Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 09:19:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives for our # 3 QB  (Read 3757 times)
blueraid

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2019, 04:42:41 PM »

Watching Bethel-Thompson's play....IF he had an O Line comparable to ours this guy would be right up there with the best in the League....Of course most of the starters right now are back-ups BUT he'd be considered the best of the lot...including Adams in Mont.
Colton

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2019, 04:44:36 PM »

Player                            CP/AT    %         YDS    TD    INT    LG
Jun 22
 FRANKLIN, James              16/26      61.5%    211    0    1    42
BETHEL-THOMPSON, Mcleod   9/16        56.3%    99    1    1    40

Jul 1
 FRANKLIN, James              20/28    71.4%    224    1    2    56
BETHEL-THOMPSON, Mcleod   3/6       50.0%    26    0    0    12

So when Franklin started over MBT he had better stats than MBT in a game where MBT was the backup? That's your argument?

Every game MBT has started, he's looked better than Franklin as a starter. If Toronto is the reason Franklin looked like garbage as a starter, why is MBT putting up great numbers with that same team?
Pigskin

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2019, 04:44:54 PM »

The fact that Winnipeg hasn't moved on a 3rd. QB makes me think Matt will be back sooner then later.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:33:28 PM by Pigskin » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2019, 04:47:28 PM »

So when Franklin started over MBT he had better stats than MBT in a game where MBT was the backup? That's your argument?

Every game MBT has started, he's looked better than Franklin as a starter. If Toronto is the reason Franklin looked like garbage as a starter, why is MBT putting up great numbers with that same team?

When they are in the same game, with the same personnel, playing the same team, I guess that isn't a great way to compare them... 

Small sample size, but still.

Is Franklin a part of the Argos future?  Not anymore, I think.  Not sure who quit first, but both seem to have quit on each other, really...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Colton

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2019, 04:52:19 PM »

When they are in the same game, with the same personnel, playing the same team, I guess that isn't a great way to compare them... 

Small sample size, but still.

Is Franklin a part of the Argos future?  Not anymore, I think.  Not sure who quit first, but both seem to have quit on each other, really...

So your best example of Franklin outplaying MBT, are games in which James Franklin started and got so blown out he was benched for MBT?
bowlerdude

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »

MBT is much better than Franklin. It should be extremely obvious watching them play, but in case it isn't, it should also be extremely obvious by the fact that the Argos desperately wanted Franklin to be their guy and he still managed to lose the starting job to MBT twice.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:56:13 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
lenny

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2019, 05:02:41 PM »

MBT is much better than Franklin. It should be extremely obvious watching them play, but in case it isn't, it should also be extremely obvious by the fact that the Argos desperately wanted Franklin to be their guy and he still managed to lose the starting job to MBT twice

I agree regarding MBT and Franklin. I don't know what happened between going from the Esks to the Argos other than digression. We can blame it on all kinds of things but the fact of the matter both are playing with the same OL, offence etc. MBT playing the same amount of games as Nichols has over 300 more passing yds than him. His completion % is a very healthy 68.5.H's tied for second with Harris with 14TD passes. Nichols leads with 1 more. He's playing behind a dump of a team but his stats put him right up there in the CFL.

Franklin would be an ok backup though.
Blue In BC

« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2019, 05:45:36 PM »

Watching Bethel-Thompson's play....IF he had an O Line comparable to ours this guy would be right up there with the best in the League....Of course most of the starters right now are back-ups BUT he'd be considered the best of the lot...including Adams in Mont.

I seriously doubt anybody would consider him better over Fajardo or Arbuckle. They might not even think he's better than Jennings.

I think his football IQ is low and eventually he becomes a turnover machine. That was the knock on him in the NFL.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 05:48:11 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
bluegold4life

« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2019, 05:54:45 PM »

Yeeeeeck!
Slim pickings at best.

So just to muddy the waters,....one of you mentioned they have someone in mind. You didn't specify....why don't you speculate?

I don't mind trading assets.  Franklin could be a salary dump for Toronto.
The other thing to consider my fellow arm chair General Managers, is the long term future....ok next year.

I heard both Strev and Nichols need new contracts, so they are free agents and could be gone.  While we need immediate help, signing a younger potential gun slinger could be an excellent move for the future of the club.

Let's face it, Nichols and Strev, will never make the cover of "Quarterback weekly!"
Finally, I am sure many of us are thinking, THIS IS the year we get and win the Cup.( we are a very solid club) so let's get us someone who can actually reach a 300 yard passing game( remember those?)

Yes we might have to trade away some assets we prefer not to.
Walters likes to stand pat it seems, so while this is unlikely, so is a Grey Cup appearance without someone who can eclipse 90 yards passing.

Arbuckle of course....dream on
Franklin....
Jennings
.?
Not Bridge or Davis
Matthews? I don't recall.him at all.
Who was the. Guy Montreal had who cut off his hair for cancer research?

We have one of the better O lines, so someone ancient like Kevin Or Ricky Ray wouldn't necessarily get killed......in the meantime any other ideas? 

Why would Nichols need a new contract? He is signed through next season. He becomes a FA after next year (2021 Free Agent Class)
bowlerdude

« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2019, 07:16:29 PM »

I seriously doubt anybody would consider him better over Fajardo or Arbuckle. They might not even think he's better than Jennings.

I think his football IQ is low and eventually he becomes a turnover machine. That was the knock on him in the NFL.

Bethel-Thompson? He's absolutely a turnover machine, and that can be a fatal flaw, but he's a pretty good QB besides that. I don't agree with the idea of him being up there with the best in the league if he had an OL comparable to ours (especially since ours in its current state isn't great at pass blocking anyway), but he's way better than Jennings and although I could understand if people think Fajardo is better, I'd pretty strongly disagree with that (honestly, seems like Fajardo is still riding a high from lighting up Ottawa and Toronto early in the year in a lot of people's minds, he's not done a lot since and has like 630 yards and 0 TDs in four games against defenses that aren't bottom-3 in the CFL)

As for Arbuckle, well, he definitely has way higher upside and has performed better this season, although I don't know that he wouldn't have similar issues to MBT if he had to play in Toronto instead of Calgary. He's a better decision maker for sure though.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 07:19:59 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
gobombersgo

« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2019, 07:32:52 PM »

The fact that Winnipeg has moved on a 3rd. QB makes me think Matt will be back sooner then later.
I think that the Bombers are still looking to bring in another QB it just may not be one with lots of CFL experience.

I wouldn't be surprised if they announce a QB signing tomorrow morning.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »

Can't use this excuse when he's been outplayed by McLeod Bethel-Thompson on that very same team.

but Franklin didn't make it 3 quarters before getting hurt... who's to say that he couldn't, wouldn't, have similar are better numbers... not saying he would just that we really don't know... and Toronto's pass protection has improved over the course of 10 games, but early on it was bad...

put Franklin behind a good O line and you'd see results similar to what he did in Edmonton behind a good O line...  but it's a lot like Reilly's deal now, you can't make it happen when you're a) running for your life, or b) laying on your back because you got sacked, especially 36 times...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2019, 08:13:19 PM »

Bethel-Thompson? He's absolutely a turnover machine, and that can be a fatal flaw, but he's a pretty good QB besides that. I don't agree with the idea of him being up there with the best in the league if he had an OL comparable to ours (especially since ours in its current state isn't great at pass blocking anyway), but he's way better than Jennings and although I could understand if people think Fajardo is better, I'd pretty strongly disagree with that (honestly, seems like Fajardo is still riding a high from lighting up Ottawa and Toronto early in the year in a lot of people's minds, he's not done a lot since and has like 630 yards and 0 TDs in four games against defenses that aren't bottom-3 in the CFL)

As for Arbuckle, well, he definitely has way higher upside and has performed better this season, although I don't know that he wouldn't have similar issues to MBT if he had to play in Toronto instead of Calgary. He's a better decision maker for sure though.

Fajardo is working within a very good system and similar to Nichols doesn't need to win the game all on his shoulders. He's making very few mistakes, very accurate in his throws and has good mobility.

No more excuses.
bowlerdude

« Reply #58 on: August 27, 2019, 08:52:39 PM »

Fajardo is working within a very good system and similar to Nichols doesn't need to win the game all on his shoulders. He's making very few mistakes, very accurate in his throws and has good mobility.

I mean, he wouldn't be the first QB I'm wrong about. But I don't think he's done much besides light up two bad defenses in weeks 2 and 3. He may be game managing well but he's played 5 games against bottom-3 defenses. And Nichols at least got the ball into the endzone - he's still leading the league in passing touchdowns - Fajardo, on the other hand, is 8th. I don't like him much and I think the shine will wear off with Winnipeg x3, Edmonton x2 and Calgary in his second half schedule.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:55:21 PM by bowlerdude » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: August 27, 2019, 09:02:22 PM »

I mean, he wouldn't be the first QB I'm wrong about. But I don't think he's done much besides light up two bad defenses in weeks 2 and 3. He may be game managing well but he's played 5 games against bottom-3 defenses. And Nichols at least got the ball into the endzone - he's still leading the league in passing touchdowns - Fajardo, on the other hand, is 8th. I don't like him much and I think the shine will wear off with Winnipeg x3, Edmonton x2 and Calgary in his second half schedule.

As long as it wears off for the next two weeks.

Anyway. The point being is that he seems to be a QB with a higher football IQ. I'll take that over a strong armed one that is mistake prone which is what MBT has shown in both his NFL and CFL careers. He hasn't exactly been doing against better teams.

90 yards in the 1st game against Edmonton. Shudder that sounds like Streveler stats. 200 yards in the 2nd game against Edmonton. He threw for 343 yards against Calgary but 4 int's

It's the same problem with Jennings.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:06:18 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: