Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2019, 09:32:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Medlock Punt  (Read 2584 times)
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2019, 10:29:59 PM »

I wasn't paying that close attention honestly as I was actually listening to it more than watching it... I was doing other things on my computer while the game was on...  I thought that I had notice this type of thing before but it may have been a different sport though, not for sure...

but that doesn't surprise me, and in fact it makes a lot of sense... the ability to add graphics such as this is fairly easy to do, I would assume, and can be very convincing to the viewer...  not to mention, easily 'removed' if sponsors change and no actual on field maintenance required...  cost effective if nothing else...

And if your TV audience is where the real revenue is generated, it makes even more sense. When I was at BC Place a couple of years ago, it looked a bit strange to see a blank field.

Posting Live From Home

If we score more points than them, we will probably win.
blue newt

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2019, 10:34:58 PM »

thx... I was thinking about the times you are just barely outside field goal range and have to punt... we may have 1 or 2 guys fast enough that with enough 'hang time' they could be a factor...  I have to admit, I haven't really paid that much attention to punt formation as I recall knowing that this type of play was actually possible...

when the play was happening live I was like 'Medlock, what the heck are you doing?', figured I had missed something that happened, not that it was fair game for him to recover... lol...

needless to say, I'll be watching for things such as this moving forward...

Haha...when I was watching live, it was similar to watching a fairly predictable movie that has a sudden unexpected twist ending...

Me: Hmmm.  Decent punt there.  Looks like Lankford will wait for it to bounce or get stuck in bad field position.  Nothing to see here.  Maybe I'll go get another snack.
Me 2 seconds later:  Holy crap!  What is going on?  Is that Medlock?  Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I may have even leaped up from my seat and starting screaming in joy at my tv.  There was some happy dancing for sure.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2019, 11:08:36 PM »

And if your TV audience is where the real revenue is generated, it makes even more sense. When I was at BC Place a couple of years ago, it looked a bit strange to see a blank field.

it makes so much sense... especially when you start applying things like, up charging for 4th quarter ad placement as that is a time when fans will try to catch the game if unable to watch from the start... you can also allow the same sponsor to modify his message through out the game as well, if you choose to... or sell space by the quarter to a business that may not have the budget for the entire game...

hopefully it will remain tasteful and not distracting to the actual game by some who may have to much 'going on' on the field in an attempt to maximize revenue opportunities...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2019, 01:11:51 AM »

and you could tell that Lankford was watching and thinking, more like wishing, that it was going to roll back into the end zone... then he realizes that Medlock is making a bee line for the ball and he freaks, lol...

with Lankford being an ex Bomber, I kind of felt bad for him... granted, not bad enough to have given him the ball back, but just bad for him, lol...  as a Bomber fan, I was more than a little excited that Medlock was on his game and recognized the opportunity to make a play and in a position to follow through!!!

very exciting as well as pivotal in securing a Bomber win... gotta love it!   oh, and thx for the info...

Lankford screwed up big time there. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
dd

« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2019, 01:37:42 AM »

Ya he learnt the hard way, you don?t leave the ball laying in the ground by your goal line when it?s not going to roll either into the end zone or out of bounds. Ottawa has some life and momentum there and poof it was gone in a gaff!!
Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2019, 01:43:36 AM »

it makes so much sense... especially when you start applying things like, up charging for 4th quarter ad placement as that is a time when fans will try to catch the game if unable to watch from the start... you can also allow the same sponsor to modify his message through out the game as well, if you choose to... or sell space by the quarter to a business that may not have the budget for the entire game...

hopefully it will remain tasteful and not distracting to the actual game by some who may have to much 'going on' on the field in an attempt to maximize revenue opportunities...

The digitally superimposed TV ads are positioned in the same sports as the painted ads in the stadium. Hopefully that remains so.

Posting Live From Home

Blue In Edmonton

« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2019, 01:45:48 AM »

Ya he learnt the hard way, you don?t leave the ball laying in the ground by your goal line when it?s not going to roll either into the end zone or out of bounds. Ottawa has some life and momentum there and poof it was gone in a gaff!!

He took a big risk hoping that the ball would go into the end zone and they could trade a point for field position. Blew up big time.

This is why you should always try to catch a kick in the air. Can draw a 15-yard penalty or advance the ball with momentum. Multiple bounces on a punt create opportunities for bad things to happen for the returner.

Posting Live From Home

Stats Junkie

Unofficial Blue Bombers Historian

« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2019, 02:32:22 AM »

1. Good job on the Bombers cover team to remain outside the 5 yard halo. Medlock is exempt from a No Yards penalty but other cover team members could have been charged with No Yards because Lankford was the first to make contact with the football.

2. Although BMO Field does have shorter end zones than standard, the CFL refuses to acknowledge it. The CFL has been giving kickers credit for a 20 yard end zone since the Argos moved to BMO Field.
148  4  BC-2-11-T35  (00:03) S. CASTILLO Field Goal Attempt (42 yds), Missed (Wide Left, kicked 55 yds), Ball Out of Bounds, Single
Castillo got credit for a 55 yard kick - 35 yards from LOS to goal line + 20 yards for the end zone.

3. BC Place was built to accomodate a 25 yard end zone but the architect failed to add a buffer zone. By the time the error was discovered it was too late to rectify.

@Stats_Junkie
66 Chevelle

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2019, 03:17:11 AM »

and I'll add a #4 to your list...

4) that even after uncharacteristically missing not 1 but 2 field goals earlier in the game, Medlock kept his head in the game and had himself in a place to take advantage of game situation that gave the Bombers possession of the ball on the opponents 3 yard line. Medlock used a combination of game smarts, situational awareness, and physical skill to recognize and execute as needed to put the team in a position to swing the game back in our favor!

not much more you could ask from a player...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2019, 04:05:11 AM »

and I'll add a #4 to your list...

4) that even after uncharacteristically missing not 1 but 2 field goals earlier in the game, Medlock kept his head in the game and had himself in a place to take advantage of game situation that gave the Bombers possession of the ball on the opponents 3 yard line. Medlock used a combination of game smarts, situational awareness, and physical skill to recognize and execute as needed to put the team in a position to swing the game back in our favor!

not much more you could ask from a player...
Medlock is money as far as his complete package as he can position the ball so well on punts and KOs.   He's got quite a few tricks in his bag and his heads really in the game for him to take advantage of that play.   That was the old ball game right there and you don't normally expect that out of your kicker but Medlock is an exceptionally multifaceted player.    I'm glad we signed him!!

Conjuring up the ghost of Leo Lewis to help lead this 2019 team to victory!!
TecnoGenius

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2019, 05:39:56 AM »

they said on tv that a hit ball is consider a kicked ball when player hits the ball with a part of their leg BELOW the knee... the knee itself if consider ok...

Then Medlock deserves extra kudos for knowing his sections of the rulebook.  Wonder if that was him on his own time or MOS teaching it to him?  Either way... smart play == wins.

Article 2 ? Onside Player
The kicker or an onside player may enter the restraining zone and legally recover the kicked ball, but shall not interfere with an opponent attempting to recover the ball.

BiE is right.  "Interfere" would be like holding the other guy when he wants to dive for the ball.  We've seen some loose-ball interference (usually on fumbles or bad snaps) called in the last 2 years, at least once or twice.  But a lot of it goes unnoticed because the situations are chaotic and refs get flustered too.

If I were Ottawa I would have challenged on the grounds that Lankford was indeed attempting to recover the ball when Medlock kicked hit it...  again, it was a game changing play and I would have pulled out all stops if I was on the bad end of the play...

I don't know.  I bet Command is looking right at the rulebook sections when they do their auto-review.  I don't recall a challenge of the reviewed aspect of reviewed play ever being successful.  It just makes the coach look stupid and blows your challenge.  To win the challenge you'd have to come up with some other aspect, like earlier PI, or RTP, or something.

I'm not suggesting they, Ottawa, would or should win a challenge, more along the lines that it's not a play you see routinely in a game or maybe in a season... I don't know, as I don't recall ever seeing it happen before, but either I missed a game that it happened in last year, or just don't recall....

No, I don't recall a precise situation like this ever happening, at least not in the last 10 years.  This is an incredibly rare play.  I think when it has happened, the onside players recover the ball (i.e. gain possession).  I don't think anyone has ever had the wherewithal to just knock it OOB like Medlock (the far easier play)!

What you may have here is all the CFL kickers watching that and now we'll start seeing every kicker sprinting downfield all the time hoping for a good bounce and a sleep returner!

in order to be considered 'on side' and eligible to recover a punt the rule says you must line up behind the ball, does it also require you to stay behind the ball until such time as it is actually kicked or could you release at the snap and still be considered eligible to recover the ball, and or tackle the receiver within the 5 yard halo?

Find the section that defines "on side", that will answer your question.  Like already said, for kicks it's who is behind the ball, not the snap/LOS.  And you have to stay behind until it's kicked.

thx... I was thinking about the times you are just barely outside field goal range and have to punt... we may have 1 or 2 guys fast enough that with enough 'hang time' they could be a factor...  I have to admit, I haven't really paid that much attention to punt formation as I recall knowing that this type of play was actually possible...

We see teams put a couple of fast hands guys behind the kicker at least 1-2 times a year.  I remember some last year.  Usually they are still miles away from the ball when it is caught.  But if you had massive hang time... could be just like an onside kick.  Not going to work very often.

when the play was happening live I was like 'Medlock, what the heck are you doing?', figured I had missed something that happened, not that it was fair game for him to recover... lol...

needless to say, I'll be watching for things such as this moving forward...

Told you the CFL kick game was far superior to down south!  It's loads of fun!  We'll make a kick game fan out of you yet!!

Me 2 seconds later:  Holy crap!  What is going on?  Is that Medlock?  Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!

I may have even leaped up from my seat and starting screaming in joy at my tv.  There was some happy dancing for sure.

Oh you better believe I was going mental over here when Meddy kneed that ball and the replay showed the knee touched it after the hand.  I knew it instantly it was WPG ball, and I was screaming it at the refs.  Thankfully I was watching on my computer, far away from where the baby was sleeping, or I'd be in a whole heap of trouble.

The funny thing was, I was already cheering that Meddy back-spun it to pin them behind the 5 -- an incredible feat by itself.  Then he comes in for the steal?  Incredible.

Best play of the year contender, definitely loads of fun, and should remind any CFL fan why they love this game.

1. Good job on the Bombers cover team to remain outside the 5 yard halo. Medlock is exempt from a No Yards penalty but other cover team members could have been charged with No Yards because Lankford was the first to make contact with the football.

That is a super point Junkie... one I didn't give much thought to.  I'll have to go back and check if the halo was totally respected or if Command/refs allowed a bit of fudge factor (they often allow players within 4+ yards).  Any Bomber within 4-5 could have ruined the whole play.  The ST coach and all the ST guys get major credit on that play.

I want that play on the end of year top-50 CFL plays reel!!
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2019, 06:47:02 AM »

It was sad seeing all those empty seats.. I wonder if the CFL will still get a good deal with TSN when their contracts end.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2019, 06:53:11 AM »

Oh ya, see MOS's grin after that play?  Most fun he's had all year, and reminded him how much he loves the game.  Priceless.  He'll be gushing about that play on Monday @7pm you can bet.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2019, 06:48:21 PM »

2. Although BMO Field does have shorter end zones than standard, the CFL refuses to acknowledge it. The CFL has been giving kickers credit for a 20 yard end zone since the Argos moved to BMO Field.
148  4  BC-2-11-T35  (00:03) S. CASTILLO Field Goal Attempt (42 yds), Missed (Wide Left, kicked 55 yds), Ball Out of Bounds, Single
Castillo got credit for a 55 yard kick - 35 yards from LOS to goal line + 20 yards for the end zone.

So, if Toronto had not been playing at home against BC, Rainey would have caught the missed field goal in bounds and the Lions would have had to try and win in OT?  Jeez, talk about not being able to catch a break.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2019, 06:58:22 PM »

What you may have here is all the CFL kickers watching that and now we'll start seeing every kicker sprinting downfield all the time hoping for a good bounce and a sleep returner!

No, you won't.  No team is going to want their kicker (especially those that do double duty) motoring down field for a contact play.  Most teams don't even want their kickers to tackle on ST returns, because far too many have been injured making tackles, something which they don't specifically practice for nor are their pads setup for.

It was a slow developing, heads up play by Medlock, and while I'm sure that MOS has a green light play for that exact scenario, however, I doubt he wants to see it happen again.

If Lankford had slid headfirst at the same time Meddy takes the slide, there's a good chance he bangs up his kicking knee (he's a lefty, correct?).

Bombers would be better off with a design play with a dedicated on side cover guy on any punt where there is a two returner set for the opposition.  Doesn't compromise the blocking scheme, allows the on side guy to be the second last line of defence, and protects Medlock if the punt rolls out the way it did here.  That, and it would likely be harder for the opposition to identify the onside guy within the kick team; it's pretty easy to ID Medlock.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: