Blue Bombers Forum
July 21, 2019, 06:31:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Earl Lunsford - And the Winnipeg Fungus  (Read 427 times)
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:23 PM »

I was looking at all the old GM's for the Bombers and ran across Earl Lunsford. Was it Lunsford that coined the term - Winnipeg Fungus? Or was it the coach during Lunsford's tenure (which might have been Ray Jauch)? I remember my brother-in- law mentioning it before I came to Canada.

Can anyone remember what it was all about? Just curious.
Horseman

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 01:05:32 PM »

Never heard of the Winnipeg Fungus and I was around during the Lunsford years.
BBRT

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »

Never heard of the Winnipeg Fungus and I was around during the Lunsford years.

Wow! that makes you as old as I am! Smiley I arrived in Winnipeg in 1981 but started following the Bombers in 1971 when I married a Winnipeg girl and we lived in Dallas! Smiley
Horseman

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »

Wow! that makes you as old as I am! Smiley I arrived in Winnipeg in 1981 but started following the Bombers in 1971 when I married a Winnipeg girl and we lived in Dallas! Smiley

Yep, I officially qualify as a "senior".
Do or Die

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 06:28:20 PM »

Could never understand Earl, half the time......speaking Okie and all..

"Common sense is not so common."
blue girl

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 08:57:01 PM »

The correct saying was "there's a fungus among us" but I can't remember if it was Lunsford or Jauch who said it. To be truthful I never heard the actual quote just sports reporters that repeated it.
BBRT

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:13:39 PM »

The correct saying was "there's a fungus among us" but I can't remember if it was Lunsford or Jauch who said it. To be truthful I never heard the actual quote just sports reporters that repeated it.

I went back to my brother-in-law who remembered the discussion and he said it was Ray Jauch that coined the expression - not sure who he was referring to. My brother-in-law was a friend of Bill Franks and both introduced me to my wife when I was in the Peg on business. Man that was 1971! Had a family BBQ going on and Bill Franks was over and knew most of my wife's family (he worked part time for my father-in-law). Guess that makes me a Bomber fan for around 48 years - Yikes!
winbear

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:50 PM »

At the time there was a song that had the words "there was a fungus among us"  If I remember correctly, it was Jauch who talked about the Wpg. fungus.  Lunsford had a great quote for when you had to dig deep and play your best.  He said it was time to grab grass and growl.
Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:02 PM »

I found an article about the Fungus in the September 27, 1979 edition of the Winnipeg Tribune

Jauch Believes Bomber Malady is the 'Fungus'

@Stats_Junkie
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: