Blue Bombers Forum
July 02, 2020, 05:34:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 7803 times)
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2019, 01:05:27 PM »

Everybody needs to get better. It's the first game of the year. The front 7 played okay and yes they shut down the BC run game which I think most of the teams in the league will do. However, MR still had time to throw a lot of deep passes, and still passed for 350 yards. So yes, Really.

350 yards is only a problem when you're also giving up 100+ rushing yards. In this case they got nothing. If you only pass all game, and that's literally what they did as they had like 4 rushing attempts, then 350 passing yards is pretty bad by the Lions. I thought the D-line had great push actually. The Lions used max protect pretty frequently.
booch

« Reply #61 on: June 17, 2019, 01:06:51 PM »

Nichols manages wins...to me that's all that matters...he completed more short passes than Reilly...good because he extended drives because of it which resulted in TD's as opposed to Reilly trying to force deep shots, and being unsuccessful more than successful..I'll take that any day

He showed he can throw a long ball when it's there, as well as move the pocket and extend plays to allow for receivers to come free..there's a difference between that and a busted coverage..the first big gainer was a busted coverage as both guys went with Carter, but actually almost recovered in time..

The offence put up 30+ points...if it was largely on the RB or the QB I could care less as they are all part of the offence...no?
Blue72

« Reply #62 on: June 17, 2019, 01:18:55 PM »

I was very impressed with the Whitehead's attempt to catch the ball, flying in the air reminded me of the days of Joe Pop and Rick House. It seems that if the ball doesn't hit a receiver in the hands most receivers will not make an extra effort for the ball these days. Nice to see Whitehead giving his all during the game, we need more of that from players.
Blue In BC

« Reply #63 on: June 17, 2019, 01:19:22 PM »

I think when Matthews gets into the lineup we'll see a difference in the passing game at many levels. As I said the speed of Lawler and Whitehead took defenders off the LOS which helped the run game.

Adding Matthews is adding CFL and NFL experience. That will also create more room for Lawler or Whitehead as rookie receivers ( whichever stays on AR ) and more opportunities.  Our Canadian receivers will benefit as well.

However, if we continue to pass for less than 200 yards but run for 150 yards and win, I'm good with that.

Passing yardage is great but the run game really dictates that high TOP.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #64 on: June 17, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »

Not to be Negative Nancy, but did anyone else notice Alexander's failed tackles? There were several occasions where he completely failed to wrap up, and one where he gave the guy a hug around his shoulders and it was easily broken. Each resulted in YAC. I was not impressed with that.

Obviously lots of awesome things to talk about, though. Loved this game.

The main "missed tackle" I saw of Alexander was on the Burnham catch when Sayles blew up Burnham with a hellacious hit, and actually bounced Alexander off the tackle... and Burnham was left standing to continue his run.  If either defender was alone in the tackle, Burnham is down.  The simultaneous hit left him sandwhiched and standing, with the defenders getting the brunt of the blow....

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #65 on: June 17, 2019, 02:02:43 PM »

The main "missed tackle" I saw of Alexander was on the Burnham catch when Sayles blew up Burnham with a hellacious hit, and actually bounced Alexander off the tackle... and Burnham was left standing to continue his run.  If either defender was alone in the tackle, Burnham is down.  The simultaneous hit left him sandwhiched and standing, with the defenders getting the brunt of the blow....
There was also a Durant catch where it seemed Alexander was trying to yank the ball out
kkc60

« Reply #66 on: June 17, 2019, 02:04:53 PM »

Nope. You're instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

There is no issue with you not having faith or not liking Nichols.
To be fair, and not to start anything, if I had to pick who was trying to instigate a fight, it would be you. Just quit worrying about him  being negative or whatever, it's just his opinion
Blue In BC

« Reply #67 on: June 17, 2019, 04:14:52 PM »

To be fair, and not to start anything, if I had to pick who was trying to instigate a fight, it would be you. Just quit worrying about him  being negative or whatever, it's just his opinion

There is a difference between an opinion and taking smart a** shots. I have no problem with his opinion and his desire to defend it which could be done with stats and examples which he has used in the past.

We've had reasonable discussions pro and con about his beliefs as have other posters. There is a point of crossing a line though and he has continued to do that recently. Was the " blind squirrel " comment really necessary or even remotely valid? Nichols won 9 of 14 games he played in 2018.

Keeping in mind he doesn't have to respond to me any more than I do to him or a few other posters have suggested what I have suggested.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 04:17:32 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
1chad

« Reply #68 on: June 17, 2019, 05:00:24 PM »

Special teams will have to tighten up their coverage - something I am sure MOS will point out this week (or whenever they are not on the bye week) Other than some iffy tackling by the D, I was quite pleased with the first game by the BB.  Too bad we have to wait for the next!
Blue In BC

« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2019, 05:13:22 PM »

For the 1st game the game plan was pretty vanilla for both teams. It takes a few games as things are opened up more. Dropped passes and missed tackles are a factor of the short pre season and so many players getting reps no longer with the team.

IIRC, Nichols only had 14 pass attempts in pre season game 2. With the bye week we should be able to get more in tune with 1st team reps on both sides of the ball. Penalties should go down as well as timing improves.

For example the PI's. We can debate whether they should have been penalties or not. That said, those are timing issues the DB's will correct.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #70 on: June 17, 2019, 05:50:22 PM »

Understandable letting Harris play the entire game as this was his first action of the season but in the future I'd like to see them pull him at the same time they take Nichols out and let Oliveira finish off the game.  Preserve Harris for the stretch and allow Oliveira playing time to develop, stats. be damned.
Blue In BC

« Reply #71 on: June 17, 2019, 05:59:58 PM »

Understandable letting Harris play the entire game as this was his first action of the season but in the future I'd like to see them pull him at the same time they take Nichols out and let Oliveira finish off the game.  Preserve Harris for the stretch and allow Oliveira playing time to develop, stats. be damned.

Yes and no. A 10 point lead was not insurmountable until quite late in the game. To that end we needed to make sure we had our best players on the field.

We weren't really trying to improve Harris's stats. It was just a matter of taking what the defense gave us.

I agree that when game situations allow I'd like to see Harris and Nichols off the field. Both to prevent injuries but to get the 2nd team some game reps. Considering this was game 1, game reps were needed by the starters.

When we have bigger leads against weaker teams I want to see Strev and the others getting game time.

No more excuses.
rubanski

« Reply #72 on: June 17, 2019, 06:13:15 PM »

Yes and no. A 10 point lead was not insurmountable until quite late in the game. To that end we needed to make sure we had our best players on the field.

We weren't really trying to improve Harris's stats. It was just a matter of taking what the defense gave us.

I agree that when game situations allow I'd like to see Harris and Nichols off the field. Both to prevent injuries but to get the 2nd team some game reps. Considering this was game 1, game reps were needed by the starters.

When we have bigger leads against weaker teams I want to see Strev and the others getting game time.

With sub 2:00 to play and up by two scores, the game is out of reach (and don't give me the miracle comeback crap). Oliveira should definitely have been in for last drive. Even if it's two runs and a punt, that's almost 1:00 gone off the clock. #saveHarrisbody

Running the ball when ball when everyone knows you're going to (and staying in bounds - ie taking a hit - is important) is hard. Nobody has to worry about whether the kid can read a blitz and pass protect there as well.

The "bigger lead against weaker teams" just doesn't happen all that often.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 06:44:23 PM by rubanski » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #73 on: June 17, 2019, 06:14:38 PM »

In a blow out sure.

There was no point in that game where I didn't want to see the best players on the field.

My wife is amazing!
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #74 on: June 17, 2019, 06:21:41 PM »

Nice to see O'Shea coach with more confidence in his team, two years ago he wouldn't consider pulling Nichols unless there was less than 30 secs. left on the clock regardless of score.  He's come along way in the last 5 years.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: