Blue Bombers Forum
July 02, 2020, 05:00:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 7794 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »

With sub 2:00 to play and up by two scores, the game is out of reach (and don't give me the miracle comeback cracp). Oliveira should definitely have been in for last drive. Even if it's two runs and a punt, that's almost 1:00 gone off the clock. #saveHarrisbody

Running the ball when ball when everyone knows you're going to (and staying in bouns - ie taking a hit - is important) is hard. Nobody has to worry about whether the kid can read a blitz and pass protect there as well.

The "bigger lead against weaker teams" just doesn't happen all that often.

Fair enough but teams have been known to score twice in less than a minute. As a matter of fact we lost in Vancouver after that 14 - 0 halftime lead ( or was it 17 -0 ) last season.

If Harris didn't get that last 1st down that would have increased the risk although we might have then chosen to opt for a FG attempt.

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2019, 06:35:34 PM »

In a blow out sure.

There was no point in that game where I didn't want to see the best players on the field.

Yeah. At no point was I content with that 10 point lead until maybe a few players before the final whistle.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #77 on: June 17, 2019, 06:42:59 PM »

Lions turned over the ball on downs at 1:46. We punted at 2:49 after 3 minute warning. Certainly wouldn't have wanted too may 2nd stringers in our 2nd last series. Even with 1:46 left any error could have been fatal.

Tough call but IMO O'Shea made the right call in this regard.

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2019, 06:52:14 PM »

Lions turned over the ball on downs at 1:46. We punted at 2:49 after 3 minute warning. Certainly wouldn't have wanted too may 2nd stringers in our 2nd last series. Even with 1:46 left any error could have been fatal.

Tough call but IMO O'Shea made the right call in this regard.

I agree with you, I just think the possibility of a bad injury is just as likely as the "magical & untimely turnover" followed by the insane comeback.

All of that aside, for two straight seasons we've seen Harris fade a bit as the season progresses. It's only 2 or 3 less hits this week, but I'd like to see the team chose to save Harris a little more than in the past.

With 1:46 to play, the ball in hand, and a two score lead, is about as darn sure as you're going to get. BTW the D was playing lights out in the 4th QTR as well.
blue_or_die

« Reply #79 on: June 17, 2019, 06:58:47 PM »

I agree with you, I just think the possibility of a bad injury is just as likely as the "magical & untimely turnover" followed by the insane comeback.

All of that aside, for two straight seasons we've seen Harris fade a bit as the season progresses. It's only 2 or 3 less hits this week, but I'd like to see the team chose to save Harris a little more than in the past.

With 1:46 to play, the ball in hand, and a two score lead, is about as darn sure as you're going to get. BTW the D was playing lights out in the 4th QTR as well.

Your wish will come true as the season progresses, as 1) Harris will have put on the miles and 2) the team accumulates trust in Oliveira as he gets reps here and there.

There's a freshness-rust thing that goes with the first game of the season that the coaching staff wants to utilize. Get the #1s in for the whole game to experience all the aspects of it, and maximize reps, given that no miles have been put on the guys this early on.

rubanski

« Reply #80 on: June 17, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »

Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

I pretty well agree, except do you mean 2018 Nichols? Not knocking the guy, and our offence looked great Saturday. Nichols missed at least 2 deep passes that would have been huge gains to receivers that had beaten their coverage. 184 yards passing just isn't a great number. I'd like to see 225, even with our ground game cruising.

The "busted coverage" thing though... Nichols bought a few extra seconds on at least 2 of those. Every single D in the league starts to look like swiss cheese if a QB can extend a play 4 - 5 seconds with smart pocket movement.

Mistake free Nichols wasn't, Adams saved him from an endzone pick on a terrible throw. All in all a real enjoyable game for BB this week.

My GBU

Good
- Harris
- Holy Mackeral run defence!!
- Pass D getting better as the game went.
- Special Teams flipping the field with returns and net yards on punts.
- Sayles crazy block and the return. Awesome play.
- The new O-line. Great game.

Bad
- KO coverage. Nearly happened twice.
- Seemed like Fenner and Alexander we're getting beat like a rented mule in the 1st half.
- Nic "butter-fingers" Demski making a couple appearances.

UGGGGGLY
- Black calling Duane the "Great White Ford". I mean... ***...
There must be someone harder working than Rod who can do the games.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #81 on: June 17, 2019, 07:34:39 PM »

UGGGGGLY
- Black calling Duane the "Great White Ford". I mean... ***...
There must be someone harder working than Rod who can do the games.

I was kind of hoping that since Rod had to do all of that extra work covering the Raptors, that TSN would give him the summer off until figure skating season starts.

Literally anyone other than Rod.  At the end of the Montreal game he's like "And Khari Jones is still searching for that first win as a Head Coach."  It was his first game as a head coach, a job he's only had for a week.  Co'mon.  That's the kind of comment you make when the Als are 0-10 or something like that, which they may be, but you don't say that Game 1.

He only managed to mention Johnny Manziel once over the two games he covered.

He did however give that burger almost a half of football.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 07:36:57 PM »

Yeah. At no point was I content with that 10 point lead until maybe a few players before the final whistle.

It's not like O'Shea is relying on scrubs to take over, he's handing the ball off to Streveler, the second coming.  He has to hold Chris back from running up the score!
Pigskin

« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 07:42:16 PM »

I saw Nic fumble the ball once. I also saw him take a very big hit and hang onto the ball. He also made a very good catch on the second ball that Nichols threw to him that was high and outside. The first ball he had no chance on. Like a lot of the players it was his first true game action of the season.
blue_or_die

« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 07:50:12 PM »

It's not like O'Shea is relying on scrubs to take over, he's handing the ball off to Streveler, the second coming.  He has to hold Chris back from running up the score!

lol I understand your point on Strev, although you could argue he tends to play a higher risk version of the game, at a time when we want to take no risks with the football. O'Shea likes to give his boys the whole game, for better or for worse.

I saw Nic fumble the ball once. I also saw him take a very big hit and hang onto the ball. He also made a very good catch on the second ball that Nichols threw to him that was high and outside. The first ball he had no chance on. Like a lot of the players it was his first true game action of the season.

Agreed. Nichols was throwing over and high in the first half, causing lots of near misses, including that first one to Demski where it looked like he screwed up. Demski redeemed himself on the first half jitters, nonetheless.

Blue In BC

« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 08:43:17 PM »

You're not wrong. A case could be easily made in supporting what you said. It's never an easy decision on deciding when is the right time or the right score.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #86 on: June 18, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »

Nope. [66 is] instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

To be fair, 66 was responding directly to my question to him (go look at his first post in the topic and what he bolded).  And he made it clear he was tongue-in-cheek with lol.  66 & I were just having a little fun (me being the first/best Nichols uber-fan on this forum makes it ironic).  So if anyone is to blame, it's me.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #87 on: June 18, 2019, 01:05:17 PM »

To be fair, 66 was responding directly to my question to him (go look at his first post in the topic and what he bolded).  And he made it clear he was tongue-in-cheek with lol.  66 & I were just having a little fun (me being the first/best Nichols uber-fan on this forum makes it ironic).  So if anyone is to blame, it's me.

I don't think adding in an lol gets him off that easy. We'll see how quickly he takes another run at Nichols. Keeping in mind it wasn't the 1st shot he's fired over the bow.

I saw what your wrote and there was truth in why you said that, which is kind of the point.

Anyway. Let's get on with the joy of a big road win in game 1.

No more excuses.
Pigskin

« Reply #88 on: June 18, 2019, 01:47:59 PM »

Adding in a lol after the fact doesn't get anyone off the hook. Especially when you make a sexist comment.
kkc60

« Reply #89 on: June 18, 2019, 02:59:47 PM »

I don't think adding in an lol gets him off that easy. We'll see how quickly he takes another run at Nichols. Keeping in mind it wasn't the 1st shot he's fired over the bow.

I saw what your wrote and there was truth in why you said that, which is kind of the point.

Anyway. Let's get on with the joy of a big road win in game 1.
Here's my question: who the hell cares? It's a forum. People will say their opinion. This isn't a "Good Vibes Only" forum. If 66 makes Nichols one liners, maybe don't bother responding. Especially if there's nothing to respond to. You aren't going to change his opinion, maybe just ignore him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: