Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 09:08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives for our # 3 QB  (Read 3756 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2019, 01:30:43 PM »

One issue with giving up value for a QB via trade is that you can't roster four QBs. So, if Nichols heals up faster than expected (or is actually just out 4-6 weeks) you now have a situation where you are hoping McGuire takes a PR spot or you're releasing the guy you traded for.

Then you fake an injury and move a QB to 1 game IR. That's where the Argos put O'Connor for example.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »

Just say no to any QB without CFL experience. We already have 1 of those and an inexperienced starter.

Any QB we bring in now would be insurance for this year, would learn our offence, would show the coaches if he's a player or a JAG (Just Another Guy). He'd also be insurance assuming we lose one of Nichols/Streveler in the off season.

Pushing McGuire to the PR if/when Nichols comes back isn't much of a downside IMO. No one else will sign him at that time of the year so his choices would be PR or go home. Gotta assume the CFL experienced QB would be better than McGuire anyway.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2019, 02:12:56 PM »

Then you fake an injury and move a QB to 1 game IR. That's where the Argos put O'Connor for example.

You're right. Could definitely do that.
DM83

« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2019, 03:11:23 PM »

Who cares about McGuire?

If you all thought he could play, then why are we discussing acquiring anither QB.?

Well the point is, if you don't think we are Grey Cup contenders, then do nothing.
But if Nichols doesn't come back, and Strev gets hurt, then what?  McGuire? Really? My God!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2019, 03:14:46 PM »

Who cares about McGuire?

If you all thought he could play, then why are we discussing acquiring anither QB.?

Well the point is, if you don't think we are Grey Cup contenders, then do nothing.
But if Nichols doesn't come back, and Strev gets hurt, then what?  McGuire? Really? My God!

Yes, you need someone for this year. I agree. However, if you think McGuire is a blue chip prospect at the most important position on the field you have to find a way to keep him.
Blue In BC

« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2019, 03:22:43 PM »

Every QB in the CFL was JAG when he arrived. BLM, Reilly, Nichols, Jennings etc. Some QB's progress very quickly and are forced into starting roles due to injury. Some have success and some fail but it depends on how good the supporting roster is around them.

Prior to this season Fajardo only had about 70 pass attempts. Who knew?

Obviously if we find a QB with CFL experience that would provide more of a comfort zone. OTOH it's why we put QB's on neg lists.

I've never seen McGuire in practice. He may be out of the CFL in 2020 or he may end up becoming a good QB in the future. The question will always be how soon in the future. Until he plays only the coaches have some idea.

1st practice this week is Wednesday. I'm expecting an addition to be announced maybe even 2. Adding a neg list to the PR wouldn't be the worst idea even if we find a CFL vet.

If we don't add anybody this week I'd find that strange. Anybody is better than nobody you'd think.

Any QB is going to need time to learn the play book and develop chemistry with the receivers.

A question if a trade occurs:

1. If a trade is made and a new QB joins the roster tomorrow we'd be paying the game day check.
2. If a trade is made this Saturday there would be no opportunity to add him to roster for this weeks game.

So which team pays the player when a trade is made based on the timing of the trade. Is there an SMS consideration as to the application?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 03:32:21 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 03:43:21 PM »

One issue with giving up value for a QB via trade is that you can't roster four QBs. So, if Nichols heals up faster than expected (or is actually just out 4-6 weeks) you now have a situation where you are hoping McGuire takes a PR spot or you're releasing the guy you traded for.

You can IR a player... and depending on where the players end up in the pecking order, that's always an option.  With the $M$ we are saving with Nichols on the 6 game, we can easily carry 4 QB's through the playoffs... which would be an amazing depth to have.  Nichols, Streveler, McGuire AND Franklin?  Really, you don't think taking that roster into the playoffs is worth a second rounder (hopefully the last pick of the second round)?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 03:52:01 PM »

You can IR a player... and depending on where the players end up in the pecking order, that's always an option.  With the $M$ we are saving with Nichols on the 6 game, we can easily carry 4 QB's through the playoffs... which would be an amazing depth to have.  Nichols, Streveler, McGuire AND Franklin?  Really, you don't think taking that roster into the playoffs is worth a second rounder (hopefully the last pick of the second round)?

No I don't think it's worth a 2nd rounder considering how badly Franklin has played in Toronto or that he becomes a free agent going into 2020.

Doesn't help if Nichols is on the roster going into the playoffs if he's still on the IR and can't practice or play.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2019, 03:57:23 PM »

No I don't think it's worth a 2nd rounder considering how badly Franklin has played in Toronto or that he becomes a free agent going into 2020.

Doesn't help if Nichols is on the roster going into the playoffs if he's still on the IR and can't practice or play.

Franklin has played badly in Toronto because its Toronto.  Who has played well?

For a 3rd (4th) Qb on the roster, I can't imagine getting a better player.  If Nichols does not come off the IR this year, then for sure we need that depth.  If he does, we can have one of teh other develop a bad case of turf toe and get a full paycheque on the 1 game. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Colton

« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2019, 04:05:19 PM »

Franklin has played badly in Toronto because its Toronto.  Who has played well?

Can't use this excuse when he's been outplayed by McLeod Bethel-Thompson on that very same team.
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2019, 04:10:35 PM »

Can't use this excuse when he's been outplayed by McLeod Bethel-Thompson on that very same team.

He has played 2 games this year, in each he put up stats better than MBT, with the exception of INTs. 

Colton

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2019, 04:27:00 PM »

He has played 2 games this year, in each he put up stats better than MBT, with the exception of INTs. 

He did? Which stats are those?

Completions per game:
Franklin - 18
MBT - 21

Completion %:
Franklin - 66.7%
MBT - 68.5%

Yards per game:
Franklin - 217.5
MBT - 250.6

TDs per game:
Franklin - 0.5
MBT - 1.5

INT per game:
Franklin - 1.5
MBT - 1

TD/INT Ratio:
Franklin - 0.33
MBT - 1.55

Efficiency:
Franklin - 74.2
MBT - 96.5

INT%:
Franklin - 5.6
MBT - 3.3

Average:
Franklin - 8.1
MBT - 8.2

Those are all of the stats available on CFL.ca. By my count, Franklin exceeds MBT in exactly 2 categories: INT per game & INT %, and that's generally considered a bad category to lead in by most experts.

Are there any other categories I'm missing?
blue_or_die

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »

I?m agreeing with TBurg 100% and it feels weird.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2019, 04:34:22 PM »

Player                            CP/AT    %         YDS    TD    INT    LG
Jun 22
 FRANKLIN, James              16/26      61.5%    211    0    1    42
BETHEL-THOMPSON, Mcleod   9/16        56.3%    99    1    1    40

Jul 1
 FRANKLIN, James              20/28    71.4%    224    1    2    56
BETHEL-THOMPSON, Mcleod   3/6       50.0%    26    0    0    12

theaardvark

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »

Just say no to any QB without CFL experience. We already have 1 of those and an inexperienced starter.

Any QB we bring in now would be insurance for this year, would learn our offence, would show the coaches if he's a player or a JAG (Just Another Guy). He'd also be insurance assuming we lose one of Nichols/Streveler in the off season.

Pushing McGuire to the PR if/when Nichols comes back isn't much of a downside IMO. No one else will sign him at that time of the year so his choices would be PR or go home. Gotta assume the CFL experienced QB would be better than McGuire anyway.

McGuire already refused a push to the PR, as did Bennett, which is why neither is on our PR...  we chose to keep McGuire on the roster...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: