Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:18:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Redblacks make some changes after being destroyed...  (Read 921 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: July 08, 2019, 02:49:32 PM »

https://ottawasun.com/sports/football/cfl/ottawa-redblacks/redblacks-sign-jeff-knox-jr-release-three-including-ryan-lankford/amp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Some out there in RNation were calling for sweeping changes in the wake of Friday?s 29-14 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

The Redblacks did make some moves Monday, but don?t look for anything major before Saturday?s home game against the Montreal Alouettes

The Redblacks have signed linebackers Jeff Knox Jr. and Jerod Fernandez and released receiver/kick returner Ryan Lankford, defensive lineman Blaine Woodson and defensive back Ranthony Texada.

Friday, Lankford was in the middle of a big special teams gaffe with less than 11 minutes remaining and the Redblacks down by just eight points. With Lankford waiting for a Justin Medlock punt to bounce into the end zone for a single point, the kicker raced downfield and punched the ball out of bounds, giving the Bombers possession at the Redblacks four-yard line. A touchdown put a quick stop to any hopes the Redblacks had of winning the game.

?It became a function of not having the value we felt we needed in the return game,? said Redblacks GM Marcel Desjardins. ?We need to be better.?

Knox Jr., 27, has CFL experience with Saskatchewan and Toronto (he was a division all-star with the Roughriders) and has had NFL looks from Tampa Bay, Washington and Tennessee. Fernandez was with Calgary in training camp.

?We?ve been looking at having more depth at the linebacker position since we broke camp, that?s why we decided to make a couple of moves with guys on the practice roster,? said Desjardins. ?It?s all about depth and special teams bodies.

?It wasn?t a function of a guy who had been there, done that. It was a function of bringing in guys we think can come in, get acclimated to the practice roster first, then potentially step in and help us ?initially on teams, then maybe on defence at some point.?

Desjardins said the team ?liked? both Woodson and Texada. ?It?s the nature of the beast,? he said. ?We have American D-tackles, we have a number of them here, the same with American DBs. You need coverage at all positions. Unfortunately, those are the two guys we felt we could remove from the practice roster ? not because of anything they haven?t done, but because we need to have better balance on the practice roster.?

Asked about the loss to the Bombers, Desjardins said: ?It?s not that Winnipeg didn?t deserve to win, but it?s disappointing we made it pretty easy for them ? the big play on the second defensive snap, penalties, drops, turnovers? there were a lot of things you can control. It was nothing to do with compete level. It was about concentration and doing your job. Even some of the catches we made on second and long, we?re making the catch, but instead of quickly turning it up field, we?re trying to create something greater and we?re not getting to the sticks.?
Pigskin

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 02:54:44 PM »

Knox Jr. is a very good player. I am surprised that the Riders didn't try to sign this guy. He was very good when he was with the Riders.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:08:52 PM »

Riders probably would have gone after Knox, but they've got his money tied up in Solly.

Kinda surprised Lankford got the boot (no pun intended).  Yeah, it was a brainfart on his behalf, but it wasn't an uncommon play for a returner.  Many times I've seen a returner let the ball continue to bounce towards the defenders to get the no yards penalty (or have it hit a defender and get an interference penalty).  The fact that Medlock motored it downfield is a big exception, as most kickers don't try and actively get in the play, and most coaches don't want their kickers doing a full speed slide into a returner, as that's the kind of thing that gets kickers placed on the 6 game.
blue_or_die

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:15:31 PM »

The Lankford misplay was likely only the straw that broke the camel's back. He probably hasn't done much as a returner. After having watched him as a Bomber, he's pretty forgettable in terms of what he brings. No disrespect intended.
theaardvark

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »

I saw somewhere Lankford was a good Kick returner, but not a punt returner (as Medlock showed)...  maybe he should start concentrating on his kicking skills...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

Lankford is a great guy with a phenomenal attitude. It's unfortunate he's just not quite good enough.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 04:08:50 PM »

The Lankford misplay was likely only the straw that broke the camel's back. He probably hasn't done much as a returner. After having watched him as a Bomber, he's pretty forgettable in terms of what he brings. No disrespect intended.

Actually, his Ottawa numbers, though limited, were actually not that bad.  PR average of 11.9 yards/punt and KOR of 19.7 yards/kickoff.  Granted, small sample size for the season, but those are comparable to Logan or Rainey numbers.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 05:33:22 PM »

I saw somewhere Lankford was a good Kick returner, but not a punt returner (as Medlock showed)...  maybe he should start concentrating on his kicking skills...

Yes, Lankford is a very good kick returner but does not have the physicality needed to return punts.  The guy can fly.
bowlerdude

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 05:41:29 PM »

Lankford's all speed, no vision. Fine for a kick returner, doesn't get it done as a punt returner. His numbers in Ottawa are actually the opposite, but his career numbers tell the story. Not sure if Ottawa just wanted one guy to do both or what, but he never should've been returning punts. Knox is a pretty good LB, good signing
kkc60

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »

Yes, Lankford is a very good kick returner but does not have the physicality needed to return punts.  The guy can fly.
He also doesn't have a moves. He can fly but he can't make plays on his own a la Lucky Whitehead
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 12:22:11 AM »

He also doesn't have a moves. He can fly but he can't make plays on his own a la Lucky Whitehead

Also can't play receiver.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
66 Chevelle

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 01:01:13 AM »

feel bad for Lankford, after all he was a Bomber... love him or hate him, I thought that he played hard for the Bombers while here and from all accounts I've seen, team mates liked him and had nothing but good thing to say about him...

hope he lands on his feet, regardless of where life takes him next...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2019, 01:07:10 AM »

I other words Whitehead is quick as well as fast. There is a big difference. Whitehead can cut without losing speed Lankford does not have the hip/groin twitch ability to cut like a Roberts, Fynch, or a Whitehead.   

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2019, 01:22:05 AM »

I other words Whitehead is quick as well as fast. There is a big difference. Whitehead can cut without losing speed Lankford does not have the hip/groin twitch ability to cut like a Roberts, Fynch, or a Whitehead.   

yeah, Lankford looks more like be trying to navigate around a group of elderly folk standing in the isles at the grocery store chatting... Whitehead can accelerate so quickly, as appearing to lose any speed in making his cuts... I think part of the reason why, in addition to what you pointed out above, is it doesn't look to be thinking about his cuts, that they're instinctive, therefore not that herky jerky movement of being unsure if a whole exist or not...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2019, 05:35:08 AM »

OTT one step forward, two steps back.  Not sure they'll do better than Lankford at returns at this point; but Knox Jr is a step up for them.  The problem is they keep the chaos going and lose any continuity.  Luckily, the drop off to #3 in the East is so far, that OTT gets #2 by default.

Personally, I think OTT has a ton of SMS space and I wouldn't be surprised if big NFL cuts or something show up there mid-season.  Doens't help them with continuity though.

P.S. I think they wanted to fire Lankford since week 1, the botched play just provided a convenient excuse.  You don't fire a returner just for one botch that could happen to any player who hasn't studied the CFL rulebook.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: