Blue Bombers Forum
June 05, 2020, 02:07:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Harris and the Team  (Read 7098 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2019, 05:06:22 PM »

Not sure i agree - the sample size is just too small! I am not convinced that MN has the ability to go deep with any accuracy.
your vision maybe impaired yes got it.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2019, 05:13:16 PM »

your vision maybe impaired yes got it.

Nope still 20-20 but I do not wear any blue tinted glasses - matter of fact I do not wear glasses at all! Sorry but on this one we will just have to agree to disagree. I respect your opinion as I respect others - just do not see any need to agree with them.
TBURGESS

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2019, 06:02:37 PM »

For some the win is all that matters and it means that everyone was playing well and people should lay off all criticism. Others like to look at the whole picture. They like to see if individuals played well or badly, win or not.

Nichols didn't play poorly this week. He just didn't take any chances. That got us FG's and no TD's. Did it get us the win? Sure, but it wasn't the offence that got it.

The special teams won the game for us by getting 2 TD's, stopping their return game and kicking all the FG's they could including a 55 yarder. They played great.

The goalpost chipped in with a great defensive play. Not much mobility, but incredible reach.

Checkdowns don't always work. Last years WF is a good example. Tons of checkdowns + not much YAC = 2 and outs.

Harris is most of our offence. Our leading receiver and leading rusher. If he goes down for any length of time or wears down during the season, we are in trouble. It's as simple as that.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2019, 07:35:25 PM »

For some the win is all that matters and it means that everyone was playing well and people should lay off all criticism. Others like to look at the whole picture. They like to see if individuals played well or badly, win or not.

Nichols didn't play poorly this week. He just didn't take any chances. That got us FG's and no TD's. Did it get us the win? Sure, but it wasn't the offence that got it.

The special teams won the game for us by getting 2 TD's, stopping their return game and kicking all the FG's they could including a 55 yarder. They played great.

The goalpost chipped in with a great defensive play. Not much mobility, but incredible reach.

Checkdowns don't always work. Last years WF is a good example. Tons of checkdowns + not much YAC = 2 and outs.

Harris is most of our offence. Our leading receiver and leading rusher. If he goes down for any length of time or wears down during the season, we are in trouble. It's as simple as that.

Could not have said it any better.
swansong

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »

Whenever criticism is levelled against any faction of the team the pom-pom wavers behave as though it's them that are being criticized. Why do they seem to take it so personally?

Hall says the D made 43 mistakes in the TO game...MOS right after the Calgary game said the team made a lot of mistakes that need to be cleaned up. No one whines about them being critical...but god forbid anyone else dares to share concerns and some people act as though it's a personal attack on them.

If you have no concerns...fine...be happy...but piling on those that have a different perspective, imo, actually shows a fragility that likely wouldn't exist if maybe, just maybe, a part of you wasn't also concerned.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 08:01:47 PM »

Whenever criticism is levelled against any faction of the team the pom-pom wavers behave as though it's them that are being criticized. Why do they seem to take it so personally?

Hall says the D made 43 mistakes in the TO game...MOS right after the Calgary game said the team made a lot of mistakes that need to be cleaned up. No one whines about them being critical...but god forbid anyone else dares to share concerns and some people act as though it's a personal attack on them.

If you have no concerns...fine...be happy...but piling on those that have a different perspective, imo, actually shows a fragility that likely wouldn't exist if maybe, just maybe, a part of you wasn't also concerned.

That was an interesting comment by Hall. I suppose there could be more than 1 mistake on any given play. A mistake might include missed tackles, blown coverage, penalties and other things.

Not every mistake results means something successful happens for the opponent.

I wonder how 43 relates to mistakes in other games when he critiques them on average.

Mistakes happen all the time even when you win. Often it comes down to the other team making more. Usually penalties are the big difference maker extending drives.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 08:40:32 PM »

Sort of getting tired of hearing all the negativity about checkdowns with Andrew Harris.  At this point, Andrew Harris, checkdowns included, is a huge asset and is very much a part of the fact the Bombers are the #1 team in league right now.

Say what your want about it, the fact is, it's working.  And Harris is #1 in receptions and has 322 yard passing so far coupled with his #1 ranking rushing with 746 years.  He is headed for a very good year based on the current trend.

Bombers have other assets that contribute to our #1 standing including the play of special teams and a pretty solid defence.

Willie Jefferson is #1 in forced fumbles and Winston Rose is #1 in interceptions.

We are first in the league in points for and third in league in points against.

Matt Nichols in #1 in passing TDs and #3 in passing yards gained.  He is #2 in QB efficiency for all starting QBs.

There are areas to improve but the amount of angst about the team is overboard IMO.  We just beat the next best team in the league because we stopped them when it counted the most.  Slow down an breathe.
Thank you. I'm not surprised that there's so much bashing of Nichols around here. There are a few fans around here who won't accept him until we win a Grey Cup. IMO the only playoff game that he can be blamed for is last years WF. As for the people that want to rest Harris during the game I bet that would go down real well with him. He wants to get the ball and lead the team.
swansong

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2019, 09:05:42 PM »

Mistakes happen all the time even when you win.

No doubt...but the team doesn't ignore them (or poor player performances) simply because they won.

I'm no huge fan of Nichols but it's clear Lapo is drawing up game plans that play into his strengths...and as long as we keep winning, regardless how iffy some of those wins may seem to me or others, I say stick with him. But that doesn't mean we can't point out any flaws in game planning. execution or mentality we happen to observe.

You, me and everyone else on this board knows instinctively that regardless how dominant a win any team happens to achieve the coaching staff is still going to point out each and every mental/physical mistake they saw and try to make sure they don't happen again. That's how championship teams become championship teams...we all know this. Does it make the staff petty downers? Of course not.

The moment a team (or fans) decide good enough is good enough is the day they assure their place on the dung heap of sports history.

Frankly I don't see posters on here being universally negative about the team. I see posters pointing out areas of concern while also appreciating the positive contributions of various aspects of the team and players.

If the admins or various posters want nothing but positive comments then start a positivity thread where only positive comments are allowed. Those with opposing opinions won't mind in the least...nor will they take it personally.

Football is a complicated game. There will always be diverse opinions as to why things go right or wrong. That's reality. The moment we start shaming people for having an opinion (negative) that differs from our own (positive) is the moment we may as well just label the entire forum as a positivity safe space and ban those who would dare to dissent.

Ironically that would also be the day the forum would have to fold up it's tent and pack it in.

All that being said...

Let's kick some BC butt!

GO BOMBERS!!!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 02:06:14 AM by swansong » Logged
RebusRankin

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2019, 09:08:20 PM »

Thank you. I'm not surprised that there's so much bashing of Nichols around here. There are a few fans around here who won't accept him until we win a Grey Cup. IMO the only playoff game that he can be blamed for is last years WF. As for the people that want to rest Harris during the game I bet that would go down real well with him. He wants to get the ball and lead the team.

Actually Matt Nichols numbers were mainly picked up in garbage time in the 2017 WSF loss to Edmonton. We were down 3 touchdowns early in the 4th and then rallied to make the score look closer than the game was. In other words he Kerwin Belled it. 2016 he played well and I'd blame the D. Not great in either playoff game last year. Harris carried us to the win over Saskatchewan, although given their putrid offense, a conservative, don't turn it over, lean on the RB was likely Lapo's plan.
swansong

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2019, 09:24:32 PM »

I'm not surprised that there's so much bashing of Nichols around here. There are a few fans around here who won't accept him until we win a Grey Cup.

While that may be true...the majority of those with concerns will "accept" him when he begins to show signs of the ability and mental toughness that gave us a 4th quarter come-from-behind victory like the one we had against Montreal a couple of years ago. They want to feel confident that when the game is on the line and we need to score...or even just generate a couple of first downs... he's the guy to get the job done.

Many people have lost that confidence over the last year and a half.

Be honest...how confident were you the other night, with the game on the line...that Matt would generate the first downs needed to kill off the clock and seal the win? Many of us were not at all confident and he proved our concerns valid...again. Were it not for a timely interception we would have lost 2 in a row to a last second field goal because the team leader couldn't get the job done.

Every individual is free to ignore that if they wish. No judgement. But to shame those that would prefer to not ignore it is hardly fair.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2019, 09:27:15 PM by swansong » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2019, 09:32:37 PM »

Actually Matt Nichols numbers were mainly picked up in garbage time in the 2017 WSF loss to Edmonton. We were down 3 touchdowns early in the 4th and then rallied to make the score look closer than the game was. In other words he Kerwin Belled it. 2016 he played well and I'd blame the D. Not great in either playoff game last year. Harris carried us to the win over Saskatchewan, although given their putrid offense, a conservative, don't turn it over, lean on the RB was likely Lapo's plan.
Actually in 2017 I felt that the game changer was the unsuccessful fake punt that lead to an Edmonton TD. I still get visions of C.J. Gable dragging 11 Bomber defenders into the endzone. IMO just like in any game no one player wins or loses the game and coaching decisions can also be a factor.
blue girl

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 09:37:18 PM »

While that may be true...the majority of those with concerns will "accept" him when he begins to show signs of the ability and mental toughness that gave us a 4th quarter come-from-behind victory like the one we had against Montreal a couple of years ago. They want to feel confident that when the game is on the line and we need to score...or even just generate a couple of first downs... he's the guy to get the job done.

Many people have lost that confidence over the last year and a half.

Be honest...how confident were you the other night, with the game on the line...that Matt would generate the first downs needed to kill off the clock and seal the win? Many of us were not at all confident and he proved our concerns valid...again. Were it not for a timely interception we would have lost 2 in a row to a last second field goal because the team leader couldn't get the job done.

Every individual is free to ignore that if they wish. No judgement. But to shame those that would prefer to not ignore it is hardly fair.
IMO it doesn't matter what the fans believe but what his teammates believe. Of course I was concerned at the end of the game but I would be like that no matter who the QB  is.
swansong

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 10:03:39 PM »

IMO it doesn't matter what the fans believe

Then why do you and others seem so fixated on their opinions?

Frankly I find this attitude baffling. Who fills the seats on game day? Who buys the merchandise?

There's more to a successful team than just winning the trophy. It's about putting a team on the field that generates confidence that translates into butts in the seats and merchandise and concession sales over the course of an entire season. It's like a network exec saying "I don't care if people don't like/watch our tv show so long as they tune in for the season finale."

I've see a similar attitude expressed time and again on here. "Oh who cares if we played poorly? This game doesn't matter. All that matters is making it to the playoffs (which 6 teams will do in a 9 team league. It's not that difficult) and winning the cup". That is so shortsighted it is, as I said, baffling and I guarantee you the head office doesn't think that way.
blue girl

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 10:11:21 PM »

I'm sorry that it seems otherwise but I really don't care. People are entitled to whatever they want to say. What does bother me is the few people on here (that I can probably count on one hand) that constantly dump on one player. But as are they I am also entitled to an opinion.
swansong

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 10:30:49 PM »

But as are they I am also entitled to an opinion.

I don't see anyone starting threads/making comments chiding you/others for your positive opinions....or suggesting you should keep them to yourself.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: