Blue Bombers Forum
July 09, 2020, 06:56:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: never going to win a grey cup with Nichols!  (Read 5456 times)
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #75 on: August 02, 2019, 08:44:59 PM »

Have to disagree - We are building an average team and have yet to play the better teams - no need for deep breaths just a need to face reality.

I'll wait until we play those top teams to pre decide this teams fate.  Team is above average 5 and 2.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Doublezero

« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2019, 09:01:02 PM »

He is not a elite quarterback!!
True. And although we don't necessarily need an elite QB we do a better one than Nichols.

Just gimme the rock.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #77 on: August 02, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »

An honest question; did anyone actually have faith and honestly believe that after the fumble recovery Nichols would engineer a drive that would kill the clock and win the game?
Blue In BC

« Reply #78 on: August 02, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »

An honest question; did anyone actually have faith and honestly believe that after the fumble recovery Nichols would engineer a drive that would kill the clock and win the game?

No but I didn't think our defense would stop them from a 70+ yard drive either. While we could have won if the offense got a 1st down or two, we equally could have won with a defensive stop.

I still think we should have conceded a safety which would have burned off a few more seconds. It was still going to take a TD to win for the Argos and a K/O might have been deeper than the punt.

Why is nobody complaining that the defense couldn't make a play to win in the 70 yard drive?

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #79 on: August 02, 2019, 10:57:15 PM »

honestly I felt like the game was over once the rouge was conceded... it was destined to be 'that night'...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
gordo

« Reply #80 on: August 02, 2019, 11:03:14 PM »

Mobility isn't great yes.  Can escape pressure at times.  Had found his medium and deep ball this year just fine.  Has passed for 300 in the pass.  He isn't bad.  Has played well all season with a couple of bad games

Gray isn't struggling nearly as bad as you suggest.  This unit started really well and has had a few bad games.  Otherwise the unit is working out pretty well considering the new faces and young guys starting.  Cutting Nichols that sounds like a great idea, wow!

There it is, clear the house panic mode.  Makes zero sense.  We are building a great team and hit a bump.  Deep breaths.

And he has never won the big game.

47 passing yards in the second half. 169 passing yards for the game. Yeah definitely an elite quarterback.

Take a deep breath and get ready for more playoff disappointment if Nichols is at the helm.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:06:04 PM by gordo » Logged
blue girl

« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2019, 11:11:01 PM »

47 passing yards in the second half. 169 passing yards for the game. Yeah definitely an elite quarterback.

Take a deep breath and get ready for more playoff disappointment if Nichols is at the helm.
The only playoff loss I blame on Nichols is last years in the final. It's not his fault that O'Shea decided to kick a 62 yard or whatever it was FG against BC or that they ran that fake punt against Edmonton that everyone in the stadium saw coming. BTW I'll give you 2 HOF QBs that never won us a Grey Cup Dieter Brock and Matt Dunigan.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:16:02 PM by blue girl » Logged
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #82 on: August 03, 2019, 03:00:19 AM »

1. His career isn't over yet.  He will have many more changes to win the big game.  Starting this year for example.
2. You are nit picking a good vet QB for a bad game.  Yup those numbers are bad.  Perhaps look at his long term number.  They paint a different picture.  Or keep pilling on, either way. LOL
3. We will be a contender again in the playoffs, it's anyone's to win this year and we have a shot.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
gordo

« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2019, 04:06:49 AM »

The only playoff loss I blame on Nichols is last years in the final. It's not his fault that O'Shea decided to kick a 62 yard or whatever it was FG against BC or that they ran that fake punt against Edmonton that everyone in the stadium saw coming. BTW I'll give you 2 HOF QBs that never won us a Grey Cup Dieter Brock and Matt Dunigan.

Matt Dunigan won two Grey Cups including in 1991 when he threw two TD's with a broken collar bone. Yes he was playing for Edmonton but he won that huge game and many other big playoff games.  That is the point.

My money would be on Matt Dunigan with a broken collar bone in a playoff game against Matt Nichols every time.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »

Hey, I get that Nichols struggles and all, and I'm not the most happy after the two losses either, but here's the status quo in the CFL. Who exactly are we supposed to get?

--Bo Levi is undoubtedly the best QB, but there's no way Calgary would part with him, and he is also currently injured
--Mike Reilly went from All Star in Edmonton to No Star in BC. Can you imagine how mad they are, especially how much they paid for him?
--Franklin hasn't lived up to the potential that he'd shown in Edmonton since he's joined Toronto even before he was injured, and even Mike Reilly hasn't looked good since leaving
--Trevor Harris is probably the best QB in the league right now, by virtue of that he's not injured. Still, the knock against him is that he throws for lots of yardage and has great stats, but can't win the Cup.
--Masoli, for me, would be the 2nd best QB in the league after BLM, but 2nd best or not doesn't mean much when you're injured for the rest of the season
--MBT can throw for lots of yardage, but is inconsistent--inconsistent enough for the Argos to acquire Zach Collaros
--Collaros is chronically injured and should retire from pro football before he sustains permanent damage to his head and brain
--Fajardo and Arbuckle are pretty good and have shown some promise, but that could be a smokescreen as other teams don't have as much film on them as other QB's. Can they sustain success? The Riders trading Collaros was a bit of a hail mary; they know that Collaros won't be reliable enough for them to bank on him as their starter for the foreseeable future, but Fajardo isn't a known quantity in terms of a full season and what he can do over the course of that time.
-Davis has shown potential, but mostly because he's a high risk QB with lots of interceptions (Ottawa won last night, though Davis still had two int's and unspectacular numbers). Jennings' career may as well be done in the CFL, he is that bad.
-Vernon Adams Jr. has shown potential, but needs to establish a full season before a more objective opinion can be made on him

At some point, putting Streveler in may be a good idea, but when he's been left in the game, he's been errant with his throws and has looked more rushed in the pocket in the games where Nichols has looked relaxed. I love his "win at all costs" attitude and he can run the ball like crazy, but that will also get him injured in short order.....Masoli is a more mobile QB, but he had a non-contact injury. Running puts more strain on things like an ACL.

I'm not understanding who exactly we should have in or acquire at this point, if we are as bad off as some people are making it out to be here.
DM83

« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2019, 03:34:58 PM »

Yet!!!

How about soon.
dd

« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »

Matt Dunigan won two Grey Cups including in 1991 when he threw two TD's with a broken collar bone. Yes he was playing for Edmonton but he won that huge game and many other big playoff games.  That is the point.

My money would be on Matt Dunigan with a broken collar bone in a playoff game against Matt Nichols every time.
Please, don?t use Matt dunnigan and matt Nichols in the same sentence!! One was a stud the other is a dud!!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2019, 03:44:44 PM »

1. His career isn't over yet.  He will have many more changes to win the big game.  Starting this year for example.
2. You are nit picking a good vet QB for a bad game.  Yup those numbers are bad.  Perhaps look at his long term number.  They paint a different picture.  Or keep pilling on, either way. LOL
3. We will be a contender again in the playoffs, it's anyone's to win this year and we have a shot.

Just for rebuttal
1. He will have many chances - he will fail.
2. He is a vet QB not a good vet QB. Long term he can not win the big game.
3. Yes we have a shot as do all the other teams (well maybe not the Lions). Everyone is a contender - I just do not like our chances with MN leading the charge. He has proven he can not win the big game.

No different painting here. MN will not win the big game for you - end of story.
RebusRankin

« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2019, 04:02:45 PM »

So Nichols in the playoffs for us:

2016-Good game against BC, you can blame the D for not stopping Jennings.
2017-Great stats because we were down 38-17 in the 4th quarter, so he got a ton of garbage time yards which inflated his stats and made the score closer.
2018- Not a great game versus the Riders but we win (behind a huge game from AH) and then he played poorly in a loss to Calgary.

Reality is he has not been great in the playoffs.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2019, 04:59:49 PM »

Just for rebuttal
1. He will have many chances - he will fail.
2. He is a vet QB not a good vet QB. Long term he can not win the big game.
3. Yes we have a shot as do all the other teams (well maybe not the Lions). Everyone is a contender - I just do not like our chances with MN leading the charge. He has proven he can not win the big game.

No different painting here. MN will not win the big game for you - end of story.

No it not the end of the story. It is only 7 games deep. We get it you do not believe in him. Shocker. End of story.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: