Blue Bombers Forum
June 01, 2020, 06:29:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: New QB's  (Read 1616 times)
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 02:33:08 AM »

When was the last time the BOMBERS found their own QB, not from another CFL team or from their practice roster etc that has came in and played like they could pass a ball? Make completions etc game in and game out? **** it's been forever, seems all these project players who get a chance just can't throw the ball consistently and look horrible doing it.

Here's the starting QBs in the league:

Reilly
Mitchell
Harris
Fajardo
Nichols
Bethel-Thompson
Masoli
Davis
Adams

Of that group, only Mitchell has been solely developed by the team he currently plays for. The cycle of QBs getting their shot in another city is also not new. It's also really hard to develop a next one when your current one is fairly decent. While it would be cool if we developed our own QB from scratch, it's not the be all and end all.

As for the current group of next ones:

Adams
Arbuckle
Fajardo

I reserve comment on Streveler until after his stint in charge is over.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
dd

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 02:51:07 AM »

I think Vernon Adams has the most upside and will develop that potential under khari s tutelage.

Not sure when Arbuckle s contract is up but he?s someone I?d go after for our #2, he?s got serious upside but BLM is going to be the starter there for a while so he ll be looking for a starting role somewhere
TecnoGenius

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2019, 07:12:27 AM »

The question was "most upside"...

My choice ordering would be:
1. Strev
2. Adams
3. MBT

Strev is a bit of a homer pick, but if he's still as good as 2018's starts or better, I think he has the most upside.  Next few games could put a downer on that theory, thought.  We shall see!

Adams looks legit, and finally after everyone said he was legit since he came here yet always looked like crap, he is proving it.  If you can take that stinky MTL team and make it win?  That's something!

MBT is the wildcard.  What a strange dude.  Remember, he has very few starts, and on the worst team in the league.  It's hard to get a read on this guy, but he has some of the "wow" and "it" factor Strev shows.  And enough crazy.  And an arm.

Fajardo is sub-par, as SSK will find out in the 2nd half of the season.  Everyone magically forgets his garbage play in previous years.  SSK might luck into wins vs WPG because of our Harris/Nichols woes, but after that, their hard schedule will be mostly losses.

Arbuckle is simply a beneficiary of the CGY system.  You could have put MBT, or Adams, or even Fajardo in CGY, starting this year after 1 year of dev in CGY last year, and they'd look just as good: or better.  Likewise, if you put Arbuckle in BC or TOR, he'd look much worse than MR and MBT.  Arbuckle is adequate, nothing more.

And... what... no love for Dom Davis?  He whose name shall not be spoken?

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2019, 07:35:07 AM »

Oh ya, even if I'm hard on most of the current crop of n00b QBs, I must say they are the best looking bunch of "backups" the CFL has seen in a looong time.  Almost all of these guys are better than the fairly useless and short-lived QB carousel guys WPG had 5-7 years ago, and MTL had 3-5 years ago (and other teams).

It bodes well for the CFL that there are legit decent QBs to choose from as starters and backups in the next off-season.  And it bodes poorly for guys like Collaros who will almost certainly be supplanted for good by one of them.  The QB wheel turns, and in 3-6 years the older guys like BLM, MR and Nichols will be retiring.

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2019, 12:49:00 PM »

Adams - Biggest surprise of the season for me. Tons of upside left.
Arbuckle - Looks really good in Calgary. I doubt we've seen his best yer.
Streveler - Good enough to win with Winnipeg, not sure he'd look as good elsewhere.
Fajardo - Making the most of his opportunity. We'll see how well he does against good defences.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2019, 01:06:18 PM »

Here's the starting QBs in the league:

Reilly
Mitchell
Harris
Fajardo
Nichols
Bethel-Thompson
Masoli
Davis
Adams

Of that group, only Mitchell has been solely developed by the team he currently plays for. The cycle of QBs getting their shot in another city is also not new. It's also really hard to develop a next one when your current one is fairly decent. While it would be cool if we developed our own QB from scratch, it's not the be all and end all.

As for the current group of next ones:

Adams
Arbuckle
Fajardo

I reserve comment on Streveler until after his stint in charge is over.

I guess it depends on your definition of "developed".

Reilly was initially in BC's system for a good while, but came fully into his own in Edmonton. You could argue BC developed him, making him valuable enough to be so sought after when heading to FA. He's now back with that original team.
MBT started here on the PR, but got no playing time. His performance and development is a result of the Toronto system (for better or for worse lol)
Masoli came into the league in Edmonton but was injured for his entire first season. Hamilton developed him.
Adams came into the league with Montreal where he definitely had his most development time before hitting the QB carousel and returning and becoming the guy he is today.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Jesse

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2019, 02:17:41 PM »

I don't reallly count Adams in this group anymore, in my eyes, he's now a starter.

Arbuckle is super hard to judge. Is he good, or simply a product of the Calgary system? We might get to find out next year if Ottawa or Toronto sign him.

Fajardo is the biggest surprise for me. He's earned himself a starting gig on a team that needed it. I think he's shown the most but the upside might be limited.

Strev has had the least opportunity so far, but we get to see what he's made of moving forward. I hope he get more opportunities to use his arm as the weeks progress.

My wife is amazing!
the paw

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2019, 03:13:40 PM »

I guess it depends on your definition of "developed".

Reilly was initially in BC's system for a good while, but came fully into his own in Edmonton. You could argue BC developed him, making him valuable enough to be so sought after when heading to FA. He's now back with that original team.
MBT started here on the PR, but got no playing time. His performance and development is a result of the Toronto system (for better or for worse lol)
Masoli came into the league in Edmonton but was injured for his entire first season. Hamilton developed him.
Adams came into the league with Montreal where he definitely had his most development time before hitting the QB carousel and returning and becoming the guy he is today.

Well, then if you use the same standard, you can say Wpg "developed" Nichols because he never really took off in Edmonton.  They "developed" Drew Willy, because he became a starter here.  Same with Kevin Glenn, etc....

Look, you can't rationalize and cherry pick your definition of development to suit your argument.  The fact is, almost every QB spends time on multiple teams PR or back-up slots before breaking out as a starter.  It is also a fact that many QBs who put in their time as back-ups have to jump teams at the end of a contract in order to get their starter status:  Kevin Glenn, Drew Willy, Mike Reilly, Trevor Harris and Collaros all spring to mind.  (So does Dom Davis, but that seems like a candle in the wind right now).

The number of QBs who step up directly into a starter's role from back-up with the same team is fairly limited.  Mitchell, Lulay, Buck Pierce, Jonathon Jennings, Pipkin (for a minute), Darian Durant I guess. 

They don't give extra points in the standings for "growing your own", you take talent where you can find it. 

grab grass 'n growl
Doublezero

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2019, 03:25:27 PM »

Adams - Biggest surprise of the season for me. Tons of upside left.
Arbuckle - Looks really good in Calgary. I doubt we've seen his best yer.
Streveler - Good enough to win with Winnipeg, not sure he'd look as good elsewhere.
Fajardo - Making the most of his opportunity. We'll see how well he does against good defences.
Khari seems to have the royal jelly for making QBs even better. But I hope @cstrevy stays here next year.

Just gimme the rock.
blue_or_die

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2019, 04:23:27 PM »

Well, then if you use the same standard, you can say Wpg "developed" Nichols because he never really took off in Edmonton.  They "developed" Drew Willy, because he became a starter here.  Same with Kevin Glenn, etc....

Look, you can't rationalize and cherry pick your definition of development to suit your argument.  The fact is, almost every QB spends time on multiple teams PR or back-up slots before breaking out as a starter.  It is also a fact that many QBs who put in their time as back-ups have to jump teams at the end of a contract in order to get their starter status:  Kevin Glenn, Drew Willy, Mike Reilly, Trevor Harris and Collaros all spring to mind.  (So does Dom Davis, but that seems like a candle in the wind right now).

The number of QBs who step up directly into a starter's role from back-up with the same team is fairly limited.  Mitchell, Lulay, Buck Pierce, Jonathon Jennings, Pipkin (for a minute), Darian Durant I guess. 

They don't give extra points in the standings for "growing your own", you take talent where you can find it. 

What do you mean suit my argument? Try to read my post again. The only argument I made was the list given by Blue in Edmonton is predicated on what you consider to be "developing". You seem to be implying that I think we should be "growing our own" (your words)? The poster I was responding to listed the current starters in the league and said only 1 was developed by their team, and I said that it depends on your definition of "develop".

Nichols had a good amount of playing time in Edmonton before coming here. He didn't sit on a PR/IR/bench like e.g. Masoli did in Edmonton before going to Hamilton. That's entirely the question I was raising- who really is responsible for the lion's share of development of the current starters right now. Nichols certainly grew and developed here, but he also developed into someone sufficiently serviceable such that we sought him. Same goes for Drew Willy in Sask (although probably to a bit of a lesser extent than Nichols).
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 04:26:00 PM by blue_or_die » Logged

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Foxhound

« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2019, 05:43:52 PM »

I don't understand why the Bombers haven't brought Chris Merchant on board for a look.

Huh

Radically Canadian!

bowlerdude

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2019, 06:14:15 PM »

I don't understand why the Bombers haven't brought Chris Merchant on board for a look.

Huh

copied this from the other thread, but:

What does Merchant have that sets him apart from the tens of QB prospects the league goes through in any given season?

The Als' released him and now have Hugo Richard - who is one of the weaker Canadian QB prospects to stick on a roster. The Argos drafted Michael O'Connor in the third round of the 2019 draft - Merchant went undrafted. It would appear as though CFL teams have decided he's nothing special.

As Canadian QB prospects go, he's a pretty good one. As QB prospects on the whole go, he's just another guy and we liked Anderson better.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2019, 06:14:50 PM »

Huh

That could have done that in July. The fact no other team choose to is all you need to know.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: