Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2019, 08:32:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Matthews released by the Bombers - signed by Als  (Read 7297 times)
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #240 on: September 12, 2019, 02:00:57 PM »

No, a WPG MTL Grey Cup has 2001 redux written all over it.

Disagree. That 2001 team was far and away the best in the league that season and it was their championship to lose. Their lack of focus and possible arrogance going into the big game resulted in that loss. I think a handful of key players got fat heads and paid the price, underestimating their opponent. I'm still baffled how Ritchie let that slide and 2001 remains the most disappointing season to me as a fan of this organization.

This 2019 team is not like that, though. If this team can make it to the big dance, no way in hell do O'Shea, Harris, Jefferson, etc. let anyone take their opposition lightly.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #241 on: September 12, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »

Disagree. That 2001 team was far and away the best in the league that season and it was their championship to lose. Their lack of focus and possible arrogance going into the big game resulted in that loss. I think a handful of key players got fat heads and paid the price, underestimating their opponent. I'm still baffled how Ritchie let that slide and 2001 remains the most disappointing season to me as a fan of this organization.

This 2019 team is not like that, though. If this team can make it to the big dance, no way in hell do O'Shea, Harris, Jefferson, etc. let anyone take their opposition lightly.

Unfortunately, our games against Hamilton and Toronto prove this is false.

This team is just as susceptible to reading their own press clippings as any other.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2019, 04:18:06 PM »

Unfortunately, our games against Hamilton and Toronto prove this is false.

This team is just as susceptible to reading their own press clippings as any other.

How is it false? That loss to the Ti-Cats was disappointing but the Ti-Cats are not pushovers. That comeback loss to the Argonauts was hopefully the wake-up call this team needed and it came at an opportune time in the season. Since then, they've only lost one game, one they lose pretty much every season (and even then, it was on the final drive).

The 2001 team basically steamrolled its way to a championship and choked in the Grey Cup.

I also won't speculate one way or another on this team being susceptible to press clippings.

And to my original point: I wouldn't see a WPG/MTL Grey Cup as a 2001 redux if it were to happen.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2019, 04:24:19 PM »

How is it false? That loss to the Ti-Cats was disappointing but the Ti-Cats are not pushovers. That comeback loss to the Argonauts was hopefully the wake-up call this team needed and it came at an opportune time in the season. Since then, they've only lost one game, one they lose pretty much every season (and even then, it was on the final drive).

The 2001 team basically steamrolled its way to a championship and choked in the Grey Cup.

I also won't speculate one way or another on this team being susceptible to press clippings.

And to my original point: I wouldn't see a WPG/MTL Grey Cup as a 2001 redux if it were to happen.

IMO, it's false because we have a concrete example of the Bombers taking an opponent too lightly and losing a game they should win. We can  hope that they learned their lesson, but I don't think we've seen an example of that yet.

As to your original point, I wouldn't relate a WPG/MTL Grey to 2001 either.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2019, 04:29:25 PM »

IMO, it's false because we have a concrete example of the Bombers taking an opponent too lightly and losing a game they should win. We can  hope that they learned their lesson, but I don't think we've seen an example of that yet.

As to your original point, I wouldn't relate a WPG/MTL Grey to 2001 either.

I guess what I'm saying is it's better to underestimate an opponent and lose in August, learn a lesson, and be better for it, rather than underestimate an opponent in late November and have it be too late.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
blue_or_die

« Reply #245 on: September 12, 2019, 04:31:21 PM »

A potentially meaningless last game + W21 bye week + first place berth giving a bye will force us to ensure we don't "read our own press clippings" or feel we "steamrolled" our way to the top. Focus will definitely need to be there and I also hope that the Hamilton and Toronto flubs were the last we saw of that.
1chad

« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2019, 05:36:52 PM »

I guess what I'm saying is it's better to underestimate an opponent and lose in August, learn a lesson, and be better for it, rather than underestimate an opponent in late November and have it be too late.

Exactly
DM83

« Reply #247 on: September 14, 2019, 01:01:53 AM »

There is the proverbial silver lining. 
Even if we blow it, we have an extremely good nucleus

I guess it seems we need a star DB to come in and dominate( Bolden) amd. Receiver, but the guys we have are adequate for a ball control game manager type team ..Sean Salisbury, Tom Clements Tom Burgess and who am I forgetting, all get it done.
ichabod_crane

« Reply #248 on: September 14, 2019, 01:02:05 AM »

It was Winnipeg vs Calgary in that 2001 Grey Cup. The game was in Montreal. Choke city is right! Sad
theaardvark

« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2019, 03:33:10 AM »

1 catch on 2 targets for 42 yards, his third best production day this year...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #250 on: September 15, 2019, 09:49:58 AM »

1 catch on 2 targets for 42 yards, his third best production day this year...

Ya, pretty invisible.  Seemed to be jogging again.

I'm more disappointed my Weineke fantasy pick didn't get even a single look.  Besides his 3 main guys, Adams doesn't spread the ball around much.  We can prey on that in our match up.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #251 on: September 15, 2019, 02:17:47 PM »

I read somewhere on this post that VA doesn't pass the ball around much....he threw to 5 different receivers for 344 yards.....Matthews had the longest reception at 42 yards.   Was this is first game for the Als?   

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
blue girl

« Reply #252 on: September 15, 2019, 05:32:02 PM »

I read somewhere on this post that VA doesn't pass the ball around much....he threw to 5 different receivers for 344 yards.....Matthews had the longest reception at 42 yards.   Was this is first game for the Als?   
Yes it was. He got on the roster because Jeremiah Johnson was injured.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #253 on: September 15, 2019, 10:35:55 PM »

Yes it was. He got on the roster because Jeremiah Johnson was injured.
I wonder if he'll be playing against us in Montreal?   I'm sure his fingers are crossed!  Let's hope if he gets on the field against us that those long legs of his get 🤞!!   

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
TecnoGenius

« Reply #254 on: September 16, 2019, 06:12:30 AM »

I didn't say VA doesn't pass much, I said he doesn't spread it around as much (as say WPG).

rec yards receiver
8 130 Lewis
6 73 Posey
4 73 Bray

Matthews was just the 1 reception on 2 targets.  Stanback had a couple, but he doesn't count as he's the RB, and on the field for every down, so he gets the dump pass.

Not one single target for the rest of the O weapons:
Wieneke
Lussier
Murray-Lawrence
(not to mention their FBs)

That would be like a game where we only target Adams once and throw nothing at all to Petermann, Lawler and Woli.  We tend to spread the ball around more, which is why picking WPG WRs for fantasy is usually a bad idea.  We make every player a threat (even Miller!) so that the D's are forced to defend everyone carefully.

If I was playing MTL, I would forget the above players completely as they probably aren't even in the read sequence.  Or, at the very least, cheat up closer to the real targets while keeping just an eye on the nobodies.  Just focus on the "big 3", and also Matthews for the few times he's on-field.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17]
  Print  

Jump to: