Blue Bombers Forum
August 19, 2019, 12:24:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Lions 8/15/2019  (Read 1366 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: August 16, 2019, 02:15:38 AM »

first, congratulations to Andrew Harris on his impressive, record setting night!

Not sure how I feel about this win... I was hopeful early to say that all 3 phases played great tonight and earned a impressive win... but... The O definitely struggled at times tonight... early Nichols looked great, with big, impressive long throws... team looked good, but, the turn overs have to be concerning...

it will be interesting to hear everyone's opinion on this Bomber performance and we will see if the stats back up what we saw... but only 41 yards total offense before starting our last drive in the second half and only 64 total has to be concerning, even with the short field position we had at times... and 6 turn overs by the O and a -3 turn over ratio for the night doesn't look good...

I'll be updating with stats and graphs a bit later...

so, what does everybody think?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »

Two big plays by Jefferson and then Sayles with his blocked punt TD were huge momentum swings and the Lions were suddenly out of it.   Happy for Harris who is one of the best running backs ever for the Bombers.....also worried about losing Nichols but if it's serious this is Streveler's chance to show us what he has!   

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:35:54 AM »

Odd game in many ways. Lost TOP but won total yardage. Only one punt by Medlock. No passes to Harris.

The 2 int's were ugly. Hitting the goal post with a pass and on a FG attempt.

Score flattered the Lions. It made me nervous that we let them back in the game.

We had 1 int, 2 fumble recoveries ( including a blocked punt for a TD ) and 1 turnover on downs as opposed to 3 turnovers by our offense.

I know every team has been piling up injuries but that generally causes problems with more mistakes happening. We saw that from both teams tonight but our depth is much better than the Lions.

Regardless: Adams, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Humes, and Speller MIA before tonight. Several more injured tonight so we'll have to see who is able to play next week.

Obviously Nichols is the biggest worry at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:44:27 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:50:52 AM »

Odd game in many ways. Lost TOP but won total yardage. Only one punt by Medlock. No passes to Harris.

The 2 int's were ugly. Hitting the goal post with a pass and on a FG attempt.

Score flattered the Lions. It made me nervous that we let them back in the game.

We had 1 int, 2 fumble recoveries ( including a blocked punt for a TD ) and 1 turnover on downs as opposed to 3 turnovers by our offense.

I know every team has been piling up injuries but that generally causes problems with more mistakes happening. We saw that from both teams tonight but our depth is much better than the Lions.

Regardless: Adams, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Humes, and Speller MIA before tonight. Several more injured tonight so we'll have to see who is able to play next week.

Obviously Nichols is the biggest worry at the moment.

True Dat! I guess by mid next week we will know who can play and who can not - and going into Edmonton with their tough defense is not going to be easy.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:56:14 AM »

Loved the game.

Strange to see so much passing in the first quarter and then have it totally shut down.

Three phases continue to lead us to wins.

My wife is amazing!
thunderNlightning

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:08:53 AM »

Loved the game.

Strange to see so much passing in the first quarter and then have it totally shut down.

Three phases continue to lead us to wins.

That leaves me scratching my head. Up until Nichols left he finished with 12 attempts passing. Why if it was working so well early on did we totally abandon it.
blue newt

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »

As far as the injuries stacking up, so far I think "next man up" has served us quite well.  A lot of guys have stepped up to the plate without a noticeable increase in missed plays or penalties.  Our defense is hurting, injury-wise, but watching them play tonight, you wouldn't guess it (granted, it was against the Lions O, so it may not be the best gauge to measure anything by).  Hopefully a few guys will be back soon.

I think the biggest injury-pain right now is coming from our O Line (please Neufeld, get better soon!).  I support giving the young guys the chance to prove themselves, but it'd be nice to have a bit more experience in the middle. 

Missing Adams, too.  Lawler has played okay, but doesn't yet have the chemistry with Nichols that Adams has. 

66 Chevelle

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:31 AM »

I think it should be obvious to Lapo and everyone else, that given a more dynamic game plan Nichols is very capable of executing big drives and big scoring plays... why he feels the need to try and get cute at times and then so ultra conservative is beyond me...

totally hated the call in the 2nd quarter to pull Nichols and give Streveler a series... at the point, Nichols was hot and having a good game and we were only up by 7 points... it wasn't the time to pull Nichols out and let him cool off on the side lines in my opinion... wait until we are up 21 or 28 points late in the 3rd or 4th quarter and then give Streveler an actual well thought out game plan to try and execute...

it wasn't always pretty but all 3 phases really shined at times tonight...  and when the O was struggling, special teams and the D stepped up and contributed to swing the momentum back our way and did their part to help secure the win!

great win, great game... 7-2 and still in first and will be in first going into next weeks game against Edmonton... another chance to show our dominance in the West...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
dd

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:24 AM »

I too couldn?t believe the Streveler experiment and I wonder what nichols thinks of the whole episode?? You?re on a bit of a roll, your receiver bobbles one that he should have caught and next series Streveler a in in a tight ball Dane. I still can?t believe the call but then again I can as we be seen so many stupid stunts I ve lost count. Ridiculous
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 05:23:10 AM »

I think it should be obvious to Lapo and everyone else, that given a more dynamic game plan Nichols is very capable of executing big drives and big scoring plays... why he feels the need to try and get cute at times and then so ultra conservative is beyond me...

totally hated the call in the 2nd quarter to pull Nichols and give Streveler a series... at the point, Nichols was hot and having a good game and we were only up by 7 points... it wasn't the time to pull Nichols out and let him cool off on the side lines in my opinion... wait until we are up 21 or 28 points late in the 3rd or 4th quarter and then give Streveler an actual well thought out game plan to try and execute...

it wasn't always pretty but all 3 phases really shined at times tonight...  and when the O was struggling, special teams and the D stepped up and contributed to swing the momentum back our way and did their part to help secure the win!

great win, great game... 7-2 and still in first and will be in first going into next weeks game against Edmonton... another chance to show our dominance in the West...
If our D can rattle Harris early we have a shot with Streveler.....but he didn't look very good today....just wasn't well enough prepared.    Our D and special teams swung the momentum our way and then we were able to turn the ball over on downs.     Nichols made some nice long throws tonight...nice to see CM make a nice catch....

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
blue newt

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 05:27:03 AM »

I feel like there was a reason for the Streveler experiment that we fail to see because we are lacking some insight that the team/coaches have that we do not.  It seemed random and not something the team usually does, so I don't think it was a random, "Hey Nichols, that last ball went the wrong way, we're putting Streveler in".  That seems to go against O'Shea's approach.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »

I feel like there was a reason for the Streveler experiment that we fail to see because we are lacking some insight that the team/coaches have that we do not.  It seemed random and not something the team usually does, so I don't think it was a random, "Hey Nichols, that last ball went the wrong way, we're putting Streveler in".  That seems to go against O'Shea's approach.

Well, tons of posters here and callers to the CJOB shows moan that we don't see enough Strev, put in more Strev, put in Strev when we're up in the 4th, etc.  Maybe the coaches finally gave into the pressure?

Or maybe Nichols was a bit hurt on an earlier sack and they wanted to be cautious if they thought they could get away with Strev in the 4th?  Nichols was walking a touch wonky after one of the early sacks.

So Strev comes in and (doesn't) hands it the wrong way to Harris, then throws a really dumb ball that Matty would have never thrown for a tip INT.  Everyone complains about the Nichols sacks and throwaways... that right there is what happens when you don't know when to hold 'em.  Strev is still learning.  Those D's are good and out for blood.  Even BC's.  Matty just made it look easy.  It's not.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »

Here's an interesting thought: as I'm watching the game on TSN I'm comparing in my mind with our last 3 games, and noticing what it is, perhaps, that BC lacks.  And I think it's all in the O play-calling.  For instance when Hall vacates the middle for a blitz or some deep drop, CGY and TOR would always have the short route in the middle and kill us for leaving it open.  But BC never (from what I saw) did the same.  We'd bring LBs and our safety, but it was never taken advantage of, even when MR had enough time.

I seriously think that half BC's problem is J.Jackson, and they need to get a new OC before things improve.  Even the 3 IMP OL isn't enough to mask the fundamental problem.  And they never stick to the run!  It's like: "here's our run lip-service, we'll pretend we're a run O, and even though it opens things up for us, we'll quit the run and revert to our true nature", even before beatdown time!  Thar's yar prablem!!
jammer316

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »

Now its time for Streveler to step up.He has been here long enough time to show what you have.
rubanski

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »

I too couldn?t believe the Streveler experiment and I wonder what nichols thinks of the whole episode?? You?re on a bit of a roll, your receiver bobbles one that he should have caught and next series Streveler a in in a tight ball Dane. I still can?t believe the call but then again I can as we be seen so many stupid stunts I ve lost count. Ridiculous

Strev going in was definitely planned in advance. It's tendency breaking play calling. They planned, in advance, "hey we're going to use Strev for 1 series in the 2nd quarter".

Something else I noticed was the effort to get Nichols a rushing TD. They ran that play action keeper where he was tackled for no gain (1st quarter?), then later on we're on the 1 yard line. What always happens there:
A- Strev comes in
B- Nichols hands it to Harris or passes.

Great game planning forcing opponents to defend every inch of the field, and making us less predictable.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: