Blue Bombers Forum
July 21, 2019, 06:29:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesday?s practice??  (Read 1091 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

It's been a flukey start for CM in terms of injuries. When he's 100% he will play like he's 100% and no doubt light it up.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 04:49:32 PM »

No doubt he has been Bowman-y so far.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
GCn18

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 04:58:07 PM »

Matthews is absolutely nothing like Bowman so far. He had a fantastic 60 yard catch vs. BC that was called back due to penalty and has only played a total of 4Q. It is not his fault he got injured reaching out for a very poorly thrown ball.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 05:21:31 PM »

I found O'Shea's comments regarding Jesse Briggs in yesterdays interview interesting, he sort of admitted that they've probably held him back and maybe should have given him an opportunity to start a few years ago.  Briggs has been playing for the Bombers since 2014 making his mark on ST, I think it's odd that O'Shea shows little awareness of his responsibility not only to develop these players but also reward them with the opportunity to advance their careers when they have earned their shot. 

Who knows if Briggs was given playing time earlier on in his career he may have been able to sustain a journeyman career as a starter across the league like Hecht has.
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 05:24:53 PM »

I found O'Shea's comments regarding Jesse Briggs in yesterdays interview interesting, he sort of admitted that they've probably held him back and maybe should have given him an opportunity to start a few years ago.  Briggs has been playing for the Bombers since 2014 making his mark on ST, I think it's odd that O'Shea shows little awareness of his responsibility not only to develop these players but also reward them with the opportunity to advance their careers when they have earned their shot. 

Who knows if Briggs was given playing time earlier on in his career he may have been able to sustain a journeyman career as a starter across the league like Hecht has.

The question is always whether the import competition is better than the Canadian or whether a forced ratio decision is made. IE: Hurl for example.

Hecht has never been a long term starter during his career. So I don't know if that applies in the comparison.Winnipeg is his 4th team in his 9th season and 117 games.

Jones is in his 6th season 90 games all with Winnipeg. Was he better than Bass, K. Knox Wild, JSK or Wilson at any time during his career? IIRC this was his first start.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:29:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Dodge and Burn

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 05:27:25 PM »

Part of falls on the position coaches as well. MOS cant be evaluating every player on the team.

If Briggs has been ready to start, why/was this brought up in meetings by the LB/DC coaches?

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
GCn18

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 05:28:07 PM »

Who would you have sat down in order to get Briggs starting time at WIL? Just because Briggs could have started does not mean he was our best option. Earlier in his career he was simply not as developed as he is now and in the last couple years he simply is not as good as JSK or Wilson at WIL.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:35:14 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 05:50:15 PM »

Who would you have sat down in order to get Briggs starting time at WIL? Just because Briggs could have started does not mean he was our best option. Earlier in his career he was simply not as developed as he is now and in the last couple years he simply is not as good as JSK or Wilson at WIL.

Well given the choice I would have sat Hurl for an import and had Briggs at WIL. MLB is a much more critical position on defense and that would have been my preferred option.

As I said at the time, the coaches decided Hurl was going to start at MLB and no real competition was done to start an import.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 06:06:16 PM »

Good question but not as straightforward as it seems.  They brought in at least 4 WIL LB's to compete for the open spot this TC, was Briggs even in on the reps. or was he off somewhere chasing punts?  It really becomes a question of ratio and where they are going to locate their Natl. players.  I heard an interview with Walters last off-season and he spoke as if there are fixed positions to play Natl's. and fixed positions to play Imports.  Perhaps it did not matter how good or bad Conteh was at CB, the only job opening for a Natl. was going to be at Safety as it was already predetermined. 

I just think O'Shea should be a little bit more aware of the power he has over these player's careers and at least give them some serious playing time anytime games are already in hand as a reward for their service.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:14:48 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
blue_or_die

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 06:06:59 PM »

I definitely would doubt O'Shea's sincerity in what you're reading into. He's pumping the tires of a Canadian LB- his favourite thing in the world. Absolute credit to Briggs' performance last week...but starting? A few years ago? I don't think so...

I think he did an admirable job filling in at a spot when called upon where we have had strengths (Bass, Wild, JSK, Wilson) and where we have spent many years developing him to do such a thing.

Well given the choice I would have sat Hurl for an import and had Briggs at WIL. MLB is a much more critical position on defense and that would have been my preferred option.

As I said at the time, the coaches decided Hurl was going to start at MLB and no real competition was done to start an import.

But when Hurl played here, Briggs was probably nowhere ready to be on the field full time. If he was and we had a reasonably good import MLB in-house (I don't believe we did), then I would support your hindsighted approach.

The Hurl experiment was complete desperation IMO.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 06:21:33 PM »

The question is always whether the import competition is better than the Canadian or whether a forced ratio decision is made. IE: Hurl for example.

Hecht has never been a long term starter during his career. So I don't know if that applies in the comparison.Winnipeg is his 4th team in his 9th season and 117 games.

Jones is in his 6th season 90 games all with Winnipeg. Was he better than Bass, K. Knox Wild, JSK or Wilson at any time during his career? IIRC this was his first start.

Hecht may have bounced around but he has started games in every location he has landed, at least as an injury replacement, many more starts than Briggs anyway.  These starts are the result of a coach inserting him into the lineup and not filling the spot immediately with another Import pulled off the PR.

Last paragraph, do you mean Briggs?

Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 06:47:47 PM »

Hecht may have bounced around but he has started games in every location he has landed, at least as an injury replacement, many more starts than Briggs anyway.  These starts are the result of a coach inserting him into the lineup and not filling the spot immediately with another Import pulled off the PR.

Last paragraph, do you mean Briggs?

Yes I meant Briggs. The point about Hecht is that he didn't really earn the starting role, he was an emergency ratio consideration.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:53:16 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 06:49:49 PM »

I definitely would doubt O'Shea's sincerity in what you're reading into. He's pumping the tires of a Canadian LB- his favourite thing in the world. Absolute credit to Briggs' performance last week...but starting? A few years ago? I don't think so...

I think he did an admirable job filling in at a spot when called upon where we have had strengths (Bass, Wild, JSK, Wilson) and where we have spent many years developing him to do such a thing.

But when Hurl played here, Briggs was probably nowhere ready to be on the field full time. If he was and we had a reasonably good import MLB in-house (I don't believe we did), then I would support your hindsighted approach.

The Hurl experiment was complete desperation IMO.

Hurl wasn't ready either. Besides O'Shea who can really say Briggs is ready? While he played well in his game that's a very small sample. Ottawa only had the ball for 20 minutes. Defense gets some credit for limiting Ottawa's time but so does our offense for staying on the field.

If you recall prior to TC and during TC the season Hurl started at MLB I stated starting Hurl was a terrible mistake. I probably complained about it after every game.  So it's hardly hindsight or revisionist.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:52:08 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »

No doubt he has been Bowman-y so far.

Negative.  He came in and has been hurt.  Too easy to judge him in anyway. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
TheHypnotoad

TOAD KNOWS

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »

Mathews will lead the team in yardage at the end of the year, guarentee it

TOAD KNOWS
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: