Blue Bombers Forum
July 02, 2020, 05:25:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 7801 times)
Pigskin

« Reply #45 on: June 16, 2019, 09:13:23 PM »

The Good:

AH is still the key to our O.
Woli82 and Adams. Both had nice nights.
OL played pretty good for there first start together.
Nichols had a pretty good game. A few ugly throws, but to be expected. 
Nelson was good on the returns.
Hec29 had a very good game.

Bad:

The kick return.
Front 7 needs to get better.
To many long passes.

Ugly:

The Wilson injury.
theaardvark

« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2019, 09:39:16 PM »

Front 7 needs to get better?  Really?

They held BC to 4 yards rushing.  4.

They got enough pressure on Reilly that he tossed 2 int's and had a 56.4% completion rate, a full 10% off his career average... I guess you mean they need more than one sack...  yeah, you're right.. they need to get better....  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Wink

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2019, 10:12:53 PM »

Everybody needs to get better. It's the first game of the year. The front 7 played okay and yes they shut down the BC run game which I think most of the teams in the league will do. However, MR still had time to throw a lot of deep passes, and still passed for 350 yards. So yes, Really.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 10:16:48 PM by Pigskin » Logged
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2019, 10:36:04 PM »

as long as we keep winning I'm not saying a word about Nichols' performance...  if you all are happy, I'm thrilled...  that's all I got to say about that...

There will be games that Nichols plays bad - it happens to every QB...last night was not one of them

He played very well in fact and anyone who understands football will acknowledge that...first game of the year, on the road, it was a great gameplan  by Lapo and Matt executed it almost to perfection. 

No doubt there will be games he struggles - at that point many  will turn on him and call for Strevler and label Matt Nichols as an epic failure and try to say that they "knew it all along"  - it is the way she goes...
blue girl

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 11:10:25 PM »

I'll take Nichols 184 yards passing 3TDs 0 INTs and the W anyday over Reilly's 324 yards passing 1 TD 2 INTs and the L anyday. The fact is that the Bombers run a balanced attack. I can't even remember if BC ran the ball in the second half.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2019, 11:46:11 PM »

Adams is no slouch. Until we see them in action for a full season, we really don't know.

Agree, Adams is 100% proven.  Matthews is good but we don't know much yet.

Anyone that suggests that Nichols didn't look good or doesn't support him is just biased against him.  Good great, great QB. 

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2019, 11:48:59 PM »

There will be games that Nichols plays bad - it happens to every QB...last night was not one of them

He played very well in fact and anyone who understands football will acknowledge that...first game of the year, on the road, it was a great gameplan  by Lapo and Matt executed it almost to perfection. 

No doubt there will be games he struggles - at that point many  will turn on him and call for Strevler and label Matt Nichols as an epic failure and try to say that they "knew it all along"  - it is the way she goes...

yip
I'll take Nichols 184 yards passing 3TDs 0 INTs and the W anyday over Reilly's 324 yards passing 1 TD 2 INTs and the L anyday. The fact is that the Bombers run a balanced attack. I can't even remember if BC ran the ball in the second half.

hit a bell three times

The Good:

AH is still the key to our O.
Woli82 and Adams. Both had nice nights.
OL played pretty good for there first start together.
Nichols had a pretty good game. A few ugly throws, but to be expected. 
Nelson was good on the returns.
Hec29 had a very good game.

Bad:

The kick return.
Front 7 needs to get better.
To many long passes.

Ugly:

The Wilson injury.

yeah I wish our front 7 was way better too..... should have held them to 2 rushing yards. 

Our DL is as good as there is.  Biggie is an absolute beast.  Zero issue against BC, will be the backbone of our team all year.  They will get better as year goes on.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #52 on: June 17, 2019, 02:31:06 AM »

Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

Nichols handed the ball off to Harris 16 times, if he'd thrown the ball instead he'd probably have come close to matching Reilly's yardage and lower completion percentage.  Now tell me, why the hell would he want to do that?
66 Chevelle

« Reply #53 on: June 17, 2019, 04:13:13 AM »

You just inferred more negativity about Nichols. Add in the " blind squirrel" comment and you're two for the day.

then maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't ask me what I think if they don't want to hear it... you think? 

go look for a fight someplace else...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
kkc60

« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2019, 04:16:04 AM »

then maybe, just maybe, people shouldn't ask me what I think if they don't want to hear it... you think? 

I agree with this. People need to chill out on other posters player evaluations.

Chevy, feel free to give your opinions. No one has to agree with them but as long as they actually spark conversation and debate, there is nothing wrong no matter who and how others try to discourage it
TecnoGenius

« Reply #55 on: June 17, 2019, 04:44:47 AM »

Bomber TOP was 35:06. That's how you win. Kudos.

Yup, you said it.  TOP is key to why our D seemed much more effective in the 4th than BC's.  All those misses by MR weren't just accidents.  Pressure in the BF and over the top made BC's life difficult.

The Bad ( maybe ):
Didn't get a lot of production from Lawler or Whitehead. Combined for 3 receptions and 22 yards. Both showed very good speed which may have drawn coverage away from LOS and defending against Harris.

Great point.  The early miss by Whitehead may seem like a waste, but it stretched out BC D and kept them honest.  In fact, Lapo threw in a mid/deep ball at just the perfect rate to keep them honest all game.  That was probably key to Harris (as you said) and the amazing job we did on 2DC's.

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while... lol...

Hehehe, I knew you'd like that one.  Grin

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

Another great point: I complained all last year that our O didn't seem to work on "scramble rules" at all, either in the planning room or practice.  The fact Nichols had 2-3 great shots while scrambling means the team addressed this point and did something about it.  Great teams like CGY always seem to find big plays on scrambles and breakdowns.  In '18 we never did.  Now all of a sudden we have at least 2 TDs on scrambles?  This is what great teams are made of.  Good work WFC coaches!!

Everybody needs to get better. It's the first game of the year. The front 7 played okay and yes they shut down the BC run game which I think most of the teams in the league will do. However, MR still had time to throw a lot of deep passes, and still passed for 350 yards. So yes, Really.

MR was harassed more than you may think.  Rewatch maybe?  Nearly every incompletion was because he felt hurried, or was outright hit.  And 2 sacks on slippery as a conger eel MR is a great accomplishment.

More importantly, we forced BC into max-pro a whole whack-ton.  Count how many times they had 6 OL, usually plus a RB blocker.  When they did we rushed 5 usually, so no surprise we didn't make it through.  It caused the same problem for us we had against HAM in '18 in the first game.  7 blockers is a tough nut to crack.  Their RB's might be poor RBs, but they were effective blockers.

Never go full Rider!
bigbuff33

« Reply #56 on: June 17, 2019, 11:50:30 AM »

Its called a balanced offence...I'll take that any day over being one dimensional...
Our front 7 wouldn't let them get anything going on the ground.

You can keep all the fancy stats...give me a W...a Grey Cup any day
blue_or_die

« Reply #57 on: June 17, 2019, 12:54:34 PM »

Not to be Negative Nancy, but did anyone else notice Alexander's failed tackles? There were several occasions where he completely failed to wrap up, and one where he gave the guy a hug around his shoulders and it was easily broken. Each resulted in YAC. I was not impressed with that.

Obviously lots of awesome things to talk about, though. Loved this game.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #58 on: June 17, 2019, 12:55:28 PM »

Nope. You're instigating the fight. It's beyond an opinion. We know you don't like Nichols. You don't need to say it after every game. You're just wise cracking which adds no value.

There is no issue with you not having faith or not liking Nichols.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:00:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2019, 12:58:34 PM »

Not to be Negative Nancy, but did anyone else notice Alexander's failed tackles? There were several occasions where he completely failed to wrap up, and one where he gave the guy a hug around his shoulders and it was easily broken. Each resulted in YAC. I was not impressed with that.

Obviously lots of awesome things to talk about, though. Loved this game.

Yes and there were several defenders that had those sorts of issues. I'm not worried it comes from very few game speed reps in pre season games. Alexander and Sayles will start laying the wood soon enough.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 01:01:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: