Blue Bombers Forum
May 25, 2020, 08:44:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Andrew Harris and the Team  (Read 6927 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2019, 09:50:28 AM »

We all know what will happen when we finally win the cup. Rather than everyone enjoying it, the so called positive folks will say they knew it was going to happen all along and everyone who didn't believe was wrong.

As one of the "positive folks" who fully expects us to get to the GC this year, I promise I won't say I told you so if we win!  (In fact, my desired goal this year is making it to the cup, winning would just be gravy.)  However, if Matt Nichols is the QB on field when we do win the cup, I am going to be hard on every single person who has explicitly stated "Nichols will never win us a big game or cup".

No one ever states "our Bombers will never win us a cup", but plenty have said we can't win with Nichols.  I can't wait for the WDF this year when Nichols takes us to the cup!!  Can't win the big game, indeed!  Pshaw.

Literally everyone thinks they are realists.

Oh no.  Not me.  I readily admit I am definitely an optimist when it comes to the Bombers.  Even if our team is only so-so (say 2017), there's always a 1 in 9 chance we simply luck our way into a cup.  Much like OTT and TOR have done recently.  All it takes is 2 or 3 games to go your lucky way, and boom!

In fact, if you were to make the GC win random chance, with each team having 1/9 chance of winning (yes, not reality), the chance of not winning for 6 years in a row is 49%.  10 years 30%.  20 years 9%.  29 years 3.3%.  So we literally have to suck major donkey cahones to not win for 29 years and/or have horrific luck.  I think what happened is the years we were decent and got decently far in the playoffs, we got hit with horrible luck in the finals or GC.

What we need is one of the years where we are good to great (this year), and hit the luck jackpot (like TOR and OTT recently).  One of these years, odds say, luck must go our way.  It simply cannot abandon from us forever.  Heck, even the Cubs won the WS!

I say this is the year we end up both great, and lucky.  We end up at the GC.  And with a little of that GC luck, we win!  We literally cannot go 100 years without a GC (0.00077% with random chance).

Never go full Rider!
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2019, 10:26:27 AM »

As one of the "positive folks" who fully expects us to get to the GC this year, I promise I won't say I told you so if we win!  (In fact, my desired goal this year is making it to the cup, winning would just be gravy.)  However, if Matt Nichols is the QB on field when we do win the cup, I am going to be hard on every single person who has explicitly stated "Nichols will never win us a big game or cup".

No one ever states "our Bombers will never win us a cup", but plenty have said we can't win with Nichols.  I can't wait for the WDF this year when Nichols takes us to the cup!!  Can't win the big game, indeed!  Pshaw.

Oh no.  Not me.  I readily admit I am definitely an optimist when it comes to the Bombers.  Even if our team is only so-so (say 2017), there's always a 1 in 9 chance we simply luck our way into a cup.  Much like OTT and TOR have done recently.  All it takes is 2 or 3 games to go your lucky way, and boom!

In fact, if you were to make the GC win random chance, with each team having 1/9 chance of winning (yes, not reality), the chance of not winning for 6 years in a row is 49%.  10 years 30%.  20 years 9%.  29 years 3.3%.  So we literally have to suck major donkey cahones to not win for 29 years and/or have horrific luck.  I think what happened is the years we were decent and got decently far in the playoffs, we got hit with horrible luck in the finals or GC.

What we need is one of the years where we are good to great (this year), and hit the luck jackpot (like TOR and OTT recently).  One of these years, odds say, luck must go our way.  It simply cannot abandon from us forever.  Heck, even the Cubs won the WS!

I say this is the year we end up both great, and lucky.  We end up at the GC.  And with a little of that GC luck, we win!  We literally cannot go 100 years without a GC (0.00077% with random chance).

Agree.  I hope we get a cup soon so this team and its most often criticized parts gets their due.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
DM83

« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2019, 10:59:06 AM »

Where did this burger thing come from?  Maybe a ha! Ha! Idea from the 80's. But certainly some idiot will try and eat the entire thing themselves???  As Has been said a walking heart attack.....this is a poooor promotion.
Norlorne Dr.
« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2019, 11:50:53 AM »

Just a little fact to put things in perspective about how starving we are for a Cup:

Years since last Grey Cup:

Calgary - 1
Toronto - 2
Ottawa - 3
Edmonton - 4
Saskatchewan - 6
BC - 8
Montreal - 9
Hamilton - 20
WINNIPEG - 29

Even the Baltimore Stallions have won a Grey Cup more recently than we have.

TBURGESS

« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »

If you like.  However, as a guy who is responsible for computer security, as well as app/web dev, for a couple of large companies, and keeps up on the industry literature, let me assure you that if you care at all about privacy and security, don't put anything in the cloud.  Turn it all off.

If it's in the cloud, the company hosting it can see it, they can give gubmint access to it, and it can get hacked by hackers.  Almost all supposed encryption cloud providers use has cloud-company and NSA back doors.

And you do still have to worry about losing it because the cloud companies make no guarantee they won't lose your data.  It's unlikely, but could (will) happen.  They use the same hard drives we all do, and even using GDFS's and advanced RAID structures, Murphy's law has not been repealed.

If you don't care about any of this, use the cloud!  If you care at all, don't use the cloud.  To be honest, most people don't care.  They just want convenience, no matter the (hidden) cost.

Since this is totally off topic I'll limit myself to just this one rant!  Just thought I could help, being Tecno and all.

Oh ya, to stay on topic, TSN said during the last game that Harris needed 100 or something to reach 5000 (I think) something?  Anyone know what the "something" was?  I don't recall.  I thought it was rushing yards.  But if he gets that 100 and breaks the something, I hope he does it at IGF this week so we can all give him a standing O!  Without a doubt there is no other player on the team that deserves such exaltation.

28 years in the IT world for me. I keep up too. Sounds like scare stories with little to no actual data to back them up.

NSA back doors in data outside 5 Eyes is very unlikely, outside 14 Eyes almost impossible as they have no jurisdiction even through alliances.

End to end encryption = no prying eyes = no scanning of data = no NSA back door even if the data is stored in a 5 Eyes country.

I've never personally lost anything and I haven't heard of major or even minor losses happening to cloud based data. There's likely significantly less chance that personal or business data would be lost in the cloud than on-site because cloud services keep your data on multiple servers and multiple disks at all times.

Google Drive and OneDrive are fine for most stuff and free, but they can and do scan your data if that means anything to you. End to end encryption for things you do worry about costs about $4 a month for 500G.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 01:18:25 PM by TBURGESS » Logged

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Colton

« Reply #140 on: August 15, 2019, 02:22:50 PM »

28 years in the IT world for me. I keep up too. Sounds like scare stories with little to no actual data to back them up.

NSA back doors in data outside 5 Eyes is very unlikely, outside 14 Eyes almost impossible as they have no jurisdiction even through alliances.

End to end encryption = no prying eyes = no scanning of data = no NSA back door even if the data is stored in a 5 Eyes country.

I've never personally lost anything and I haven't heard of major or even minor losses happening to cloud based data. There's likely significantly less chance that personal or business data would be lost in the cloud than on-site because cloud services keep your data on multiple servers and multiple disks at all times.

Google Drive and OneDrive are fine for most stuff and free, but they can and do scan your data if that means anything to you. End to end encryption for things you do worry about costs about $4 a month for 500G.

Seconding this. We're also talking about statistical spreadsheets/documents that Chevelle already said he wants to share publicly online... there's no reason to try to scare him away from using perfectly fine services that might be very useful to him.

Chevelle, if you do a lot of your work in Excel I'd highly recommend backing that all up into Google Sheets (Or even moving to it completely). It's 100% online, accessible from anywhere, has nearly all the functionality Excel has, and has some very cool sharing features. For example if you had some specific stats/tables formatted nicely in a spreadsheet and wanted to share them here you can share a read-only version of the spreadsheet that allows others to look at what you have exactly as you have it instead of trying to post that data into the very limited options this forum has for tables/etc. You can lock/hide specific tabs you have that you don't want to share in the public version, make it so that users can interact with only specific fields in specific ways (For example, if you had a table of stats you can make it so users can't edit the data itself, but can sort the data by specific columns you give them access to sort by), and a lot more. Here is an example of an NHL trade evaluator made in Google Sheets that shows off some of what you're able to do.
GCn19

« Reply #141 on: August 15, 2019, 02:27:51 PM »

Never change Tecno!! The conspiracy theories you weave are pure gold.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
TBURGESS

« Reply #142 on: August 15, 2019, 03:15:15 PM »

Never change Tecno!! The conspiracy theories you weave are pure gold.
Its kinda nice to know that his conspiracy theories aren't just football related. They apply to the tech world as well.

GCn19

« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2019, 03:31:51 PM »

Unfortunately there is no random chance involved in building a GC winner. If there was, you are right, we would probably have won one by now. Our 28 years without a cup is solely the fault of the football club itself.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2019, 04:26:31 PM »

Unfortunately there is no random chance involved in building a GC winner. If there was, you are right, we would probably have won one by now. Our 28 years without a cup is solely the fault of the football club itself.

I dunno. Injuries are random things that happen. Dunigan with an achilles. Glenn with a broken arm.

Those were both games we might have won if not for those critical injuries.

No more excuses.
John T.

« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2019, 04:41:22 PM »

I dunno. Injuries are random things that happen. Dunigan with an achilles. Glenn with a broken arm.

Those were both games we might have won if not for those critical injuries.

Great point, and one which is far too often ignored, both the frustrated Bomber fans and opposition fans that just want to take cheap shots at the Bombers.

Dunigan doesn't tear his Achilles in '92 or '93 (I forget which), and the Bombers probably win that Grey Cup.

Kevin Glenn doesn't break his arm in 2007 and the Bombers almost certainly win that Grey Cup (we lost by only four points with Ryan Dinwiddie, for heaven's sake! Nobody, not even Rider fans, think that Glenn wasn't four points better than Dinwiddie in 2007.

The 2001 Grey Cup? Just a perfect storm of awful...that one in a hundred game that statistics will tell you should almost never happen, with the key word being "almost".

So yes, the Bombers haven't won the Grey Cup since 1990, but they've been in five of them since then, which is pretty close to the statistically expected number. Injuries and stupidity kept them from winning three of the five.

This ain't great, but it isn't Toronto Maple Leafs-level incompetence.
Blue In BC

« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2019, 04:59:59 PM »

IIRC in 2001 we lost our MLB and our safety before things went downhill. We also had a blocked punt for a TD in that game and missed a couple of FG's??

Essentially everything that could go wrong did go wrong.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #147 on: August 15, 2019, 06:27:14 PM »

Seconding this. We're also talking about statistical spreadsheets/documents that Chevelle already said he wants to share publicly online... there's no reason to try to scare him away from using perfectly fine services that might be very useful to him.

Chevelle, if you do a lot of your work in Excel I'd highly recommend backing that all up into Google Sheets (Or even moving to it completely). It's 100% online, accessible from anywhere, has nearly all the functionality Excel has, and has some very cool sharing features. For example if you had some specific stats/tables formatted nicely in a spreadsheet and wanted to share them here you can share a read-only version of the spreadsheet that allows others to look at what you have exactly as you have it instead of trying to post that data into the very limited options this forum has for tables/etc. You can lock/hide specific tabs you have that you don't want to share in the public version, make it so that users can interact with only specific fields in specific ways (For example, if you had a table of stats you can make it so users can't edit the data itself, but can sort the data by specific columns you give them access to sort by), and a lot more. Here is an example of an NHL trade evaluator made in Google Sheets that shows off some of what you're able to do.

thanks for the tips and links! I actually was thinking about converting over to Google docs when I was trying to get the Office software that I did actually purchase reactivated after a back up... still might for the very reasons you suggested... I just don't want to lose the work as I have hours upon hours of invested in these things... I seriously like the 'ease in posting' that you were talking about...

I have no worries about data theft, heck, I'll give the work away to anyone that would be interested in having it, lol... some may be problematic for others to interpet currently as there are a ton of abbreviations and acronyms that probably only I would be able to know what they mean...

hopefully I will bring to the table some info that most wouldn't know otherwise from some stats that I track myself... that, and I will show you all some graphical presentations of data in non traditional ways to tell a story...

the only down side is that some of the data takes a while to pull together so a lot of it won't be readily available immediately after the game... tonight during the game I'll be charting through out as I plan on doing some drive summary graphics and detail passing graphics... hopefully you all will enjoy... the hope is to also provide game result data and show how it compares to year to date data... but again, it does take some time...

overall, my intent isn't to start a 'rant' thread... my thoughts are that it will be a thread that will contain graphics and stats that represent what happened in the game with narrative explaining how the data pertains to the results... it may come across at times, especially in bad losses, to some as a rant, but hopefully it will be more objective... hopefully, lol...

also, as members comment about play in the thread I will attempt to present data supporting the comment, not necessarily in support or opposing, just data relative to the comment for others to see and make an informed opinion about... however, don't see this as a place for open requests for me to 'data mine' for you, lol... I have enough on my plate already... suggestions are welcomed for things that may be informative, but I'm not volunteering here to be the site secretary, lol... just trying to be part of the 'solution' to a harmonious forum...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #148 on: August 16, 2019, 11:49:25 AM »

I said I won't comment more, as it's not relevant to football.  But believe me when I say what I say.  I'm not just in the "IT world", I'm in computer security and direct development on things related to this at both high and low level, for nearly 30 years, and I have a degree in it.  The data and details I see that the modern computer/mobile ecosystem "steals" from users would have your jaw drop.  It's not a conspiracy: I see it every day in the apps I have developed, and it sickens me.

I have one thing to say for your "paid" "secure" "no prying eyes" cloud data services: is it open source?  No?  Then you have no idea what "encryption" they are running on it, and how it's been compromised.  None of the easy to use home & SMB services we are discussing here are open source.

And TBurgess' suggestion wasn't about backing up spreadsheets, it was about backing up all "[his] data" before switching to a new one.  That made my alarm bells go off.  You guys can have the last word, I won't waste anyone's time with it any further.  I don't care if you heed my warnings or not.  Convenience trumps all for most users.  No one cares about privacy anymore, to be honest, except me.  And it doesn't sound like 66 isn't going to put all his data in the cloud anyhow.

I'm the Tecno... don't doubt me when I speak about tech.  I may not know much about football, but I do know computers.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 11:52:39 AM by TecnoGenius » Logged

Never go full Rider!
TBURGESS

« Reply #149 on: August 16, 2019, 02:47:11 PM »

I said I won't comment more, as it's not relevant to football.  But believe me when I say what I say.  I'm not just in the "IT world", I'm in computer security and direct development on things related to this at both high and low level, for nearly 30 years, and I have a degree in it.  The data and details I see that the modern computer/mobile ecosystem "steals" from users would have your jaw drop.  It's not a conspiracy: I see it every day in the apps I have developed, and it sickens me.

I have one thing to say for your "paid" "secure" "no prying eyes" cloud data services: is it open source?  No?  Then you have no idea what "encryption" they are running on it, and how it's been compromised.  None of the easy to use home & SMB services we are discussing here are open source.

And TBurgess' suggestion wasn't about backing up spreadsheets, it was about backing up all "[his] data" before switching to a new one.  That made my alarm bells go off.  You guys can have the last word, I won't waste anyone's time with it any further.  I don't care if you heed my warnings or not.  Convenience trumps all for most users.  No one cares about privacy anymore, to be honest, except me.  And it doesn't sound like 66 isn't going to put all his data in the cloud anyhow.

I'm the Tecno... don't doubt me when I speak about tech.  I may not know much about football, but I do know computers.

You're assuming that if it isn't open source, it's crap and that's just not true. It may be crap. It may be great. It's likely somewhere in between.

Apps can steal your local data as easily as your cloud data, once they are running, cuz most folks just click on OK during the install without wondering why the app needs this or that access.

Not sure what data you think is so important that a home user would be worried if folks scanned it. If you're that worried about it, you can always encrypt locally before putting the data in the cloud. Just search for free open source client side encryption. You can even use it on free sources like google drive and one drive.

I have all my data in the cloud. Some is encrypted. Some isn't. (More than one cloud storage) I share it among all my boxes. I have access to it when I'm home, out and about or even when I'm abroad. I'm not worried in the least about it.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: