Blue Bombers Forum
July 09, 2020, 08:16:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: never going to win a grey cup with Nichols!  (Read 5459 times)
gordo

« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2019, 06:34:58 AM »

https://www.cfl.ca/players/matt-nichols/157693/

18K yards in the air, yeah that's terrible, cut him now, start Strev lOL

And never won a big game.

Struggles to roll out. Struggles to escape pressure  Struggles to hit open receivers down field.  Can't pass for 300 yards.  He's bad.

We'll be competitive if he has a good team around him but never win in the playoffs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:41:34 AM by gordo » Logged
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »

My biggest disappointment with Nichols is his lack of courage when the pressure is on.....a QB needs to carry a team on his back at times when the chips are down and I haven't seen a lot of that from him.   He's been outplayed the last two games by back ups.....both games were winnable and we found a way to lose both.   The TSN panel were hard on the Bombers and for good reasons!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
DM83

« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2019, 08:14:50 AM »

I am so pissed off with OShea, Lapo, Nichols .
They don't make observable changes.  It is one thing to support your players, but eventually a guy ain't going to get any better. Nichols really is a second string guy. His yardage totals/game a ref actually embarassing aren't they?

As has been noted. When does he make a big play.

We needed one pass completion for a first down, and he throws behind. The receiver.....now how many times has this. Happened?  Lots.

Imagine if we had a real number one QB.  At this time that would be any other team in the.   CFL
I am done on Nichols.  He will never win a big game. NEVER! 

Unless they change QBs the team will win a few more and. Be stifled for many more. 
Maybe Nichols has a broken arm and can't throw more than. Fifteen yards.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2019, 10:43:53 AM »

Special teams, had some issues
Defence had some issues
Offence had some issues

IMO all the issues aside we had the lead inside of 2 minutes and our defence via Willy Jefferson gift wrapped the game for us, he caused a fumble and recovered it, snuffing out a good T.O drive.

I don't care what happened prior to that that point in the game. At that point of the game it is a game with-in a game and to win all you need to do is get 1 or 2 first down to seal the deal and win. That's all at that point of the game it doesn't matter what happened 3 plays ago or what the other team is doing, you have 1 job, play the clock and execute your assignment. It doesn't matter how tired or sore you are you fight it and win your one on one battle for 4-6 more plays, your drive your desire your anger at that point in a game should be so high everything else slows down.....

but we couldn't do it. not just we couldn't do it we throw an incomplete pass stop the clock and give T.O the ball back after an incredibly quick 2 and out. Is it all Nichols fault no...but he is the highest paid player, he touches the ball every play, he is the leader, he is the one who controls the ultimate destiny and he again couldn't get it done.

MBT got the ball back, he was gift wrapped the game by our offensive inability and what did he do....he wanted it, he took punishment for it, he made it happen he not just got 1 or 2 first downs, he completed the touchdown, including threading a tight 3rd and 7 gamble. Honestly be honest do you think Nichols could have made that throw? do you think Nichols would have stood in and took the hits he took to make the completions he did, do you think Nichols could/would have used his legs when the defenders were covered and rushed for the first downs he did? My answer is no, Nichols panicked threw the ball away, never looked at taking off, and he never threaded the needle, he never even took a small risk even with the game on the line.

So in short is this game all on Nichols, no....not even close but the team gave him the chance and he couldn't close it out.....again!
Tiger

« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2019, 11:58:42 AM »

He is not a elite quarterback!!

Didn?t we win grey cups with burgess and Salisbury?  Elite QBs?

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
66 Chevelle

« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2019, 03:32:32 PM »

Lapo's playcalling is a product of his lack of trust in Nichols I think.  Also, Nichols constant checkdowns  throws are his fault not Paul's.  Do you all think Lapo tells Nichols to throw behind the first down markers 80% of the time?  Pretty unlikely.  Matt fails to get past his first read...that and his poor mobility ultimately means he checks down to the closest receiver resulting in short gains.

Nichols had 27 yards total passing in the second half.  Hid leading receiver was the running back.  Neither of those things should happen.

Matt is what he is - a thoroughly unremarkable, immobile average QB with above average talent around him that boosts some of his numbers (ie Qb wins)  His inconsistent production for much of his career will not change as he has been playing in the CFL for over 8 years.  Quarterbacks do not become better after age 32.

We basically have to hope we can finish first and Nichols somehow manages 2 good games in a row (West Final and Grey Cup) while the rest of team around him (specifically O-line, Harris, defense and special teams) plays excellent, to win the Grey Cup.  We certainly cannot expect Nichols to play great for one, let alone two games, to win the grand prize.  After all, he has rarely had great games since the first half of the 2017 season, so why should we expect him to now?

It's a tall task and probably unlikely, but I won't say it's impossible to win a Cup with him.

I wish we had a better QB.

Your first sentence is bang on and what Lapo does when he first sees the signs of Nichols struggling is to revert back to terrible game plan and playing calling... Laptop sees it as 'safe' but all it does is put everything in shut down... D line keys on it and sends pressure, Nichols is hurried, gets flustered and starts the check down play, which takes us no where...

Nichols has shown that he can have success with this team, o line, and receivers when given a decent game plan... No, he's not elite... Capable would be more appropriate, but only when given something that includes something other than handing off and passing to Harris and beyond 10 yards down field...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
lenny

« Reply #66 on: August 02, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »

Your first sentence is bang on and what Lapo does when he first sees the signs of Nichols struggling is to revert back to terrible game plan and playing calling... Laptop sees it as 'safe' but all it does is put everything in shut down... D line keys on it and sends pressure, Nichols is hurried, gets flustered and starts the check down play, which takes us no where...

Nichols has shown that he can have success with this team, o line, and receivers when given a decent game plan... No, he's not elite... Capable would be more appropriate, but only when given something that includes something other than handing off and passing to Harris and beyond 10 yards down field...

Capable with a thin skin of confidence easily pierced by adversity. Just like last year. He'll come out of the skaken confidence thing as he usually does and then his defenders believe all are silenced. But there is no turning back for him. It's Grey Cup or bust for Matt Nichols.

And by the way Strev is not a starter at this point. I have more concerns about him this year as I think he has regressed. Sean McGuire has obvious capabilities in the pocket which have yet to be exploited. But as long as the stubborn coach continues to let Nichols either lay eggs or if the game is beyond reach for the opposition, continue with Nichols then the team is asking for trouble.
PurpleReign

« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2019, 04:42:57 PM »

I am so pissed off with OShea, Lapo, Nichols .
They don't make observable changes.  It is one thing to support your players, but eventually a guy ain't going to get any better. Nichols really is a second string guy. His yardage totals/game a ref actually embarassing aren't they?

As has been noted. When does he make a big play.

We needed one pass completion for a first down, and he throws behind. The receiver.....now how many times has this. Happened?  Lots.

Imagine if we had a real number one QB.  At this time that would be any other team in the.   CFL
I am done on Nichols.  He will never win a big game. NEVER! 

This coaching staff can only be successful if everything is going there way.  When faced with adversity they choke and can't adapt.  They keep doing the same thing over and over again. I am just fed up with this entire organization, and after this year they have to clean out the house of these coaches.  Nichols can not be the starting QB next year.  He is a good backup and nothing more.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 04:46:34 PM by PurpleReign » Logged
elder

« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2019, 04:52:34 PM »

Didn?t we win grey cups with burgess and Salisbury?  Elite QBs?

But didn't we have a really good and consistent defense both times?  We certainly don't have one now.
heart of gold

« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2019, 05:12:08 PM »

I have been sitting on the fence about Matt Nichols ever since he got here.  I want to think he's the one, and sometimes he has me convinced.  Right now i'm feeling - "no -this is NOT the guy".  Maybe after the next few weeks he'll win me back.  But that is the crux of the problem with Nichols - he is to inconsistent.  He has never shown a flair for winning "the big game", and lately, can't mount a come from behind victory.  A game manager is not what is needed to win in the CFL.  We need a game game changer.  Several other teams have been able to find a dynamic, multi-faceted QB that can win games with much less starting experience than Matt Nichols has.  I'll sit on the fence a few more games, but I think Nichols and the BB coaching/management team is running out of chances to convert me and other fence sitters about their choice of starting QB, and our chance of ever winning a cup.
Foxhound

« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2019, 05:26:02 PM »

He is not a elite quarterback!!

Oh groan! How soon the hysteria starts. It was predicted though. Posters said that after one or two losses the love-in would end and the bagbiting would begin.

Roll Eyes

Radically Canadian!

DM83

« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »

Of course we won with Sals and Burgess.  They were game Managers.
The difference was that they stood in the pocket and did not cower under pressure or duress.  They probably had dependable O linemen.

Nichols is being hit every play, if he doesn't chuck and duck after catching the ball.
To get a second and certainly a third or fourth read. He has to break out of the pocket. AmscramnlingnQB is not something he is.

It's been a few years, and. bombers brass have not been able to get and keep a winning group of linemen to protect a NFL type pocket passer QB like Nichols is.

There is tuenover in every team, but their management finds players that can effectively perform at the CFL level.

Bombers under this. Management group, have had five years.  There is no significant growth to the Top level. Nichols, or Grey, or Neufeld, or Fenner or whoever.  All are,nice young men.  It's been demonstrated by some of them and others, they can't play at this level to a championship level.  Oh yes dunderheads, they can put on equipment and be trotted out on game day.  But some of them depending on the opportunity, have to make plays.

If Grey is. Getting steamrolled almost every play -'get someone else.
If Nichols, is unable,to find a secondary. Receiver, move on, cut him.
It's been five years of inability.

Wade got us out of the  Mack Brendan Tamam debacle , then they went cheap and hired a zero expensive head coach, and Walters yet again struck out on a number one QB, and we settled for Willy, then Nichols.

Again in this fantasize abiutbgetting a  Former Grey Cup winning QB here,,who is mobile and can throw for 300 yds a game.mmgo ahead fantasize.  While doing that fantasize about Pamela Amderson, C?te de Pablo, and others ( while you are at it) lol!

Five years?! What other sport organization holds onto ineptitude and considers it a virtue, like Winnipeg?
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2019, 06:31:30 PM »

And never won a big game.

Struggles to roll out. Struggles to escape pressure  Struggles to hit open receivers down field.  Can't pass for 300 yards.  He's bad. 
We'll be competitive if he has a good team around him but never win in the playoffs.

Mobility isn't great yes.  Can escape pressure at times.  Had found his medium and deep ball this year just fine.  Has passed for 300 in the pass.  He isn't bad.  Has played well all season with a couple of bad games

Of course we won with Sals and Burgess.  They were game Managers.
The difference was that they stood in the pocket and did not cower under pressure or duress.  They probably had dependable O linemen.

Nichols is being Mobility isn't great yes.  Can escape pressure at times.  Had found his medium and deep ball this year just fine.  Has passed for 300 in the pass.  He isn't badhit every play, if he doesn't chuck and duck after catching the ball.
To get a second and certainly a third or fourth read. He has to break out of the pocket. AmscramnlingnQB is not something he is.

It's been a few years, and. bombers brass have not been able to get and keep a winning group of linemen to protect a NFL type pocket passer QB like Nichols is.

There is tuenover in every team, but their management finds players that can effectively perform at the CFL level.

Bombers under this. Management group, have had five years.  There is no significant growth to the Top level. Nichols, or Grey, or Neufeld, or Fenner or whoever.  All are,nice young men.  It's been demonstrated by some of them and others, they can't play at this level to a championship level.  Oh yes dunderheads, they can put on equipment and be trotted out on game day.  But some of them depending on the opportunity, have to make plays.

If Grey is. Getting steamrolled almost every play -'get someone else.
If Nichols, is unable,to find a secondary. Receiver, move on, cut him.
It's been five years of inability.

Wade got us out of the  Mack Brendan Tamam debacle , then they went cheap and hired a zero expensive head coach, and Walters yet again struck out on a number one QB, and we settled for Willy, then Nichols.

Again in this fantasize abiutbgetting a  Former Grey Cup winning QB here,,who is mobile and can throw for 300 yds a game.mmgo ahead fantasize.  While doing that fantasize about Pamela Amderson, C?te de Pablo, and others ( while you are at it) lol!

Five years?! What other sport organization holds onto ineptitude and considers it a virtue, like Winnipeg?

Gray isn't struggling nearly as bad as you suggest.  This unit started really well and has had a few bad games.  Otherwise the unit is working out pretty well considering the new faces and young guys starting.  Cutting Nichols that sounds like a great idea, wow!

This coaching staff can only be successful if everything is going there way.  When faced with adversity they choke and can't adapt.  They keep doing the same thing over and over again. I am just fed up with this entire organization, and after this year they have to clean out the house of these coaches.  Nichols can not be the starting QB next year.  He is a good backup and nothing more.

There it is, clear the house panic mode.  Makes zero sense.  We are building a great team and hit a bump.  Deep breaths.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 06:37:22 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
elder

« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2019, 07:19:48 PM »

Oh groan! How soon the hysteria starts. It was predicted though. Posters said that after one or two losses the love-in would end and the bagbiting would begin.

Roll Eyes

I'm not hysterical, nor have I bitten any bags.  I'm just supremely disappointed.  This wasn't just an ordinary loss.  For heavens sake, we just got beaten by the doormat of the league and after we were ahead by 20 points!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #74 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:32 PM »

Mobility isn't great yes.  Can escape pressure at times.  Had found his medium and deep ball this year just fine.  Has passed for 300 in the pass.  He isn't bad.  Has played well all season with a couple of bad games

Gray isn't struggling nearly as bad as you suggest.  This unit started really well and has had a few bad games.  Otherwise the unit is working out pretty well considering the new faces and young guys starting.  Cutting Nichols that sounds like a great idea, wow!

There it is, clear the house panic mode.  Makes zero sense.  We are building a great team and hit a bump.  Deep breaths.

Have to disagree - We are building an average team and have yet to play the better teams - no need for deep breaths just a need to face reality.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: