Blue Bombers Forum
September 15, 2019, 06:05:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawrence suspended...  (Read 6003 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 01:22:58 PM »

If Ham releases him, someone signs him immediately. 

Hamilton should tell him to sit down and shut up.  Take the penalty when they need him less, next two games are easy...

He admitted he did it, but "is sorry".  I'd like to see the arbiter up the suspension to 4 games, I think Lawrence got only 2 because "he was sorry".  If he appeals, that proves he is not sorry...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Waffler

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 01:45:48 PM »

I have always thought that on cheap hits and plays, players should be suspended as long as the player injured could not play.  That seems fair and would make people think.

Good in theory but not practical. Penalties need to be just severe enough to have deterrence. The league is hamstrung by the players assoc and appeals, the end result being guys taking "free" shots.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 02:30:12 PM »

Like I said before. It's not Ambrosie or the league, it's the CFLPA, they will fight it and the precedent was set by what they did for Rose. A blatant disregard for another's safety  has been determined to be 1/2 a game cheque. Ambrosie could have slapped a 10 game suspension it would not have mattered. The CFLPA has the league by the yitchies and Simoni is entitled to his due process, whether right or wrong 
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 05:18:27 PM »

What an *****' farce!!   I'm all for player rights and the like but when it comes to suspensions for players who actually injure another player via illegal hits the suspension rule should stick!   You can't have it both ways!!??
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 06:09:37 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
1chad

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 05:41:32 PM »

There is a major league, not the NHL, that in the event of an appeal they have arbitrators lined up and it is done and dusted within the week.  Might be the NFL, not sure.  I understand we as the CFL cannot afford to have a multitude of arbitrators on retainer, but can they not have a good sized list, agreed upon prior to the season with the CFLPA, and run down the list until they get one who has the time?  Suspention, appeal, verdict prior to the weekend's games.
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 05:42:21 PM »

Does Lawrence have to request the CFLPA do that or can they appeal on his behalf?  Just wondering if this is proof he isn't sorry at all.  Or is this the Union being a union.
booch

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 05:50:12 PM »

you have to approach the CFLPA to initiate...and they will support you/get proceedings moving...if you don't request, then they don't move on it for you
blue girl

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2019, 06:47:28 PM »

This is where the CFLPA loses credibility with me. You can't ask for long term health care for players and then appeal a suspension for a player who has possibly ended a players career.
Donny C

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2019, 06:50:18 PM »

This is where the CFLPA loses credibility with me. You can't ask for long term health care for players and then appeal a suspension for a player who has possibly ended a players career.

I fully agree!
theaardvark

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2019, 06:52:01 PM »

Yup... I really do hope whoever hears the appeal does take into account that he's sorry / not sorry, and levels an additional game or two onto the suspension.  Nip this whole "appeal" crap in the bud...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue newt

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2019, 07:46:59 PM »

Agree completely.  2 games is fair.  To appeal that says that one player's pocketbook is more important than another player's head.  CFLPA look like arses here.  They should be fighting for a safer game for all.  If the call was egregious or the penalty unreasonable, an appeal could be more understandable.  But it is neither.  Let the suspension stand.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2019, 12:12:19 AM »

CFL statement - pretty strong and to the point:

TORONTO ? The Canadian Football League issued a statement Wednesday night after learning that the CFLPA has decided to contest the league?s attempt to suspend Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Simoni Lawrence.

Lawrence was handed a two-game suspension the veteran Tiger-Cat made direct contact to the head of Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Zach Collaros in the Ticats? season opener on Thursday at Tim Hortons Field.

The statement read as follows:

The CFL is deeply disappointed that the CFLPA has decided to contest the league?s attempt to punish and deter a dangerous play. It is highly regrettable that the association has informed us it has decided to grieve the two-game suspension the CFL has imposed on Hamilton Tiger-Cat Simoni Lawrence after he struck Saskatchewan Roughrider quarterback Zach Collaros in the head after Collaros had given himself up by sliding feet first.

We should embrace a shared responsibility to do all we can to punish and deter any play that crosses the line. It is disappointing that the union has decided to use a legal process, at considerable time and expense, to defend an offending player instead of standing up for the player hurt on the play. Let?s use that time and money to instead work together on new ways to promote and protect all players? safety.

Randy Ambrosie
Commissioner
CFL

As for Collaros, he left Thursday?s game following the hit and did not return.  On Sunday he was placed on the six-game injured list by the Riders
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 12:16:04 AM by The Zipp » Logged
blue newt

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2019, 01:18:48 AM »

CFL statement - pretty strong and to the point:

TORONTO ? The Canadian Football League issued a statement Wednesday night after learning that the CFLPA has decided to contest the league?s attempt to suspend Hamilton Tiger-Cats linebacker Simoni Lawrence.

Lawrence was handed a two-game suspension the veteran Tiger-Cat made direct contact to the head of Saskatchewan Roughriders quarterback Zach Collaros in the Ticats? season opener on Thursday at Tim Hortons Field.

The statement read as follows:

The CFL is deeply disappointed that the CFLPA has decided to contest the league?s attempt to punish and deter a dangerous play. It is highly regrettable that the association has informed us it has decided to grieve the two-game suspension the CFL has imposed on Hamilton Tiger-Cat Simoni Lawrence after he struck Saskatchewan Roughrider quarterback Zach Collaros in the head after Collaros had given himself up by sliding feet first.

We should embrace a shared responsibility to do all we can to punish and deter any play that crosses the line. It is disappointing that the union has decided to use a legal process, at considerable time and expense, to defend an offending player instead of standing up for the player hurt on the play. Let?s use that time and money to instead work together on new ways to promote and protect all players? safety.

Randy Ambrosie
Commissioner
CFL

As for Collaros, he left Thursday?s game following the hit and did not return.  On Sunday he was placed on the six-game injured list by the Riders

Clearly, Simoni was not as sorry about the hit as he wanted people to believe, and the CFLPA doesn't really care about the health of its members.  As a football fan, this is frustrating and upsetting.  The CFL is in the right about this, and I'm glad Ambrosie issued that statement.  Who would have thought the CFL would be more concerned with their health than their union?  But $ talks, right?
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2019, 01:23:16 AM »

From Naylor:

The @CFLPA had a choice whether to represent @Simoni_Lawrence in his appeal. But highly unusual to criticize a union for using a process it collectively bargained. League is suggesting an appeal means the union is abandoning it?s responsibility to make the game safer. #CFL #CFLPA
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »

Clearly, Simoni was not as sorry about the hit as he wanted people to believe, and the CFLPA doesn't really care about the health of its members.  As a football fan, this is frustrating and upsetting.  The CFL is in the right about this, and I'm glad Ambrosie issued that statement.  Who would have thought the CFL would be more concerned with their health than their union?  But $ talks, right?

Actually Simoni is just sticking to his story - he claims it was accidental, no maliscous intent therefore 2 games is too much...CFLPA is defending their member and claiming that while the result was terrible it was not worthy of this punishment.   The court of public opinion (including other players and members) is clearly against Simoni so I may have thought the CFLPA would just let this one go but I guess not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: