Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:21:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Richie Hall  (Read 1518 times)
bludan

« on: July 10, 2019, 02:32:02 AM »

So, credit where credit is due, and I have turned eat Crow. I was part of the group who was not terribly impressed with Hall as late as halfway through last season. However, now it seems like everyone is calling us a defensive juggernaut. He's done a great job since halfway through last season. We only have one defensive touchdown given up this year. I'm glad they didn't give him the boot when we all wanted it. Well done Richie!
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 03:56:46 AM »

So far so good this season. I pray it continues the entire year.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
RicoBeBlue

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 04:03:14 AM »

I have to admit I wasn't all that hyped about some of what was going on with the D either. I'm just an armchair, beer drinking CFL loving smuck.
Like any team it takes time to build what they have in mind. Sometimes it works, most times someone is fired. We have seen parts of a good D over the last few years and this year seems like they have (for the most part) the right pieces. Can't be easy being a coach in a nine team league with eighteen game each.
 I think we are getting big pressure with 4 on the line. Bighill and the middle have been amazing. I think they may need to tweak the corners but they haven't really hurt the team, yet. Over all Hall's game planning has been very good so far and we are 3-0. It's not only due to D but more a team effort which is even better. JM2C

Some drink deeply from the river of knowledge. Others only gargle. : Woody Allen
66 Chevelle

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:51 AM »

Hall falls under the category of 'winning fixes everything'... lose a couple of games back to back and everyone will be wanting his head on a stick again, lol... it's the nature of the beast...

but even the harshest of Hall critics has to be impressed with the our 2019 defense only allowing 1 offensive touchdown thru 3 games though...

my advice to Hall would be, just keep winning, baby!  Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2019, 05:15:17 AM »

Always had confidence in Hall... O shea is what surprised me..
DM83

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2019, 06:13:18 AM »

The d Is showing pressure every down.
Rushing more than four most times
And playing a lot more man
And have better athletes as Defensive backs

rubanski

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »

Who knows where the blame entirely lies, but Hall gave us 4, count em 4 seasons of crappy defensive play. I'm just not willing to admit keeping him for that long is suddenly a good decision because of three games.

I suppose things seemed better last year when MOS claimed he was getting more involved in the D.

Credit where credit is due, looking fantastic, glad he's here (this year only), and the D haven't allowed a TD in 2 games.

The BB record is 2 games.

The CFL record is 5 games by the 1963 Riders.
rubanski

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 12:40:26 PM »

Courtesy of the WPG Sun;

SLAMMING THE DOOR

Most Consecutive Games No Offensive TDs Allowed, CFL
5, Saskatchewan, 1963
4, Edmonton, 1959
3, by several teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2, eight times: 2019, 2005, 1985, 1981, 1979, 1973, 1970, 1966

Most Consecutive Quarters No Offensive TDs Allowed, Winnipeg
13, 1966
12, 1985
10, 1979
9, three times: 2019, 1981, 1970
(courtesy CFL statistician Steve Daniel)
John T.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2019, 12:43:33 PM »

Who knows where the blame entirely lies, but Hall gave us 4, count em 4 seasons of crappy defensive play. I'm just not willing to admit keeping him for that long is suddenly a good decision because of three games.

Actually, it was more like less-than-optimum players gave us 4, count em 4 seasons of [sometimes] crappy defensive play.

It's funny how the right players can make a coach seem like he's finally figured it out, and the wrong players can turn a genius into an idiot.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2019, 12:43:40 PM »

Richie Hall deserves credit for sure. I was a constant doubter but the unit is playing very well this year. One thing to keep in mind is that he only has one Canadian to deal with and that has set him up to be very successful. We are getting a lot of pressure with our front four, and I suppose Walters needs to get a pat on the back for that as well. It's not as hard to call a successful defense when you don't have to blitz to get pressure.
Horseman

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2019, 12:46:53 PM »

I am not ready to name a street after Ritchie Hall just yet. The D's success comes from the front 7, our DL especially Jefferson has been pressuring the QB's making them throw quicker which has resulted in some poor throws or missed targets. Our DB's on the other hand are a different story, teams are able to pass against our DB's as their receivers are getting open. This still falls on Hall to correct, if he does not the wheels may fall off on our D at some point. Praise to our front 7, but not impressed with our secondary. Hall is not out of the woods yet, lets see how the rest of the season goes before all is forgiven for the 4 previous horrendous years.
Norm W

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

I'll say it... I'm not getting on the Hall band wagon just yet.

Yes, I'll agree with the mob and say the points against look good on the Bombers right now... however the fact remains they tend to give a ton of yards. Can't count the numbers of times they have had the opposition in 2nd and long and then play 10 yards off the line giving up an easy 2nd down conversion, allowing the chains to move and drive to continue.

The "D" has benefited from their fair share of timely drops and incomplete passes, the single TD stat being touted as of late is as much the result of other teams shooting themselves in the foot as it is stellar defensive play by the Bombers. I think our pass rush has been better than in recent years, not a ton of sacks but good steady pressure. The run defence looks to be pretty solid so far but I'm not ready to give the entire unit the "lights out" handle that is being tossed around.

Not buying the bend, don't break philosophy... it's not sustainable over an 18 game season, its simply putting lipstick on a pig in front of the media. If a bend don't break defence actually exists i.e. turn it on or turn it off on command... Why not keep it turned on and actually be that shutdown defence all the time?

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
TBURGESS

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2019, 12:56:43 PM »

I'll give them their due. They've played great so far this year, but there's still a lot more bad than good with Richie Hall's defences.

Being right never gets old.
bludan

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 12:57:53 PM »

Things didn't just start getting better this year. Our defense also looked phenomenal for the last half of the season last year. I agree that our secondary is suspect, but with a cap, you can't have it all. The blitz philosophy has allowed our secondary to get by, and covering deficiencies is exactly what you want in a good day.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2019, 01:18:43 PM »

Courtesy of the WPG Sun;

SLAMMING THE DOOR

Most Consecutive Games No Offensive TDs Allowed, CFL
5, Saskatchewan, 1963
4, Edmonton, 1959
3, by several teams

Winnipeg Blue Bombers
2, eight times: 2019, 2005, 1985, 1981, 1979, 1973, 1970, 1966

Most Consecutive Quarters No Offensive TDs Allowed, Winnipeg
13, 1966
12, 1985
10, 1979
9, three times: 2019, 1981, 1970
(courtesy CFL statistician Steve Daniel)

So if we shut Toronto out from the end zone, we set a new team record.  Nice.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: