Blue Bombers Forum
July 21, 2019, 06:33:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg Blue Bombers Transactions - July 8, 2019  (Read 1465 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2019, 05:11:29 AM »

Jones has actually been in on a fair number of D plays last couple of games.  That #0 stands out like a sore thumb.  I think they're getting him more involved, especially in rotation when D's getting tired, and special downs/schemes.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2019, 05:14:19 AM »

Our DBs are the weakest link right now... we need a new DB coach or better players.
DM83

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »

Huh! Our DBS are playing great!   I have coached the position since 1981, and those guys do a lot of things correctly.  They haven't surrendered. A passing TD in 8 quarters. Sheesh!
Horseman

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »

Huh! Our DBS are playing great!   I have coached the position since 1981, and those guys do a lot of things correctly.  They haven't surrendered. A passing TD in 8 quarters. Sheesh!

Our DB's are playing great?Huh?? If you really believe this, then I'm glad you don't coach for my football team. The D's success is due to our front 7 despite our DB's. Perhaps you need to make an appointment with your eye doctor. :-)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2019, 01:09:46 PM »

I think as always it works hand in hand with DL and DB. If I had the grade the areas I would say DL A and DB C+. I grade the DB lower because of the big yardage given up in the first 2 games. Much better last game though.

DM brings up great points while I think Horseman is overreacting.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2019, 01:15:51 PM »

Opposing receivers are going to make plays on any DB's - it happens...that is what makes football fun.  I don't think we have been consistently burnt at all.  It will happen though because the other team is trying and they have talent.  Derel Walker will make some plays on Friday - he is a great receiver and it doesn't mean our DB's are garbage and need to be replaced
DM83

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2019, 02:21:54 PM »

What is wrong with our DBs?
I personally would take Fenner out. I am trying to understand what they see in him as a Corner. I would play him as a Will LB or HB.  I think he is at his worst as a C.  He. Played 100% better last game.  I would anticipate Toronto will go after him, every time a first down is needed.

As noted, the other team's guys are Pros also!  They are going,to make some plays.  Furthermore, the DBs. Haven't given up many "explosion" plays, which in the CFL is literally unbelievable.

Congrats to our D-line and LBs and. The Def play calls.  All three opponent QBs looked nervous, anticipating pressure and sacks, so they didn't seem, to have a comfort level

Lastly our def team stats are exceptional after three games vs decent QBs. We have also been consistent with the execution and format of the defensive game plan.

So how, are our DBS poopy? I can't believe there are some dissenters.Smiley

bowlerdude

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2019, 02:24:22 PM »

Copied from the other thread, but

Our defense is as follows against the pass:
2nd in yards per pass against
3rd in completion percentage against
2nd in QB rating against
3rd in opponent 30+ yard completions against
2nd in opponent 20+ air yard completions against (20+ yards before YAC)

And we've played both Harris and Reilly while Calgary and Hamilton, the only teams with statistically similar secondaries, have played exactly one good QB between them in seven games (CGY: Davis, Reilly and Fajardo/Harker; HAM: Fajardo/Harker, Franklin/MBT, Adams x2).

Yes, it's early, and the pressure is obviously helping with that but I don't even think that pressure has been consistently there, certainly not in the first game of the season. But statistically, we have a very compelling case for having the best secondary in the league. I'd say Calgary first, but that's what the stats say.

Suggesting our secondary isn't very good feels like an overreaction to allowing 345 yards to a really good QB (and it took him 54 attempts to do it and still didn't result in a TD). Receivers get open sometimes, it's their jobs and the rules of football are heavily in their favour nowadays.

Our DBs are probably second best in the league right now. And frankly, apart from Fenner struggling the first two games (and he was very, very good in the third), I haven't seen anything that would contradict the numbers.
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2019, 03:41:29 PM »

What is wrong with our DBs?
I personally would take Fenner out. I am trying to understand what they see in him as a Corner. I would play him as a Will LB or HB.  I think he is at his worst as a C.  He. Played 100% better last game.  I would anticipate Toronto will go after him, every time a first down is needed.

As noted, the other team's guys are Pros also!  They are going,to make some plays.  Furthermore, the DBs. Haven't given up many "explosion" plays, which in the CFL is literally unbelievable.

Congrats to our D-line and LBs and. The Def play calls.  All three opponent QBs looked nervous, anticipating pressure and sacks, so they didn't seem, to have a comfort level

Lastly our def team stats are exceptional after three games vs decent QBs. We have also been consistent with the execution and format of the defensive game plan.

So how, are our DBS poopy? I can't believe there are some dissenters.Smiley

Not a good idea to move Fenner to HB. HB's see more activity than the wide side CB.  It's a more difficult position to play.

He needs to succeed at CB.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2019, 04:06:21 PM »

Our DBs were good last week. The 2 weeks prior, they were meh. Only gave up a TD but also gave up a lot of yards
GCn18

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2019, 06:12:54 PM »

Not a good idea to move Fenner to HB. HB's see more activity than the wide side CB.  It's a more difficult position to play.

He needs to succeed at CB.

Coaching DBs since 1981. You shouldn't question him. Everyone knows the best place to play an underperforming FC is to move him to HB against the other teams best receivers and where you will be targeted 4x as much, and you must play even tighter coverage because you don't have the benefit of a long throw to gain position back. Also, everyone knows your WIL should be way undersized for the position.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 06:15:37 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2019, 06:58:42 PM »

Coaching DBs since 1981. You shouldn't question him. Everyone knows the best place to play an underperforming FC is to move him to HB against the other teams best receivers and where you will be targeted 4x as much, and you must play even tighter coverage because you don't have the benefit of a long throw to gain position back. Also, everyone knows your WIL should be way undersized for the position.

Are you being serious or did you forget the sarcasm icon?

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2019, 06:59:51 PM »

Are you being serious or did you forget the sarcasm icon?

He didn't forget it; it wasn't necessary.
Blue In BC

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »

He didn't forget it; it wasn't necessary.

It's always necessary. Many a written statement is taken incorrectly.  I wouldn't have asked otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:23:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »

It's always necessary. Many a written statement is taken incorrectly.  I wouldn't have asked otherwise.

You should be able to just get it  Tongue
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: