Blue Bombers Forum
July 21, 2019, 06:33:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesday?s practice??  (Read 1094 times)
NewBlue

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2019, 07:12:57 PM »

I could care less how many reg season games/stats CM gets...as long as he shows up in the playoffs & gets us a Grey Cup.
kkc60

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2019, 07:27:28 PM »

I know MOS and KW spoke highly of Briggs after they took him. Then it seemed they just used him on STs. Whether he was or is another Hurl or actually good I suppose we may never know. But I've said it before, I don't have much faith in MOS and his staffs ability to properly develop draft picks
blue_or_die

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2019, 07:43:12 PM »

Hurl wasn't ready either. Besides O'Shea who can really say Briggs is ready? While he played well in his game that's a very small sample. Ottawa only had the ball for 20 minutes. Defense gets some credit for limiting Ottawa's time but so does our offense for staying on the field.

If you recall prior to TC and during TC the season Hurl started at MLB I stated starting Hurl was a terrible mistake. I probably complained about it after every game.  So it's hardly hindsight or revisionist.

You're right that Hurl wasn't ready either, which is kind of my point. We had the option of starting better WIL than Briggs (especially Briggs of a few years past, I would imagine), but not better MLB, especially considering we were in a ratio bind. So it was desperation.

Again, full credit to Briggs for what he did last week. My commentary isn't a slag on him, but I am sort of taking a shot at O'Shea for being a boy who cried wolf through his time here, where he pumps a player whether he is that good or not and so us as fans can't necessarily take him for his word. That's all.

My comment about hindsight was addressed to BlueinBC and was regarding his comment on what he would have done with a Hurl-Briggs choice; i.e. in hindsight.
bunker

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2019, 07:54:30 PM »

I would take any commentary from O'Shea about Briggs with a large grain of salt. His commentary on players to the public and media has much more to do with managing his players and the locker room than a realistic assessment of the players ability and role.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2019, 08:09:43 PM »

You're right that Hurl wasn't ready either, which is kind of my point. We had the option of starting better WIL than Briggs (especially Briggs of a few years past, I would imagine), but not better MLB, especially considering we were in a ratio bind. So it was desperation.

Again, full credit to Briggs for what he did last week. My commentary isn't a slag on him, but I am sort of taking a shot at O'Shea for being a boy who cried wolf through his time here, where he pumps a player whether he is that good or not and so us as fans can't necessarily take him for his word. That's all.

My comment about hindsight was addressed to BlueinBC and was regarding his comment on what he would have done with a Hurl-Briggs choice; i.e. in hindsight.

In 2017 when Hurl started at MLB we could have put JSK, Wild at MLB or K. Knox there instead. That would have allowed a Canadian at WIL. So we did have other choices.

Even a field CB might have been less of a problem choice.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2019, 08:10:31 PM »

Well not really trying to make any solid points here but I think we've seen in the last 4-5 years that WIL has become a real position for playmakers, from Wild and Bass through JSK and Wilson they expect more from the position than what a place-holder can bring.  Maybe that's the difference between the best Import they can find and the Natl. they just happened to draft, one can be a competent player while the other can be a game-changer.
Blue In BC

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2019, 08:16:28 PM »

Well not really trying to make any solid points here but I think we've seen in the last 4-5 years that WIL has become a real position for playmakers, from Wild and Bass through JSK and Wilson they expect more from the position than what a place-holder can bring.  Maybe that's the difference between the best Import they can find and the Natl. they just happened to draft, one can be a competent player while the other can be a game-changer.

Part of that is due to not having had a solid MLB before 2018. Players like Bighill and Elimimian ( in his prime ) tend to be all over the field and involved in what seems like every play.

That's harder to do at WIL but you can still be a big play maker, just not as much as MLB.

Bighill had 105 DT's and JSK had 82 last year. Both were impressive stats.

Regarding Briggs: IMO if Bighill and Wilson are both healthy then Briggs won't start. If he was actually a better choice he would still start. That doesn't make him a bad player just not the one that will beat out import choices.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 08:19:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2019, 08:47:24 PM »

Part of that is due to not having had a solid MLB before 2018. Players like Bighill and Elimimian ( in his prime ) tend to be all over the field and involved in what seems like every play.

That's harder to do at WIL but you can still be a big play maker, just not as much as MLB.

Bighill had 105 DT's and JSK had 82 last year. Both were impressive stats.

Regarding Briggs: IMO if Bighill and Wilson are both healthy then Briggs won't start. If he was actually a better choice he would still start. That doesn't make him a bad player just not the one that will beat out import choices.

I should have been more specific but was thinking about contributing QB sacks, Wild, Bass and JSK were very good at rushing the QB, Knox had 6 sacks to Bighills 4 last season.  I don't know how often they will ask that from Wilson considering the strong pass rush they have this year.
Blue In BC

« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2019, 08:59:42 PM »

I should have been more specific but was thinking about contributing QB sacks, Wild, Bass and JSK were very good at rushing the QB, Knox had 6 sacks to Bighills 4 last season.  I don't know how often they will ask that from Wilson considering the strong pass rush they have this year.

Those players also accounted for int's, tipped passes, forced fumbles and tackles for losses. So there are many stats to consider. Even covering a receiver forcing a QB to make another choice or into a bad throw etc.

Lots to consider.

While Wilson has not looked bad or appeared to have made any mistakes, I'm not sure yet whether he'll be the play maker those others were.

Sample is still small but he hasn't seemed out of place and he's playing on a defense with more play makers than we've had in the past so to speak.

Looking for a bigger game against the Argos for him to shine and take the spotlight.

No more excuses.
thunderNlightning

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2019, 12:05:25 PM »

Following Wednesday?s practice MOS said Bighill didn?t practice again and my feeling is he won?t play Friday the way O?Shea kind of delayed any answer when asked then said he will be a game time decision.
blue_or_die

« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2019, 12:18:39 PM »

In 2017 when Hurl started at MLB we could have put JSK, Wild at MLB or K. Knox there instead. That would have allowed a Canadian at WIL. So we did have other choices.

Even a field CB might have been less of a problem choice.

Yeah but that's assuming 2017 Jesse Briggs was better than Sam Hurl. I know you really dislike Hurl, but I seriously doubt he was worse than Briggs back then, even considering MLB is a more important position to fill.

Anyway, it's all conjecture.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 12:21:06 PM by blue_or_die » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2019, 12:20:45 PM »

Following Wednesday?s practice MOS said Bighill didn?t practice again and my feeling is he won?t play Friday the way O?Shea kind of delayed any answer when asked then said he will be a game time decision.

I'm good with this. With a lingering injury like a hammy, coupled with a fact that we are playing a tire fire AND have shown our depth can bring it last week, conditions are perfect to get Adam to 100%. We need to think long term here.
Horseman

« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 01:03:14 PM »

Hamstring injuries are tricky, you may feel fine and run okay in practice, but in the game, when you are exerting yourself 100%, you can tweak the hamstring and now it becomes a season long nagging injury. It is better to give Biggie more time now than have this happen.
bigbuff33

« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »

Don't mess with a hamstring...when you think it's better...give it still a few more days.

We need Biggy for the whole season, not just one game.
Blue In BC

« Reply #44 on: July 11, 2019, 01:11:43 PM »

Yeah but that's assuming 2017 Jesse Briggs was better than Sam Hurl. I know you really dislike Hurl, but I seriously doubt he was worse than Briggs back then, even considering MLB is a more important position to fill.

Anyway, it's all conjecture.

Yes it's conjecture. Just basing it on a possible combination that would have been less harmful than Hurl at MLB.

Considering the O'Shea is now pumping the tires of Briggs, did he get " better " during the course of 2018 while not starting or getting many defensive reps? He only has a total of 20 DT's in 90 CFL games. 3 were in 2018.

I don't know if that helps prove my opinion or helps disprove it.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: