Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 08:52:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Roughriders, THE BB/The Rematch 9/7/2019  (Read 3725 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: September 07, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »

FIRST HALF THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS....

I'll start by saying that some of those I was critical of last week in the loss stepped it up this week... the O line... Medlock's punting... both much improved and impacted the game for the Bombers...  For me, this is a must win game... not only to keep a hold of the league in the West but also to keep from losing the series to the Riders that could play into things come play off time...

well, you have to love what we saw in the first series by the Blue Bombers... a long, 100 yd drive that also chewed up 8:28 of the clock... supplying that much needed 'punch in the face' needed to the Riders...

from the start, Streveler with the 20 yd first down run out of the end zone to allow the drive to gain momentum... Augustine's STRONG running... Hughes paying Streveler respect by having to hold and protect the option which allowed Augustine to get another first down...

Darvin taking the penalty in the end zone to get us to the 1 yard line... then Streveler finishing it off... TOUCHDOWN BOMBERS!

then we respond with a Jefferson sack to force the Riders into a 2 and out when they finally do get the ball... you have to love it... The Bombers came out and set the tone for the game...

The over throw to Woli in the second series was unfortunate but I did like the effort that Woli put into the play, laying out and trying to make a circus catch... but we have to do better than giving the Riders a 2 and out... on the first play of that series I would have liked to see us take the run to the outside... I think we don't do enough of that... seems like we always try up the middle with our backs... lets stretch the defense out, make them run the play down instead of always taking it right to them...

then the wheels fall off the cart... allowing big catches... Rios got fooled on one play... stupid penalties... with as few rushers as we were sending there shouldn't have been any receivers that open... way to early to move to the prevent defense...  but we did dodge a bullet though, making the Riders settle for a field goal...

the next series? all I can say is "Streveler The Leveler"... such incredible running... then to cap it off with a TD toss to Petermann, and a pretty throw as well, a lot of touch on that ball... you have to love it... this is what Streveler brings to the game that few can duplicate... I will say though, the second over throw to Woli... not a good look...

then, special teams pulling their weight with Grant making a beautiful run for the TD...  you can't stop him, you can only hope to contain him, lol...

while sitting there watching the game I'm thinking to myself... O'Shea's 'next man up' philosophy, it's working for us at the moment... no Nichols, Lucky, Harris, Demski, Rempel, Nelson, Jeffcoat, Alexander, etc... we get big time play out of players like Streveler, Augustine, Bailey, Petermann, Grant

Jefferson... worth. every. penny. we. pay. him.  PERIOD!  end of the half and he gets a big sack and forced fumble that the Bombers recover just outside of the red zone... setting up a half ending touchdown that included a fake short yardage dive that was a Petermann completion, followed by a strong Augustine run yet again taking it to the goal line, followed by a Streveler TD... Bombers take a 28-3 lead into the locker room with what can only be called a dominant performance...

I did get a little worried when I saw Streveler almost doubled over in what looked like a possible injury... dodged one there...

so, we go into the locker room having won a bunch of the key parts of the game...

TOP: Bombers: 21:01  -  Riders: 8:59
Total Yards: Bombers: 186 yds  -  Riders: 82 yards
Turn Overs: Bombers: 0  -  Riders: 1
Points off Turn Overs:  Bombers: 7  -  Riders: 0
Sacks: Bombers: 3  -  Riders: 1
Penalties: Bombers: 3/37 yards  -  Riders: 5/64 yards

Streveler was 11/15 for 95 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTS... added another 59 yards running for a total of 154 total yards... Augstine only had 32 yards thus far on 9 carries but they were big runs as far as impact... at the time, it seemed liked Johnny had more yards than that based upon the impact of the runs... Petermann 2 big catches, 1 for a TD... but I love the way he plays... Bailey looked good in his debut, looked ready to play ball for sure...

Bombers go into the locker room having won all 3 phases of the game; offense, defense, and special teams...  let's see if our Bombers bring this one home in the second half...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 08:56:34 PM »

what a start in the 2nd half... what a throw by Streveler to Augustine for the touchdown... these 2 are making the most of their opportunity and seem willing to carry this team through an adverse situation...

And what about Bailey?  nothing huge yards wise but playing hard and making plays... looks like he wants to be and stay a Bomber... things get tough, or do they, when players start coming back?

66 Chevelle

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 09:08:52 PM »

I'm going to end it right here and come back later with some overall game stats...

I'm going to give a game ball to an unlikely suspect here... the O line... whatever they worked on this week in practice it sure paid off... It helped to show what Streveler can do passing when he has time to throw the ball... both of those TD passes he had thrown to this point showed both accuracy and touch...  he goes 14/18, 77.8%, for 175 yards and    2 touchdowns and 0 INTS...  that would be a great stat line for him for a complete game... this is just about mid way through the 3rd quarter...

Augustine may have been playing with a chip on his shoulder... I don't care... the young man as earned the right to more touches, even when Harris is back...

And Bailey... it should be tough to take him out of the starting line up...

now, if we lose this thing I'll be more than a little shocked and embarassed....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 09:11:34 PM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 10:16:26 PM »

Yes. Augustine has shown he can be very productive and we should see him more in the last part of the season. That will keep Harris fresh and defenses struggling to control our RB's and QB's.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »

by the numbers:

TOP: Bombers: 34:26  -  Riders: 25:24
Total Yards: Bombers: 341 yds  -  Riders: 303 yards
Rushing Yards: Bombers: 155 yds -  Riders: 53 yards
Passing Yards: Bombers: 186 yds  -  Riders: 250 yards
Turn Overs: Bombers: 0 -  Riders: 3
Points off Turn Overs:  Bombers: 7  -  Riders: 0
Sacks: Bombers: 5 -  Riders: 3
Penalties: Bombers: 6/77 yards  -  Riders: 6/72 yards

Streveler finished the game 15/21, 71.4%, for 186 yds, 2 TDS, 0 INTs, with a long of 58 yards... added another 70 yds and 2 TDs on 11 carries for a total of 256 yards...
Augustine had 75 yds on 16 carries and added another 63 yds and a touchdown through the air... that gave him a total of 138 total yds...

Rose picks up another INT for himself and continues to lead the league with 8 INTs...

Darvin had 47 yards for the day on 4 of 6 pass receptions...

Bailey add 43 yards as well on 1 rushing attempt and 5 pass receptions...

Jefferson continues to be a monster with 3 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble...

Nevis, Wilson, and Hecht each chipped in with a sack apiece...

Medlock did not attempt a single field goal this game... and his punting was much better than last week...

I like how the team answered in the second half... we may have not been going 100% in the second half with play calling but he didn't go to the prevent offense like we have in the past...

defense let a few plays happen but still only allowed the Riders to find the end zone 1 time for the entire game...  and not to mention, how few actual scoring opportunities, or trips to the red zone the Riders had for the game...

I think overall you have to like how we played today and moving forward we should only get better... makes you hate that we have a bye coming up next week as you'd like to see them back at it next week to build on the momentum...

probably going to be pretty quite around here for the next couple of weeks, lol...

3rdand1.5

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2019, 10:18:20 PM »

I think you have to like Strev
How can you not...wow!
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2019, 10:25:52 PM »

Sask is good, we love to hate them....but in all honesty they are a good team
the paw

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2019, 11:19:46 PM »

I really like the way Streveler is developing.  Even though the accuracy is still poor, he is making good decisions by not trying to force throws in there. He?s throwing it away when he has to.  He needs to figure out the grounding rule, but he by using his running ability more judiciously, I think it is more effective.  Very solid game.

Augustine ran consistently, nice workmanlike performance.  His TD was nice, but Lapo gets most of the credit.  Subbing in Janarion Grant and faking the sweep to him froze everyone, and opened the seam up for Johnny A.

Like Rasheed Bailey, he showed some stuff.  I like Lawler more for downfield, but Bailey looked dangerous on the short stuff Lucky usually runs.

This is a deep team, but also a team that is well prepared and well coached.

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 12:03:15 AM »

I really like the way Streveler is developing.  Even though the accuracy is still poor, he is making good decisions by not trying to force throws in there. He?s throwing it away when he has to.  He needs to figure out the grounding rule, but he by using his running ability more judiciously, I think it is more effective.  Very solid game.

Augustine ran consistently, nice workmanlike performance.  His TD was nice, but Lapo gets most of the credit.  Subbing in Janarion Grant and faking the sweep to him froze everyone, and opened the seam up for Johnny A.

Like Rasheed Bailey, he showed some stuff.  I like Lawler more for downfield, but Bailey looked dangerous on the short stuff Lucky usually runs.

This is a deep team, but also a team that is well prepared and well coached.

I'll give him credit as well, but... it is his job and it's thing like that and the fake short yardage play in the red zone that was actually a pass to Petermann, and the play were everyone looked confused and then the hurry up snap and dive for a first down... 

don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for a lot of trick play, but be cognizant of the football situation and call accordingly...

blue girl

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 12:07:54 AM »

Great first half. Total dominance from the Bombers starting with the first drive when the offence ate up the clock. This was a game when all three phases contributed. Just wait until we get Nichols, Harris, Jeffcoat, Alexander and possibly Neufeld back. The only thing is that I agree that Streveler has to learn the intentional grounding rule. That's two games in a row that he's taken this penalty. Fortunately this week it didn't hurt them.
DM83

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 12:44:47 AM »

Finally we have players and a team that actually is "Getting better" each week. Aaaaaghhhh! Feels good.
TrueBlue75

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 01:04:07 AM »

What a great all-around game! So nice to see the team beat up the mouthy riders! One of my favourite moments was from Proulx...?There are two penalties on the play...? and then ends with ?This is a wash? and walks away. Mic drop, lol!
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 01:08:20 AM »

What a great all-around game! So nice to see the team beat up the mouthy riders! One of my favourite moments was from Proulx...?There are two penalties on the play...? and then ends with ?This is a wash? and walks away. Mic drop, lol!

That was...amazing. Laughed out loud.

My wife is amazing!
tlf

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 01:19:22 AM »

I think you have to like Strev
How can you not...wow!

His accuracy and decision making are lacking. He?s ok and got the job done thankfully but he?s not a full time starter.
dd

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 01:28:46 AM »

Not yet, but I?d gladly take him over the names suggested a couple of weeks ago, namely franklin, davis, Glenn , egad!!

Exponentially better this week and exciting to watch. He?s an absolute truck when he runs!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: