Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:18:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall  (Read 1516 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2019, 09:01:24 PM »

I'd argue it's not the same core. Randle was our leader in the secondary, Loffler was an all-star safety and JSK was pretty good. Now to be fair there are upgrades on D and I'm not saying moving on from Randle and Loffler were bad moves.

Well I would prefer we win the GC. And again, it's not the same D. It just isn't. What happened last year is water under the bridge.

In 2018 we had Fogg, JSK B. Bryant and Sayles as new starters. Only Sayles is still with the team.

In 2019 Wilson, Richardson, Fenner, Hecht, Jefferson and Rose are new starters. It's a different team with arguably better talent overall than in 2018.

Edmonton as 27 of 46 players new to the team. As a team and on defense in particular they've gone from out of the playoffs to a very good team. Some new coaches as well.

A team can go from last to 1st in a season or vice versa.

Patience and continuity are not bad things but they are not the only thing that leads to success.

It can be expected in this era of the CFL that every team will experience many changes season to season. It's the new normal.

I think forecasters will suggest the Bombers are early favorites to make it to the Grey Cup. I agree.

Will I agree tomorrow or a week from now? Maybe. If I could predict who gets injured or for how long on each team I'd be winning lottery prizes.

Today is looking very good. That's all I know today. I expect it will still look good on Saturday after playing the Argos.

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2019, 10:09:46 PM »

Combined those 3 teams have won 5 of 10 games. Two of those teams have no running game. Ottawa has a QB with about 4 CFL starts.

So sure the result were good so far and that may continue. It's a little early to be beating our chests.

If it doesn't result in a Grey Cup appearance who will care? Will you still be preaching patience if that's the result?

Yes I will still say patience is key.  We have the opportunity to rival what Calgary has built with this core.  Not all about the cup for me.  I want it but also want consistency and entertaining football.  We have those things.  Calling I like I see it.  I see a great football team that has yet to be challenged.  Yup we will know by mid season.  Nothing wrong with being confident.

My ideal league has all teams with strong management, players and coaches.  I love parity and close games.  I also like tds lol

I don't want a cup, I want a dynasty.  This D and organization is getting close to that.  Been some lean years.  Looking for 10 good ones.  Couple cups is icing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 10:14:14 PM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
66 Chevelle

« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2019, 11:02:54 PM »

I think as a group here we tend to judge the defense more in a vacuum than we do the offense, or the team or league as a whole, and probably not unjustly so... in fact at times its hard not to...

it's no secret that we tend to give up a lot of yards... it's not a far leap to think that given up a lot of yards also leads to more red zone opportunities for your opponent and the law of averages say the more opportunities given the higher chance of scoring does exist...

but under the heading of "we win as a team and we lose as a team", I think it's fair to say that the defense gets viewed with a more critical eye... let's admit it, there are games that it has taken to the end of the game, coming away with a win, to actually see that the defense performed very well... it's the nature of the CFL...

after all, the CFL is billed as a pass happy, high scoring, exciting game...  so if we expand are view past an individual game and compare it also to the league as a whole, the results and expectations will probably level out, at least some...

because when you look at the 2018 season for the league as a whole, in 86 games (the reg season plus playoffs) teams scored 40 or more points 23 times, while during those same 86 games, teams scored 10 or fewer points only 13 times...

if you expand both the top and bottom ranges just a bit you find a little more balance... in 86 games, teams scored 35 or more points 30 times while teams that scored 14 or fewer points happened 26 times...

basically, teams are going to give up points in the CFL as it is hard to keep them from it... a lot of games tend to have a dominate performance by one side of the ball or other and if you judge our performance against what should be considered the norm from the league, while not perfect, we are doing a good job...

after all, our win loss record for the defense is identical to the win loss record of the offense... and the both can have a direct and immediate impact on the others performance on any given night or game...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:05:04 PM by 66 Chevelle » Logged

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2019, 07:56:57 AM »

The D changed the way they were playing late last year. MOS wanted more pressure and the D to become more aggressive. Hall had to change his game plan. It worked well late last season and is still working well this season.

This was rumoured, but as far as I remember, no one "official" every confirmed its veracity.  By "official", I mean Tait or Bob or MOS.  I think the closest we got to that was some TSN guy tweeting.  That's not good enough for me.

The rumour could have been made up by people with an agenda against Hall.  With that mindset, Hall can't win.  If the D fails, it's Hall's fault.  If the D succeeds, it's MOS's influence.  It's actually rather ridiculous.

So until it's confirmed by those who really are involved, I'd take it with a very heavy grain of salt.
kkc60

« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »

Yes I will still say patience is key.  We have the opportunity to rival what Calgary has built with this core.  Not all about the cup for me.  I want it but also want consistency and entertaining football.  We have those things.  Calling I like I see it.  I see a great football team that has yet to be challenged.  Yup we will know by mid season.  Nothing wrong with being confident.

My ideal league has all teams with strong management, players and coaches.  I love parity and close games.  I also like tds lol

I don't want a cup, I want a dynasty.  This D and organization is getting close to that.  Been some lean years.  Looking for 10 good ones.  Couple cups is icing.
Patience is key. Be patient before anointing any defence or any team #1 anything. Because we are 3 games in.

Also, you do realize for it to actually be a dynasty we have to win some cups right?
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »

I don't disagree with any of that.

No more excuses.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2019, 01:28:24 PM »

lordy. Lets start with 1 cup win first!

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
TBURGESS

« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2019, 01:35:30 PM »

When I was down on the field in 1990 congratulating the team for their GC win, I never suspected it would be so long before feeling that elation again. Hopefully it happens again this year.

Being right never gets old.
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »

Courtesy of the WPG Sun;

SLAMMING THE DOOR

Most Consecutive Games No Offensive TDs Allowed, CFL
5, Saskatchewan, 1963
4, Edmonton, 1959
3, by several teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2, eight times: 2019, 2005, 1985, 1981, 1979, 1973, 1970, 1966

Most Consecutive Quarters No Offensive TDs Allowed, Winnipeg
13, 1966
12, 1985
10, 1979
9, three times: 2019, 1981, 1970
(courtesy CFL statistician Steve Daniel)

These stats are broken.  How can the most consecutive quarters without a TD be 13 but games is 5?  By definition 5 games would mean 20 quarters.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2019, 03:06:08 PM »

These stats are broken.  How can the most consecutive quarters without a TD be 13 but games is 5?  By definition 5 games would mean 20 quarters.

I think you're reading it wrong.  Most games by a Bomber team without an offensive TD is 2, most quarters is thirteen.  The math works as follows (as an example)

Game 1 - TD scored in first quarter (3 quarters no TD)
Game 2 - No TD (7 quarters no TD)
Game 3 - No TD (11 quarters no TD)
Game 4 - TD scored in third quarter (13 quarters no TD)

5 games no TDs is by the Riders, not the Bombers.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2019, 03:12:19 PM »

This was rumoured, but as far as I remember, no one "official" every confirmed its veracity.  By "official", I mean Tait or Bob or MOS.  I think the closest we got to that was some TSN guy tweeting.  That's not good enough for me.

The rumour could have been made up by people with an agenda against Hall.  With that mindset, Hall can't win.  If the D fails, it's Hall's fault.  If the D succeeds, it's MOS's influence.  It's actually rather ridiculous.

So until it's confirmed by those who really are involved, I'd take it with a very heavy grain of salt.

Well said my friend.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
bowlerdude

« Reply #71 on: July 12, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »

The most consecutive quarters stat was for Bombers teams only
rubanski

« Reply #72 on: July 12, 2019, 04:31:19 PM »

The most consecutive quarters stat was for Bombers teams only

Also, times were so tough in the fifties that could only afford to quarters per game...    Grin Grin
Norm W

« Reply #73 on: July 12, 2019, 04:33:30 PM »

Just make the math a tad fuzzier... I believe the record we are discussing is "offensive" touchdowns... not P/K returns, pick 6's etc

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
dd

« Reply #74 on: July 12, 2019, 04:42:37 PM »

Woah there nelly, one step at a time. Let?s work on getting our first cup first then sorry about things after that.

As others have mentioned, in today?s CFL, you can go from worst to first a heartbeat (see Toronto s recent G.C. victory) and then from first to worst in the next heartbeat?see Toronto again. Everyone wrote off the eskies when they lost Reilly and look at them, they are in the top 3 of the league where BC is bottom 3 with their high priced Qb soon to be injured via their porous O Line.

Calgary would be the closest thing to a dynasty and despite racking up umpteen records and stats, they only have 1 cup to show for their last 5 years efforts.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: