Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2020, 12:57:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Who starts next game vs Alouettes Sept 21?  (Voting closed: September 16, 2019, 02:12:19 PM)
Nichols - 13 (27.7%)
Streveler - 34 (72.3%)
Total Voters: 47

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Decisions, Decisions  (Read 6002 times)
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »

An interesting factoid: the Bombers lead the league with 33 offensive touchdowns and their 19 passing TDs is second in the CFL only to Toronto's 20. As well, consider this: Nichols leads the CFL with nine of his 15 passing TDs covering 20 yards or more and the Bombers red zone percentage ? 65% (24 of 37) ? also ranks first in the league.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2019, 04:09:00 PM »

You said Streveler's overthrow was one of the top 3 reasons we lost. One reason? Sure. Top 3? I disagree.

Streveler thrives at being a backup running trick plays? I don't think so. Nichols only plays well as the #1? That's not true either. He got the #1 spot by looking good coming off the bench in the first place.

You can bench anyone including Nichols if it benefits the team. You're not old enough to remember Warren Moon/Tom Wilkinson. Moon started his first Grey Cup and didn't play well. The Eskimos put the vet Wilky in to save the game. This was after Wilky lost his starting job to the younger and more talented Moon.

Anyone who said Streveler should sit after the Edmonton game doesn't understand QB development. I remember reading a bunch of folks who said that Streveler needed to throw the ball better, which is true, but I don't remember many folks thinking he should sit.

I don't think MOS would ever start Streveler over a fully healthy Nichols. I doubt he'd start Streveler over an 80% Nichols. That doesn't make it the right or the only decision though. If Nichols isn't ready until the playoffs, then Streveler has earned the WF start IMO. Don't make a change you don't have to.

I don't think MOS would pull Nichols if he's not having a good game either. He'd leave Nichols in and let him play through it, even if that's not the best thing for the team.

I think Nichols is the #1 QB and remains the starter for all games when he returns, what could use an adjustment is the coaching staffs willingness and prompt response to plugging in Streveler to change the dynamic when the offence under Nichols is not getting the job done and is in danger of losing a game.  This may take 2 to 3 Q's to accurately evaluate but there should be no hesitation on their part to recognize the symptoms and make the adjustment. 

What this adjustment does not need to carry is the implication that Strev. has over-taken Nichols as the starting QB (at least until the off-season), it should be understood by all as simply another weapon in their arsenal that can help them win football games.  I don't believe this will have to happen all that often because as it stands the Bombers have the best over-all personnel in the league on all 3 sides of the ball and should be equipped to execute well enough to defeat most teams with the original starter.
Norm W

« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2019, 05:47:54 PM »

well, your criteria wouldn't even allow Nichols to take back his starting job, he's no where near 300+ yards per game passing...

But I would expect it's the criteria needed to suddenly overtake the incumbent, the veteran, the anointed team leader! Don't get me wrong, I like Streveler and I like your use of stats to present a sound logical argument as to why you think Streveler should be the teams starting QB. They have merit, but I think its highly unlikely to happen.   

Your stats don't account for Nichols CFL "bullets flying" experience... 8 years, played in 86 games, career completion rate of 66.6% he's been a proven winner. You don't dump a winner in the hope that your #2 guy will suddenly produce the better results, particularly when the only real separation between the two is in their running game. I trust Nichols to make better decisions in the long run.

I think there is a tactical value in running a situational offense that utilizes both QB's in game, far more than they have in the past.

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
blue newt

« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2019, 07:06:10 PM »

If Nichols is healthy, he starts.  If he isn't, Streveler starts.  I think we all know this and aren't expecting any different.

I like what I see in Streveler, but I wouldn't start him in place of Nichols.  In the future?  Maybe.  But for now, I agree with the coaching staff. 
TecnoGenius

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2019, 06:05:50 AM »

Your stats don't account for Nichols CFL "bullets flying" experience... 8 years, played in 86 games, career completion rate of 66.6% he's been a proven winner. You don't dump a winner in the hope that your #2 guy will suddenly produce the better results, particularly when the only real separation between the two is in their running game. I trust Nichols to make better decisions in the long run.

You nailed it Norm!  The steady progression and deliberate moves by the Mafia in the last few years make it clear to anyone paying attention that the team is being built to win on merit, talent, and calculated odds.  The last thing in the equation is "hope".  Hope is what we save for last if we are put in a desperate situation with injuries or something unexpected.  Mafia: Hope is not an option!

If Nichols comes back in 2-3 weeks and they stick with Strev all the way, that's hope.  That's not part of the plan.  Not gonna happen.

I think Nichols is the #1 QB and remains the starter for all games when he returns

For me, the real tricky question is what do you do if Nichols is banged up until just after week 21, and Strev started all the remaining season games and did well (say wins 75% of them).  I'm extremely pro-Nichols, but if he doesn't get any further regular season games (rust rust rust), and Strev has the hot hand... even I might start Strev in a playoff and only make the change if Strev struggles (read: INTs or 3+ 2&outs).

That's why I think it's imperative we get Nichols back at the latest by his 6th IR game.  Preferably get him back after 4.  There's not much season left!!  If Nichols comes back and lights up CGY in both games, everything is so much easier.

No matter what happens, this could be the most interesting season we witness in 10+ years.

We cannot forget that CGY will be desperate to get their team to a home GC.  They will throw everything they have at the WDF.

Never go full Rider!
66 Chevelle

« Reply #65 on: September 13, 2019, 03:03:40 PM »

But I would expect it's the criteria needed to suddenly overtake the incumbent, the veteran, the anointed team leader! Don't get me wrong, I like Streveler and I like your use of stats to present a sound logical argument as to why you think Streveler should be the teams starting QB. They have merit, but I think its highly unlikely to happen.   

I think there is a tactical value in running a situational offense that utilizes both QB's in game, far more than they have in the past.

well, it's like I said earlier... I've seen how this movie ends with Nichols playing the lead role...

especially if Streveler continues to get stronger in his game play as he will be a lot harder to game plan against if you're a defense... then throw in the strong play we're getting out of Augustine... we get Harris and other play makers back, we could become very scary with a true dual threat QB that's able to allude the rush and is hard to bring down...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue girl

« Reply #66 on: September 13, 2019, 04:20:03 PM »

IMO our best bet to beat Calgary is Nichols. You're not going to beat them with just the running game.
theaardvark

« Reply #67 on: September 13, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »

IMO our best bet to beat Calgary is Nichols. You're not going to beat them with just the running game.

Streveler has thrown for consecutively more yards each game he plays...  by the time we get to Calgary, he could be throwing 400 yards a game Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2019, 07:48:19 PM »

Streveler's running ability is a valuable asset in his toolbox. That said he needs to become a more prolific paser.

In the end, running QB's seldom survive long careers before injuries pile up. Pierce and Lulay are prime examples of that

It's a good skill to have to be used sparingly while threatening defenses but it's not sustainable.

His passing has seemed to improved game to game in spite of injuries to receivers.

Let's see how he does next week.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2019, 08:29:54 PM »

Strev tho is built a lot differently than Pierce and Lulay...more like Michael Vick....and he had a good 7 solid years of that style of QB'ing as a starter...and a 13 year career in total...with 2 years absent from being in the clink.

Both basically the same size, so it's not conceivable for Strev to have a nice long career as he will be inflicting more hits than absorbing...Vick got hit a lot...but was rarely the Hammer as opposed to the nail
Pigskin

« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2019, 09:16:08 PM »

The same people that say Strv17 can't beat teams like Calgary, are the same people that said he wasn't ready to start.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 06:19:17 PM by Pigskin » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #71 on: September 13, 2019, 09:30:41 PM »

The same people that say Strv17 can't teams like Calgary, are the same people that said he wasn't ready to start.

I think most are simply saying are best chance is with Nichols, rather than saying Strev can't.

My wife is amazing!
J5V

« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2019, 11:26:26 PM »

The same people that say Strv17 can't (beat) teams like Calgary, are the same people that said he wasn't ready to start.

Bingo! The same people that say Strv17 can't (beat) teams like Calgary, are the same people that were telling us how wrong we were for saying he was ready to start. Soon they'll be saying they were telling us that he was ready all along. LOL!

Go Bombers!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: