Blue Bombers Forum
September 18, 2020, 10:13:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Lions 8/15/2019  (Read 4119 times)
bowlerdude

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »

I mean, there have been times where Nichols was struggling to move the ball at all that I would've liked to see Streveler go in for a series and see what happens. Last night was not one of those times... I assume that it was scripted to give Streveler a series somewhere, because it was the best quarter Nichols had played all year. Unfortunately it didn't go very well and killed some momentum.

The timing was not there on most of those plays, and I think trying to judge Streveler's readiness to take over our actual offense based on the lack of success of a package of plays that, if we're being honest, is largely gimmick plays and not at all an actual CFL offense, is kind of silly.

Even if the pick was a ball he shouldn't have thrown (which I'm not convinced it was but I've only seen the play live), it was a play where the timing was a little messy, he bought some time, realized nothing was there and made a quick decision to get rid of the ball. Frankly none of that is bad, it's what you want your QB to do. Give him some time to practice with the actual offense and he'll be just fine.

Nichols injury aside, a solid game. If our defense isn't best in the CFL they're very close and they made things miserable for Reilly. Besides a 56-yard trick play, BC had 161 yards of total offense despite winning TOP. 3.03 yards per play if you take the trick play out, 4.1 yards per play even if you include it... and of course, held to 16 points. Lots of pressure, lots of forced fumbles, lots of big hits. Was cool to see Thiadric Hansen get some playing time, played some defensive end and did pretty well!

Special teams are the best in the CFL. BC had two very short kickoffs and a punt out of bounds - field position gains that don't show up in Janarion Grant's stats, but that he obviously had a lot to do with. Then they give us two massive plays once BC took a 13-12 lead that completely flipped the game.
DM83

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »

BC should be. Better than they are.
Great comment on why BC didn't recognize Blitz!

Just throw a quick look in.

Or screens....the OC should be canned. Same as their H Coach. 
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »

BC should be. Better than they are.
Great comment on why BC didn't recognize Blitz!

Just throw a quick look in.

Or screens....the OC should be canned. Same as their H Coach. 

Can't help but agree with your comments. BC has some talent and the OL is not as bad as one would think - it is just the game schemes they run. They have a great QB and a good RB. Defensive line is not all that bad. But I have my doubts as to their HC - he was a great DC in Calgary but not really HC material from what I can see todate.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »

BC is a joke of a team...we have seen this type of team here before - they can nothing right cause it starts at the top and makes its way through every aspect - management, coaches and players.  No easy fix except starting over
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »

BC's a bad team. The score kinda flattered them.

Nichols was on fire in the first quarter, then cooled off.

We got unlucky with a pass off the upright and a FG off the upright too.

The blocked punt for a TD, the returned punt inside the 20 turned the game back in our favour after BC managed to get back in it.

The defence had another great day. Sacked Reilly 7 times, forced 3 Reilly fumbles and Jefferson's pick set us up for another score. Got us the ball back right after Nichols fumble too.

Honestly my only worry is about Nichols health after that game.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »

I did a drive summary chart for last nights game...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
kkc60

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »

What's up with Wolitarsky? Two bad games in a row. Hes young but these recent struggles in a contract year is tougn
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »

What's up with Wolitarsky? Two bad games in a row. Hes young but these recent struggles in a contract year is tougn

yah...he may do better with Strev in there but if we din't have this QB issue I would maybe think about more of Peterman and less of Woli...for now we will see  if the darn roommate connection can be established again.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »

yah...he may do better with Strev in there but if we din't have this QB issue I would maybe think about more of Peterman and less of Woli...for now we will see  if the darn roommate connection can be established again.
The bobbled pas for a pick was slightly off target but still catchable....the bobble in the end zone was just some bad luck.....I think he's still a good receiver having a few struggles.

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
kkc60

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »

The bobbled pas for a pick was slightly off target but still catchable....the bobble in the end zone was just some bad luck.....I think he's still a good receiver having a few struggles.
No one is saying he isn't good. Just 1 for 9 and a costly bobble last night plus the bobble last week. Hopefully he gets back to being the reliable, unspectacular receiver he id
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »

Good to see the Bomber's 2019 draft picks get playing time.

Desjarlais @ LG
Kongbo coming in for Roh
Eli coming in on jumbo packages
Exume and Hamlett out there on special teams
Even your Global draft pick Hallett made plays
TBURGESS

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

Woli's bobbled pass for the pick, last night was mostly on him. Nichols didn't throw a great pass, but Woli should have caught it anyway.

I don't think Woli had a bad game last week tho.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
bowlerdude

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:16 PM »

it's one bad game in a row, he wasn't bad the week before

last night's mistake was bad though, even if the pass was bad, there was nobody within 5 yards of him when Nichols threw the ball... it was a very safe and very catchable pass and he just kinda bobbled it up in the air right to a defender, that's all on him

I'm sure he'll be back to normal next week, especially if Streveler's playing
kkc60

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »

it's one bad game in a row, he wasn't bad the week before

last night's mistake was bad though, even if the pass was bad, there was nobody within 5 yards of him when Nichols threw the ball... it was a very safe and very catchable pass and he just kinda bobbled it up in the air right to a defender, that's all on him

I'm sure he'll be back to normal next week, especially if Streveler's playing
He wasn't bad I suppose just quiet. He has 2 catches for 22 yards the past 2 games
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »

The entire Bomber receiving corp needs to be better especially if Nichols isn't 100%.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: