Taking your kids to games

Started by Norlorne Dr., June 21, 2019, 12:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norlorne Dr.

Hey - just wondering who here has taken their younger kid(s) to a Bomber game, and at what age(s), and can share any of their experiences??

Pigskin

My kids loved going to games. Grandson's started going around 6-7, and love it. My buddy's daughter is 8 and is ready to go home by half time.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Stretch

Took our then 5 year old daughter to her first game last year against B.C. A bit noisy for her but she hung in there until halftime (she actually started asking about leaving after the first quarter). Pre game we stopped in the tailgate area and signed her up at the "my first Bomber game" booth and not long after she got a certificate in the mail.

Her second game was against Ottawa and she hung in there right until the 4th quarter three minute warning. Only had a minor meltdown near the end when she saw someone with a blue and gold Pom Pom. We assumed that the souvenir booths were closed so told her that we'd get one next time. That wasn't good enough so the tears soon followed - can't fault her for that since it was after 10pm by that point. The good news was that we passed by a booth that had them when we were leaving, so that totally made her happy.

Last game was against the Riders in October, which happened to be the Family Day game. We timed it out so we were in the tailgate area about a minute before halftime in order to take pictures with the characters (Paw Patrol, etc) and there was almost no lineup at that point. Then after the game we went down on the field, which was fun.

I believe only the corner sections in the upper decks have kids tickets. We have season tickets so we picked up a kids one for her and then just found an empty block of seats to sit in (which unfortunately was very easy to do). We actually sat in the top row of the upper deck each time and the views were very good.

My only suggestion would be to bring snacks for the little one. That's a long time to be hanging out for them, so when (not if) they start to get restless, the snack will buy you more time in your seats.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Norlorne Dr.

Quote from: Stretch on June 24, 2019, 02:25:28 AM
Took our then 5 year old daughter to her first game last year against B.C. A bit noisy for her but she hung in there until halftime (she actually started asking about leaving after the first quarter). Pre game we stopped in the tailgate area and signed her up at the "my first Bomber game" booth and not long after she got a certificate in the mail.

Her second game was against Ottawa and she hung in there right until the 4th quarter three minute warning. Only had a minor meltdown near the end when she saw someone with a blue and gold Pom Pom. We assumed that the souvenir booths were closed so told her that we'd get one next time. That wasn't good enough so the tears soon followed - can't fault her for that since it was after 10pm by that point. The good news was that we passed by a booth that had them when we were leaving, so that totally made her happy.

Last game was against the Riders in October, which happened to be the Family Day game. We timed it out so we were in the tailgate area about a minute before halftime in order to take pictures with the characters (Paw Patrol, etc) and there was almost no lineup at that point. Then after the game we went down on the field, which was fun.

I believe only the corner sections in the upper decks have kids tickets. We have season tickets so we picked up a kids one for her and then just found an empty block of seats to sit in (which unfortunately was very easy to do). We actually sat in the top row of the upper deck each time and the views were very good.

My only suggestion would be to bring snacks for the little one. That's a long time to be hanging out for them, so when (not if) they start to get restless, the snack will buy you more time in your seats.

Great feedback!   Thanks!

TecnoGenius

Sorry for the delay, I rarely read the offside forum (this is a legit question for the normal cfl forum!).

Been taking my son since he was 2 (thru 6 now).  Started with 2 games a season, then upped it to about half the games at 5.

Advice:

- buy "baby banz" ear-protectors, my kid needed them until age 5
- take toys, magazines, books, whatever your kid likes to play with at home; lots of them!
- buy tickets in sections that are sparsely sold; they like space to roam and play on empty seats and then their outbursts don't bug anyone
- buy seats in the middle of the section, so they don't find the aisles as easily; IGF staff frown on kids running up/down the stairs
- stay after to go on the field to run around; make sure the kids know if they behave they get to play after and meet Buzz & cheerleaders & plane pilot; that is far and away my son's favorite part of the game; line up right away when the game ends so you get the kid one of the free footballs; be careful if you PNR as you get only 10 mins or so to play and they rarely call out last call on the PA
- make it special: let them have more pop & candy & junk than you might normally
- make your potty breaks and food breaks during lulls; i.e. not during halftime!
- get there early and use the bouncy castle thing, tattoos, etc, in the tailgate
- buy a cowbell or other noisemaker kids can use, but make its proper use clear and strict!  ;)
- if you're a drive-everywhere family, take the PNR as all kids love buses if they are foreign concepts

I've never had to leave early because of the kid, but he's a natural night owl.  You will not get to pay as much attention to the game with a kid there.  I'd say at 2 you don't see half the game, even though you're in your seat.  At 5 you get to see 75% of it.  At 6 it starts getting much more enjoyable.

I wouldn't trade the time with my son @ IGF for anything.  He just loves it.  He won't remember it, but he was there for the MTL Miracle game, the loose-moose game, and the longest CFL game ever game.  It's gotten so it's a major disappointment for him when I don't take him.  And at 6, he's starting to understand the game more and actually pay more attention to plays, rather than just watching Buzz & the cheerleaders and his toys.  Football is education too, as my son knew about fractions (halves and quarters) well before his schooling started them.

There was an entire thread about this maybe 2-3 years ago, with tons of good ideas, but the search function isn't finding it for me.  >:(
Never go full Rider!

pjrocksmb

Kids have a blast.  Take them to to the family game.  Don't forget get youth ticket prices.  Bring snack in for them and water bottles.

bomber4life85

I dont have kids but our friends take their  1 year and 7 year old to the games. The one year old has ear phones so it doesnt hurt their ears. All of them have always had a blast so far.

pjrocksmb

Hollywood

Don't know if they have it at IGF, but section A at the stadium was alcohol free. Which means almost no inappropriate language.
August 8, 1961
HAMILTON TIGER-CATS 38
BUFFALO BILLS 21
The Tiger-Cats are the reigning champions of CFL/NFL football.

Stretch

Quote from: Hollywood on August 26, 2020, 07:46:17 PM
Don't know if they have it at IGF, but section A at the stadium was alcohol free. Which means almost no inappropriate language.

Kids Zone and Family Sections are 116-121, with 118 being alcohol free.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.