Blue Bombers Forum
July 24, 2019, 12:18:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Lawrence suspended...  (Read 4798 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: June 17, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »

Simoni Lawrence suspended 2 games for the hit on Collaros...

Will he appeal?
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 04:42:24 PM »

He probably will and his suspension won't be served until next year or SOME BS
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »

Hamilton plays Saturday and the suspension is effective immediately. It's an interesting question considering the possible career or season ending injury to Collaros.

Both the CFL and CFL.PA are trying to address player safety issues. PR defending the suspension would be bad regardless of the outcome.

I hope the appeal was done on the weekend and if not that one is not contemplated.

No more excuses.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:37 PM »

That appeal process is a bit of a joke.....2 games is two games and it should be served immediately.  Collaros is on the 6 game IR however I'd be surprised if this is the final straw for him!   Well he got 3 plays in so far this season so Lawrence should do his time now!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Donny C

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:24:48 PM »

I think the league positions itself well by automatically handing out a suspension.

It can be appealed through the CFLPA.

However, by automatically suspending Lawerence the CFL can look the CFLPA in the eye and say, "Actually yes, yes we do care about player saftey. It's you guys that keep having issues with the suspensions."
Darwinismyhomeboy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 05:46:55 PM »

Hamilton's next two games are Tor and Mtl.  I wouldn't appeal.  Let him sit two, should be, easy win games at the start of the year.  Don't drag on the appeal then possibly lose him later in the season for harder opponents.  Plus it'll make Ham look good that they don't condone dangerous hits on QBs
rubanski

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 05:56:32 PM »

I think the league positions itself well by automatically handing out a suspension.

It can be appealed through the CFLPA.

However, by automatically suspending Lawerence the CFL can look the CFLPA in the eye and say, "Actually yes, yes we do care about player saftey. It's you guys that keep having issues with the suspensions."

It's also a huge liability thing. I'm not painting the owners as a bunch of greedy buggers, but they haven't gotten where they are by not effectively weighing the cost of decisions made.

Former players can't sue the league in 5 years saying they weren't doing enough.

My 2 cents... 2 games is a pretty huge number for a non-repeat offender & probably the right one.  That is a huuuuge chunk of his salary gone.

Imagine giving up 6 weeks of pay this year for a bad decision at work!
the paw

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

I think 2 games is proportionate.  In theory, this is about being severe enough to be a deterrent (which i think it is) and not about retribution for the outcome of the hit on Collaros. 

The CFLPA can still represent Simoni without undercutting their message on player safety.  Their duty is to see that Simoni gets the benefit of proper process within the CBA, and that all the appropriate factors are considered.  By fulfilling that duty, they aren't being "soft" on player safety, they are just making sure that due process occurs. 

grab grass 'n growl
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:05 PM »

Frankly, it is a bit hypocritical to ask for more medical benefits while at the same time attempting to get a player off a suspension for demolishing a quarterback with a head shot.  I hope some reason and sensibility kicks in on this one.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
the paw

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 10:04:23 PM »

Frankly, it is a bit hypocritical to ask for more medical benefits while at the same time attempting to get a player off a suspension for demolishing a quarterback with a head shot.  I hope some reason and sensibility kicks in on this one.

The role of the CFLPA isn?t to ?get someone off?, it is to ensure that he gets due process, that the league follows the rules for giving discipline, and that the punishment isn?t arbitrary.

There is nothing hypocritical in representing a player, everyone gets a defence.

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 11:43:09 PM »

I hope that he just serves the suspension. He'll lose 2 games pay but if Collaros never plays again he loses more.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2019, 12:02:32 AM »

The role of the CFLPA isn?t to ?get someone off?, it is to ensure that he gets due process, that the league follows the rules for giving discipline, and that the punishment isn?t arbitrary.

There is nothing hypocritical in representing a player, everyone gets a defence.

Is the punishment fitting (2 games)?  If so, the CFLPA should then urge the player to accept it.  My gut feeling though is the union might attempt to mitigate or challenge the punishment because they are representing the player.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
lenny

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 12:11:12 AM »

Two games is fair. But it's time to ramp up the punishment for these hits. He should also have been booted out of the game.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2019, 12:30:01 AM »

Yes boot out of the game and if you do on a nasty play like that, take the pay cheque as well if you are a repeat offender.

2 games is fitting.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 01:40:39 AM »

Is the punishment fitting (2 games)?  If so, the CFLPA should then urge the player to accept it.  My gut feeling though is the union might attempt to mitigate or challenge the punishment because they are representing the player.

What are they doing for Collaros?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: