Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 07:26:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives for our # 3 QB  (Read 3755 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 12:10:26 AM »

Bring in a QB from NFL for nothing (cuts) and hope Nichols comes back and is ok and Strev can go 500.  Pretty simple.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2019, 12:14:29 AM »

Yes that is what I read, I think the pick should be conditional based on how many games Franklin plays and if he re-signs with the Bombers if he plays in 3+ games or Signs for next year then a 2nd is fair if he is just a backup and gone after this year a 3-4th rounder would more than fair.

I just can't believe that its taken this long to get a QB since they really need 2 one for the Roster and one for the Practice Roster. I personally doubt Nichols will be 100% the rest of 2019 if he dislocated his throwing Shoulder and he might never be the same based on other QBs that had the same injury.

No issues giving up our 2nd for him to hold a clipboard all year, and if he plays/signs, make it a first... or add in the next years second...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2019, 12:29:50 AM »

My first choice is Brandon Bridge. After that a conditional trade for James Franklin. And please no more mention of Ricky Ray or Travis Lulay. They probably don't want to un-retire. A body can only take so many beat downs.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2019, 02:37:39 AM »

I have zero interest in an NFL cut who has never seen a CFL field or playbook. That will do nothing for us if something happens to Streveler. I'd send a 2 to Toronto for Franklin.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
Jbombers

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2019, 02:50:56 AM »

I have zero interest in an NFL cut who has never seen a CFL field or playbook. That will do nothing for us if something happens to Streveler. I'd send a 2 to Toronto for Franklin.

Hard no on a second rounder. I?d go with a fourth tops
bunker

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2019, 03:23:58 AM »

I'm on board with this. Any NFL cut at QB will be brought in with next year in mind at the earliest. They can't pick up the CFL game and our offence that quickly.

I would see if Toronto would make the pick conditional, a second if Franklin starts X number of games, a third if not. We have lots of young Canadian talent, and cannot keep everyone. A pick is expendable for some security at the most important position on the field.
DM83

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2019, 03:53:29 AM »

No NFL cut except maybe Doug Flutie could help us for the next 3 months. No wait, that. Former San Francisco 49er guy with the Fro who was blackballed.  He. Could run that read option.

Brandon Bridge..that's an Embarassment. No!

How bout the. Guy from Sask that we signed, he took the bonus then quit.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 04:33:57 AM by ModAdmin » Logged
dd

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2019, 04:57:24 AM »

Bridge is an embarassment?? Darian Durant is even worse of an embarrassment !! No way no how would I even entertain calling him. That bridge is burnt and speaking of bridge, he?s the obvious Choice for #3 and if not him then Franklin. Franklin would do miles better than streveler with our current roster and O line
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2019, 04:59:27 AM »

ill go conditional 3rd for Franklin, upgraded to second if he resigns with the Bombers.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2019, 05:33:42 AM »

if all that is left is cull QBs, why waste the money on signing one... if you 'killed' 3 QBs during the course of just part of a season, haven't you hurt enough players in the first place?

but seriously, if you are signing one to help the current QBs, Nichols is able to be at practice and games for that... that signing a cull QB would probably be no better than letting Darvin play QB, why waste the money? 

save the money or use it on a different impact player that could actually play and contribute to the team on the field...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
DM83

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2019, 11:22:28 AM »

Huh?
Adams is hurt
They need a third QB.

Stay on track, now.
Who is the.guy?

Agreed, Franklin would be a better choice.  But it's becoming more apparent Collaris is done, so Toronto still needs a back up. So the Franklin pick up may be out the window.  If MBH became available grab him, obviously, but same scenario,...they still need back up.

They need to get somebody.
Sec223

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2019, 11:27:22 AM »

#17 is going to be a huge target. Hope we don't need to look for 2 QB's.
theaardvark

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2019, 12:32:14 PM »

OK, Franklin... Conditional picks?  We are looking for insurance, not a long term solution.  Unless Franklin comes in and blows the coaches away in practice and beats out McGuire and Streveler for the backup to Nichols role, he is a rental.  Like Stasny or Hayes... for the rest of the season, and if he wins a spot, great. 

So, conditional picks aren't really a concern, but if it makes a difference to get Popp to pull the trigger, a conditional 2nd that becomes a first if he starts a playoff game or he re-signs. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2019, 01:05:10 PM »

I'm on board with this. Any NFL cut at QB will be brought in with next year in mind at the earliest. They can't pick up the CFL game and our offence that quickly.

I would see if Toronto would make the pick conditional, a second if Franklin starts X number of games, a third if not. We have lots of young Canadian talent, and cannot keep everyone. A pick is expendable for some security at the most important position on the field.

We have lots of good Canadian talent but how many of them are potential free agents going into 2020?

Woli, Petermann, Speller, Hecht off the top of my head are all in their last year of contract. So giving up a 2nd round pick is always a risk.

We may not lose any of our Canadians in free agency but we lost 3 starters going into 2019.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »

OK, Franklin... Conditional picks?  We are looking for insurance, not a long term solution.  Unless Franklin comes in and blows the coaches away in practice and beats out McGuire and Streveler for the backup to Nichols role, he is a rental.  Like Stasny or Hayes... for the rest of the season, and if he wins a spot, great. 

So, conditional picks aren't really a concern, but if it makes a difference to get Popp to pull the trigger, a conditional 2nd that becomes a first if he starts a playoff game or he re-signs. 

One issue with giving up value for a QB via trade is that you can't roster four QBs. So, if Nichols heals up faster than expected (or is actually just out 4-6 weeks) you now have a situation where you are hoping McGuire takes a PR spot or you're releasing the guy you traded for.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: