Blue Bombers Forum
December 16, 2019, 09:30:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: How long will Nichols be out?  (Read 5503 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #120 on: July 12, 2019, 09:13:09 AM »

I agree regarding Nelson. Time to move on. He must show dynamite at practise to STILL be in there starting.

Nelson's return game has been steadily improving every game (except maybe last game).  I don't think MOS cares if he makes good receptions or not, I think he's just supposed to make good returns.  And so far he's looking like he'll do that for us.

Any Nelson RECs will just be gravy, and hopefully we won't give him many short zone sits where he can lose the ball again.

That fumble, and his getting pushed back on the Nichols-run block, I think are due to his size, only 5'8 174lb.  He's a small guy, we have to play him like he is.  MOS is going to give him more time to shine, and if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be benched for Lawler or Bailey after mid-season.  Whitehead can do returns.

My hunch is Nelson will start breaking it out on returns...
Blue In BC

« Reply #121 on: July 12, 2019, 01:40:43 PM »

Is there an efficiency stat for QBs? I would think Micholls would be up there?

Yes on CFL. CA However it's mentioned a couple of posts above yours in this string. Nichols has the best for any starting QB at 120. Arbuckle's is higher but he's only attempted 31 passes and not a starter per se.

No more excuses.
bowlerdude

« Reply #122 on: July 12, 2019, 05:43:54 PM »

Nelson's return game has been steadily improving every game (except maybe last game).  I don't think MOS cares if he makes good receptions or not, I think he's just supposed to make good returns.  And so far he's looking like he'll do that for us.

Any Nelson RECs will just be gravy, and hopefully we won't give him many short zone sits where he can lose the ball again.

That fumble, and his getting pushed back on the Nichols-run block, I think are due to his size, only 5'8 174lb.  He's a small guy, we have to play him like he is.  MOS is going to give him more time to shine, and if he doesn't, I'm sure he'll be benched for Lawler or Bailey after mid-season.  Whitehead can do returns.

I don't see improvement at all. I don't see anything... he's boring. Which is fine sometimes, but he's both boring and ineffective, which is not fine... and he didn't just fumble on the reception but also muffed a punt earlier. His averages are awful and I don't even see much explosiveness out of him or any sign of anything good happening.

I don't even like Lankford but going from Lankford to Nelson on KRs and Fogg to Nelson on PRs is a huge downgrade in both areas. As far as I'm concerned the sooner anyone else is there, the better. Especially if he fumbles.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #123 on: July 12, 2019, 05:57:12 PM »

That's one of  the reasons I don't care for smaller receivers, when it comes down to intangibles like blocking for another receiver to extend a play they prove to be inadequate.  They need to have exceptional ability like Dressler or Lucky to even be considered taking up a receiver spot.  If there are other options, why bother with a little guy?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:08:32 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Blue In BC

« Reply #124 on: July 12, 2019, 06:47:22 PM »

That's one of  the reasons I don't care for smaller receivers, when it comes down to intangibles like blocking for another receiver to extend a play they prove to be inadequate.  They need to have exceptional ability like Dressler or Lucky to even be considered taking up a receiver spot.  If there are other options, why bother with a little guy?

Whitehead is only 2" taller and the same weight within 5 lbs. Nelson played in game 18 last year against Edmonton and didn't do badly.

The fact he got hit and fumbled happens to big receivers as well. I wouldn't write him off as being a decent back up receiver quite yet. Obviously his role is as a returner and a back up receiver, not a full time starter.

His last game wasn't his best but that's not unusual.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #125 on: July 13, 2019, 05:15:35 AM »

I don't see improvement at all. I don't see anything... [Nelson]'s boring. Which is fine sometimes, but he's both boring and ineffective, which is not fine... and he didn't just fumble on the reception but also muffed a punt earlier. His averages are awful and I don't even see much explosiveness out of him or any sign of anything good happening.

Eck eck egh egh ehem...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: