Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:21:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: The WPG, The MTL & The TOR thread (aka GB&U) WPG@OTT  (Read 1294 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »

I like the idea of penalizing players for not tightening their chinstraps. It's a safety issue.

Harris isn't actually allowed to continue playing without his helmet. The play should have been blown dead the second the ball carrier lost his hat and in this case, a 15 yard face masking call should have been applied.

Yeah, I definitely remember seeing the play go on with Harris' helmet off and wondering where the whistle was immediately when he lost his can. The refs were definitely deciding what they were going to have for dinner after the game during that play.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2019, 03:16:21 PM »

in college and high school here in the states, if you lose you lid, you sit the next play... and in high school, it's a penalty if you don't have your chin strap affixed properly during play, not sure about college... all done as an incentive to players to properly use their equipment meant to keep them safe...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue newt

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2019, 03:55:23 PM »

The only downside I can see about sitting out a play if you lose your helmet would be opposing players trying to rip helmets off other players to get them off the field, which could be quite harmful. 

Twice this year, it's appeared that Harris had his helmet ripped off intentionally by the opposing team (this face mask play, and there was a photo from another game where it's clear that he lost his helmet because a defensive player ripped it off).  While I agree Harris needs to have the equipment crew look at that helmet and tighten it, because it's stupidly dangerous, it should also be said that in neither of the situations mentioned above, the defense was penalized for trying to remove safety equipment from a player on field.

Defenses know that Harris' helmet pops off like the top of Pringles can.  So they target it.  My understanding is that as soon as a ball carrier's helmet comes off, the whistle is supposed to be blown and the play dead.  Maybe this is their way of slowing Harris down?
BlueInCgy

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2019, 04:00:34 PM »

Harris always has had a loose chinstrap.  IIRC, his helmet routinely popped off in BC.  I thought the rules committee instituted a penalty for players who lose their lid a few years back already along with whistling the play dead.

Long story short, Andrew needs to tighten his strap, or someone else needs to do it for him.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2019, 06:33:16 PM »

Harris always has had a loose chinstrap.  IIRC, his helmet routinely popped off in BC.  I thought the rules committee instituted a penalty for players who lose their lid a few years back already along with whistling the play dead.

Long story short, Andrew needs to tighten his strap, or someone else needs to do it for him.

you're right, it seems like Harris loses his helmet at least once in every game... it's hard to believe that we as fans, as passionate as we are, care more about a players safety than they do themselves...  not only in regards to the helmet, but the type of hits players use and amount of late hits as well... I don't recall who it was, but in one game I saw a player having one of these 'big hits' laid on him right at knee on the side of his leg... dude needed help off the field...

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2019, 07:30:01 PM »

you're right, it seems like Harris loses his helmet at least once in every game... it's hard to believe that we as fans, as passionate as we are, care more about a players safety than they do themselves...  not only in regards to the helmet, but the type of hits players use and amount of late hits as well... I don't recall who it was, but in one game I saw a player having one of these 'big hits' laid on him right at knee on the side of his leg... dude needed help off the field...

Under "player logic" if the helmet has some give and the ability to torque it may reduce the force of a direct impact.  From a physics standpoint, he may be right.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2019, 10:12:18 PM »

Under "player logic" if the helmet has some give and the ability to torque it may reduce the force of a direct impact.  From a physics standpoint, he may be right.

then maybe he should consider some "mom's logic", if it ain't on your head, it ain't protecting anything... lol... Cheesy

there may be something to that though, in all seriousness... I wonder if he uses a 'concussion helmet' or standard issue? a friend of mine had a gifted child that play QB in a large high school system here and he bought his son one... it cost around $400, but, it's supposed to help reduce the chances of concussion, especially from hits by other players..  bouncing your head off of a hard object with zero give it would not be nearly as effective though...

I'm not sure of the make up of the helmet other than it had a different form of cushioning material inside that was designed to absorb more of the impact than a traditional helmet padding does... the kid didn't have a concussion all year long, but that's not to say the it was due to the helmet or never found himself in a situation where he was vulnerable to getting one...

could have been black magic voodoo that some vendor was putting out there to make an extra buck off of concerned parents... hope that wasn't the case...

blue newt

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2019, 10:39:53 PM »

Yeah, I was actually wondering if that was Harris' point of view on his helmet.  A bit like a crumple zone on a car.  A bit of give is better than a hard stop.  If someone whacks his head hard enough, the helmet as it moves on his head would take away some of that momentum and force.  But you'd think if that were the case, the helmet manufacturer's would design the helmets that way and all players would wear theirs loose?
gobombersgo

« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2019, 11:05:34 PM »

The Board of Governors also approved two rules that specifically address the safety concern of players helmets coming off during play:

If a ball carrier's helmet comes off, the play shall be blown dead immediately. The line of scrimmage for the next play will be where the player's helmet came off.

If a non ball carrier's helmet comes off, that player can no longer participate in the play. If he does, the player will be penalized 10 yards for illegal participation. If a player hits an opposing player who isn't participating because he lost his helmet, he will be penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness.

https://www.cfl.ca/2012/04/18/rule-changes-approved-all-scoring-plays-to-be-reviewed/

feeling the blues

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2019, 11:19:04 PM »

Im wondering if he had his chin strap tight if there was more of a chance of him being injured on the facemasking. Looked like the guy really yanked on it with a possible neck injury happening.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2019, 11:30:22 PM »

Im wondering if he had his chin strap tight if there was more of a chance of him being injured on the facemasking. Looked like the guy really yanked on it with a possible neck injury happening.

Good point, I've heard Harris say that he's learned how avoid taking a direct hit and turn it into a glancing blow, so he has thought about this somewhat.  I guess somebody just needs to ask him about the helmet directly.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2019, 11:34:34 PM »

hard to say, but... I will say that now would be a very opportunistic time for the aspiring entrepreneur to create a solution to address the need to reduce or prevent head related injuries in all contact sports or sports where unintentional contact could happen, such as baseball...

rubanski

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2019, 01:01:00 PM »

Harris' lose chin strap probably prevented some serious neck strain on that play. Penalty would be dumb, but making a player sit 2 plays might be enough incentive. Maybe Harris just has a weird shaped head?

G
Long bomb
Best 3 quarters of Nichols career? He was sharp.
Medlock. minus 5 on missed FGs, plus 7 on the punt recovery. That's net +2, I'll take it.
Our D.

B
Strev's passing. No patience, looked like a raw rookie. Has a lot longer to go than I thought towards being starter material. Those reps will be good for development.
MOS challenge on a play that would already have been reviewed by the league - c'mon man!

U
This thread name.... convoluted. I just want to find the dang-nam GBU and had to scan the forum list twice. Hall's unit having a great year doesn't make those past year's not happen.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 01:43:38 PM by The Zipp » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2019, 05:49:23 AM »

GOOD
  • Everyone
  • DL: ends monster, tackles monster, just all monster; killing it with only 4 in most cases; shout out to my NAT Fatboi still gettin'er'dun! And huge, huge night for Jefferson, well worth the money; DL was "player of the game" for me
  • Demski route was be-ute-i-ful; against a very experienced DB no less
  • We ask Medlock to get us 6 and he gets us 7 (well, Cool, not many kickers do that for you; all is forgiven)
  • Fenner makes up for last week; no penalties(?) and some good plays!
  • Adams' 3Q catch: live I was like "that's overthrown again", then Adams makes what will be a candidate for top 10 catches of the year; Adams awakens?
  • 4Q Strev sneak TD, notice who they have lined up in front of him?  Yoshi and Bry shoulder to shoulder... never seen that before.  Now that is some smart X's/O's right there.  The only way that's better is if it was Yosh/Bond/Bry
  • Miller's early-out-of-stance chicanery: brilliant, and he planned that with Adams obviously (and Strev too I'm pretty sure), but they didn't tell MOS (he was peeved and confused); why'd they do it?  Nearly 20s off the clock before the "procedure", another freebie 20s off after!  Brilliant!  Someone should have informed that ref the guy wasn't OL (he was a 6th/end) and wasn't in 3-point.
  • Hardrick Hop pre-game show segment: lovin' it (yay Yoshi!).  Demski saying how he got ribbed for that "awkward hug" moment last year, which I remember, the one where he hugs some pink-haired lady who, ehem, really doesn't want to be touched; stadium staff I do believe: bet she asked for section reassignment after that

BAD
  • NOTHING!  It's a freakin' miracle!

UGLY
  • OPI on Holley: Duni is wrong, that is OPI and I spotted it and said it live as a) Rose is in his hip pocket then is suddenly a few yards behind, how does that happen? and b) Holley's arm is clearly curled then fully extended on Rose's shoulder.  That is textbook OPI.  It doesn't help the close-up replay TSN shows is at the worst possible angle so you don't see the real effect of the push-off on Rose.  There's 2 great angles that clearly show the OPI in the highlight reel:
    https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/07/05/recap-winnipeg-29-ottawa-14/
  • Love those blank screen replays TSN, sheesh
  • Is CM made of glass?  Eating too many Dressler Flakes?  Better be unstoppable in the post-season... he's looking like Dressler so far, but without the plays (hat tip to thunderNlightning in the GDT)
  • Medlock's problem the new holder (McGuire)?  He always said he's super specific about his holder
  • That's a head hit on Nichols.  I know he's a runner at that point but I thought head hits on QBs were illegal no matter where they are on the field?
  • Briggs showed well, but took a monster head whack and was completely out of it worse than I've seen since Cornish
  • Many Bombers nicked up now, some minor (Demski, Nelson), some more worrying (Briggs, Nichols, Bighill, Matthews); depth is good but we need to get lucky with some of them cycling back in, and soon!

Special Request: comments on my points about Miller's chicanery and Holley OPI?  Not much talk about either yet.
bowlerdude

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2019, 02:36:11 PM »

The OPI call was obvious. I'm a little surprised they called it anyway because they tend to let receivers get away with anything, but it was extremely obvious, even in real time, and absolutely should've been a penalty.

And it's possible the new holder could be Medlock's problem, but I don't think there's actually a problem. I think he simply mis-hit one kick and besides that a 51-yarder off the post is a completely reasonable thing to have happen.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: