Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 09:05:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: After The Game: Bombers & Lions 8/15/2019  (Read 3086 times)
66 Chevelle

« on: August 16, 2019, 02:15:38 AM »

first, congratulations to Andrew Harris on his impressive, record setting night!

Not sure how I feel about this win... I was hopeful early to say that all 3 phases played great tonight and earned a impressive win... but... The O definitely struggled at times tonight... early Nichols looked great, with big, impressive long throws... team looked good, but, the turn overs have to be concerning...

it will be interesting to hear everyone's opinion on this Bomber performance and we will see if the stats back up what we saw... but only 41 yards total offense before starting our last drive in the second half and only 64 total has to be concerning, even with the short field position we had at times... and 6 turn overs by the O and a -3 turn over ratio for the night doesn't look good...

I'll be updating with stats and graphs a bit later...

so, what does everybody think?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 02:20:23 AM »

Two big plays by Jefferson and then Sayles with his blocked punt TD were huge momentum swings and the Lions were suddenly out of it.   Happy for Harris who is one of the best running backs ever for the Bombers.....also worried about losing Nichols but if it's serious this is Streveler's chance to show us what he has!   

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 02:35:54 AM »

Odd game in many ways. Lost TOP but won total yardage. Only one punt by Medlock. No passes to Harris.

The 2 int's were ugly. Hitting the goal post with a pass and on a FG attempt.

Score flattered the Lions. It made me nervous that we let them back in the game.

We had 1 int, 2 fumble recoveries ( including a blocked punt for a TD ) and 1 turnover on downs as opposed to 3 turnovers by our offense.

I know every team has been piling up injuries but that generally causes problems with more mistakes happening. We saw that from both teams tonight but our depth is much better than the Lions.

Regardless: Adams, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Humes, and Speller MIA before tonight. Several more injured tonight so we'll have to see who is able to play next week.

Obviously Nichols is the biggest worry at the moment.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 02:44:27 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 02:50:52 AM »

Odd game in many ways. Lost TOP but won total yardage. Only one punt by Medlock. No passes to Harris.

The 2 int's were ugly. Hitting the goal post with a pass and on a FG attempt.

Score flattered the Lions. It made me nervous that we let them back in the game.

We had 1 int, 2 fumble recoveries ( including a blocked punt for a TD ) and 1 turnover on downs as opposed to 3 turnovers by our offense.

I know every team has been piling up injuries but that generally causes problems with more mistakes happening. We saw that from both teams tonight but our depth is much better than the Lions.

Regardless: Adams, Jeffcoat, Alexander, Humes, and Speller MIA before tonight. Several more injured tonight so we'll have to see who is able to play next week.

Obviously Nichols is the biggest worry at the moment.

True Dat! I guess by mid next week we will know who can play and who can not - and going into Edmonton with their tough defense is not going to be easy.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:56:14 AM »

Loved the game.

Strange to see so much passing in the first quarter and then have it totally shut down.

Three phases continue to lead us to wins.

My wife is amazing!
thunderNlightning

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 03:08:53 AM »

Loved the game.

Strange to see so much passing in the first quarter and then have it totally shut down.

Three phases continue to lead us to wins.

That leaves me scratching my head. Up until Nichols left he finished with 12 attempts passing. Why if it was working so well early on did we totally abandon it.
blue newt

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 03:42:26 AM »

As far as the injuries stacking up, so far I think "next man up" has served us quite well.  A lot of guys have stepped up to the plate without a noticeable increase in missed plays or penalties.  Our defense is hurting, injury-wise, but watching them play tonight, you wouldn't guess it (granted, it was against the Lions O, so it may not be the best gauge to measure anything by).  Hopefully a few guys will be back soon.

I think the biggest injury-pain right now is coming from our O Line (please Neufeld, get better soon!).  I support giving the young guys the chance to prove themselves, but it'd be nice to have a bit more experience in the middle. 

Missing Adams, too.  Lawler has played okay, but doesn't yet have the chemistry with Nichols that Adams has. 

66 Chevelle

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:31 AM »

I think it should be obvious to Lapo and everyone else, that given a more dynamic game plan Nichols is very capable of executing big drives and big scoring plays... why he feels the need to try and get cute at times and then so ultra conservative is beyond me...

totally hated the call in the 2nd quarter to pull Nichols and give Streveler a series... at the point, Nichols was hot and having a good game and we were only up by 7 points... it wasn't the time to pull Nichols out and let him cool off on the side lines in my opinion... wait until we are up 21 or 28 points late in the 3rd or 4th quarter and then give Streveler an actual well thought out game plan to try and execute...

it wasn't always pretty but all 3 phases really shined at times tonight...  and when the O was struggling, special teams and the D stepped up and contributed to swing the momentum back our way and did their part to help secure the win!

great win, great game... 7-2 and still in first and will be in first going into next weeks game against Edmonton... another chance to show our dominance in the West...

dd

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 05:07:24 AM »

I too couldn?t believe the Streveler experiment and I wonder what nichols thinks of the whole episode?? You?re on a bit of a roll, your receiver bobbles one that he should have caught and next series Streveler a in in a tight ball Dane. I still can?t believe the call but then again I can as we be seen so many stupid stunts I ve lost count. Ridiculous
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 05:23:10 AM »

I think it should be obvious to Lapo and everyone else, that given a more dynamic game plan Nichols is very capable of executing big drives and big scoring plays... why he feels the need to try and get cute at times and then so ultra conservative is beyond me...

totally hated the call in the 2nd quarter to pull Nichols and give Streveler a series... at the point, Nichols was hot and having a good game and we were only up by 7 points... it wasn't the time to pull Nichols out and let him cool off on the side lines in my opinion... wait until we are up 21 or 28 points late in the 3rd or 4th quarter and then give Streveler an actual well thought out game plan to try and execute...

it wasn't always pretty but all 3 phases really shined at times tonight...  and when the O was struggling, special teams and the D stepped up and contributed to swing the momentum back our way and did their part to help secure the win!

great win, great game... 7-2 and still in first and will be in first going into next weeks game against Edmonton... another chance to show our dominance in the West...
If our D can rattle Harris early we have a shot with Streveler.....but he didn't look very good today....just wasn't well enough prepared.    Our D and special teams swung the momentum our way and then we were able to turn the ball over on downs.     Nichols made some nice long throws tonight...nice to see CM make a nice catch....

blue newt

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 05:27:03 AM »

I feel like there was a reason for the Streveler experiment that we fail to see because we are lacking some insight that the team/coaches have that we do not.  It seemed random and not something the team usually does, so I don't think it was a random, "Hey Nichols, that last ball went the wrong way, we're putting Streveler in".  That seems to go against O'Shea's approach.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 06:00:07 AM »

I feel like there was a reason for the Streveler experiment that we fail to see because we are lacking some insight that the team/coaches have that we do not.  It seemed random and not something the team usually does, so I don't think it was a random, "Hey Nichols, that last ball went the wrong way, we're putting Streveler in".  That seems to go against O'Shea's approach.

Well, tons of posters here and callers to the CJOB shows moan that we don't see enough Strev, put in more Strev, put in Strev when we're up in the 4th, etc.  Maybe the coaches finally gave into the pressure?

Or maybe Nichols was a bit hurt on an earlier sack and they wanted to be cautious if they thought they could get away with Strev in the 4th?  Nichols was walking a touch wonky after one of the early sacks.

So Strev comes in and (doesn't) hands it the wrong way to Harris, then throws a really dumb ball that Matty would have never thrown for a tip INT.  Everyone complains about the Nichols sacks and throwaways... that right there is what happens when you don't know when to hold 'em.  Strev is still learning.  Those D's are good and out for blood.  Even BC's.  Matty just made it look easy.  It's not.

Never go full Rider!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 10:26:55 AM »

Here's an interesting thought: as I'm watching the game on TSN I'm comparing in my mind with our last 3 games, and noticing what it is, perhaps, that BC lacks.  And I think it's all in the O play-calling.  For instance when Hall vacates the middle for a blitz or some deep drop, CGY and TOR would always have the short route in the middle and kill us for leaving it open.  But BC never (from what I saw) did the same.  We'd bring LBs and our safety, but it was never taken advantage of, even when MR had enough time.

I seriously think that half BC's problem is J.Jackson, and they need to get a new OC before things improve.  Even the 3 IMP OL isn't enough to mask the fundamental problem.  And they never stick to the run!  It's like: "here's our run lip-service, we'll pretend we're a run O, and even though it opens things up for us, we'll quit the run and revert to our true nature", even before beatdown time!  Thar's yar prablem!!

Never go full Rider!
jammer316

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:26:59 PM »

Now its time for Streveler to step up.He has been here long enough time to show what you have.
rubanski

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 12:29:29 PM »

I too couldn?t believe the Streveler experiment and I wonder what nichols thinks of the whole episode?? You?re on a bit of a roll, your receiver bobbles one that he should have caught and next series Streveler a in in a tight ball Dane. I still can?t believe the call but then again I can as we be seen so many stupid stunts I ve lost count. Ridiculous

Strev going in was definitely planned in advance. It's tendency breaking play calling. They planned, in advance, "hey we're going to use Strev for 1 series in the 2nd quarter".

Something else I noticed was the effort to get Nichols a rushing TD. They ran that play action keeper where he was tackled for no gain (1st quarter?), then later on we're on the 1 yard line. What always happens there:
A- Strev comes in
B- Nichols hands it to Harris or passes.

Great game planning forcing opponents to defend every inch of the field, and making us less predictable.
bowlerdude

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 12:47:47 PM »

I mean, there have been times where Nichols was struggling to move the ball at all that I would've liked to see Streveler go in for a series and see what happens. Last night was not one of those times... I assume that it was scripted to give Streveler a series somewhere, because it was the best quarter Nichols had played all year. Unfortunately it didn't go very well and killed some momentum.

The timing was not there on most of those plays, and I think trying to judge Streveler's readiness to take over our actual offense based on the lack of success of a package of plays that, if we're being honest, is largely gimmick plays and not at all an actual CFL offense, is kind of silly.

Even if the pick was a ball he shouldn't have thrown (which I'm not convinced it was but I've only seen the play live), it was a play where the timing was a little messy, he bought some time, realized nothing was there and made a quick decision to get rid of the ball. Frankly none of that is bad, it's what you want your QB to do. Give him some time to practice with the actual offense and he'll be just fine.

Nichols injury aside, a solid game. If our defense isn't best in the CFL they're very close and they made things miserable for Reilly. Besides a 56-yard trick play, BC had 161 yards of total offense despite winning TOP. 3.03 yards per play if you take the trick play out, 4.1 yards per play even if you include it... and of course, held to 16 points. Lots of pressure, lots of forced fumbles, lots of big hits. Was cool to see Thiadric Hansen get some playing time, played some defensive end and did pretty well!

Special teams are the best in the CFL. BC had two very short kickoffs and a punt out of bounds - field position gains that don't show up in Janarion Grant's stats, but that he obviously had a lot to do with. Then they give us two massive plays once BC took a 13-12 lead that completely flipped the game.
DM83

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:43:52 PM »

BC should be. Better than they are.
Great comment on why BC didn't recognize Blitz!

Just throw a quick look in.

Or screens....the OC should be canned. Same as their H Coach. 
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »

BC should be. Better than they are.
Great comment on why BC didn't recognize Blitz!

Just throw a quick look in.

Or screens....the OC should be canned. Same as their H Coach. 

Can't help but agree with your comments. BC has some talent and the OL is not as bad as one would think - it is just the game schemes they run. They have a great QB and a good RB. Defensive line is not all that bad. But I have my doubts as to their HC - he was a great DC in Calgary but not really HC material from what I can see todate.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »

BC is a joke of a team...we have seen this type of team here before - they can nothing right cause it starts at the top and makes its way through every aspect - management, coaches and players.  No easy fix except starting over
TBURGESS

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 02:09:23 PM »

BC's a bad team. The score kinda flattered them.

Nichols was on fire in the first quarter, then cooled off.

We got unlucky with a pass off the upright and a FG off the upright too.

The blocked punt for a TD, the returned punt inside the 20 turned the game back in our favour after BC managed to get back in it.

The defence had another great day. Sacked Reilly 7 times, forced 3 Reilly fumbles and Jefferson's pick set us up for another score. Got us the ball back right after Nichols fumble too.

Honestly my only worry is about Nichols health after that game.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »

I did a drive summary chart for last nights game...

kkc60

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:16 PM »

What's up with Wolitarsky? Two bad games in a row. Hes young but these recent struggles in a contract year is tougn
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »

What's up with Wolitarsky? Two bad games in a row. Hes young but these recent struggles in a contract year is tougn

yah...he may do better with Strev in there but if we din't have this QB issue I would maybe think about more of Peterman and less of Woli...for now we will see  if the darn roommate connection can be established again.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 02:32:35 PM »

yah...he may do better with Strev in there but if we din't have this QB issue I would maybe think about more of Peterman and less of Woli...for now we will see  if the darn roommate connection can be established again.
The bobbled pas for a pick was slightly off target but still catchable....the bobble in the end zone was just some bad luck.....I think he's still a good receiver having a few struggles.

kkc60

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 02:42:40 PM »

The bobbled pas for a pick was slightly off target but still catchable....the bobble in the end zone was just some bad luck.....I think he's still a good receiver having a few struggles.
No one is saying he isn't good. Just 1 for 9 and a costly bobble last night plus the bobble last week. Hopefully he gets back to being the reliable, unspectacular receiver he id
CrazyCanuck89

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 02:46:38 PM »

Good to see the Bomber's 2019 draft picks get playing time.

Desjarlais @ LG
Kongbo coming in for Roh
Eli coming in on jumbo packages
Exume and Hamlett out there on special teams
Even your Global draft pick Hallett made plays
TBURGESS

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »

Woli's bobbled pass for the pick, last night was mostly on him. Nichols didn't throw a great pass, but Woli should have caught it anyway.

I don't think Woli had a bad game last week tho.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
bowlerdude

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 03:27:16 PM »

it's one bad game in a row, he wasn't bad the week before

last night's mistake was bad though, even if the pass was bad, there was nobody within 5 yards of him when Nichols threw the ball... it was a very safe and very catchable pass and he just kinda bobbled it up in the air right to a defender, that's all on him

I'm sure he'll be back to normal next week, especially if Streveler's playing
kkc60

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 03:31:09 PM »

it's one bad game in a row, he wasn't bad the week before

last night's mistake was bad though, even if the pass was bad, there was nobody within 5 yards of him when Nichols threw the ball... it was a very safe and very catchable pass and he just kinda bobbled it up in the air right to a defender, that's all on him

I'm sure he'll be back to normal next week, especially if Streveler's playing
He wasn't bad I suppose just quiet. He has 2 catches for 22 yards the past 2 games
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 03:44:09 PM »

The entire Bomber receiving corp needs to be better especially if Nichols isn't 100%.
DM83

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 04:08:12 PM »

Wolitarski isn't a problem.  Lousy pass by Nichols to him when he was blanketed. That's one thing I hate about Nichols, he doesn't throw passes that are easily catchable.  He threw the TD to Demski , who got creamed.

Receivers though,  are paid to catch the ball.  Professionals are expected to make the touch catch.  Not sure we have too many who do that.  Bring back JFG!

The Bombers stil need someone to replace Adams.

I still think the best receiver is Lawler. They sure don't use him very well.
Matthews looks like his best years are behind him.
Carter for BC is stealing money.  Any Bison, or Rifle receiver is better than that loafing grinning idiot.  Work is a four letter word to that clown.  Same with Odell, did he even play?  Done

Our D-Line. Had fun last night. Why Reilly wouldn't.play a Matt Nichols type game and throw check downs is beyond me.

Oh well, I bet more turnovers in personal for BC is coming soon.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 04:10:14 PM by DM83 » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »

how about that play by Whitehead to pick up the first down after the penalty by Desjarlais That was some pro level running and determination - no quit in that guy at all

Janarion Grant - BC tried to avoid kicking to him and he just torched them - not only is he fast he can read the field and use his blocks - that is the talent many returners don't have

Reilly was so lucky to be able to recover his two fumbles - the D was feasting last night

If Nichols hadn't got hurt this would have been a much more fun evening given how the team played - I think it was actually good that BC came back and took the lead, forced the Bombers to react and go after the win.
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 04:24:54 PM »

Wolitarski isn't a problem.  Lousy pass by Nichols to him when he was blanketed. That's one thing I hate about Nichols, he doesn't throw passes that are easily catchable.  He threw the TD to Demski , who got creamed.

Receivers though,  are paid to catch the ball.  Professionals are expected to make the touch catch.  Not sure we have too many who do that.  Bring back JFG!

The Bombers stil need someone to replace Adams.

I still think the best receiver is Lawler. They sure don't use him very well.
Matthews looks like his best years are behind him.
Carter for BC is stealing money.  Any Bison, or Rifle receiver is better than that loafing grinning idiot.  Work is a four letter word to that clown.  Same with Odell, did he even play?  Done

Our D-Line. Had fun last night. Why Reilly wouldn't.play a Matt Nichols type game and throw check downs is beyond me.

Oh well, I bet more turnovers in personal for BC is coming soon.

I call BS on this post.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »

here is some YTD possession info...  this came up in another thread and thought it deserved checking out... so, here it is...

BigBlueCrew

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 07:41:12 PM »

Good to see the Bomber's 2019 draft picks get playing time.

Desjarlais @ LG
Kongbo coming in for Roh
Eli coming in on jumbo packages
Exume and Hamlett out there on special teams
Even your Global draft pick Hallett made plays

LMAO! Hallett is the special teamer, not Hamlett. The global player his Hansen. I was pleasantly surprised at his performance on D lastnight. Meanwhile I sure saw BC's global player catch a tonne of passes from Rielly on the sidelines last night.
theaardvark

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 08:36:45 PM »

Eli getting on the field is something I've been looking forward to.  Here's hoping we don't need him to start, but that he beats someone out...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 10:02:34 PM »

My thoughts on last night.
I'm glad that they won the game but unfortunately it's overshadowed by the injury to Nichols. Hopefully with a full week of working with the first team offence will improve Streveler's game. Also lost is the injuries to Roh and Maston. Hopefully they're not out too long as we don't have much depth at these positions.

Now the good news- Congratulations to Andrew Harris on becoming the all time Canadian in yards from scrimmage. His emotional reaction was priceless. Also loved the INT by Jefferson and the blocked punt by Sayles. IMO defence and special teams are going to have to come up big while Nichols is out.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2019, 09:07:44 AM »

Something else I noticed was the effort to get Nichols a rushing TD. They ran that play action keeper where he was tackled for no gain (1st quarter?), then later on we're on the 1 yard line. What always happens there:
A- Strev comes in
B- Nichols hands it to Harris or passes.

The Nichols rushing TD was a function of going tempo O.  BC had their pass D package on the field and by going tempo we got to keep their hoggies off the goal line.  That's why Nichols just hurried it up and took it in himself from the 1.  You could even see (on TV) Nichols yelling to the ref that they were going tempo right after the previous play was completed.

Very smart play by the coaches.

Never go full Rider!
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2019, 03:48:10 PM »

The Nichols rushing TD was a function of going tempo O.  BC had their pass D package on the field and by going tempo we got to keep their hoggies off the goal line.  That's why Nichols just hurried it up and took it in himself from the 1.  You could even see (on TV) Nichols yelling to the ref that they were going tempo right after the previous play was completed.

Very smart play by the coaches.

Yes....good call on that....noticed him waving his teammates to get into their hurry-up alignment!

DM83

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2019, 04:17:25 PM »

Blue in BC
Thank you for such enlightening comments.
I am impressed by your eloquence and thorough revealing of your supreme thoughts.
I would ask what it is you disagree with? If that's what you are saying is BS.?  But then, ...I would have to care about your in depth thoughts

It's my opinion, and. I have a right to it.
But Mods Blue in BC has issued a command.  Perhaps something should be done about his command.
Blue In BC

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2019, 04:32:59 PM »

Blue in BC
Thank you for such enlightening comments.
I am impressed by your eloquence and thorough revealing of your supreme thoughts.
I would ask what it is you disagree with? If that's what you are saying is BS.?  But then, ...I would have to care about your in depth thoughts

It's my opinion, and. I have a right to it.
But Mods Blue in BC has issued a command.  Perhaps something should be done about his command.

It seemed obvious to me and I suspect many of the posters. Simply put the comments were all out to lunch. It didn't really need an explanation but you asked so here it is for your reading pleasure.

If you don't care then why did you need to respond? If you have a " right " to your opinion, then so do I. Needing to make a detailed elaboration? Not so much.

It wasn't a lousy pass and your comment that he doesn't throw passes that are easily catchable. It may not have been the best pass but lousy is certainly an over reaction. Complaining about Nichols who led the league in QAR, most TD passes and completed this game with an 83.3% completion.  Your disdain for Nichols is apparent.

BTW. After watching the CFL for 62 years I didn't realize QB's were only supposed to throw passes right between the receivers numbers and never anywhere near where they might actually get hit by a defender.

Thinking Lawler is their best receiver. Thinking Matthews best days are behind him. While that may be partially true about Matthews it's true for any player as they get older. It was your need to diss him as well. Did you even watch the Calgary BC game where he drew 2 DPI's early in the game. Did you even see the on target ( easily catchable ) pass he caught for 51 yards?

The idea that we still need someone to replace Adams.

The idea that you think we should bring back JFG. That's laughable.

Are you actually watching the Bombers? Do you enjoy watching the Bombers?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 05:17:00 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: