Blue Bombers Forum
July 09, 2020, 07:06:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: why we do not change up a quarterback?  (Read 3055 times)
Austin85

« on: August 02, 2019, 01:43:44 AM »

Why not put in Stev. Give it a different look make Nichols think about it God!!
Pigskin

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:45:15 AM »

Well str17 should have been in the game after the fumble. That was the time to run the ball down there throats. Str17 give us a different look.
Austin85

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 01:45:52 AM »

O shea sucks sometimes never gives his players a tongue lashing! He looks lost somedays.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 01:47:02 AM »

O shea will do well in Poker.
blue girl

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 02:09:59 AM »

So if Strevelers in that makes the Bomber defence better. The Bombers had a 20-0 lead. That should have won the game.
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 02:12:05 AM »

Really a 20 point lead 20 minutes into a CFL game should be enough to win. This is not the #1 D as PJ suggests. Like I said before 3-4.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:09 AM »

Terrible idea.  You stay the course.

Top 3 D.  Took a few steps back.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 02:18:18 AM »

It?s not the Qb , it?s the play calling. We went away from the run when the run was killing them. Total momentum killer. This loss is 100% on Lapo and this team will never win with him as our OC

Harris has over 200 yds rushing and you go away from it!??! Unbelievable!! The game was ours, 20-0, pound the ball down their throats, nope, let?s go with our pathetic passing game and go 2 and out?!? Pathetic
Horseman

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 02:18:47 AM »

Took a few huge leaps backwards.
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 02:20:48 AM »

Besides the DL got shredded by the worst team in the leagues backup.

The scary part is before we looked good vs bad offenses. Now we look bad against bad offenses
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 02:22:52 AM »

I agree about LaPo. I don't know why they go away from the run when they have a big lead. If anything you should be running the ball more. Even put Streveler in like they did on Harris's second TD the defence doesn't know who's getting the ball.
Pigskin

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 02:23:57 AM »

Well at less we are not rated #1 D anymore. lol
Doublezero

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 02:25:36 AM »

I agree with the OP - we're going to need Streveler next year. Give him the reps, groom him now. Otherwise he's gone and we're stuck with Nichols who is just not good enough. Of course this is the same regime that stuck with Drew Willy for 2 years longer than they should've so ... not holding breath.

Just gimme the rock.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 02:26:14 AM »

I agree with the OP - we're going to need Streveler next year. Give him the reps, groom him now. Otherwise he's gone and we're stuck with Nichols who is just not good enough. Of course this is the same regime that stuck with Drew Willy for 2 years longer than they should've so ... not holding breath.

Willy and Nichols have zero in common.

kkc60

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 02:27:34 AM »

Except their position and at times their inexplicable lackluster performances
Doublezero

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2019, 02:28:30 AM »

True. Willy was at least willing stand in there and take the hits, trying to complete the play.

Just gimme the rock.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2019, 02:29:12 AM »

No way in hell top 3. Hamilton?s is better, Saskatchewan/Edmonton and Calgary I?d say at the current time are all better. We just got shutdown by the worst team in the leagues Defense for the most part tonight and you say top 3? Come on man, even your blind faith can look past this.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 02:33:29 AM »

No way in hell top 3. Hamilton?s is better, Saskatchewan/Edmonton and Calgary I?d say at the current time are all better. We just got shutdown by the worst team in the leagues Defense for the most part tonight and you say top 3? Come on man, even your blind faith can look past this.

settle on top 4 LOL

Pigskin

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2019, 02:37:54 AM »

Maybe 5.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 03:05:41 AM »

It's truly bizarre that we are not seeing Streveler in for more snaps given Nichols' struggles for much of this season.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 03:09:03 AM »

It's truly bizarre that we are not seeing Streveler in for more snaps given Nichols' struggles for much of this season.

1. Last game yes, this game no.
2. Strev hasn't show he can win and hasn't shown well this year.
3. Nichols gives up the best chance to win
4. My rule would be pull QB after 3 ints
5. Strev benefits from spot duty to help his low and slow development

I like both QBs.

blue girl

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 03:10:18 AM »

No it's not. Streveler's strength is running the ball. We have Harris for that.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 03:10:56 AM »

inserting Strev on a 2nd and short more would have been a decent idea...makes the defence respect his running opens holes for Harris and on occasion run Strev out of the pocket...
pjrocksmb

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 03:12:01 AM »

inserting Strev on a 2nd and short more would have been a decent idea...makes the defence respect his running opens holes for Harris and on occasion run Strev out of the pocket...

agree

No it's not. Streveler's strength is running the ball. We have Harris for that.

agree

blue girl

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 03:16:59 AM »

I agree with that.
Pigskin

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 03:39:56 AM »

After watching the Ham/Sask game. It Streveller time. Two young QB's look very good.
dd

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 03:41:50 AM »

Agree. Both offenses and QBs look better than ours and they have a handful of games between the 2 of them!!!
Pigskin

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »

Both of those QB's got in trouble and made things happen with there legs. Matt just throws the ball in the stands.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 03:52:18 AM »

Both of those QB's got in trouble and made things happen with there legs. Matt just throws the ball in the stands.

and young QBs throw duck and picks.  A good vet throws the ball away.  Been working for Matt his entire career with the  Bombers.

Pigskin

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 04:16:47 AM »

Well it has work the last two games.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2019, 08:45:39 PM »

I like Streveler, a lot as a matter of fact, but, he'd be no more successful than Nichols if given the same game plan.

Those that feel Streveler has regressed this year, it may appear that he has. But, I say it's much like Nichols and his current game play, both are merely trying to execute what they've been asked to with the plays that are being called for them.

Yes, change is needed, but, changing the QB isn't what will fix our current situation....

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
swansong

« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2019, 09:10:04 PM »

I like Streveler, a lot as a matter of fact, but, he'd be no more successful than Nichols if given the same game plan.

Those that feel Streveler has regressed this year, it may appear that he has. But, I say it's much like Nichols and his current game play, both are merely trying to execute what they've been asked to with the plays that are being called for them.

Yes, change is needed, but, changing the QB isn't what will fix our current situation....

If a change at QB isn't going to change things then what's the harm in trying? At worst we give the kid a chance to see what he can actually bring to a game with first team reps so we can see whether he might be the heir apparent. At this point he hasn't really been given a chance since early last year to show what he has gleaned from his time here.

Even if we concede that Nichols is just fine...no issues...how much longer do we think we're gonna ride him before we put him out to pasture?

Unfortunately he isn't just fine. Yes he hit some long balls this year...to wide open receivers in broken coverages. When playing better teams with tight coverage he seems reluctant to pull the trigger...and when he does we get what we got in Hamilton. He can't scramble...has difficulty throwing on the run and easily gets flustered when the pressure is poured on.

He's not the future. Maybe we should find out if we have someone that is.

Give Nichols the starts against coming up against the West...if his performances remain the same...make the change.

Every starter in the league was wet behind the ears at some point too.
blue girl

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2019, 09:29:13 PM »

You don't give your backup QB first team reps until you're out of the playoffs or have the highest position that you can get. Streveler had a chance in the final game of the regular season last year and when things weren't going well reverted back to his run first pass second game.
PurpleReign

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2019, 09:31:55 PM »

Took a few huge leaps backwards.

Edmonton,Sask, Ham, Calgary defences are better than the Bombers heck it?s possible Mtl is even just as good or better than Winnipeg.
blue girl

« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2019, 09:37:23 PM »

I don't know about Montreal. They couldn't stop Ottawa from getting a FG and tying the game last night.
DM83

« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 09:47:27 PM »

We don't change the QB. Position because we don't have a competant back up.
We do have a novelty in Strev, who I love to watch run.
The Bombers won't take Nichols out of a game because he is so fragile, he might break down and cry.
If he controls himself and not cry, he will play like he did in the Toronto game.
Tentative, reluctant to go down field..

If I am coaching I get him a couple more "winners" linemen.  Guys who will win their every play one or one Battles.....The last game our O line looked like BCs at times.
Nichols is at best nervous. Back there, and seems to think if he. Holds the ball 2/10ths of  a second longer, he will be crushed.  That reasoning is pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:09:54 PM by DM83 » Logged
swansong

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2019, 09:56:12 PM »

when things weren't going well reverted back to his run first pass second game.

Do we know he wasn't coached to do exactly that? It's clear from every appearance he's made this year the plan for him is to hand off or run.

Facts are facts...Matt is not going to get younger...faster...more mobile or more accurate. Maybe Chris isn't the future but someone is...and if we come out of what has been hyped as our most promising season in years without a cup or god forbid a playoff win fans are going to revolt without some significant changes.

It'll be interesting to see what folks are saying on here if we come out of the next 5 games 6-6 or 7-5 which at this exact moment in time seems like a distinct possibility.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:10:23 PM by swansong » Logged
pjrocksmb

« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 01:45:37 AM »

Edmonton,Sask, Ham, Calgary defences are better than the Bombers heck it?s possible Mtl is even just as good or better than Winnipeg.

heck or maybe not and our D will start to player better

dd

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2019, 01:59:25 AM »

Today?s Edmonton Calgary game was a showcase for hard core D. They have to be 1&2 in the league. Ticats outplayed our D last week and the riders have a fairly decent D as well. We are 4 th at best and likely 5th in D. The secondaries of those teams don?t play with the cushion we do, hence our secondary makes MBT look like Tom Brady!! Those D s make you earn every catch and every yard. We play 10 yards off, ya gotta cover better then that
pjrocksmb

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2019, 02:02:31 AM »

Today?s Edmonton Calgary game was a showcase for hard core D. They have to be 1&2 in the league. Ticats outplayed our D last week and the riders have a fairly decent D as well. We are 4 th at best and likely 5th in D. The secondaries of those teams don?t play with the cushion we do, hence our secondary makes MBT look like Tom Brady!! Those D s make you earn every catch and every yard. We play 10 yards off, ya gotta cover better then that

D has looked good early, took a few lumps and we will know where we rank for sure after labour day.  Clearly our hot start wasn't sustainable but I feel when healthy we can rivals the best defenses.  You analysis isn't far off at the moment, but too early to tell.  I'll stick with my recent downgrade to 3/4.

kkc60

« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2019, 04:46:54 AM »

and young QBs throw duck and picks.  A good vet throws the ball away.  Been working for Matt his entire career with the  Bombers.
Yes young QBs make mistakes. But that's what happens. You take the errors for the upside.

I'm not sure if you wanna say Nichols has never thrown many INTs (if that's what you're implying) as he threw 13 in 14 last year. Of course his numbers are nice and low this year but all QBs throw INTs and make bad throws
TBURGESS

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »

We're 1-1 against good teams and 1-4 against bad teams.

The next 5 games are all against the west. This is the part of the season that will reveal what kind of team we really are. My guess is we lose to the Stamps and the Eskimos, split with the Riders and beat the Lions.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2019, 01:55:55 PM »

Maybe 5.
Well at least we are not 9th Smiley
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2019, 01:59:26 PM »

We're 1-1 against good teams and 1-4 against bad teams.

The next 5 games are all against the west. This is the part of the season that will reveal what kind of team we really are. My guess is we lose to the Stamps and the Eskimos, split with the Riders and beat the Lions.

That's pretty much how I see it also - funny part will be if the Lions beat us and we are 1-4. I think we split against the Riders and hopefully beat the Lions. Might be the best game the Lions play AKA Toronto. Fun times that's for sure.
Doublezero

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2019, 02:59:40 PM »

You don't give your backup QB first team reps until you're out of the playoffs or have the highest position that you can get. Streveler had a chance in the final game of the regular season last year and when things weren't going well reverted back to his run first pass second game.
Slice and dice it as you like. Streveler just needs more game speed reps, which he ain't getting with MOS. He's shown he can win with his arm and feet. Like here 1 running TD and 3 passing TDs over Als last year: https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1262235203969 Fun to watch, not like this boring, hesitant, inconsistent BS we're getting from the so-called starter.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 03:03:00 PM by Doublezero » Logged

Just gimme the rock.
DM83

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2019, 03:14:19 PM »

I don't like much of Nichols game. Agree with what most everyone is saying.
We seem to be headed for a team like last year. We  will maybe get in in the East.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: