Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2019, 10:22:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall  (Read 3273 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 01:32:16 PM »

One game at a time.

The "D" has benefited from their fair share of timely drops and incomplete passes, the single TD stat being touted as of late is as much the result of other teams shooting themselves in the foot as it is stellar defensive play by the Bombers. I think our pass rush has been better than in recent years, not a ton of sacks but good steady pressure. The run defence looks to be pretty solid so far but I'm not ready to give the entire unit the "lights out" handle that is being tossed around.

Not buying the bend, don't break philosophy... it's not sustainable over an 18 game season, its simply putting lipstick on a pig in front of the media. If a bend don't break defence actually exists i.e. turn it on or turn it off on command... Why not keep it turned on and actually be that shutdown defence all the time?

It's nice to be doing well early in the season. I want to see what the end of the season brings for the Bombers.

The beginning and middle are just part of the journey to the goal.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 03:44:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blueraid

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 01:44:26 PM »

The last line in the previous post says it all.....Show me a Cup in 2019 and I'll become a Ritchie Hall believer...till then....
bowlerdude

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 02:05:27 PM »

I've always thought it's just been a philosophy that sometimes is more effective than it is pretty. I really don't expect that to have changed much. It'd be nice if our players are better this year and it results in less yardage against but bottom line is, the philosophy probably hasn't changed and as long as they keep the points off the board, it's effective.

Regarding our secondary, though..

Our defense is as follows against the pass:
2nd in yards per pass against
3rd in completion percentage against
2nd in QB rating against
3rd in opponent 30+ yard completions against
2nd in opponent 20+ air yard completions against (20+ yards before YAC)

And we've played both Harris and Reilly while Calgary and Hamilton, the only teams with statistically similar secondaries, have played exactly one good QB between them in seven games (CGY: Davis, Reilly and Fajardo/Harker; HAM: Fajardo/Harker, Franklin/MBT, Adams x2).

Yes, it's early, and the pressure is obviously helping with that but I don't even think that pressure has been consistently there, certainly not in the first game of the season. But statistically, we have a very compelling case for having the best secondary in the league. I'd say Calgary first, but that's what the stats say.

Suggesting our secondary isn't very good feels like an overreaction to allowing 345 yards to a really good QB (and it took him 54 attempts to do it and still didn't result in a TD). Receivers get open sometimes, it's their jobs and the rules of football are heavily in their favour nowadays.
BigBomberFan

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 09:43:36 PM »

I'll admit to being harsh on Hall in the past, and wanting him gone. I'm happy to say that I was wrong--I don't want to see anyone fired, I just want them to do their job. He's done a great job ever since mid way or so last year, and dare I say that when Nichols was struggling, Hall's defenses kept us in those games. One offensive TD allowed in three games--two of them against Reilly and Harris--is phenomenal.

Hall admittedly did have some sub-par players in the past. Sam Hurl comes to mind at MLB, and there were some remnants even from the Etcheverry days that he did have to deal with. Having an All Star like Bighill certainly goes a long way, and you could say that the success lies on just having better players, but with some of the explosion plays that were happening in past years, one has to wonder whether it was the DB's that weren't doing their job properly. Injuries to key players (Ian Wild; seemingly always injured) meant a lack of continuity, and some players that weren't well disciplined that took a lot of penalties didn't help.

One thing that seems to be pointing towards the effectiveness of Hall's schemes, is that we lost Loffler and replaced him with Hecht, but from what I've seen, Hecht has done a great job so far.

This squad has also done a great job of not taking excessive penalties--the other teams have taken far more penalties than us this year, and we can see how that costs a team. Also, having few two and outs and extending drives goes a long way, too--the D can be better rested and the mental acuity isn't being killed by fatigue. When Willy was here, those two and outs were killing us.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »

One game at a time.
It's nice to be doing well early in the season. I want to see what the end of the season brings for the Bombers.

The beginning and middle are just part of the journey to the goal.

Amen! this is how I see it - let's see where things stand at the 1/2 point and toward the end of the season. Really IMHO too early to jump on the Hall bandwagon.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 09:49:27 PM »

The last line in the previous post says it all.....Show me a Cup in 2019 and I'll become a Ritchie Hall believer...till then....

True Dat! - Show me the money so to speak!
dd

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 10:19:25 PM »

Let?s keep in mind that offences take longer to get on track than defences, but that said, our D has played well, Willie Jefferson and our front 4 are for real and we played both mike really and trevor harris led offenses and have done well.

Still, nobody has ever won a grey cup in July, let?s see how we re doing come October but here?s hoping we maintain the level of play!!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 11:53:03 PM »

I think we got the best defense. Even better than Calgary.
PloenFan

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »

Our defence has played well against fairly good teams in BC, Edmonton and Ottawa, so perhaps we're ready to take on the high-scoring Hamilton offence, as well as Calgary, where Arbuckle has looked pretty good.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2019, 01:37:04 AM »

I am not ready to name a street after Ritchie Hall just yet. The D's success comes from the front 7, our DL especially Jefferson has been pressuring the QB's making them throw quicker which has resulted in some poor throws or missed targets. Our DB's on the other hand are a different story, teams are able to pass against our DB's as their receivers are getting open. This still falls on Hall to correct, if he does not the wheels may fall off on our D at some point. Praise to our front 7, but not impressed with our secondary. Hall is not out of the woods yet, lets see how the rest of the season goes before all is forgiven for the 4 previous horrendous years.

Yeah last year our D was horrendous.... right.  Yourconsistency on the anti Hall front is well documented.
He is a good coach.  He doesn't choose the players for our secondary and his schemes are working.  Agree the front 7 is great but give Hall some credit geez.
Courtesy of the WPG Sun;

SLAMMING THE DOOR

Most Consecutive Games No Offensive TDs Allowed, CFL
5, Saskatchewan, 1963
4, Edmonton, 1959
3, by several teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2, eight times: 2019, 2005, 1985, 1981, 1979, 1973, 1970, 1966

Most Consecutive Quarters No Offensive TDs Allowed, Winnipeg
13, 1966
12, 1985
10, 1979
9, three times: 2019, 1981, 1970
(courtesy CFL statistician Steve Daniel)
This D will break records.  It's that good.  Hall is big part of that.
So, credit where credit is due, and I have turned eat Crow. I was part of the group who was not terribly impressed with Hall as late as halfway through last season. However, now it seems like everyone is calling us a defensive juggernaut. He's done a great job since halfway through last season. We only have one defensive touchdown given up this year. I'm glad they didn't give him the boot when we all wanted it. Well done Richie!

Props for admitting that.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 01:39:42 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2019, 01:38:21 AM »

I think we got the best defense. Even better than Calgary.

Best yes but Calgary's D is below average.

Dodge and Burn

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2019, 04:49:07 AM »

I'll give them their due. They've played great so far this year, but there's still a lot more bad than good with Richie Hall's defences.

1 TD in 3 games and there is more wrong than good? Comical.

Talent trumps all, we have alot in the right places on D. Hall is a good DC with the right personal, like any competent pro coordinator. 

Hall hasn't changed much over his time here but the talent has. Full stop. Our boys are are playing good as they should. We are pretty stacked on D.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
66 Chevelle

« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2019, 05:38:04 AM »

week 18 last year his defense held the Riders to a shut out, something that hadn't been done since 2006...  13 seasons...

I don't know if his scheme is hard to understand for players or what the deal is but is seemed like we had to go through so many players to finally arrive with a group that can get the job done... but at times, they still seem to give a lot of yards... but, as long as we're winning all is good..

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2019, 08:21:51 AM »

1) I always liked and supported Hall; lost faith only once for 1 week after he lost like 5 games in a row for us; but I've consistently been Hall's greatest forum supporter and took a ton of flack a few years ago for it

2) WPG is the #1 D in CFL right now; no joke

3) Talent makes all the difference; we have the best talent hands down

4) DBs aren't weak: they are above average; watch opposing QBs closely, like T.Harris and D.Davis, in our games; when we get extreme pressure or sacks, it's because the receivers are all well covered and QB is afraid to throw; this is happening a ton lately; DBs are not the best in the CFL, but combined with the 7 they are very effective

5) I would put forth that our current D is much better than the D Hall won a GC in SSK with!  We have the right tools.  If the O gets it done, no reason Hall can't win a GC with us this year.
pjrocksmb

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

1 TD in 3 games and there is more wrong than good? Comical.

Talent trumps all, we have alot in the right places on D. Hall is a good DC with the right personal, like any competent pro coordinator. 

Hall hasn't changed much over his time here but the talent has. Full stop. Our boys are are playing good as they should. We are pretty stacked on D.

Great post.  So many on here will never come around.  They were do hard on Hall and just can't admit that he is better than they thought.  A round of humble pie would help.  Props to those that turned the corner.

Dear Mr
 Tburg.....More bad than good eh? Yeah that one Td proves change is needed!  Classic.  This D is as good as we have had in at least 10 years.  Patience pays off.
1) I always liked and supported Hall; lost faith only once for 1 week after he lost like 5 games in a row for us; but I've consistently been Hall's greatest forum supporter and took a ton of flack a few years ago for it

2) WPG is the #1 D in CFL right now; no joke

3) Talent makes all the difference; we have the best talent hands down

4) DBs aren't weak: they are above average; watch opposing QBs closely, like T.Harris and D.Davis, in our games; when we get extreme pressure or sacks, it's because the receivers are all well covered and QB is afraid to throw; this is happening a ton lately; DBs are not the best in the CFL, but combined with the 7 they are very effective

5) I would put forth that our current D is much better than the D Hall won a GC in SSK with!  We have the right tools.  If the O gets it done, no reason Hall can't win a GC with us this year.

Read the above.  Truth is spoken.  You have be patient with this team and its paid off.

#1d.  Thank you.  This team is amazing to watch.  Enjoy the ride my friends.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:56:17 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: