Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:16:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: GDT Harri Eskies at Fancy Hat Fat Cats  (Read 1501 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:01 PM »

A nod to both starting QBs on thread title.

Should be a barn burner!

A BC win will keep Edm off our heals so. Go coach a good game gangsta look coach BOUY.

Burner Burnham is back.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:49:19 AM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 01:24:15 AM »

BC is finally figuring out that you can't have a viable passing game without a running game too...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
elder

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 01:34:47 AM »

The B.C. defense sucks.
bunker

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 01:46:53 AM »

Their pass protection is pretty bad as well.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 01:55:51 AM »

Rielly is getting killed!

He is not gonna make it to LD.

elder

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 01:57:33 AM »

I don?t think it?s going to be a very competitive game.
TrueBlue75

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 01:58:19 AM »

BC?s offensive line is baaaad! And I love it Grin
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 01:59:17 AM »

I don?t think it?s going to be a very competitive game.
it might just turn out to be a clunker or easy Edm win.

Lots of BB fans took BC. Not me. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:00:50 AM by GOLDMEMBER » Logged

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 02:04:50 AM »

Maybe if Claybrooks lost the gangsta gangsta look his team would play more disciplined.

4 mins to go in the half and I am sure they have more penalty yards than offensive yards gained.

dd

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:09:31 AM »

BC?s offensive line is baaaad! And I love it Grin
Yeah, yes they are!! To make troubles worse, their play calling is terrible.2 nd and long with a plutons offensive line and you send all your receivers on deep patterns with no short or intermediate routes?they are setting themselves up to fail!! Man when your Qb is getting burried because your O line sucks, and they?re rising the house, screen pass it man!!! That?s JV football baby!!!
elder

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 02:16:01 AM »

Willis does it again.
elder

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 02:17:30 AM »

Good challenge.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 02:19:36 AM »

Stupid play decision by Willis. Correction.. overturned.

thunderNlightning

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 02:20:29 AM »

MR isn?t going to last long this season behind that awful o line out there.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 02:22:14 AM »

Harris knocked out

For how long?

dd

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 02:25:43 AM »

MR isn?t going to last long this season behind that awful o line out there.
Dead man walking!!

BC s O line is the worst in the league
thunderNlightning

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 02:30:25 AM »

Harris knocked out

For how long?

Looked ok walking off field after he took knee. I expect to see him back to start 3rd quarter.
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 02:51:13 AM »

BREAKING NEWS:  BC Sux.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
bunker

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 02:52:31 AM »

Great catch by Daniels. BC looks terrible on both sides of the ball. If you're going to pay your QB 700k+, you better be able to scout cheap Import talent like Calgary and Edmonton seem to have done.
elder

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2019, 03:08:21 AM »

The Lions have absolutely no imagination on offence.
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2019, 03:09:03 AM »

Only Week 5 but it would be interesting to check the preseason prediction thread and all the hype for BC.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:04 AM »

Reilly isn't worth half of what they're paying him.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2019, 03:31:55 AM »

I wonder if BC payed allll that money for Reilly and expected they could field a competitive roster...

If BC tanks this season, wonder if it will affect what GM'S pay for marquee FA QB's in the future....cause it should based on what we are seeing so far.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
bunker

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2019, 03:52:31 AM »

I wonder if BC payed allll that money for Reilly and expected they could field a competitive roster...

If BC tanks this season, wonder if it will affect what GM'S pay for marquee FA QB's in the future....cause it should based on what we are seeing so far.
It might although Calgary is paying BLM only 50,000 less this year and is very competitive. Also depends on the coaching and how good the GM is in finding talent to fill out the roster.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2019, 03:56:29 AM »

Wonder what Reilly is thinking about his move now.  I realize money was involved in his move to BC, but is it worth the punishment he is getting?  Based on what we saw tonight can't see how there will be any immediate improvement.   Even Sukh Chungh didn't help much but it wasn't entirely his fault.  Enough blame to go around.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2019, 04:05:16 AM »

It might although Calgary is paying BLM only 50,000 less this year and is very competitive. Also depends on the coaching and how good the GM is in finding talent to fill out the roster.

True, but Cal hasn't played us or EDM yet, BC has played both.

Anyways, BC is a **** storm right now.

Dodge and Burn

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2019, 04:07:33 AM »

Wonder what Reilly is thinking about his move now.  I realize money was involved in his move to BC, but is it worth the punishment he is getting?  Based on what we saw tonight can't see how there will be any immediate improvement.   Even Sukh Chungh didn't help much but it wasn't entirely his fault.  Enough blame to go around.

Idk, hes won a cup, prolly his last contract...

But the extreme competitor he is, you would think hes pretty pissed off at the results so far.

dd

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2019, 04:09:00 AM »

I ll thinking he?s probably thinking he made the mistake of his career. BC is absolutely dreadful and I don?t see that changing anytime soon.

I wonder if Reilly?s contract is guaranteed?? If/when he gets injured, what does he get paid??

Looking to be the most disasterous roster moves in recent  CFL history. Wonder how long before you cut Duron carter, getting a ton of cash to do nothing.

Does hervey last the season??

What a mess?-love it!!!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:10:48 AM by dd » Logged
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2019, 04:20:40 AM »

I ll thinking he?s probably thinking he made the mistake of his career. BC is absolutely dreadful and I don?t see that changing anytime soon.

I wonder if Reilly?s contract is guaranteed?? If/when he gets injured, what does he get paid??

Looking to be the most disasterous roster moves in recent  CFL history. Wonder how long before you cut Duron carter, getting a ton of cash to do nothing.

Does hervey last the season??

What a mess?-love it!!!

He wouldn't be the first guy to use his last contact to get payed at the expense of winning.

Not say MR13 did this, but it has happened....and errrrr, is...

ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2019, 04:27:57 AM »

Perhaps the bigger question is...will he last the season?  He is getting punished in every game.  He has little protection and a suspect offence overall.  I know he is tough but he is human.  And he does appear to be upset.. I think everything in BC football land can be called into question.

Having said that, I hope the Lions can find some answers soon.  It can only help the league.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
kkc60

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2019, 04:28:35 AM »

BC punted or lost so many veteran figures: Elimimian, Arcenaux, J.Johnson, Lumbala, Rainey, Lulay, Benson and Olafioye the big ones. And it's hard starting a team from scratch with a rookie HC, no matter how good or bad he is. But really they're a team with no clear leader anywhere, besides Reilly and maybe Lee
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 04:29:07 AM »

They should have saved their money and gone all Import on the O-line.
kkc60

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 04:30:03 AM »

He wouldn't be the first guy to use his last contact to get payed at the expense of winning.

Not say MR13 did this, but it has happened....and errrrr, is...

It's the CFL. Its not like the NFL where taking a discount is as easy to do. I don't think Reilly is necessarily the problem. I think all the leaders they lost is what hurts
kkc60

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 04:30:51 AM »

They should have saved their money and gone all Import on the O-line.
Chungh is a run blocker. He has never been a very good pass blocker. He just isn't a scheme fit
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 04:33:11 AM »

BC punted or lost so many veteran figures: Elimimian, Arcenaux, J.Johnson, Lumbala, Rainey, Lulay, Benson and Olafioye the big ones. And it's hard starting a team from scratch with a rookie HC, no matter how good or bad he is. But really they're a team with no clear leader anywhere, besides Reilly and maybe Lee

Over the last few years they've also let a very good secondary slip away, they're scattered throughout the league playing well for their new teams. 
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 04:45:40 AM »

It's the CFL. Its not like the NFL where taking a discount is as easy to do. I don't think Reilly is necessarily the problem. I think all the leaders they lost is what hurts

If the market is gonna pay Reilly a big number, he should take it. Id never fault a pro football player for getting his bread.

In the CFL where a small cap is the reality, whats the top floor for a QB salary that still fields a competive roster?

Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 04:54:54 AM »

On the Lions post game show, it was suggested that Chungh looked better than he really is when playing in Winnipeg because he had Goossen on one side and Hardrick on the other side.

@Stats_Junkie
BlueInCgy

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 04:58:38 AM »

What a waste of an evening.  BC at their sucktastic best.  Reilly get destroyed on the regular.  Carter will be cut soon.

Edmonton on the other hand is a solid team.  Starting to think Maas is a better coach than I give him credit for.  Ellingson + Harris is a great combination.
kkc60

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 05:02:40 AM »

What a waste of an evening.  BC at their sucktastic best.  Reilly get destroyed on the regular.  Carter will be cut soon.

Edmonton on the other hand is a solid team.  Starting to think Maas is a better coach than I give him credit for.  Ellingson + Harris is a great combination.
Was Carter bad? I thought he seemed fine so far this year. Not spectacular but not much worse than other teams receivers
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 05:09:35 AM »

Players love playing for Maas.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2019, 09:01:35 AM »

Another awful game.  They had how many weeks to prepare for EDM's pass rush?  They had how many weeks to come up with some quick pass plays?  They had how many weeks to scout some new OL?

Pitiful.  I feel really sorry for MR13.  I really do.  How can you not like the guy?  He's the consummate (ex-) winner.  Loved by all his peers in the league.  Always voted "toughest" player.  You might be able to say BLM is as good as MR, but most non-CGYers hate BLM with his bravado and BS.

With a MR deep-pass game plan, you need a solid OL.  Need.  NEED.  N.E.E.D.  BC's OL looks like some set of losers from the East.  It's clearly not working, so blow it up!  Get out there and bring in some huge IMP tackles.  Like yesterday.  Are those tackles NATs?  I sure hope they are, because if those are IMPs then that OL is even more pathetic.  Do they have Chungh at RT or RG?  If RT, it's not working, guys!

Their OL is being manhandled and pushed back into MR every single play.  Maybe Chungh alone is holding his ground, but that makes them even worse because then holes open between RT and RG that delayed/stunt guys can exploit.  It's really disgusting.  Are the OL not supposed to be the 330lb beasts that are pushing back the puny DL?  Their OL are looking like they weigh what I weigh (which isn't much).  Sad.

Who here wouldn't agree that BC would have a better record today had they kept Jennings as #1 at a discount, pocketed $400k in savings, and bought a decent OL and RB (and D)?  I guarantee you they'd have more COMP's and yards and points.  Blowing up the wallet for MR has backfired and there is no going back now for 3 years unless they trade away MR or find some miracle cheap IMP OL.

But what do I care, as garbage BC and SSK guarantee we are in the playoffs and have a few easy West games this year.  It lets us focus all our energy on enemy #1: CGY.

Oh ya, did you see the horrible attendance at BC Place tonight?  Looked like half of what it was for the home opener.  After this awful shambolic display I expect next home game to be attended solely by crickets.  Not good for the CFL.

Only Week 5 but it would be interesting to check the preseason prediction thread and all the hype for BC.

OK:

Those putting BC in #1: Sir Blue and Gold, Zipp, Knocker42   <---- doh!

Those putting BC in #2/#3: Buck, GCn18, blue girl, Marshall, TBURGESS, Blue In Edmonton, RebusRankin, blueraid, BBRT, blue_or_die(2nd try), Tiger, New_Earth_Mud, dd, Jockitch, Lincoln Locomotive, Robbie, theaardvark

Those putting BC in #4/#5: 3rdand1.5, Horseman, Colton, SSC, bluebeard, Goldmember, 1chad, M.O.A.B., TecnoGenius, booch, heart of gold

So I think we'll all be shocked if BC ends up #1 in the W.  BC could still end middle of the pack so that was a safe bet.  With the current standings and apparent BC talent, guessing they are bottom-2 looks like the right bet so far.

Looking back, I'm a bit surprised so many had BC as bottom-2.  I remember a lot of people defending Claybrooks as the second coming.  So far I think 3-piece Benevedes could have done a better job in BC.

Over the last few years they've also let a very good secondary slip away, they're scattered throughout the league playing well for their new teams

By new teams, you mean WPG?  Our D is basically BC's D from 2 years ago.   Grin Grin Cheesy

On the Lions post game show, it was suggested that Chungh looked better than he really is when playing in Winnipeg because he had Goossen on one side and Hardrick on the other side.

Well of course Chungh is better when he's surrounded by good players!  So people are blasting Chungh for not being able to win on his own when he's the only one holding his ground?  That's rich.  The solution isn't to blame Chungh, the solution is to surround Chungh with good players.  To suggest Chungh was a turnstile that other players covered for is a load of baloney that every WPG fan will instantly detect.  If they don't like Chungh, we'll take him back if BC can pay $100k of his '19 SMS salary!  Wink

Love the euphemism.  Bang on.  DC very well may be cut.  He's simply useless.  How many passes from MR did he whiff on?  Not getting in the right place.  Not getting open.  Not trying hard enough.  Tired and whiny.  He botches that underthrow ball when he's wide open and he doesn't even care enough to hit the ground convincingly?  He just sits there and taps it with both fists.

BC may have to keep DC simply because they are stuck with nothing better.  But if there's one player MR hates right now, it's DC.  He's seething quietly to himself about DC.  He's seething every time DC's # is called for a pass.  You better believe MR is talking to Jarius about avoiding DC at all costs.  Everywhere DC goes he fails.  Will some desperate East team pick him up or is that it for DC?

As for Maas... nope, he's awful.  He seems good when he's winning, but when he's losing he loses his composure really fast.  EDM does have something clicking right now, but it's more of a default by not being as bad as BC & SSK (and the East).  I have no doubt we win the SS on EDM this year.

Was Carter bad? I thought he seemed fine so far this year. Not spectacular but not much worse than other teams receivers

No, not bad.  Awful.  Poor all year.  Remember, he's supposed to be the star receiver after Burnham.  He's at best MR's #4 or #5 now.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2019, 12:03:29 PM »

Chungh is a run blocker. He has never been a very good pass blocker. He just isn't a scheme fit
Now that you have mentioned that. Yes this was true when he was here.

Waffler

« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2019, 01:04:26 PM »

He seems disinterested. Talent still there. The whole BC team appears on the verge of giving up.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 01:07:10 PM »

He seems disinterested. Talent still there. The whole BC team appears on the verge of giving up.
So it's more of a "cut Carter because we don't like him" type of thing
3rdand1.5

« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 01:11:33 PM »

They talked about how Claybrroks didn't want to control guys indiviualities, and how he wanted to let his players show personalities. It seems to me that, that is how the team is playing... as individuals not as a team .
Blue In BC

« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 01:18:57 PM »

I'm meeting a hard core life long Eskimo ( and CFL  ) fan for lunch on Saturday. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks about the 2019 season so far. Not just about the game but I'd expect he'll have some well thought out opinions on each team etc.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2019, 01:37:32 PM »

Not for me. I absolutely hope the Lions hold on to Carter aaaaaalllll season long.
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2019, 01:43:23 PM »

Lions must be getting desperate. I'm expecting the airlift to start. There must be a few players that have played their last game in Vancouver.

Not sure what they can do with so many holes on their roster. Travis Bond is on the Esks PR so maybe they try and get him to improve their OL?

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2019, 01:53:01 PM »

I'll admit that I grossly over estimated BC going into the year. They currently look like the worst team in the West and just barely eked out a win against Toronto.

Every time TSN showed the all 24 shot, BC only had 1 receiver in the first 20 yards and all the rest deep. That's OK if your OL is giving the QB time, but disaster when it's made out of swiss cheese. Reilly got sacked on the 2nd play from scrimmage. Then BC lost their starting LT and the OL had to adjust. After that it was free shot on the QB all night long for Edmonton. Age old football wisdom is quick hitters, screens and draws to slow the blitz. I'd be looking for a new OC this week in BC or you might be looking for a new QB next week.

BC's defence played pretty well in the first half. Edmonton started drives on BC's side of the field and only got 3's. Once the second half started with the big play for a TD, they basically gave up IMO.

BC's special teams sucked too. Constantly giving up big returns.

Poor game. I was likely one of 3 or 4 non-Lions fans who watched it to the end. Hope tonight's game is better.

Being right never gets old.
rubanski

« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2019, 01:58:01 PM »

Bond isn't a terrible idea. Jeeze they need two new tackles while they're at it.

This team needs to start running the McAdoo offence. Ball control, extra blockers, small short stuff. Reilly is getting murdered.

As a coach, has Jurious Jackson ever ran a decent offence?
theaardvark

« Reply #50 on: July 12, 2019, 02:45:30 PM »

Reilly needs to start running for his life back there, they need to move the pocket... his big strength was mobility, have the OL cheat, let the DL leak around the back side and move Reilly the other direction...

But, lord, can they please get some OLine help... Edm has better guys on their PR, and there has to be someone out there, even someone like a Foketi, that can come in and help.  Hervey is going to get the highest paid player in the league killed...

And what is with the dropped balls?  They can't even pitch the ball without it hitting the carpet...  dropped passes aren't turnovers, most of the time, but dropped pitches are...   

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #51 on: July 12, 2019, 02:56:33 PM »

Carter's on pace to have, at best, a 700 yard season.  With Mike Reilly throwing him the ball.

Reilly's gonna get injured one of these games.  Edmonton sacked him what, 12 times in two games, and there were probably as many near misses.

Claybrooks biggest strength at this point is the challenge flag.  Unfortunately, that's only good for two plays a game.

Burnham's trying his best, but probably still a little nicked.

Oline makes the group that "protected" Pierce look like Division All Stars, and we know how that ended.

I feel bad for Reilly, honestly.  He cares, and he's failing.  I don't think the rest actually care.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #52 on: July 12, 2019, 03:30:45 PM »

Not at all, Carter is sucking badly, it's questionable whether he is even making an effort.
TBURGESS

« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2019, 03:32:47 PM »

The Lions have 99 problems and Carter is towards the bottom of the list. OC and OL are #1 and #2 on the list.

kkc60

« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2019, 03:34:20 PM »

Not at all, Carter is sucking badly, it's questionable whether he is even making an effort.
Well he has more catches and yards than  anyone we have. Of course he has one extra game, different QB and different OC (oh yeah and different team) but I can't help but think it's just the "team x is struggling. Let's blame it on Carter"
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »

Reilly needs to start running for his life back there, they need to move the pocket... his big strength was mobility, have the OL cheat, let the DL leak around the back side and move Reilly the other direction...

But, lord, can they please get some OLine help... Edm has better guys on their PR, and there has to be someone out there, even someone like a Foketi, that can come in and help.  Hervey is going to get the highest paid player in the league killed...

And what is with the dropped balls?  They can't even pitch the ball without it hitting the carpet...  dropped passes aren't turnovers, most of the time, but dropped pitches are...   

The obvious first step is to bring in 3 or 4 seasoned Imports to shore up their O-line, that's where the Bombers started rebuilding from 3 short years ago.  Right now the only Import they have is Figueroa who was replaced by Foucault when he went down early last night, leaving them with 5 Natl's across the board.  There are always a few good Import linemen kicking around who have been recently cut due to the ratio game that could help them out, including Foketi and Travis Bond currently sitting on the Esks. PR.  All Hervey has to do is hunt down recent cuts made by Wpg, Edm, and Cgy and he'll have a list of decent prospects. 
blue girl

« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2019, 03:36:33 PM »

I can't believe that I picked BC to finish in third. They sure had me fooled. And yes Carter is terrible. He's done nothing but yap all season.
kkc60

« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2019, 03:37:09 PM »

The Lions have 99 problems and Carter is towards the bottom of the list. OC and OL are #1 and #2 on the list.
I'm gonna agree with this. 24 for 204 in 4 games is 6 for 51 average. Our current leading receiver is Whithead with a 3 for 58 pace in 3 games. I'm not saying our receivers aren't good or Carter is better than all of them.Just that he doesn't seem to be the problem

Edit: I forgot BC is 2 games ahead of us. My bad!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 03:48:36 PM by kkc60 » Logged
kkc60

« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »

I can't believe that I picked BC to finish in third. They sure had me fooled. And yes Carter is terrible. He's done nothing but yap all season.
And have more yards than any of our receivers....and catch 11 more balls than our leader in catches (Harris). You guys need to move on from Carter. The "he talks.too much, he does this wrong and that wrong" complaining has been old.since 2016
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2019, 03:40:38 PM »

Well he has more catches and yards than  anyone we have. Of course he has one extra game, different QB and different OC (oh yeah and different team) but I can't help but think it's just the "team x is struggling. Let's blame it on Carter"

Are you actually watching these games?  It has nothing to do with liking him or not, Carter has received a lot of targets this season and has not produced, TSN even highlighted this fact last night.  7 targets 3 receptions for 27 yds.
kkc60

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2019, 03:42:35 PM »

Are you actually watching these games?  It has nothing to do with liking him or not, Carter has received a lot of targets this season and has not produced, TSN even highlighted this fact last night.  7 targets 3 receptions for 27 yds.
No haven't been. Which is what I said earlier. But he is still tied for second in receptions. Can't see them cutting him.

And don't say it's to do with liking him or not, there are some posters here that consistently have a bone to pick with him
BlueInCgy

« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2019, 03:44:21 PM »

I'm gonna agree with this. 24 for 204 in 4 games is 6 for 51 average. Our current leading receiver is Whithead with a 3 for 58 pace in 3 games. I'm not saying our receivers aren't good or Carter is better than all of them.Just that he doesn't seem to be the problem

Lions have 5 games played, Bombers have 3.  Woli's numbers projected over 5 games is 163 yards, Adams over 5 games is 213 yards, Demski over 5 games is 222 yards, Whitehead over 5 games is 290 yards. They all also have more touchdowns than Carter in 3 games vs 5, and they all play on a Run first offense as opposed to pass first.
bowlerdude

« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »

Well... actually, he has two more games, his team has attempted 168 passes to our 82, and he has 25 more targets than anyone on our team.

He's been a disaster... hardly the only problem in BC... but yes, he's been awful
Norm W

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 03:46:10 PM »

Totally agree with the above statement... Can't count the number of plays BC ran that had three receivers 30 yards downfield as the defensive line was coming down on top of Reilly like hard rain.  

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
kkc60

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2019, 03:46:47 PM »

Well... actually, he has two more games, his team has attempted 168 passes to our 82, and he has 25 more targets than anyone on our team.

He's been a disaster... hardly the only problem in BC... but yes, he's been awful
My bad. I forgot we haven't played this week Tongue

Regardless, I just don't think he is the big problem there. The offense as a whole seems to be
blue_or_die

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 04:32:53 PM »

I think what people are saying is that Carter is being paid to be a top player and for a struggling team who might be looking to make changes, an underperforming (although you're right that he's not bad) player with a high salary and curious locker room history would be a first target.

As for fans blindly hating on the guy, often irrationally...well yeah, he has kind of brought it on himself.
TBURGESS

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »

A bunch of Carters 'targets' are no where near him. Last night, he was open on the deep ball to the end zone and on the wide side all alone. Neither pass got to him.

dd

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2019, 04:46:08 PM »

BC has to fix their O line NOW, if they need cap space to do it, an underperforming WR could be traded to pickup a stud O lineman. The O line needs attention ASAP before Reilly is injured for the season
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:48:25 PM by dd » Logged
Norm W

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 04:48:04 PM »

From what I saw last night and the last time they played each other the problem lies in the offensive schemes. They are basing things on Reilly having time to drop back and have five steamboats... he's getting two, maybe three.  If they don't adjust and get the ball out of hands faster or find a way to give him the time its going to be more of the same, game in and game out. The problem isn't Carter.  

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
dd

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 04:53:06 PM »

Not saying the problem is carter, I m saying they have 2 stud receivers in carter and burnham, one has a history of attracting attention in all the wrong ways, he?s highly paid and also underperforming, they could afford to trade him for a stud O lineman to solidify things there. With all the pressure they?re getting it baffles me why they aren?t running more screen passes to slow the push down, or move the pocket. Sitting back and getting killed repeatedly is moronic. JV football coaches adapt better than this !!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 04:54:33 PM »

BC has to fix their O line NOW, if they need cap space to do it, an underperforming WR could be traded to pickup a stud O lineman. The O line needs attention ASAP before Reilly is injured for the season

The best place for Carter to wind up right now would probably be Calgary, though I don't know that they'd particularly want him (they do have a need for someone like him, though).  And I don't know they'd trade anything of value for a guy who has a history of getting cut in September.

Be interesting to see how the battle of basement goes over the next two weekends.  If either of those teams loses both those games, there will be some big changes coming, because they will almost be out of the playoffs at that point, as one of them will be either 1-6 or 1-5 at that point.  And honestly, I think the Rider D line is going to obliterate Reilly.

That being said, BC really got screwed on the bye weeks.  First one week 8, and the next one three weeks later.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 04:57:11 PM by BlueInCgy » Logged
bowlerdude

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:50 PM »

Nobody is trading a stud O-lineman for Carter.

Older American non-QBs don't have a lot of trade value anyway, and ... Carter was barely a 1000-yard receiver at the best of times and isn't playing near that level right now, negative attention seems to follow him around, and he's not cheap salary-wise.

BC doesn't suck just because Carter is there or anything, but on a struggling team, not living up to his contract, and probably having no trade value, I'd be kind of surprised if he doesn't find himself cut.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 05:34:31 PM »

From what I saw last night and the last time they played each other the problem lies in the offensive schemes. They are basing things on Reilly having time to drop back and have five steamboats... he's getting two, maybe three.  If they don't adjust and get the ball out of hands faster or find a way to give him the time its going to be more of the same, game in and game out. The problem isn't Carter.  

The couple of plays TSN highlighted were troubling, 3 receivers running 25 yds. down field and not even looking back, the two underneath blanket covered.  Jarious Jackson needs to be the first to go.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2019, 05:43:24 PM »

Nobody is trading a stud O-lineman for Carter.

Older American non-QBs don't have a lot of trade value anyway, and ... Carter was barely a 1000-yard receiver at the best of times and isn't playing near that level right now, negative attention seems to follow him around, and he's not cheap salary-wise.

BC doesn't suck just because Carter is there or anything, but on a struggling team, not living up to his contract, and probably having no trade value, I'd be kind of surprised if he doesn't find himself cut.

I'd be surprised if Carter is still being highly paid, I think those days are gone, now he signs with whichever team will take him and he's quickly running out of suitors. His only attribute was making big plays and circus catches, he doesn't have the physical toughness or courage to play inside like Woli and doesn't seem to be a great route runner making him at best a 4th or 5th option. 
bowlerdude

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »

I'd be surprised if Carter is still being highly paid, I think those days are gone, now he signs with whichever team will take him and he's quickly running out of suitors. His only attribute was making big plays and circus catches, he doesn't have the physical toughness or courage to play inside like Woli and doesn't seem to be a great route runner making him at best a 4th or 5th option. 

I mean he's certainly getting paid less than he was a few years ago. I assumed it would still be a moderate salary which is still kind of high for what he's bringing, but maybe his contract is fairly cheap. I agree with you though. He's nothing more than a #4 receiver at best at this point and BC is asking him to be a #2. Their receivers are really, really bad after Burnham.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #75 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:53 PM »

I mean he's certainly getting paid less than he was a few years ago. I assumed it would still be a moderate salary which is still kind of high for what he's bringing, but maybe his contract is fairly cheap. I agree with you though. He's nothing more than a #4 receiver at best at this point and BC is asking him to be a #2. Their receivers are really, really bad after Burnham.

Lemar Durant has been quite good this year. 24/34 for 313 yds. and 4 TD's.  I think the real problems lie with the Offensive game plan, not so much the personnel past the O-line.
Blue In BC

« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2019, 06:43:18 PM »

Lemar Durant has been quite good this year. 24/34 for 313 yds. and 4 TD's.  I think the real problems lie with the Offensive game plan, not so much the personnel past the O-line.

I don't think their OL personnel is very good. They also have not had continuity with changes nearly every week. One of their OL ( Foucault perhaps ) was injured last night. He may or may not be able to play next week?

Obviously their game plan is not very good. Too much reliance on deep patterns with no time for Reilly to wait for receivers to get open etc.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:26 PM »

I don't think their OL personnel is very good. They also have not had continuity with changes nearly every week. One of their OL ( Foucault perhaps ) was injured last night. He may or may not be able to play next week?

Obviously their game plan is not very good. Too much reliance on deep patterns with no time for Reilly to wait for receivers to get open etc.

Totally agree.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2019, 07:35:08 PM »

plus Chungh was being man handle. Especially the 1 quarter.

bunker

« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2019, 07:46:23 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/12/tackle-woes-in-vancouver-and-six-other-thoughts-on-the-lions-loss-to-the-eskimos/
Seems to agree with comments above, combination of poor blocking from O-line and backs, injury to left tackle, and poor play calling.
Is it my imagination, or is Reilly also more reluctant to leave the pocket and take off? He seemed much more elusive in previous years.
Pigskin

« Reply #80 on: July 12, 2019, 08:39:37 PM »

Claybrooke's mite want to go back to Calgary and coach D again.
Blue In BC

« Reply #81 on: July 12, 2019, 08:55:23 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2019/07/12/tackle-woes-in-vancouver-and-six-other-thoughts-on-the-lions-loss-to-the-eskimos/
Seems to agree with comments above, combination of poor blocking from O-line and backs, injury to left tackle, and poor play calling.
Is it my imagination, or is Reilly also more reluctant to leave the pocket and take off? He seemed much more elusive in previous years.

Reilly has been around long enough to know the injury risks running too often. He's paid to throw completions and win games, not dipsy doodle.

He's older and had a few injuries.

Noticed on TV that he was experiencing some throwing shoulder problems on the sidelines. That won't help. 12 sacks in 2 games against the Esks. If they lost their starting LT for next game he may suggest going fishing.

No more excuses.
RebusRankin

« Reply #82 on: July 12, 2019, 09:57:39 PM »

Bad OL in BC, not much in the receiving corps past Burnham and Durant, lousy playcalling.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #83 on: July 12, 2019, 10:08:56 PM »

Bad OL in BC, not much in the receiving corps past Burnham and Durant, lousy playcalling.

They have talent but they are playing as individuals not as a unit.
Blue In BC

« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2019, 10:11:32 PM »

We know that a team can start a season really badly and finish well. 2011 Lions.

I'm not saying this team is remotely similar in nature to that team which had talent and needed to come together. The 2019 Lions lack talent and that's much more difficult to find once the season has started. SMS bonus's paid out, big contracts signed etc.

Anyway. Lions play Riders back to back. One of those teams could literally be close to out of playoffs if there is a sweep.

Goes to show ( not surprisingly ) that a team with a perceived best QB can't do it all on his own. Reilly missed the playoffs in 2018 due to not enough supporting cast in Edmonton. He may be in the same situation this season.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2019, 10:14:14 PM »

They have talent but they are playing as individuals not as a unit.

OL isn't their only problem. It may not even be their biggest problem. Defense is a mess.

Many local fans think the OC and DC are the biggest and possibly insurmountable problems in 2019.

Talent may be weak but horrible play calling doesn't make things easier.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2019, 11:33:04 PM »

MBT can throw a decent long-ball and Walker can catch, I expect them to connect and break the Bombers TD shutout tonight, but only once.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #87 on: July 13, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »

Lions must be getting desperate. I'm expecting the airlift to start. There must be a few players that have played their last game in Vancouver.

Not sure what they can do with so many holes on their roster. Travis Bond is on the Esks PR so maybe they try and get him to improve their OL?

Bond's on the PR?  Jeeez... I might say sign him in WPG!!  Desjarlais isn't going to get it done if Yoshi is out.  When is Neufeld getting better?  We need some talent for the OTT game or we could be in trouble.

If we don't grab Bond, then BC is mental not to hire him immediately.  He's an instant upgrade, and him and Chungh can lift the others into respectability... perhaps.

And someone mentioned Foketi?  BC should snap up Foketi yesterday.  Anything is better than what they have now.

[DC]'s been a disaster... hardly the only problem in BC... but yes, he's been awful

The main thing is how does Mike Reilly feel about Carter.  All I see is game after game MR is livid with Carter.  Carter is not doing what he is supposed to.  He's half-a-ing it on routes, falling down, chickening out, and fake-pounding the ground.  I bet $750k MR has finagled some clout with Hervey and I think MR wants DC gone.  After OL, DC will be next to get the boot.  He can go back to selling weed at airports.

I think what people are saying is that Carter is being paid to be a top player and for a struggling team who might be looking to make changes, an underperforming (although you're right that he's not bad) player with a high salary and curious locker room history would be a first target.

That is key.  DC is not some cheap ELC you can coach up to stardom after 3 years.  DC is a big-bucks star receiver.  Guaranteed he's earning the 2nd highest WR salary in BC.

I'd be surprised if Carter is still being highly paid, I think those days are gone, now he signs with whichever team will take him and he's quickly running out of suitors.

Nope, he's getting paid $$.  Remember, DC is loaded rich from daddy's NFL residuals.  Carter only came to the CFL to get big bucks for his ego and some film to get into the NFL.  No way Carter plays for less than star salary because his ego wouldn't allow it.  Imagine if the other players found out he was only making $100k?  He'd never let that happen.  Better to go back to daddy.  So Carter is making at least $150k (probably $180k).  Sure, not as much as the dorks in MTL and SSK paid him when he hadn't proven useless yet.  But it's still big compared to most IMPs with so little production.
Blue In BC

« Reply #88 on: July 13, 2019, 01:01:50 PM »

Foketi retired otherwise he'd probably still be on our roster. Although he'd get to start in BC while he'd be an injury reserve in Winnipeg. Technically he's not available to the Lions.

I seem to recall someone mentioning that Chungh may have a partial tricep tear. That means the Lions could be without two of their starting OL from the last game.

It's all downhill from here for the Lions.

Cuts have to be coming and the airlift starting.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 01:25:21 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2019, 01:07:27 PM »

I'd bet that Carter is relatively cheap because he's done nothing for at least a year and because his personality has washed him out from several teams already. It was last chance time for Carter and you don't have to pay big for that kind of player.

If I were running BC, I'd take Bond off of Edmonton's PR and fire J Jackson today, even if it means promoting from within and giving a guy who has never been an OC before a chance.

Blue In BC

« Reply #90 on: July 13, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »

I'd bet that Carter is relatively cheap because he's done nothing for at least a year and because his personality has washed him out from several teams already. It was last chance time for Carter and you don't have to pay big for that kind of player.

If I were running BC, I'd take Bond off of Edmonton's PR and fire J Jackson today, even if it means promoting from within and giving a guy who has never been an OC before a chance.

I wonder if Lulay would make a good OC.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #91 on: July 13, 2019, 01:28:37 PM »

Couldn't be worse than Jackson IMO. Lulay was always a cerebral QB who put in the work. I'd give him a chance.

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2019, 02:55:37 PM »

Probably but it should be up to Claybrooks to decide who he wants to work with.
theaardvark

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2019, 03:24:33 PM »

Is Marcus Howell ready for OC duties? 

How does the FO SMS work for fired coaches?  I'm guessing their salary remains as part of the SMS, but because the position is open, you can hire a new coach. 

I understand how that works for players, and that it works for players because most of the players "fired" don't get paid any more game cheques, and their replacements are usually entry level, so even if they got a big signing bonus, SMS shouldn't be affected.  But if you fire a coach, who's contract is guaranteed, he still gets paid out of SMS...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2019, 03:32:18 PM »

Is Marcus Howell ready for OC duties? 

How does the FO SMS work for fired coaches?  I'm guessing their salary remains as part of the SMS, but because the position is open, you can hire a new coach. 

I understand how that works for players, and that it works for players because most of the players "fired" don't get paid any more game cheques, and their replacements are usually entry level, so even if they got a big signing bonus, SMS shouldn't be affected.  But if you fire a coach, who's contract is guaranteed, he still gets paid out of SMS...

Apparently teams are allowed one Mulligan, so they could fire Jackson and not have it count towards the coaches cap.
theaardvark

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2019, 03:33:26 PM »

Apparently teams are allowed one Mulligan, so they could fire Jackson and not have it count towards the coaches cap.

I guess that is the "Sherman rule"?

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: