Blue Bombers Forum
September 20, 2019, 03:12:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Good, Bad, and the Ugly.  (Read 3112 times)
kkc60

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2019, 08:09:08 PM »

It won't get ugly, we will get even using next guy up or can always bring someone in.  Yes it's our weakest point but give it time the jello will jell.  I do agree it's a place where we don't want injuries but the OL and Qb are the top priority to keep healthy.
We have no idea if it will. Right now Fenner is our weakest DB by a big margin and that has been the case 3/4 games. It's bad when QBs can pick on one if your starting DBs like they have with Fenner. 100+ yards against him in 3/4 games.

Of course the secondary isn't the most important part of the team to stay healthy. I don't think that  was ever my point. My concern is with Fenner, not.our backups.

We will see if Fenner can jell with everyone else. But all the other starters seem on the same page and I would.argue Fenners.struggles have been the same game after game: he gets caught flat footed, he gets turned around and he just can't cover well especially in man coverage. And it makes sense because not one of the 5 pro teams he has been on since 2012 has tried him at corner, because he is much better as a safety or SAM.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2019, 07:34:41 AM »

GOOD
  • 1Q AH33 TD, they fell for that "old standard" play of ours that we've used a hundred times last year and this; no one does film study in TOR?  Grin
  • D: shout outs to Jeffcoat, Wilson, Rose, Miles
  • Harris great reverse run and 8k career yards
  • Lawler catch/non-catch -- oh my word! that was sooo close
  • Wild tribute at IGF (wasn't on TV); he deserved it!  Classy touch by WFC.  Not sure he liked it though as he was stoked and angry at WPG on the sidelines on some TSN after-play shots
  • Couture shout out, been solid all year, no mistakes snapping(?); Goosen who?
  • Adams is a great blocker: smart and selfless
  • Miles makes the GLS 2nd attempt stop! and 3rd he might have been the decisive factor!!  Wow
  • GLS, Chevelle how can you not love that!  I was at IGF and that was the best part of the whole night; crowd was noisiest before the 3rd attempt and the cheers were best after
  • Strev's game-finishing TD and tha awesome blocking that made it happen

BAD
  • Clock management before halftime; refs botching, and MOS not TO'ing
  • When Medlock gives up 2 near the end; why not run around the EZ for a while to bleed clock? Do like that other team did this week and put some other player back there instead of the kicker!
  • Prevent D is supposed to prevent explosion plays... that is the only function of prevent-DGrin Grin

UGLY
  • Good playcalling from TOR OC to start the 3rd Q, good adjustments; and end of 3Q also; added more blockers, often 7 and 8 total! bought MBT time; Hall needs to counter!
  • 3Q1:35 Horrible spot on the Lucky REC takes away at least 1 yd and a potential SY option; MOS had challenges, why not use one?; another horrible spot 4Q13:53 we should have had another .75yd and could think about SY; the replay field-level even shows he's way past the 40 but they spot the ball on the 40; the line judge even runs onto the field at the right spot but then walks it back when he realizes it gives us a SY option; same judge both times??
  • I think that NY challenge is NY, but it's only by .5 yards and they often allow 4-5 Y halo violation... but it did give us the great Valesi line "was no-no yards" (which begs the question, were there yards then?)
  • Fenner getting picked on again; it's not that he's really bad, it's that we need to make teams think twice about picking on him, like making sure he has help
  • 4Q3:08 the shot of Chamblin & TOR ST coach praying to the heavens that the TD gets in; that ST coach looks like Quasimodo at that point
  • Probably the worst timeclock killing in the history of the Bombers; game was looooong
  • Fenner getting the late FR, gets good yards then runs into brick wall Holmes: ouch (but he doesn't fumble!) (note to self: run into any other player but an OLman)
  • MBT taking sideline etiquette lessons (vs water bottle) from the school of Maas

Special Note
If anyone can find a way to adjust against Hall, it's gotta be Chamblin.  After all, they did spend many years in SSK together and got the GC.  That's why I think TOR did so much better coming out of halftime.  Heck, didn't Chamblin also play for years with Lapo?   Could also be why he shut down WPG O in the 3rd.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2019, 10:16:03 AM »

Good playcalling from TOR OC to start the 3rd Q, good adjustments; and end of 3Q also; added more blockers, often 7 and 8 total! bought MBT time; Hall needs to counter!

In a game we were comfortably ahead, if T.O adds extra blockers etc. and we didn't adjust perhaps it was a calculated risk not to. Why show adjustments and different looks that gets on film when we didn't need to.
bowlerdude

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2019, 02:29:59 PM »

• I think that NY challenge is NY, but it's only by .5 yards and they often allow 4-5 Y halo violation... but it did give us the great Valesi line "was no-no yards" (which begs the question, were there yards then?)

I didn't re-watch the play, but I was actually shocked they didn't call no yards live, so I thought for sure they'd give it to him on the challenge. But I suppose they do allow some leeway as long as it's close, even on the review.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2019, 06:24:00 AM »

I didn't re-watch the play, but I was actually shocked they didn't call no yards live, so I thought for sure they'd give it to him on the challenge. But I suppose they do allow some leeway as long as it's close, even on the review.

I was the same.  Guy caught it live, I mumbled "no yards".  Guy challenged it, I mumbled "overturned".  Ref said sustained and I mumbled "refs must be on our side tonight".  I watched it closely after that in freeze frame and my official guess is 4.5 yards the moment he touches the ball.  If it's measured based on possession, not touching, maybe even 4 yards.  However, it really is that close, and buy the letter of the law of challenges, you don't overturn on "super close".

The official who first called it live must be superhuman or something to be able to discern what he did at game speed.  The gunners were coming down full speed.

In a game we were comfortably ahead, if T.O adds extra blockers etc. and we didn't adjust perhaps it was a calculated risk not to. Why show adjustments and different looks that gets on film when we didn't need to.

That's a great point.  But I have seen a couple of other (contested) games where we needed to stop an O in maxpro, and we couldn't do it then either.  We shall see if we're ever in a close game again, and a D goes maxpro.  I'm actually starting to think you don't try to match their blockers, instead you rush 3 and drop everyone into coverage and mess with their heads.  The 3 rushers will eventually get through (might take 10 seconds though).  I saw you have to overwhelm them at the line, or downfield.  But don't compromise by just matching them.
Pigskin

« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2019, 03:27:30 PM »

I think your wrong on possession. I think it's as soon as the player touches the ball. Many time the person returning the ball never has possession and there still is a 15 yard penalty.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »

It is based on touching (or first contact) of the ball in the air (or on the ground for the 5-yard variety). Not possession. If you needed to get possession, then any defender could stream roll the returner who would drop the ball and never have had possession in the technical sense.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2019, 05:53:22 AM »

I think your wrong on possession. I think it's as soon as the player touches the ball. Many time the person returning the ball never has possession and there still is a 15 yard penalty.

Ya, I know.  That's why I listed numbers for both.  I was 99% sure it was touching (hence why never-caught botched catches are live balls).  I was just trying to justify why the NY might not have been called.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: