05:31:57 PM »

Sask is an average team that gives above average effort every game and their fan support at home makes them hard to beat in their barn. I see a wpg-cgy-edm-sask-bc finish in the west

I think Edmonton is regressing weekly. I suspect Edmonton is heading east for the playoffs, only because BC and Ottawa are so terrible.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2019, 06:46:09 PM »

I think Edmonton is regressing weekly. I suspect Edmonton is heading east for the playoffs, only because BC and Ottawa are so terrible.

I agree... which I'm not necessarily happy about, just yet anyway... I was hoping that between Calgary, Sask, and Edmonton that they would beat up on each other and split their remaining games to give us some breathing room...

the rest of the schedule for the top 4 in the west is:

WIN: @MTL, HAM, @SSK, MTL, @CAL, CAL   Finish  1st at 14-4
CAL: HAM, @TOR, @MTL, SSK, WIN, @WIN, BC    Finish 2nd at 13-5
SSK: MTL, @TOR, WIN, @CAL, @BC, @EDM, EDM    Finish 3rd at 10-8
EDM: HAM, @OTT, @HAM, BC, SSK, @SSK    Finish 4th at 9-9

projected wins in bold...

blue girl

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2019, 07:18:41 PM »

I also believe that Edmonton will be going east. It will be interesting to see how much time (if any) Harris misses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2019, 09:11:17 PM »

I agree... which I'm not necessarily happy about, just yet anyway... I was hoping that between Calgary, Sask, and Edmonton that they would beat up on each other and split their remaining games to give us some breathing room...

I hope you are correct!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue girl

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »

WOW I just looked at this more carefully and I have to say that I totally agree with it.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2019, 11:00:11 PM »

Amazing game.  I said I would judge this team officially after labour day.  Yup #1.  Nuff said.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2019, 02:45:44 AM »

WPG might lose 1-2 more than you show.
CGY also will lose 1-2 more than you show.
SSK may lose to any of TOR, BC or the 2nd EDM game (depending on Trevor); I bet SSK wins 2 more, 3 is the best case for them.
EDM should win at least 1 HAM game (with Trevor).
BC will improve going into the season end as long as MR is still there, so they aren't free bingo spots.

So IMO you're close, but my reading puts SSK behind EDM, or maybe tied and the season series deciding it.  And I think WPG/CGY will lose a bit more games.  At least for WPG, 14 wins is a very hard result to achieve, as it even was for CGY in past years.

I think a good HAM and MTL (maybe even TOR!) make the predictions a bit tricky and you have to assume good W teams may lose some games to those guys (and even possibly BC).

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2019, 02:53:08 AM »

Our next game is in Montreal where we seem to play pretty well recently.....the Als are playing well and with Matthews on their roster it should be interesting....assuming he plays?

TecnoGenius

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2019, 03:21:19 AM »

I disagree techno, IMO Sask is a a good team. I also think that this season has seen some great play from unknown, back-ups and newbies to the league at the Qb position, and I include Fajardo in that group. IMO I believe he has been a great surprise and yes he has areas to improve on but he shows great promise. I honestly believe that if Collaros stayed healthy the Riders would not be as good as they are today.

Funny, because I totally agree with what you say, now I'm not sure what you disagreed with me on!

Yes, backups have come to life and been better than we could have expected.  Yes, Fajardo has had some great play, certainly better than anyone would have guessed based on last 2-3 years relief efforts.  Yes, Collaros wouldn't have done any better, but that is not saying much.  Collaros was a horrible choice as #1 QB.

OK, I disagree on one point: "great promise".  Out of all the backup-cum-starter QBs this year, I'd put Fajardo near the back of the pack (and I'm not including Kilgore).  I'd take Strev, Arbuckle, Franklin, Adams before Fajardo.  I peg Fajardo near MBT in terms of "likely to still be starting in 2-3 years": not very good odds but could surprise us.

I guess I differ from most in thinking that Fajardo isn't a "sure thing" as a starter in this league.  But he obviously makes a great backup.  When SSK takes a bunch of losses for the rest of the year, and falls to 4th, I can see a lot of the Fajardo lustre wearing off amongst greenie fans.  Then does SSK decide to roll with Fajardo as their only #1 QB in 2020?  To me that smacks of the mistake OTT made this year with Dom (rushing a #2 into service too soon).

Of course, I could be very wrong!  But that's how I see it.

[...]
[...]

Yup, I have that play as a highlight in my upcoming GB&U!  Great play.  My favorite part is: watch Hecht.  Hall & team have come up with possible solutions to the super quick slants and hitches SSK relies on!  Hecht's only job there is to jump through the lane when the pass is coming!  He does it a few times in the game.  I think this is a great development to combat SSK & HAM who rely heavily on those plays and short-gain wide-outs.

I totally agree... but only at home.  Out of every team I think SSK relies the most on the "home energy" and definitely cares more about home wins than away wins.  Because they are under so much pressure at home they put in twice as much effort there.  It's quite incredible.  When away, I see SSK as quite average.  They certainly left the energy in Regina when they showed up at the BB.

It's funny, because WPG seems to be more of an "away team" in the last 3 years (not as much this year).  I always feel that our guys get nervous at home with the pressure and work better away when there is no pressure.

Never go full Rider!
booch

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »

The Leveler has shown nice progression through each start.....a very good sign....you can see it is slowing down for him now, and he isn't as excited and over eager in the pocket with his passes....he's starting to stand in there, set up properly and make solid throws...and it's only gonna get better with reps...and familiarity with the things he sees...

The intangible tho with him is his fiery warrior leadership and it rubs off on his team..they see him lay it all out there, and it elevates them. His rushing just demorilizes and wears down a defense...and once he is more pocket polished and adept at passing...his running is going to be even more pummeling...especially when defences won't/can't be looking for it first

I recall on Riderfans how spying Judge on him would render him useless...I guess that didn't pan out, as seen when Big Chris just ran right through him like a highschool linebacker haha
Norm W

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2019, 01:54:42 PM »

The Leveler .... he's starting to stand in there, set up properly and make solid throws...and it's only gonna get better with reps...and familiarity with the things he sees...

I agree with most of what you said in the entire post, but don't you think he has an odd throwing motion? Its very abbreviated... He doesn't seem to get the ball anywhere near his ear, its often barely parallel with his throwing shoulder which results in very minimal follow through to the target. 

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue_or_die

« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2019, 02:04:21 PM »

OK, I disagree on one point: "great promise".  Out of all the backup-cum-starter QBs this year, I'd put Fajardo near the back of the pack (and I'm not including Kilgore).  I'd take Strev, Arbuckle, Franklin, Adams before Fajardo.  I peg Fajardo near MBT in terms of "likely to still be starting in 2-3 years": not very good odds but could surprise us.

I guess I differ from most in thinking that Fajardo isn't a "sure thing" as a starter in this league.  But he obviously makes a great backup.  When SSK takes a bunch of losses for the rest of the year, and falls to 4th, I can see a lot of the Fajardo lustre wearing off amongst greenie fans.  Then does SSK decide to roll with Fajardo as their only #1 QB in 2020?  To me that smacks of the mistake OTT made this year with Dom (rushing a #2 into service too soon).

I disagree, I think Fajardo has been spectacular. I've rewatched highlights several times from this past game and have seen quite a few Rider games, and dare I say he is their best player on offense. He has a great ability to make something out of nothing using his arm (while Streveler can do that as well but with his legs).

The part we all seem to be agreeing on is Fajardo is far and away better than Collaros is now, and Sask can attribute their spot in the standings to his emergence. Sask is not doing well despite missing their starting QB, they're doing well because they seem to have found a legit starting QB.

I've heard so many comments from Rider fans along the lines of, "...and yet we are missing our starting QB!", implying this was some great adversity overcome by putting in their "backup". What they had as a backup just happens to be far better than who they thought their starter was.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2019, 03:02:59 PM »

I agree with most of what you said in the entire post, but don't you think he has an odd throwing motion? Its very abbreviated... He doesn't seem to get the ball anywhere near his ear, its often barely parallel with his throwing shoulder which results in very minimal follow through to the target. 
Yeah he is a short arm passer...many like him before had lots of success..it lends for a very quick release, and is lethal for a scrambling QB as he can get the ball out on the run in a nanosecond..the throws we seen though that are way off is him getting to excited and rushing things...that will go away with experience
BlueInCgy

« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2019, 03:16:52 PM »

I originally had the Bombers pegged for 14-4, and I don't think they will be far off from that.  That being said, I fear one of the Montreal games could be a stinker for some reason, and the Sask game in Regina will be a challenge.

I think the Stamps are due for one more loss in the run out, to either Hamilton or Winnipeg.

I don't see Sask losing to the Als at home this week, but I certainly hope they do, because if they lose that one, a follow up loss to Toronto would be more likely (TO will put up a pile of yards on the Riders) and then they will be in full tailspin.

Edmonton's got a hard road ahead with the exception of Ottawa/BC, and and that point BC is playing spoiler, so you never know.

Will be an interesting last few weeks with Calgary/Winnipeg X 2 and Edm/Sask X2.
John T.

« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2019, 03:36:05 PM »

I think Fajardo has been spectacular. I've rewatched highlights several times from this past game and have seen quite a few Rider games, and dare I say he is their best player on offense. He has a great ability to make something out of nothing using his arm (while Streveler can do that as well but with his legs).

Fajardo was, on Saturday, by far and away the best Rider on the field, in my opinion. I don't like the Riders, I have never liked the Riders, and I never will like the Riders, but I have respect for the job Fajardo has done this year. If the Riders' backup QB had been weak, Saskatchewan would be battling BC for last place right now.
theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2019, 03:40:44 PM »

I used to like Gainey, thought he had a lot of talent. 

After this last game, chirping the Bomber bench when they are down a ton, just wrong.  So low class.  I guess he's tired of being embarrassed by the team, and his ankles are probably still recovering from the missed tackle on JA last week...  and he follows that embarrassment up with 1 tackle this week. 

Mr. Gainey, your 15 minutes are up...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2019, 03:47:32 PM »

I'm not sold of Fajardo yet. He hasn't faced much adversity so far and coordinators have film now. His best two games statistically were week 2 and 3 against Ottawa and Toronto. He's thrown 9 TDs to 7 INTs and under 200 yards 3 times in his last 6 games. I'll grant that he's better than anyone thought he'd be, but I wouldn't be prepared to say the Riders have found a franchise QB yet.
John T.

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2019, 03:51:11 PM »

Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2019, 03:57:29 PM »

I originally had the Bombers pegged for 14-4, and I don't think they will be far off from that.  That being said, I fear one of the Montreal games could be a stinker for some reason, and the Sask game in Regina will be a challenge.

I think the Stamps are due for one more loss in the run out, to either Hamilton or Winnipeg.

I don't see Sask losing to the Als at home this week, but I certainly hope they do, because if they lose that one, a follow up loss to Toronto would be more likely (TO will put up a pile of yards on the Riders) and then they will be in full tailspin.

Edmonton's got a hard road ahead with the exception of Ottawa/BC, and and that point BC is playing spoiler, so you never know.

Will be an interesting last few weeks with Calgary/Winnipeg X 2 and Edm/Sask X2.

I'm of the same opinion....the battle for first place could well be decided on the very last game of the season.   That being said we were in good shape last year at this time after beating the Esks soundly in their barn and then the injuries started to pile up.   This year we have a bye week and the timing is perfect for getting some starters back for the home stretch....however we still need some luck on our side when it comes to staying healthy.    We are very deep in certain positions and hopefully we get Rempel back as he is key for Medlock in a tight game.   It will be close and I see battle for first on the horizon....we need to win first in the West for the first time since....Huh  

When WAS the last year we won first in our conference?   Was it 2001 when we were 14-4 and lost the GC?  
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:59:58 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

blue_or_die

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2019, 04:22:34 PM »

I'm of the same opinion....the battle for first place could well be decided on the very last game of the season.   That being said we were in good shape last year at this time after beating the Esks soundly in their barn and then the injuries started to pile up.   This year we have a bye week and the timing is perfect for getting some starters back for the home stretch....however we still need some luck on our side when it comes to staying healthy.    We are very deep in certain positions and hopefully we get Rempel back as he is key for Medlock in a tight game.   It will be close and I see battle for first on the horizon....we need to win first in the West for the first time since....Huh  

When WAS the last year we won first in our conference?   Was it 2001 when we were 14-4 and lost the GC?  

We were in the East then, too, so if your question is when was the last time the Bombers won the west, then the answer is.......

...the 80s?? Anyone...? Huh

Pathetic that we would need Stats Junkie for this one, lol.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 06:10:18 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
John T.

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2019, 04:32:22 PM »

The bombers finished first in the East in 2011, the last time they went to the Grey Cup.

They beat Hamilton in the East Final, in what was supposed to be the last ever game at CanadInns Stadium, with a touchdown on the last play of the game, a perfect ending for the old barn.

Of course, we all know what happened next. IGF wasn't ready, so they had to play 2012 at the old stadium, and it started what was possibly the worst era in Bomber history, with several consecutive years of losing football.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2019, 06:07:38 PM »

The bombers finished first in the East in 2011, the last time they went to the Grey Cup.

They beat Hamilton in the East Final, in what was supposed to be the last ever game at CanadInns Stadium, with a touchdown on the last play of the game, a perfect ending for the old barn.

Of course, we all know what happened next. IGF wasn't ready, so they had to play 2012 at the old stadium, and it started what was possibly the worst era in Bomber history, with several consecutive years of losing football.
Ah yes....our  2011 GC appearance against BC with the Buckmeister as our QB.  I was thinking back to the last time we won the Western Conference and checking Wikipedia it was 1972 where we went 11-4-1 and lost the final to guess who....the Riders?

So that's approaching a half century!!  It's time baby!!

blue girl

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2019, 08:14:41 PM »

We were in the East then, too, so if your question is when was the last time the Bombers won the west, then the answer is.......

...the 80s?? Anyone...? Huh

Pathetic that we would need Stats Junkie for this one, lol.
I've been following this team for 44 years and not once can I remember them finishing first in the west.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2019, 08:22:17 PM »

I've been following this team for 44 years and not once can I remember them finishing first in the west.
1st in the West division ugh you got me there.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »

Yeah he is a short arm passer...many like him before had lots of success..it lends for a very quick release

Strev's throwing motion is extremely strange.  It might be why he seems to have trouble with dialling in the range on the deep pass?

My question: can you name some who you remember having a similar motion?  I can't think of any recent CFL QBs with that motion?  Maybe Crompton would be closest?

Oh ya baby!  This year's schedule looked really odd and bad earlier in the season, but you really couldn't ask for a more exciting last third to the season.  And I'm talking CFL-wide.  Of course I'd prefer an "easier" set of games for our team Grin but I'll take what we've been given.

but I have respect for the job Fajardo has done this year. If the Riders' backup QB had been weak, Saskatchewan would be battling BC for last place right now.

Oh I don't disagree.  I think the question really is, though, will Fajardo be the clear #1 in SSK next year, with only a nobody as #2?  That's the answer to "is Fajardo a legit starter".  And does the answer to that depend on SSK's record over the remainder of the season?

Screw talking about it here, I'm making a poll thread for that exact question...

I'm not sold of Fajardo yet. He hasn't faced much adversity so far and coordinators have film now. His best two games statistically were week 2 and 3 against Ottawa and Toronto. He's thrown 9 TDs to 7 INTs and under 200 yards 3 times in his last 6 games. I'll grant that he's better than anyone thought he'd be, but I wouldn't be prepared to say the Riders have found a franchise QB yet.

Thanks SB&G, I'm completely on the same page as you.

Never go full Rider!
Norm W

« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »

Strev's throwing motion is extremely strange.  It might be why he seems to have trouble with dialling in the range on the deep pass?

My question: can you name some who you remember having a similar motion?  I can't think of any recent CFL QBs with that motion?  Maybe Crompton would be closest?

As I'm the one that initially suggested he has an odd throwing motion I would also say its just odd, I don't think it detracts from his ability to play the position at a high level. QB's don't get NFL & CFL looks if there mechanics prevent them from being able to throw a football with the required degree of zip and accuracy.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue girl

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2019, 07:43:31 PM »

1st in the West division ugh you got me there.
I googled it last night and according to Wikipedia the last time the Bombers finished first in the west was '72. I would have been 8 and not really following the team then. Can anybody out there confirm this?
ichabod_crane

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »

A little bit before my time following the Bombers, but in 1972 they won the western division regular season title. Don Jonas was the QB with "mini-me" Mack Heron the running back and Jim Thorpe the primary receiver. They lost to the Riders though in the western final in one of the most bizarre ways imaginable! (see Wikipedia link below for more details)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_CFL_season

The Bombers were also in a three way tie for first place in the west for the 1977 season, but due to tie breakers wound up in 3rd place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1977_CFL_season
theaardvark

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2019, 08:43:01 PM »

I googled it last night and according to Wikipedia the last time the Bombers finished first in the west was '72. I would have been 8 and not really following the team then. Can anybody out there confirm this?

So, finishing first will end a longer streak of frustration than the GC drought...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 08:52:04 PM »

So, finishing first will end a longer streak of frustration than the GC drought...

When in the Western Division Yes, but the Bombers won the Eastern division several times before finally moving back to the West.
theaardvark

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2019, 08:58:48 PM »

When in the Western Division Yes, but the Bombers won the Eastern division several times before finally moving back to the West.

Ahhh... that makes sense...  but still...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: