Blue Bombers Forum
July 21, 2019, 06:28:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pre-game thread Argos at Blue Bombers  (Read 1663 times)
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« on: July 08, 2019, 12:27:34 PM »

4-0 would be super sweet! No brain farts and basically just keep doing what they are to better and the W will occur.

Couple huge questions marks like who plays? Matt, Biggie, Mathews, Briggs? Starting to run thin a LB.

Can Medlock clean his FG blip?

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pigskin

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 03:03:35 PM »

I agree basic football. Keep the stupid penalties in check, and don't turn over the ball.

Medlock missing 2 in one game, never mind 2 in a row. Looking for Medlock to bounce back with a big night at home. 
BlueInCgy

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 03:11:24 PM »

A meat and potatoes game plan should have this one won by halftime.  Doesn't need to be flashy, a stiff defense to keep them on 2 and outs and we should be good.

Medlock, like Harris last week, will bounce back.

Dress everyone we can, but let's keep the rotation going so that we can minimize injury exposure.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 03:12:13 PM »

Argos will be hungry...trap game for sure.

blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 03:12:36 PM »

I'm expecting/hoping that this one gets ugly early on.

Party @ IGF.
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 03:13:14 PM »

A trap game requires the opposition to have a modicum of talent and ability.
Norm W

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 03:19:36 PM »

A trap game requires the opposition to have a modicum of talent and ability.

... I can assure the guys on Toronto's roster and any other team in the CFL got there because of their football ability and skills. There are a ton of cliches and saying that could be applied... any given Sunday, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut etc... the attitude you just referenced is the one the Bombers need to avoid.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 03:26:40 PM by Norm W » Logged

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
theaardvark

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 03:24:20 PM »

Wild got 13 tackles last game... heck of a total, and says some not so good things about their D...

Trap game is a common mention in cases like this, as Hamilton found out last week... but at home, pretty sure we got this...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:09:22 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
DM83

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »

The Bombers are very effective.  Their execution is at a high level.
Toronto at best can put one foot ahead of the other.
This should be over by the 3/4 Mark.

Ideally we are all healed up, and are non-starters can gain some playing experience.
Actually wouldn't this be fun to watch Strevlor and Nelson get significant time.

Would this be a game where Nichols throws for 300 yards?

Whatever, lets enjoy watching. The defence keep Toronto under 200 yds offence!
Norm W

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 03:32:09 PM »

If I was giving them the locker room pre-game I would be reminding everybody to do up their chin straps, the other-side will be!

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue_or_die

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 03:49:28 PM »

... I can assure the guys on Toronto's roster and any other team in the CFL got there because of their football ability and skills. There are a ton of cliches and saying that could be applied... any given Sunday, even a blind squirrel finds an occasional nut etc... the attitude you just referenced is the one the Bombers need to avoid.

The Bombers **** well better not have that attitude or yes, they can find a way to lose.

Luckily I am a fan and not responsible for preparing for this game, and have watched Toronto this year and will stick with my assessment that while I'm sure individuals on that team have plenty of talent, their team lacks the fortitude to beat our team.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 03:51:16 PM »

Agreed, we can't take them too lightly, but reality is Toronto's scored a total of 38 points in three games, and haven't broken the 20 point mark yet.  Not saying it can't happen, but I'd venture to say that the Winnipeg D is the best D they've faced thus far.  Conversely, their D has given up 114 points.

Bombers need to start hot out of the gate, and then maintain, which is what they've done for the first three games.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 04:00:46 PM »

Bob Irving
‏ @BobIrvingCJOB
4m4 minutes ago

Matt Nichols IS practicing, all appears to be well after the shot to the head in Ottawa.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
gobombersgo

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2019, 05:05:51 PM »

Darrin Bauming, TSN.   @DarrinBauming
Day 1 of practice and Chris Matthews' pinky and ring fingers heavily wrapped as he watches on. Bighill (hamstring) and Gaitor are also spectators. Matt Nichols looks like himself after being forced out of Friday's game in the third quarter, entering the CFL's concussion protocol.

Kenny Lawler in for Chris Matthews today. Marcus Rios is also down, so with him and Gaitor out today, it's Chris Humes at dimeback. #Bombers

Pigskin

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2019, 05:12:02 PM »

Ian Wild is a good football player. The problem with Ian is he breaks down to much.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »

Bob Irving
‏ @BobIrvingCJOB
4m4 minutes ago

Matt Nichols IS practicing, all appears to be well after the shot to the head in Ottawa.

That is good news
Pigskin

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2019, 05:26:14 PM »

Matt said he was fine after the game on CJOB.  

Matthews has the caught the Sears injury bug? He's played in 1.5 games out of 3.

Gaitor finished the game. So could be an M-day.

Bighill doesn't need to practice until Wednesday or Thursday.

Humes has played well when he gets a chance.

Lawler is a better receiver then Nelson.

DM83

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2019, 06:54:06 PM »

Great news about Wild.
I sure wish he was still here.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 06:57:53 PM »

Great news about Wild.
Not me. Often injured and seemed to get run over consistently in his stay here when playing Mac. I am glad we moved on from him.

Donny C

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 06:59:24 PM »

Matt Nichols is the most single important player out of those that were injured or knicked up.

If he is is, WPG wins.
kkc60

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 07:03:25 PM »

Great news about Wild.
So you wish Wild and Lankford were here, and want Matthew's gone....interesting
kkc60

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 07:05:12 PM »

Wild got 13 tackles last game... heck of a total, and says some not so good things about their D...

Trap game is a common mention in cases like this, as Hamilton found out last week... but at home, pretty sure we got this...
13 tackles in a game for a LB isn't necessarily bad or good. It depends where those tackles are coming from
thunderNlightning

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 07:08:03 PM »

In a game we SHOULD win,I?d be comfortable leaving Bighill our another week to heal. Hamstrings can be a lingering issue if not fully healed before coming back.
blue girl

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 08:55:10 PM »

I'd be more worried about this being a trap game if it was on the road but I think that the fans will get on the team pretty fast if they're underperforming. I'm also not worried about Medlock. IMO having a bad game only inspires him to play better. Great to see that Nichols is practising. It's too bad about Matthews but we could do worse than Lawlor. I think that Bighill will a be 50/50 chance to play though.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 12:09:33 AM »

Heard something on the radio about Biggie being ok? Not too sure about that.  Also heard Matthews needs a week?

Any word on Briggs?

I see Nichols getting 250 yards, 3 tds.  Harris with about 100.  Strev makes a couple nice plays.  Medlock kicks better and the D plays amazing.  Only way we lose if we loss the turnover battle (badly).  Will be awesome and hope to get a good crowd.  Expecting to see about 23-24K there, 26-27 sold.  Hope I'm wrong.

I expect Fenner to have another good outing and our DL to feast.  I am happy to see Wild on the other side.  Hope he plays well but it's good he is gone.  Always like watching former Bombers.

This is the 1st year in many that I'll be at every game.  Long time season previous season ticket holder (student section.... ah the memories) but haven't been to every game for a few years (I go to most).  All that said I'm sure I'll still get roasted for not supporting the club LOL.  And yes I'll have a bag full of snacks if anyone is hungry! nuts, chips, chocolate and spitz.  Fat mans dream. 
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:18:08 AM by pjrocksmb » Logged

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2019, 12:38:21 AM »

Briggs looked like he had his bell rung. That may not have been a concussion issue but still may have forced the protocol to kick in.

Any word on whether he practiced?

If Nichols plays the entire game ( which I doubt ) he'll get 300+ yards and AH will get his 100 yards.

I seriously doubt the Argos will be in the game by half time. To that effect I would expect Streveler to see most of the 2nd half to get the most game reps he can. It may be against a weaker team but if the score allows that change it's still beneficial.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:14:46 AM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2019, 01:56:39 AM »

The Argos are averaging a pathetic 9.3 pts per game... that's bad, real bad... no possible way to try and prop that stat up at all... 9.3?  wow...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2019, 02:09:35 AM »

they're going to be trying to test our secondary... they average 65 plays per game, but only 11 rushing attempts per game...  then when you consider that on average that 2 of those attempts per game are actually QB plays, i.e. scrambles, that reduces their attempts to only 9 real running plays per game...

odd really, you'd think that with them having Wilder and with him averaging almost 5 yds per carry you would think that they would try to exploit that a little more than they do...

Dodge and Burn

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2019, 02:14:52 AM »

Great news about Wild.

Wild plays every direction but north if you catch my drift.

We are better without him on first team D.

It's not the violin, it's the violinist
dd

« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2019, 02:22:20 AM »

I see Jefferson dominating again like he did in Ottawa. Ya see that smoke, man!!! Come to winnipeg, come to winnipeg man!! Awesome shout out!! The guys awesome and mbt will be crucified in this one. Our D will outscore their O.

Nichols will get 3 quarters worth of work and strev the 4 th quarter. 35-12 Bombers
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 05:08:08 AM by dd » Logged
66 Chevelle

« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2019, 04:27:57 AM »

I'm going bold and say that our D gets it done again and pitches another TD shut out... 40 something - 6, Bombers win...

TecnoGenius

« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2019, 06:53:11 AM »

Kenny Lawler in for Chris Matthews today.Marcus Rios is also down, so with him and Gaitor out today, it's Chris Humes at dimeback. #Bombers

WTH happened to Rios?  I didn't see/hear anything about Rios until now.  Biggie still out (last official word I think?), Briggs likely concussed... starting to look thin at LB, a position we were already hurting at.  I'm even more thankful now that Wilson looks like Da Man.

I see Jefferson dominating again like he did in Ottawa. Ya see that smoke, man!!! Come to winnipeg, come to winnipeg man!! Awesome shout out!! The guys awesome and mbt will be crucified in this one. Our D will outscore their O.

I haven't thought strategy yet -- I want to rewatch the TOR game.  But don't underestimate MBT.  He's plain crazy, I think.  Very unafraid and reckless... much like our Streveler.  Must be a youth thing.  MBT will test our DBs for sure, and he's somewhat mobile so he'll keep the DL honest.

TOR was picking up their pace and their self-respect/morale in the last game.  They are improving.  They do have the weapons on O (except maybe OL).  Luckily their D stinks, so even if the O gets some points, it should be easy for Nichols to put them away.

I think you need to beat them down early and they'll lose all their steam.  Let them come out firing and we may have to duke it out.

The fact WPG is #1 in the CFL, and TOR is #9, and everyone knows it, makes it easier for us because there is no pressure on them to beat us.  No one in the world expects them to win.  Their coaches won't yell at them if they lose.  No one will get fired.  TOR vs BC was different because BC was last in the West and TOR knew they had a great shot at winning.  No such hope for them this week.  They may not even put in an effort (i.e. like their game 1).
GCn18

« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2019, 11:12:49 AM »

I will never underestimate a desperate team....but Toronto is sooooo bad. They may make a game of it, but I just can't realistically see a way they can beat us unless we beat ourselves.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2019, 12:11:36 PM »

I will never underestimate a desperate team....but Toronto is sooooo bad. They may make a game of it, but I just can't realistically see a way they can beat us unless we beat ourselves.

you have to still respect them as they have been able to string together some good series on both sides of the ball... just not long or often enough for it to translate into any kind of real success... however, the potential is there for them to be a 'trap game' because you know it's going to happen to someone with them this year...

they say that even in good years that a good team will win one they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't, yet still be able to be successful overall... we'll lose at some point, but would rather it not be this week, lol...

blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2019, 12:13:44 PM »

I can't see them making a game of it. They're garbage, particularly in the trenches.

As long as the home team takes care of business, this should be a convincing win for the Bombers.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Buck

« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »

Honestly, as a trap game, this one worries me a tiny bit.  Only because the weapons they have on offense HAVE to get going eventually, don't they?  Let's hope they don't..

And for what it's worth, if we can keep while Matthews is out and he comes back later in the year and is productive for us, I'm good with that.  Same with Biggie, if he is a little nicked up, let's let him rest. 
66 Chevelle

« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2019, 12:27:26 PM »

no doubt, we you glance at their roster and we names like Walker, Green, Edwards, Rainey, Sutton, and  Wilder... it's hard to imagine they are averaging only 9 pts a game....

rubanski

« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2019, 12:35:21 PM »

The Bombers are going to be favoured by 2+ tds or something ridiculous. Utterly inexcusable to lose. Prep like a normal week, no mercy and the BB should crush the Argos.
Old Rusty

Illegitimi non carborundum

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2019, 12:36:52 PM »

The bombers need to maintain their intensity on D... and to carry out the plan on offence.   Above all DO NOT rest easy and take this game for granted.   A pinned down and often pummelled Toronto team might be able to rally and do some damage.

As you ramble on through life, Brother,
Whatever be your goal,
Keep your eye upon the doughnut,
And not upon the hole.
GCn18

« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2019, 12:51:58 PM »

you have to still respect them as they have been able to string together some good series on both sides of the ball... just not long or often enough for it to translate into any kind of real success... however, the potential is there for them to be a 'trap game' because you know it's going to happen to someone with them this year...

they say that even in good years that a good team will win one they shouldn't and lose one they shouldn't, yet still be able to be successful overall... we'll lose at some point, but would rather it not be this week, lol...

The one thing about a MOS coached team is that they rarely fail to show up. However, that's why we play the games. Nothing is certain in life except death and taxes. We should win easy but we gotta show up.

bigbuff33

« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »

Bombers are playing with an attitude I like...they''re playing for first place...nothing less.
There's an attitude about this team that i haven't seen in a long time...
They know what they have to do...and go out there and do it!!!
Talent all over the place..."lets just go 1-0 this week!!"
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2019, 01:20:28 PM »

The Argos are averaging a pathetic 9.3 pts per game... that's bad, real bad... no possible way to try and prop that stat up at all... 9.3?  wow...

They scored 14, 7 and 17, so the average is actually 12.6 points I believe.
blue_or_die

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2019, 01:30:11 PM »

Chances McGuire gets a quarter to shore up some CFL experience? lol
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2019, 01:36:57 PM »

I'm going bold and say that our D gets it done again and pitches another TD shut out... 40 something - 6, Bombers win...

Toronto is bad, but I'm not sure -6 bad....   oh, wait... I guess I misread that.. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2019, 01:37:20 PM »

I got that stat off of the CFL official page... but while typing, it dawned on me, the OFFENSE has probably only scored 9.3 pts as a group, the other 3 pts are probably from the kick/punt teams...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2019, 01:43:33 PM »

well, I've learned 2 things this week, the first being I evidently am unaware of how many preseason games are played, both now and in the past, and secondly, I am apparently not smart enough to figure out stat tables on the official CFL web site... I still am seeing their average as 9.3, but I am smart enough to know that 38 divided by 3 is 12.6... so I give up, lol...

Stretch

« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2019, 02:17:12 PM »

well, I've learned 2 things this week, the first being I evidently am unaware of how many preseason games are played, both now and in the past, and secondly, I am apparently not smart enough to figure out stat tables on the official CFL web site... I still am seeing their average as 9.3, but I am smart enough to know that 38 divided by 3 is 12.6... so I give up, lol...

You're forgetting to convert the points to Canadian.  Wink

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2019, 02:23:23 PM »

You're forgetting to convert the points to Canadian.  Wink

aahhhh! you're right, that's where I went wrong! thx!  Grin

DM83

« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2019, 03:44:19 PM »

Yeah I would be interested in Lankford as a kick return guy.  That's all.  Depending on injuries, and later in the season to give our current return guys a break,,is why I would covet him.

Regarding Ian Wild, again as we see a number of our LBs injured he would be a great replacement.  But he too got injured.  In the right position, i think he would still be a contributor. Now would he want that role? 

Again, to clarify, these guys in my eyes would be depth guys.  Currently we have starters who are better.  But our starters, are,also missing time because of injuries.  Just saying that in the future their presence could assist us in winning the Cup.  Not a requirement, but insurance. Smiley
Blue In BC

« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »

No way we want either Lankford or Wild back. In any case Wild is still on the Argo roster and not available unless I missed him being released after their game.

No more excuses.
GCn18

« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2019, 04:07:29 PM »

You were probably thinking they played 4 games.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2019, 05:05:37 PM »

You were probably thinking they played 4 games.

what it was is I knew that preseason was 3 weeks long... then, I'm like but we only play 2 games... not taking in consideration that due to the odd number of teams in the league you have to have 3 weeks in order to allow all teams to play 2 games... but in my head, I ended up converting the 3 WEEKS to 3 GAMES, then realizing we only played 2 games, it made my feeble hamster wheel to math, and we all know math is hard, and came to the conclusion that the 3 in my head actually stood for games, so we have had to shorten preseason if we are only playing 2 games currently, lol...

need to start going to bed earlier, that could help, lol...

pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2019, 07:51:51 PM »

No way we want either Lankford or Wild back. In any case Wild is still on the Argo roster and not available unless I missed him being released after their game.

Agree
Hard Pass

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
olwpgjet

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2019, 02:16:24 AM »

Montreal just beat Hamilton ( who would have predicted that) and it is the Crazy Football League. Anybody can beat anybody on a given night. Probably be a stinker game coming sometime this year, hopefully not this week against Toronto.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2019, 02:25:20 AM »

actually that happened a few days ago... like last Thursday...

GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2019, 04:03:05 AM »

Yeah I would be interested in Lankford as a kick return guy.  That's all.  Depending on injuries, and later in the season to give our current return guys a break,,is why I would covet him.

Regarding Ian Wild, again as we see a number of our LBs injured he would be a great replacement.  But he too got injured.  In the right position, i think he would still be a contributor. Now would he want that role? 

Again, to clarify, these guys in my eyes would be depth guys.  Currently we have starters who are better.  But our starters, are,also missing time because of injuries.  Just saying that in the future their presence could assist us in winning the Cup.  Not a requirement, but insurance. Smiley
Hard pass on Lankford. Dudes had more than his share chances to prove a cfl player and has failed.

3rdand1.5

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2019, 10:13:12 AM »

While we should win, we are the better team and home, T.O or any team can not be taken for granted. They actually have some pretty good talent, particularly on offence. One week that offence will click, it has too much talent to not at least have a couple big games. Let's just hope that it is not this week.

I believe that just like most games win the lines and win this game. Wilder can run, shut him down take him out of the game early and force T.O to go 1 dimensional against us and force MBT into hurried throws. We have done great at this so far this year. Our o-line needs to keep AH running so they can't pin their ears and blitz Matty all night. Let Wild get another double digit in tackles on AH 5-7 yards off the line of scrimmage.
olwpgjet

« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2019, 12:07:31 PM »

actually that happened a few days ago... like last Thursday...
Really , lol. That is really value added. lol. Ok, just the last game that Montreal and Hamilton were playing and yes, it was the early game of the week on Thursday.
Pigskin

« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »

Looks like a great night for football. 23 and sunny for the kickoff.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: