Blue Bombers Forum
July 05, 2020, 08:40:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Infamous Anthem Singer  (Read 1361 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: July 16, 2019, 04:05:34 PM »

25 years ago Dennis Park is credited with singing the arguably most infamous "O Canada" anthem in history.

The following article contains the story and a link to his classic rendition.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/sports-columns/ron-kantowski/las-vegas-singer-reflects-on-tuneless-o-canada-25-years-later-1729929/amp/?fbclid=IwAR21ubvqsy2tMZvyjC9cv6Iyw8bxYEEaLFbTlB7CFvU5Bs6gsqupajWJgrg&__twitter_impression=true

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 04:16:54 PM »

Suffering mother of pearl.   All we need is Wayne Newton's avatar cranking up the hand-driven fire alarm at the finale.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 06:29:21 PM by Old Rusty » Logged

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2019, 02:09:34 AM »

Good story

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TecnoGenius

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2019, 06:00:39 AM »

Ya, TSN often puts that clip and story in their 10 most embarrassing CFL moments show they air once in a while.

I think they also showed a short clip of his HAM redemption too.

ESPNC often shows the "X era" US CFL games, and it just strikes me as nuts.  What a fiasco.  Less fans in the stands than BMO.  Please let us never see the USA in the CFL again, unless it's just near-border cities like Fargo, Billings, etc, type of places (we can easily drive to), AND they have to have the same number of Canadians as everyone else.  Whoever thought allowing a team of all Americans in the CFL was fair was smoking something.  Of course, it's easiest if we just say no US teams ever again!

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2019, 08:49:21 AM »

American labor laws were what dictated the ratio for American teams back then.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
DM83

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:58:36 PM »

Actually teams in the Northern states, would be a decent idea.
Anywhere within an hour of the border.  Places that don't have  any major league sports.
Some corporate headquarters and 750,000 people or more
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 03:11:35 PM »

CFL expansion into the US probably won't happen ever again.

And maaaaaan, that anthem job was abhorrent.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
jeremy q public

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 03:26:17 PM »

Actually teams in the Northern states, would be a decent idea.
Anywhere within an hour of the border.  Places that don't have  any major league sports.
Some corporate headquarters and 750,000 people or more

This would be a decent idea if it weren't for the ratio problem with US labour laws. The ratio problem is a deal breaker. It should've been a deal breaker then, and it definitely is now that we've seen it play out.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 06:27:41 AM »

This would be a decent idea if it weren't for the ratio problem with US labour laws. The ratio problem is a deal breaker. It should've been a deal breaker then, and it definitely is now that we've seen it play out.

Oh, I never knew it was US laws that caused the X-era (non-)ratio.  I thought it was just because they had to have 7 "NATs", and NATs to an American means Americans.

If you can't force the normal ratio on US teams then there should never again be a US CFL team.

Oh well, makes for a nice thought experiment.

Never go full Rider!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 03:37:08 AM »

I think it would be really cool to have a CFL game in the states... like mentioned, having in one of the bordering states or so that don't have a real strong professional sports team presence... let it count as a road game on the schedule for both teams so they don't take a hit on a home game gate... I think it would be supported pretty well and the added exposure can't be a bad thing...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: