Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 08:11:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Roughriders, THE LDC 9/1/2019  (Read 1891 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: September 04, 2019, 08:11:07 PM »

Sorry about being tardy with this and I wouldn't normally play catch up, but, with the Banjo Bowl just a few days away I thought some may find it interesting...  I was in Oklahoma over the weekend to watch the Sooners take on the Houston Cougars before a sell out crowd of 84,534 loud fans... quite the experience... so... I had to watch the game on my tablet in a hotel room Sunday afternoon, lol... then came home to an a/c unit not working... and decided to watch the game again, this time on something a little easier to view on...

I wanted to be very angry after the lose... especially the way that it happened... S.U.C.K.E.D!  however, when you consider that we were playing the Riders at their place, in a game that we are 1-13 since 2005, missing Nichols and Harris, Riders riding a 5 game winning streak, in a game we where not necessarily the favorites going in, and we only lost by 2 pts?  it could have been a lot worse and the game was a nail biter all the way to the last seconds...

so, what happened? what went wrong?  of course the low hanging fruit here is that the defense gave up the walk off field goal on the final, 10 play, 77 yard (almost twice the number of yards they had for the entire 2nd half up till that point), 3 minute 44 second long drive of the game... Bombers 17, Riders 19... game over...

so I guess it was foolish to have that false sense of security when just before that the Bombers put together their own 10 play, 63 yard, touchdown drive and left the Riders with only 3:44 on the clock...

after all, up until that point, the Bomber D had held the Riders to 11 plays, 39 yards, and 0 points for the entire 2nd half...  "what could go wrong?", is what I was thinking... afterall, in the fourth quarter alone we held the ball for 9:59 vs. the Riders' 1 minute and 17 seconds which was a 2 and out with a punt... for the second half we had held the ball for 19 minutes and 1 second compared to their 7 minutes and 15 seconds...

BY THE NUMBERS: so, lets recap... the stats weren't terrible... all in all it shows pretty much what we saw, a pretty even game...

Total Yards: Bombers: 347  -  Riders: 370
TOP:  Bombers: 33:16  -  Riders:  26:44
Rushing:  Bombers: 186 yds  -  Riders: 70 yds
Passing:  Bombers: 161 yds  -  Riders: 300 yds
Punts:  Bombers: 6  -  Riders: 6
Turnovers:  Bombers: 2  -  Riders: 4
Penalties:  Bombers: 10/104 yds  -  Riders:  9/80 yds
Sacks:  Bombers: 5  -  Riders: 3
Pass Knock Downs:  Bombers: 3  - Riders: 0

We actually played well enough to win that game and steal one of the road...  but a loss shouldn't be a huge surprise either since 2005 we are 1-13 in SSK for the LDC... since 2017 in games that we score 17 or fewer pts. we are 0-7... if you go all the way back to 2012, we are 4-35 in games we scored 19 or fewer pts... BUT, we did mange to have more total yards than in 6 of our previous 10 games... held SSK to fewer yds than 5 of their 9 previous games... held SSK to fewer pts. than 6 of their 9 previous games...

the replacements played a good game each... Streveler was 16/24 for 161 yds and 1 TD, and, added 65 more yds and another TD on 11 carries for a total of 226 total yds... Augustine added 98 yards of 12 carries and another 17 yds on 3 receptions for a total of 115 yds...  both are respectable totals and honestly, I'm not sure that Nichols or Harris would have done much better, if at all...  after all the Riders do have one of the best defenses in the league...

Some might say that Streveler's 2 INTs were a problem... but more unfortunate than costly... neither INT results in Rider points, unless you want to count the 1 pt we conceded on their punt in the next series... the first INT was U-G-L-Y though, and I'm not really sure Streveler even threw the ball... he threw it to a receiver that he couldn't even see and right to a Rider defender... unexcuseable... the second one, not pretty either... threw it behind Demski, however... not that the INT was Demski's fault, it wasn't, but I would have liked to seen him make a play on the ball... something... maybe could have either broke up the INT or drawn a PI penalty...  that INT did possibly cost up points though as it was in the red zone and well within Medlock's range...

speaking of "Money" Medlock... he was anything but money on his punting Sunday afternoon which didn't help in the field position battle... he had punts of 28 (net 18 after the penalty for kicking out of bounds), 46, 48, 35, 37, and 33 yards on the day... the two 40+ yard punts were decent and put the Riders back in their end of the field... the rest left a lot of yards on the table...

Streveler's play was hampered by the lack of protection by the O line... Streveler took 3 sacks on the day and avoided several more by his athletic ability... while impossible to prove, I would be willing to bet cash money that had Nichols been playing that the sack total would have been much worse... the O line is going to have to get better in order for Streveler's passing numbers to improve...  one of those sacks, an unimpeded rusher from the Streveler's blindside resulted in the Bombers taking a safety that gave the Riders 2 pts, the margin of victory...

granted, the Riders have a very good defense so we should expect for Streveler to be sacked a few times and rushed often... which makes me wonder why Lapo didn't have more, some, any, plays were Streveler got to roll out, move the pocket, or RPO options to help with the rush?

and we should have seen more play calling for Lucky... jet sweeps, or even the home run down the rail using his speed... Demski once again was pretty much invisble, 11 yards on the day from 1 run and 1 reception... Adams was 1 for 3 on the day, it would have been nice if Streveler would have had more time to get Darvin involved... Lapo really needs to think about some of the choices he's making in regards to the play calling...

the penalties.... geez... we had 10 this week... that's 3 more than our season average... which resulted in 104 yards, which was 40 more yards than our season average as well... that wasn't as frustrating though as the complete lack of penalties being called on the Riders for all of the holding their O line was doing... could. not. believe. it.

then, the poor tackling... way too many attempted arm tackles and misses in general... the defense actually looked like they played better in the first half, yet the numbers tell a different story... we seemed to get more pressure and sacks on Fajardo in the first half... the D seemed a lot more disruptive too, but... they scored more in the 1st half and a lot more yards... we gave up 215 yds and 16 pts in the first half and only 155 yds and 3 pts in the second half...

as much as we say that when we win that it's a team win... well, this one was most definitely a team loss... no single event cost us the game, it was a cumulative situation in a tough game on the road... I think it would have been easier if we hadn't actually played well enough to beat our opponent though, as werid as that may sound... I think we'll probably see a similar game this week at home, with a different winner though... predicting a 24-14 win this week at home in the Banjo Bowl...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 08:22:13 PM »

Great analysis- thanks for all your work, Chev.

The first paragraphs where you talk about how we shouldn't be upset even though blah blah blah made it way more painful with evidence that the Bombers could/should have walked away with 2 pt than it even felt at the time. So thanks for making us relive that, lol.

The numbers show very clearly that the Bombers are jinxed in this game and it doesn't matter the circumstance, we are doomed for a loss at the LDC.

That said, I think the Bombers win the season series against the Riders.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
booch

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:13 PM »

Good analysis....this was a game that due to normally uncharacteristic errors...and penalties we gave away truth be told.

This first interception was agreed...fugly...the second....rookie mistake and being a little too eager...BUT...The ball was intended to go to Lucky...who was wide open and Demski didn't engage his block long enough..he made brief minimal contact...then let his guy go...big time error and Purifoy was unimpeded to jump up and take ball away..he finishes his block properly..we have a positive yardage play and at worst walk away with a field goal there.

Agree on the use..or lack thereof with Lucky...we never spread the defense out at all  basically...we run the sweep fake more than any team in the league...but rarely give the speedsters the ball...defenses aren't biting cause they don't need to...certainly you set up future plays with similar formations...but when you never deviate...you see the results.

Also getting at the very least Speller back will help a tonne in the passing game...Neufeld even more...cause as it is now Bryant is at times overcompensating for Desjarlais and almost weakens our line in 2 places as he isn't able to focus purely on his role.

Lapo I hope is slowly working a game plan into place, and utilize the unique skill set we have at QB and some of our skilled guys
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 08:29:52 PM »

I think Lucky is nursing a chronic injury of some sort...just my guess though - seems to be coming out of plays limping...Demski is not a great blocker...

O-line is the biggest issue with this team IMO and from what I can tell the offensive play calling seems a bit off but the other team is getting paid too.
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 08:42:56 PM »

I'm not surprised that they lost this game. In all my years of watching this game bad things seem to happen to the Bombers in it. I even thought after the Bombers scored the TD to go ahead that if they could pull off this win it would be gravy. It's true that Medlock had a bad day punting but I expect him to bounce back next week. The OL has had bad pass protection all year. They miss Neufeld bigtime. Also does anybody know if Demski was injured again. It's hard to tell on TV but at one point it looked like Peterman and Wolitarsky were out there and Demski was on the sidelines. 
1chad

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 09:13:13 PM »

I'm not surprised that they lost this game. In all my years of watching this game bad things seem to happen to the Bombers in it. I even thought after the Bombers scored the TD to go ahead that if they could pull off this win it would be gravy. It's true that Medlock had a bad day punting but I expect him to bounce back next week. The OL has had bad pass protection all year. They miss Neufeld bigtime. Also does anybody know if Demski was injured again. It's hard to tell on TV but at one point it looked like Peterman and Wolitarsky were out there and Demski was on the sidelines. 

I heard a commentator say a day or two later that Demski did not finish the game.  Didn't notice that myself
trapper

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 09:28:39 PM »

Also does anybody know if Demski was injured again. It's hard to tell on TV but at one point it looked like Peterman and Wolitarsky were out there and Demski was on the sidelines. 

He wasn't at practice today.
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 10:24:37 PM »

Demski has played all 11 games this year. He also played 17 of 18 last year. So even though Nic gets nicked up though out the course of a game. He throws on a little tape, takes an advil and shows up ready to play at game time.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 10:37:38 PM by Pigskin » Logged
Nic16

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 10:50:18 PM »

He wasn't at practice today.

He was at practice...just DNP
Nic16

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 10:52:08 PM »

And btw... great post Chevy. Always interesting to read the take from a die hard football fan from down south.

Cheers!
Ridermania

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 11:20:25 PM »

Demski hurt his wrist/forearm area on one play and never saw him after that.

Hope he's back for the Banjo Bowl.
DM83

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 02:58:04 AM »

That explains. Peterman in the game at the end I guess.
Chevy your review was way too long. I couldn't finish reading the play by play.
What was your point? ( one sentence please)
Tiger

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 03:50:28 AM »

Demski will play BB

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
swansong

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 04:33:18 AM »

8-3

It was pretty easy to get through. I mean it wasn't rife with awkward punctuation or anything.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 04:38:54 AM by swansong » Logged
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 06:14:17 AM »

I do wonder why we always lose LDC games... maybe we the CFL schedule needs to change a bit.
DM83

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2019, 06:15:46 AM »

True
 Oh my God!
Touch
TecnoGenius

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2019, 10:24:53 AM »

Good post, 66.

Totally on point re: getting upset at the loss.  Before I did my rewatch for details, I wasn't at all miffed about losing -- and I even picked WPG in the pickems and fantasy!  After the rewatch, I'm still not miffed at our guys or coaches: I'm just miffed at the refs and the HoldinRiders.

See the @HAM and @CGY games?  The refs call holding early and, low and behold, you don't see too much holding the rest of the game.  You listenin' Foxcroft?  Hey Foxy?  Hey??

Demski has played all 11 games this year. He also played 17 of 18 last year. So even though Nic gets nicked up though out the course of a game. He throws on a little tape, takes an advil and shows up ready to play at game time.

Hurt or not, I'm going to hand it to Demski, he's solved the fumble-itis issues for good it seems!!  That was his biggest knock.  We have a new fumble-itis guy now... not mentioning any names, because we all forgive him!  (Just keep it to a minimum, hey guy?)

Hah!  Deep thoughts by Jack Handy not your thing eh?  Don't like more expansive posts?  Don't read'em!  But certainly, don't complain about them...

There's always the Ridersforum if you like all your posts to be 1 sentence -- sometimes not even!  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »

TBH, I don't really care if Demski plays the BB or not. Petermann, imo, might be a better fit for Streveler right now anyway. Much better possession receiver on medium routes.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
1chad

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2019, 11:44:29 AM »

TBH, I don't really care if Demski plays the BB or not. Petermann, imo, might be a better fit for Streveler right now anyway. Much better possession receiver on medium routes.

Streveler would be more familiar with Petermann from 2nd team reps.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2019, 02:17:37 PM »

I for one enjoy posts from Techno and Chevy that have detail and substance.   These guys study, analyze and produce meaningful commentary.   If you don't like reading more than one line per se....then don't read them.  There's no need to be critical....what was YOUR point?

BTW Chevy....great post once again!   I got your point!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 02:19:44 PM by Lincoln Locomotive » Logged

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 03:03:23 PM »

I, too, enjoy the insi
I for one enjoy posts from Techno and Chevy that have detail and substance.   These guys study, analyze and produce meaningful commentary.   If you don't like reading more than one line per se....then don't read them.  There's no need to be critical....what was YOUR point?

BTW Chevy....great post once again!   I got your point!

I, too, enjoy the passion of Tecno and 66. I don't always agree with some of the conclusions drawn but I have to admire their dedication. In time, Tecno, will learn the X's and O's a little more and his post will be even more compelling. Just gotta stay away from the conspiracy theories Tecno...lol. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:05:44 PM by GCn18 » Logged

rubanski

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 03:45:50 PM »

Just gotta stay away from the conspiracy theories Tecno...lol. Tongue

You do realize telling a conspiracy theorist that their conspiracy theories are a bit nuts is exactly like... well it's exactly the kind of thing people would say if they were covering one up...

Shocked Shocked
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 03:54:48 PM »

You do realize telling a conspiracy theorist that their conspiracy theories are a bit nuts is exactly like... well it's exactly the kind of thing people would say if they were covering one up...

Shocked Shocked

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
66 Chevelle

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 10:10:59 PM »

hey, I know that what I do 'isn't for everyone', lol... I guess all I can say is that you're lucky I went with the short version as I had another page and a half of notes, lol...

everyone else, thank you and appreciate the support!

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 06:46:08 AM »

hey, I know that what I do 'isn't for everyone', lol... I guess all I can say is that you're lucky I went with the short version as I had another page and a half of notes, lol...

everyone else, thank you and appreciate the support!

Same from me.  Much appreciated guys.  And 66 is right: not for everyone.

66: lol, ya they don't know how much we edit and trim the fat so that our posts aren't even longer!  haha  Grin  I know I make a big effort to keep the size down.  Don't always succeed though.  Lips sealed

GC: I'll try to tighten my tinfoil so most of the conspiracy theories stay in my brain and don't leak out into the forum...

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »

Aaaaghhhh!  That's better.
Go Blue!
GCn19

« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »

Same from me.  Much appreciated guys.  And 66 is right: not for everyone.

66: lol, ya they don't know how much we edit and trim the fat so that our posts aren't even longer!  haha  Grin  I know I make a big effort to keep the size down.  Don't always succeed though.  Lips sealed

GC: I'll try to tighten my tinfoil so most of the conspiracy theories stay in my brain and don't leak out into the forum...

lol....I actually quite enjoy them.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: