Blue Bombers Forum
May 29, 2020, 07:08:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Harris suspended for 2 games  (Read 15350 times)
bowlerdude

« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2019, 05:20:13 PM »

fair enough and I agree with what you're saying... but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the population doesn't know what a banned substance is or how it is used, myself being one of them... when you get people discussing it's use and why it's used it comes off as someone defending their use... don't take that the wrong way, its just that I'm ignorant in regards to banned substances and their use so I have no clue as to what your if what you are telling me is the truth or no, I don't even know you...

for me, the big thing, the thing that was the determining factor in my personal opinion on the matter was what he did after the suspension... Harris did something that I don't recall anyone else ever doing when they failed a drug test like this... he put himself in front of the media and answered open questions regarding his situation... in the past others may have 'addressed' the media by simply standing in front of a podium and reading a prepared statement... that's a pretty safe and easy way to try and get forgiveness and get your side of the story out there...

What Andrew did was completely different and something I thing people should consider... sure, he said that he didn't intentionally take the banned substance but he also said that he would willingly take the punishment for doing so because that was the rule... he showed support of the league and the rule by doing so and wasn't lobbying for an exception to the rule or why he shouldn't be punished... but he wanted to let the people that he cared about hear his story straight from his mouth and was willing to subject himself to the 'open' questions of the media to do so...

guilty people rarely put themselves in a position such as this, to be in front of the general public and be asked any question and be prepared to answer them while it was being recorded... it goes back to one of my favorite sayings, 'those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing' and for me this was a prime example of that... guilty people want to get their story, or excuse, out to the public but you don't see them willing to do a press conference and allow the media to ask you any question they want... Andrew Harris was willing to do that because he felt he had nothing to hide...

he wasn't looking for leniency, he wasn't asking for the league to make an exception, he was saying it was a conspiracy or that the results were wrong...  he was/is willing to accept the findings and the punishment and show support of the league, but, he wanted to let the people he cared about, the club, his team mates, fans, family, and friends that he didn't do it intentionally... and in order to do so he was willing to let those looking to find a story asked him anything they wanted to as he was able and willing to answer whatever they asked because he had nothing to hide...

I really don't care what Rider fans think, I don't know any of them and their opinion effects me in no way... finding pleasure at the expense of others isn't an attribute I find in the people who's opinion I do care about...

Agreed. Well said.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2019, 05:22:05 PM »

fair enough and I agree with what you're saying... but I'd be willing to bet that 99% of the population doesn't know what a banned substance is or how it is used, myself being one of them... when you get people discussing it's use and why it's used it comes off as someone defending their use... don't take that the wrong way, its just that I'm ignorant in regards to banned substances and their use so I have no clue as to what your if what you are telling me is the truth or no, I don't even know you...

for me, the big thing, the thing that was the determining factor in my personal opinion on the matter was what he did after the suspension... Harris did something that I don't recall anyone else ever doing when they failed a drug test like this... he put himself in front of the media and answered open questions regarding his situation... in the past others may have 'addressed' the media by simply standing in front of a podium and reading a prepared statement... that's a pretty safe and easy way to try and get forgiveness and get your side of the story out there...

What Andrew did was completely different and something I thing people should consider... sure, he said that he didn't intentionally take the banned substance but he also said that he would willingly take the punishment for doing so because that was the rule... he showed support of the league and the rule by doing so and wasn't lobbying for an exception to the rule or why he shouldn't be punished... but he wanted to let the people that he cared about hear his story straight from his mouth and was willing to subject himself to the 'open' questions of the media to do so...

guilty people rarely put themselves in a position such as this, to be in front of the general public and be asked any question and be prepared to answer them while it was being recorded... it goes back to one of my favorite sayings, 'those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing' and for me this was a prime example of that... guilty people want to get their story, or excuse, out to the public but you don't see them willing to do a press conference and allow the media to ask you any question they want... Andrew Harris was willing to do that because he felt he had nothing to hide...

he wasn't looking for leniency, he wasn't asking for the league to make an exception, he was saying it was a conspiracy or that the results were wrong...  he was/is willing to accept the findings and the punishment and show support of the league, but, he wanted to let the people he cared about, the club, his team mates, fans, family, and friends that he didn't do it intentionally... and in order to do so he was willing to let those looking to find a story asked him anything they wanted to as he was able and willing to answer whatever they asked because he had nothing to hide...

I really don't care what Rider fans think, I don't know any of them and their opinion effects me in no way... finding pleasure at the expense of others isn't an attribute I find in the people who's opinion I do care about...

Awesome post. The last paragraph is particularly awesome.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
jeremy q public

« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2019, 06:52:07 PM »

/thread
trapper

« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2019, 07:22:20 PM »

For what it's worth, and I think it is worth a lot being that he admitted to using the steroids, Thigpen says he believes AH's story.

On another note, Thigpen is also something to keep in mind for the fans that are venturing to Regina this weekend in case they get any razzing from the Rider fans about Harris.

Backup RB vs League's premier Canadian and one of the top players.... not the same thing.

Thigpen was mocked by a lot here...including myself.  But in fairness (tongue in cheek) he wasn't trying to increase performance...he was trying to look buff to be a model lol
blue newt

« Reply #304 on: August 29, 2019, 07:42:23 PM »

Backup RB vs League's premier Canadian and one of the top players.... not the same thing.

Thigpen was mocked by a lot here...including myself.  But in fairness (tongue in cheek) he wasn't trying to increase performance...he was trying to look buff to be a model lol

I like seeing players from other teams coming to a player's defense (and not just because Harris is a Bomber!).  There's so much trash talking and twitter rants against each other, that when players from other teams rally behind a guy, it's a nice reminder of the brotherhood that they can have when they aren't going for each others' throats.

Thigpen and Elimimian didn't have to say anything, but it's a nice gesture that they did.
swansong

« Reply #305 on: August 29, 2019, 08:36:17 PM »

'those that have nothing to hide, hide nothing'

There's a reason nations like our's have Miranda rights or similar equivalents. The right to privacy and to not potentially self incriminate are there for a reason. A person's unwillingness to divulge every part of their personal life is not and should not be used as an indication of guilt of any kind. Courts have upheld this notion time and again.

Did you know that 90% of US currency contains trace amounts of cocaine?

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2009/august/new-study-up-to-90-percent-of-us-paper-money-contains-traces-of-cocaine.html

Is my unwillingness to provide all my currency for drug testing an indication of my guilt for possessing cocaine or is it an unwillingness to be falsely accused/convicted of a crime I didn't commit?

If we applied the same zero tolerance policies being used in this case against Harris virtually each and every American could be convicted of cocaine possession.

Any lawyer worth their salt will tell you if you find yourself a potential suspect in an investigation to never talk to the police. Not necessarily because you may be guilty but because "anything you say can and will be used against you". You'll notice it doesn't say "used to exonerate you".

Everyone has a right to their privacy and their unwillingness to cede that right is in no way an indication of wrong doing...and god help us the day that changes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 08:42:14 PM by swansong » Logged
Pigskin

« Reply #306 on: August 29, 2019, 08:42:34 PM »

I wonder if AH33 considered or has had an independent group test him? Also what does it cost the CFL to do these drugs tests?
bowlerdude

« Reply #307 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:49 PM »

I wonder if AH33 considered or has had an independent group test him? Also what does it cost the CFL to do these drugs tests?

I don't think there was anything wrong with the test, though.

It looks more and more likely that there was no intent/cheating going on here, but I don't see why the test would've turned up a false positive.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]
  Print  

Jump to: