Blue Bombers Forum
October 19, 2019, 08:33:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawrence suspended...  (Read 6962 times)
JoePop

« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2019, 03:05:02 PM »

I think that if you appeal and you lose the appeal you not only have to sit out the games you were originally suspended for but also the number games you played while waiting for appeal process. So in this case Simoni sits the 2 games he was suspended for plus the 2 or 3 games he has played while waiting for the arbitration.
Horseman

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2019, 03:10:18 PM »

That's crazy, an appeal isn't a lack of remorse.

Let me create a hypothetical scenario for you:

Texting and driving is illegal. You do it (oops), and get a ticket.

(remember this is my made up scenario) However, the punishment isn't doled out that day, instead you get a letter in the mail from The Honourable Chief Justice Glenn D. Joyal announcing you've been handed triple the punishment of any other driver in Manitoba history.

- A 3 week suspension of license
- A $2000 fine
- 15 demerit points.

Yup, triple just for you.

You understand being punished, you're just not sure why an unprecedented punishment has to be arbitrarily handed out to you.

So you appeal asking for the usual punishment. Is that a lack of remorse? I don't think so.

Apples and oranges, a 2 game suspension is not an unheard of punishment for this incident, it is justified and acceptable. If you appeal this, it means you do not agree with the suspension based on your actions (ie: you do not feel your actions deserved this punishment...no remorse). When you appeal, you run the risk of a, b, or c, happening, and I feel increasing the suspension to 4 games is a just punishment for this incident. Like I said, he is lucky I'm not the arbitrator.
Horseman

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2019, 03:11:33 PM »

I think that if you appeal and you lose the appeal you not only have to sit out the games you were originally suspended for but also the number games you played while waiting for appeal process. So in this case Simoni sits the 2 games he was suspended for plus the 2 or 3 games he has played while waiting for the arbitration.

I like this idea.
4everalonghair

« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »

Now the decision isn't expected until after the weekend. So he gets to play another game.  What a Joke!
Blue In BC

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »

I suppose the decision being held back to the weekend makes sense in the weirdest way. In theory the team is preparing for him to play this week and he's taking 1st string reps. To uphold the decision a few days before a game seem unfair to the team at a certain level.

That said, this could have been done in a couple of days after the incident and not taken this long to get the result.

What does the league do if a suspension happens in game 15 of the season? You can't wait until 2020 to do the appeal.

Figure this out and make the process RAPID when it occurs in the future.

I'll be disappointed if this is overturned or reduced. We need an example made.

No more excuses.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 03:36:10 PM »

SL is lucky, I'm not the arbitrator because much like an appeal in the justice system, if you appeal you take a chance your punishment will:

a) remain the same.
b) be reduced.
c) be increased.

I would look at the appeal, as a complete lack of remorse for his dirty hit which injured ZC and possibly ended his career, I would then increase his suspension to 4 games. But that is just me.

The CBA only permits a 2 game suspension. So not gonna happne LOL!!!

[deleted]
Ridermania

« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 03:40:05 PM »

CFL will not announce the suspension appeal until Monday.

This way he plays July 13th vs Calgary and then misses July 26th vs Winnipeg and the August1st game vs Riders.

This is my conspiracy theory on the situation.
bomb squad

« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2019, 04:04:24 PM »

I don't understand why he wants to appeal. If it was 4 games I could see it, but it's 2 games. I know it's a huge deal to a pro football player to miss 2 games, but what does he realistically think he's going to gain and is it worth the distraction in the meantime? No suspension? Not going to happen. Reduced to one game? Still a longshot IMO. Not worth it Simoni. Serve your 2 games, get it over with. Come back healthy and rested and 100% focused on winning and being a great defensive player. One who plays hard, aggressive, and on the edge, but at the same time respects the safety of his fellow pros. It can be done. Now go and do it.
rubanski

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Apples and oranges, a 2 game suspension is not an unheard of punishment for this incident, it is justified and acceptable. If you appeal this, it means you do not agree with the suspension based on your actions (ie: you do not feel your actions deserved this punishment...no remorse). When you appeal, you run the risk of a, b, or c, happening, and I feel increasing the suspension to 4 games is a just punishment for this incident. Like I said, he is lucky I'm not the arbitrator.

No it's not. Could you please cite specific examples of a first time offender being suspended for multiple games for a head shot incident.

(spoiler alert... it's never happened)
Blue In BC

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2019, 04:27:35 PM »

No it's not. Could you please cite specific examples of a first time offender being suspended for multiple games for a head shot incident.

(spoiler alert... it's never happened)

Yes it has. At least once when a Bomber was suspended for 3 games After the Season after not actually taking an in game penalty or disqualification. It was a decision based on the accumulation of his play. Ultimately he choose to retire.

While he was not exactly a 1st time offender. OTOH the decision was not based on one specific incident but for his reckless style of play, after the fact.

The long arm of the CFL law finally caught up with bad boy Brandon Dyson.

The CFL finally dealt with the so-called Dyson incident on Monday, seven months after it occurred.

Dyson, an import offensive lineman with the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, was suspended three games and fined $1,500 for a chop block on defensive tackle Clinton Wayne in a 27-19 Grey Cup loss to the Calgary Stampeders on Nov. 25, 2001.

EDIT: Here's another one.

The CFL has suspended Redblacks linebacker Kyries Hebert. Again.

Hebert was handed a two-game punishment ? his second suspension of the season ? after hitting Montreal Alouettes receiver B.J. Cunningham in the ?side of his head in a reckless manner,? according to the league.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:32:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2019, 04:39:07 PM »

Neither of your examples are first time offenders.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2019, 04:59:24 PM »

Neither of your examples are first time offenders.

They had to be 1st time offenders in order to be repeat offenders. As I mentioned in regard to Dyson, his 1st suspension was a 3 game suspension. It was not a cumulative decision based on other suspensions, or even penalties per se. It was based on his style of play and the perceived risk to other players.

So it's going to depend on the definition of 1st time offenders to some degree. We've had at least one RP penalty in 2019 up graded to 25 yards from the normal 15 yard penalty. It was interesting that a disqualification was not enforced in that game. No suspension was handed out.

Does that make this a 1st time offense? Where does the line get drawn? If he whacks a player in his next game does he get a suspension ruled?

Many players will get RP penalties during the season. The Esks took something like 6 when they played the Bombers. Ottawa has taken multiple as well and in some cases by the same player.

The degree of how hard, how late and the intent all come into play whether it's the 1st play of the 1st game of a 1st year player or a 10 year veteran.

I'm not sure where Lawrence falls. Hard to imagine he's never taken a RP to a helmet before. Some of them are so marginal but still within the rule as a RP. By that definition he's not a 1st time offender so that's a thin excuse IMO.

EDIT: Players that failed a drug test are suspended 2 games for 1st infraction. So in theory you can harm yourself and be penalized more than if you potentially end another players career.

Something is out of whack.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 05:17:21 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2019, 05:03:41 PM »

Lawrence will get his suspension reduced to 1 game imo.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2019, 05:05:16 PM »

Lawrence will get his suspension reduced to 1 game imo.

Probably and that will be very disappointing for the CFL. What's the point of having a 2 game max if you can't enforce it? What does it take to make a 2 game stick?

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2019, 05:12:26 PM »

Well, you'd never be based on your commentary. The arbitrator is meant to be a neutral party who looks at the entire case and makes an objective, unbiased decision based on the factors of that case. No different than any other league.

Remember: the league (employer) and the players' association (union) agreed to these terms as set out in the CBA. Every player has the right to exercise the process of appealing a punishment handed down.

#forthew

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: