Blue Bombers Forum
May 29, 2020, 05:29:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternatives for our # 3 QB  (Read 3772 times)
Blue In BC

« on: August 26, 2019, 05:48:53 PM »

Just thought a new thread for possible ideas might be in order instead of the specific Drew Willy thread.

It's possible the team is doing something today but I suspect it may not be announced until we resume practice. Partially because of the A. Harris announcement earlier. Partially because some teams may be making roster decisions after the weekend games etc.

More and more if there is a trade Franklin seems like the most obvious choice if the asking price is not too high. A new chance might do wonders for him.

At this point any trade might be our least considered option. That's just an opinion and I guess we'll see whether it's our best option.

Many posters have suggested some retired QB's but we don't know any of them want to un-retire or not.

I am hopeful we have another QB at practice this week on day 1.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:17:42 PM »

It's been discussed to death, just not in it's own thread.

Franklin or Jennings if you're willing to trade assets. Bridge if you aren't.

I'd like to see another QB on the roster RFN. Streveler taking a big hit and looking wobbly made me very worried we'd have to see what McGuire brings to the table way too early.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
the paw

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:32:43 PM »

I'd like to see another QB on the roster RFN. Streveler taking a big hit and looking wobbly made me very worried we'd have to see what McGuire brings to the table way too early.

I would not want to give up assets.  I maintain that its a short term rental, and anyone we can get via trade isn't really going to be in a much better position to help the club than any of the guys you don't have to trade for.  Also, I am betting after this weekend, Jennings is no longer available.  (Dom Davis might be, but hard pass).

In addition to Bridge, I would consider Jeff Matthews.  After those two, I think Drew Willy would not be the worst thing.  Someone suggested Alex Ross, which might be better than a total noob.

grab grass 'n growl
bunker

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 06:33:18 PM »

I still wonder what Franklin would look like with a good team around him and a good OC. He looked like the next great thing in Edmonton. Not convinced Strev is going to be the answer unless his passing game improves, and his style does make him more prone to injury.
Waffler

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:40:59 PM »

Thoughts on Pipkin?

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 07:48:36 PM »

Thoughts on Pipkin?

Actually that's not a bad suggestion but he's the Als #2 backup at this point is he not? Can't see them moving him.
dd

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »

Pimpkin ain?t going anywhere not without trades for assets, and if we re doing that then franklins in the conversation

Bridge would be worthwhile bringing in as #3 and would do better than Strev is presently doing passing wise
DM83

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:15:29 PM »

Yeeeeeck!
Slim pickings at best.

So just to muddy the waters,....one of you mentioned they have someone in mind. You didn't specify....why don't you speculate?

I don't mind trading assets.  Franklin could be a salary dump for Toronto.
The other thing to consider my fellow arm chair General Managers, is the long term future....ok next year.

I heard both Strev and Nichols need new contracts, so they are free agents and could be gone.  While we need immediate help, signing a younger potential gun slinger could be an excellent move for the future of the club.

Let's face it, Nichols and Strev, will never make the cover of "Quarterback weekly!"
Finally, I am sure many of us are thinking, THIS IS the year we get and win the Cup.( we are a very solid club) so let's get us someone who can actually reach a 300 yard passing game( remember those?)

Yes we might have to trade away some assets we prefer not to.
Walters likes to stand pat it seems, so while this is unlikely, so is a Grey Cup appearance without someone who can eclipse 90 yards passing.

Arbuckle of course....dream on
Franklin....
Jennings
.?
Not Bridge or Davis
Matthews? I don't recall.him at all.
Who was the. Guy Montreal had who cut off his hair for cancer research?

We have one of the better O lines, so someone ancient like Kevin Or Ricky Ray wouldn't necessarily get killed......in the meantime any other ideas? 
bowlerdude

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 08:19:57 PM »

Pipkin is so bad

Receivers are just as capable of dropping any other QB's passes

Maybe give Streveler more than one game in a downpour, against one of the best defenses and best pass rushing team in the league, where he had four very well-placed passes go incomplete and did the game manager thing very well before we replace him for beating a 6-3 team
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 08:37:25 PM »

Some complained and suggested it as thread hijacking. Might not have been you regarding QB's but IIRC you did want a separate thread to discuss whether Neufeld was injury prone.

You can't have it both ways.

Doesn't matter if it's discussed to death because it was discussed to death in the Drew Willy thread .

We're still looking for the alternative. Until late last week we were not certain Franklin would come off the IR.

So things have changed in that regard.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 08:40:13 PM »

Actually that's not a bad suggestion but he's the Als #2 backup at this point is he not? Can't see them moving him.

Well they just extended Shiltz today. That may or may not factor into their decisions.

As of today Pipkin is a potential free agent and Shiltz and Adams are not.

I agree that Ottawa might have been considering whether to jettison Jennings but that probably changed or got delayed after their game this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 08:43:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:25 PM »

I have no problem with trading for a QB.  Assets are worthless without wins... make the deal. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2019, 09:39:14 PM »

I have no problem with trading for a QB.  Assets are worthless without wins... make the deal. 

Depends on which assets are trade for the new asset gained. It's possible there is a win win for both teams but it's against the odds.

Not every team has a QB they want to give up and if they do may want an asset we don't want to give up.

It's arguable whether any QB is going to be better than an NFL cut or neg list signing.

Can't disagree that assets don't mean much without wins but who is to say Streveler doesn't stay healthy and start lighting it up?

If he doesn't we may see McGuire before a QB we trade for at this point in the season. The coaches may have a high expectation that Nichols is back in 3 or 4 weeks or they may know he's gone for the season.

Unfortunately we don't know what they know that hasn't been disclosed.

Maybe someone that's gone to bunch of Bomber practices can say what he's looked like.

I'm not opposed to trading an asset. It will depend on whether it's good value for assets traded. Not every trade would be an overall benefit.

I wouldn't trade Jefferson for Franklin. I'd be willing to trade Roh for him though considering the re-signing of McAllister, the play of Kongbo and Hansen and the chance Jeffcoat returns in a couple of games.

Argos appear to be out of the playoffs so they may be looking to shed SMS but maybe not. They may also be looking at 2020 and who they keep with the rest of the season as more auditions.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 09:54:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 10:12:36 PM »

Depends on which assets are trade for the new asset gained. It's possible there is a win win for both teams but it's against the odds.

Not every team has a QB they want to give up and if they do may want an asset we don't want to give up.

It's arguable whether any QB is going to be better than an NFL cut or neg list signing.

Can't disagree that assets don't mean much without wins but who is to say Streveler doesn't stay healthy and start lighting it up?

If he doesn't we may see McGuire before a QB we trade for at this point in the season. The coaches may have a high expectation that Nichols is back in 3 or 4 weeks or they may know he's gone for the season.

Unfortunately we don't know what they know that hasn't been disclosed.

Maybe someone that's gone to bunch of Bomber practices can say what he's looked like.

I'm not opposed to trading an asset. It will depend on whether it's good value for assets traded. Not every trade would be an overall benefit.

I wouldn't trade Jefferson for Franklin. I'd be willing to trade Roh for him though considering the re-signing of McAllister, the play of Kongbo and Hansen and the chance Jeffcoat returns in a couple of games.

Argos appear to be out of the playoffs so they may be looking to shed SMS but maybe not. They may also be looking at 2020 and who they keep with the rest of the season as more auditions.

The ask for Franklin was reported to be a 2nd rounder.  That asset is well in proportion to the gain.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BBFANDM

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 10:54:18 PM »

The ask for Franklin was reported to be a 2nd rounder.  That asset is well in proportion to the gain.

Yes that is what I read, I think the pick should be conditional based on how many games Franklin plays and if he re-signs with the Bombers if he plays in 3+ games or Signs for next year then a 2nd is fair if he is just a backup and gone after this year a 3-4th rounder would more than fair.

I just can't believe that its taken this long to get a QB since they really need 2 one for the Roster and one for the Practice Roster. I personally doubt Nichols will be 100% the rest of 2019 if he dislocated his throwing Shoulder and he might never be the same based on other QBs that had the same injury.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2019, 10:59:57 PM by BBFANDM » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
  Print  

Jump to: