Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:18:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawrence suspended...  (Read 4799 times)
Big Daddy

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 02:46:58 AM »

What are they doing for Collaros?

That is a very good question
the paw

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 03:08:20 AM »

Is the punishment fitting (2 games)?  If so, the CFLPA should then urge the player to accept it.  My gut feeling though is the union might attempt to mitigate or challenge the punishment because they are representing the player.

I think it?s about right.  Kyries Hebert got a half game fine, full game fine, and then a one game suspension before they hung a deuce on him. (All headshots).

The fact that Collaros was sliding makes going right to two games appropriate, even for a first offender.  But 2 games is no joke, it?s 11% of his pay.  And the punishment is calibrated to the infraction, not the damage done.  In other words, he should still have got 2 games even if  Collaros had been able to return in the second half
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:03:51 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
dd

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 04:41:50 AM »

2 games is the minimum he should have got. he should have gotten a 25 yard rough play and a game disqualification in the game he was playing then that would have been appropriate penalty to pay for such a stupid hit
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 09:23:23 PM by dd » Logged
TecnoGenius

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »

2 games is OK, if he actually serves it.  I thought 3 was more appropriate.  But 2 does send a message and is more than the slap on the wrist I thought they'd dole out.

But I'm not sure this impacts SL financially, other than the GD cheque?  Doesn't he still get his normal salary cheque?  He isn't a ELC, he's a highly paid vet.  It does hurt HAM though as he is a very good player.
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2019, 01:02:39 PM »

2 games is OK, if he actually serves it.  I thought 3 was more appropriate.  But 2 does send a message and is more than the slap on the wrist I thought they'd dole out.

But I'm not sure this impacts SL financially, other than the GD cheque?  Doesn't he still get his normal salary cheque?  He isn't a ELC, he's a highly paid vet.  It does hurt HAM though as he is a very good player.

A game day check is his normal salary. Getting suspended should mean he isn't getting paid anything for either game. If that isn't true, where is the value in suspending him? Where is the downside for him aside from playing?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 02:17:53 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »

What's the difference between a game day cheque and a "normal cheque". I was not aware players got their salary through anything but games played/rostered.
the paw

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2019, 02:09:38 PM »

What's the difference between a game day cheque and a "normal cheque". I was not aware players got their salary through anything but games played/rostered.

there isn't, Techno is confused.

When media reports on player compensation, they usually report a figure on the annual global value of the contract.  That annual value is broken down into the following payment methods:  signing bonuses, roster/report bonuses, incentives/games played bonuses, housing allowance, and game day cheques.  There is no "normal salary" cheque. 

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »

2 games is the minimum he should have got. he should have gotten a 25 year rough play and a game disqualification in the game he was playing then that would have been appropriate penalty to pay for such a stupid hit

25 years seems a little harsh Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Colton

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2019, 05:19:12 PM »

2 games is the minimum he should have got. he should have gotten a 25 year rough play and a game disqualification in the game he was playing then that would have been appropriate penalty to pay for such a stupid hit

My thoughts exactly
Blue In BC

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »

No news that SL is going to appeal. I hope that turns out to be the case and the issue is a done deal.

No more excuses.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 11:45:43 PM »

From Farhan:

Hearing that the Simoni Lawrence suspension is likely headed towards an appeal/grievance by the #CFLPA. @CFLonTSN #TiCats #Riders

What a joke - Collaros should get a refund on his union dues
Tiger

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 12:29:37 AM »

I have always thought that on cheap hits and plays, players should be suspended as long as the player injured could not play.  That seems fair and would make people think.

Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
 Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger
TecnoGenius

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 05:58:28 AM »

there isn't, Techno is confused.

When media reports on player compensation, they usually report a figure on the annual global value of the contract.  That annual value is broken down into the following payment methods:  signing bonuses, roster/report bonuses, incentives/games played bonuses, housing allowance, and game day cheques.  There is no "normal salary" cheque. 

Not confused, ignorant.  I have no idea how these things are structured, but thanks to the smart people here, now I'm getting the picture.

One last question based on all the answers I got: let's say a player is signed to a contract for $180k base.  So his GDC is $18k a game?  OK.  What if they put that player on PR?  (I know, you never PR a $180k player, but just pretend.)  Now the player isn't rostered for games, and thus doesn't get a GDC, right?  So does he get a "normal" "non-GD" cheque for the $18k he's contractually owed that week?

What about guys who bounce between PR and AR all year like Washington, Thompkins, Nelson in '18?  Or were they all always on AR?

But, bottom line, Simoni is going to be $30k+ poorer after this fiasco, right?  I'm fine with that.
the paw

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 11:01:49 AM »

Not confused, ignorant.  I have no idea how these things are structured, but thanks to the smart people here, now I'm getting the picture.

One last question based on all the answers I got: let's say a player is signed to a contract for $180k base.  So his GDC is $18k a game?  OK.  What if they put that player on PR?  (I know, you never PR a $180k player, but just pretend.)  Now the player isn't rostered for games, and thus doesn't get a GDC, right?  So does he get a "normal" "non-GD" cheque for the $18k he's contractually owed that week?

What about guys who bounce between PR and AR all year like Washington, Thompkins, Nelson in '18?  Or were they all always on AR?

But, bottom line, Simoni is going to be $30k+ poorer after this fiasco, right?  I'm fine with that.

Assume a player signs a contract with no bonuses, just $180k for 18 games.  Every week, his game cheque is $10k.  If he goes down to the practice roster in week 5, he doesn?t get $10k that week, he could get as low as $750.  If the team wants to activate him for week 6, he has to sign a new contract, which may or may not be the same value as his original contract.

Bottom line is that being on practice roster impairs your earning potential severely, and it sucks for players.  That?s why you see rookies and prospects there, veterans would generally rather move on to another team if they feel they have established themselves. Which is why teams bury guys on the IR, so they can keep paying them full salary.

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 01:12:12 PM »

From Farhan:

Hearing that the Simoni Lawrence suspension is likely headed towards an appeal/grievance by the #CFLPA. @CFLonTSN #TiCats #Riders

What a joke - Collaros should get a refund on his union dues

They need an arbitrator on call with a retainer so that the appeal is done within a couple of days of the game as the suspension is levied.

Since that doesn't seem to be in the cards, this better not take weeks and weeks to come to a conclusion. It's horrible PR for the CFL.

TiCats should just release him to solve this crap.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 01:13:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: