Blue Bombers Forum
July 19, 2019, 02:22:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Clock at the end of the half...  (Read 865 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: July 13, 2019, 12:21:07 PM »

I need some help...I was at the game and honestly thought the time keepers screwed up with not stopping the clock after Harris' long run and going out of bounds...then went home and watched the highlights on PVR and that play in particular - TSN alluded to it and there was a shot of MOS explaining something to Harris about him going out of bounds not going forward...Harris was upset and the TSN crew said nothing as the half was over...the replays to me looked like he was going forward when he went out of bounds..

I still think the clock should not have started until the snap of the next play but it started running before that.
jeremy q public

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:44:02 PM »

Hmm. I thought MOS might be scolding him for going out of bounds awkwardly. As in, it looked like an injury prone fall as he fought for more yards and I thought maybe MOS is trying to get his players to play smarter to avoid injury. But this explanation seems just as likely, if not more so.
Waffler

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:18:12 PM »

Also not sure where the clock went but Bombers did not complain. So there must be a legit reason.  Wish I knew what it was.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 02:42:23 PM »

There were 24 seconds on the clock after Harri's run. We didn't manage the clock very well. Didn't get off the next play until 11 seconds were gone. The meant we settled for a FG when there should have been enough time to have an opportunity for a TD.

In a close game that's a mistake you don't want to make.

No more excuses.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 02:46:11 PM »

There were 24 seconds on the clock after Harri's run. We didn't manage the clock very well. Didn't get off the next play until 11 seconds were gone. The meant we settled for a FG when there should have been enough time to have an opportunity for a TD.

my point was that i think the clock should have stopped until the snap of the ball because harris went out of bounds...MOS was explaining something about going backwards out of bounds...TSN didn't elaborate either...
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 02:49:36 PM »

Seen this before with MOS.  Agree.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Pigskin

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »

Just watched that part of the game and it looks like he was talking with Matt and Andrew. I think he was just reminding AH to take what you can and get out of bounds.
bunker

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:42:49 PM »

I need some help...I was at the game and honestly thought the time keepers screwed up with not stopping the clock after Harris' long run and going out of bounds...then went home and watched the highlights on PVR and that play in particular - TSN alluded to it and there was a shot of MOS explaining something to Harris about him going out of bounds not going forward...Harris was upset and the TSN crew said nothing as the half was over...the replays to me looked like he was going forward when he went out of bounds..

I still think the clock should not have started until the snap of the next play but it started running before that.
I wondered about this also. I found this on the net:

The game clock stops when a ball carrier goes out of bounds maintaining forward momentum. The game clock continues if the ball carrier's forward momentum is stopped in bounds before he goes out of bounds.

If you listen to what O'Shea says to Harris after on the sideline, he mentions something about Harris going backwards, and needing to go forwards (? to stop the clock). The only thing that does not add up is that Harris did appear to be maintaining forward momentum when he was knocked out of bounds. Odd play, maybe someone could ask this on the coach's show. Luckily, it did not matter to the end result.
bomb squad

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 06:43:22 PM »

At the end of the half, there were 2 runs by Harris where he went out of bounds. In both cases, he was going forward, or at the very least sideways, when he went out of bounds and the clock should have been stopped until the snap of the ball. Those were bad calls by the refs.

In fact, if they call it that way, it should actually be an obvious backwards push out. It clearly was not. This is the way I have seen this called for many years.  

Harris did nothing wrong. MOS will see that when he looks at the film and take his scolding back. The Bomber play callers did nothing wrong either as they thought the clock would be stopped, and rightly so. That's why they called a run instead of a pass the second time. It was the 2nd last run that hurt us. The last one didn't matter because we would have had only one play left anyway.
Blue In BC

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:50:04 PM »

my point was that i think the clock should have stopped until the snap of the ball because harris went out of bounds...MOS was explaining something about going backwards out of bounds...TSN didn't elaborate either...

I may re-watch it again. Didn't notice exactly when it started but there was a delay in snapping the ball as time was running down. It may have started before they went to LOS but we only needed another 5 or 6 seconds to have an extra play.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 10:26:31 AM »

I may re-watch it again. Didn't notice exactly when it started but there was a delay in snapping the ball as time was running down. It may have started before they went to LOS but we only needed another 5 or 6 seconds to have an extra play.

Zipp is 100% right.  The issue isn't their delay in snapping the ball.  We delayed in snapping the ball because we thought the clock was stopped!  Nichols is watching the play clock, not the time clock.

Everyone thought Harris was tackled OOB and the clock was stopped.  So they huddled and played like the clock was stopped.  Our team doesn't take 14s to snap when we are on tempo.  We do a play every 6s in tempo.  No, they for sure didn't know the clock was going.

I don't think even MOS thought the clock was going, because if he had, wouldn't he have called timeout?  I think he had some left.

The only possible explanation the refs could have is then Harris gets tackled and pushed OOB, does his left hand touch in-bounds before his left knee touches the sideline?  From the only 2 angles we got (basically the same angle, just different height), you can't see what hits first but it looks really darn close to me!  An angle from the handheld EZ cam they usually have would have been nice.

There is no way anyone can say, by the rule, that Harris' "forward momentum is stopped in bounds".  No way.  So it must be the left hand then.  It sure does sound like MOS is thinking that's what happened.  Listen closely after the loud mic'd part, MOS says: "you gotta make it look like you're going forwards".  So MOS does think it's because of forward momentum.  Guess he didn't see the hand or ask the refs what happened.  Maybe the best option would have been for Harris to jump/dive as that would guarantee all body parts land OOB.

Someone definitely should text/call Coach's Show to ask MOS, as he'll probably have clarification by then and be able to provide some useful info.

Definitely one of our worst displays of clock management in the last minute.  It's something we are best in the league at, and we botched it that time.  Cost us a likely 4 points.
TBURGESS

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 01:05:04 PM »

The team shouldn't 'think the clock is stopped'. They should know. Watch the ref and see if he rotates his arm or not (I can't remember if he did or if it's on TV). Rotating the arm signifies the clock keeps running.

Being right never gets old.
bomb squad

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 02:06:39 PM »

The team shouldn't 'think the clock is stopped'. They should know. Watch the ref and see if he rotates his arm or not (I can't remember if he did or if it's on TV). Rotating the arm signifies the clock keeps running.

If that's the only way it works then that's a flaw in the conduct of the game that needs to be changed. Both teams should be informed definitively if it's a whistle in or on the snap clock start for the next play. This should be done immediately after the previous play ends. If it's an incomplete pass, then there's no doubt. But in the case though, the push out of bounds, it's a judgement call by the refs that is grey. Having to wait to see what the referee signals while the teams are preparing the next play is too late and for lack of a better word, dumb. This has no place in today's game. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 02:11:16 PM by bomb squad » Logged
TBURGESS

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 02:43:55 PM »

If that's the only way it works then that's a flaw in the conduct of the game that needs to be changed. Both teams should be informed definitively if it's a whistle in or on the snap clock start for the next play. This should be done immediately after the previous play ends. If it's an incomplete pass, then there's no doubt. But in the case though, the push out of bounds, it's a judgement call by the refs that is grey. Having to wait to see what the referee signals while the teams are preparing the next play is too late and for lack of a better word, dumb. This has no place in today's game. 
You think they should stop the game to go over to both sidelines to tell the coaches? I don't. The ref makes the call and the signal and the game goes on. The coaches know that and they can relay it to the QB's helmet.

My guess is that the ref called that Harris' hand was down in the field of play so the clock runs. Assuming he gave the correct signal, he did his job right.

Being right never gets old.
bomb squad

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 03:15:22 PM »

You think they should stop the game to go over to both sidelines to tell the coaches? I don't. The ref makes the call and the signal and the game goes on. The coaches know that and they can relay it to the QB's helmet.

My guess is that the ref called that Harris' hand was down in the field of play so the clock runs. Assuming he gave the correct signal, he did his job right.

No need for that, just give a preliminary signal.

If it was his hand that was down, then he's not down.

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: