Blue Bombers Forum
May 27, 2020, 01:52:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  
Author Topic: WPG@BC Il buono, il brutto, il cattivo (GB&U)  (Read 7030 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2019, 03:16:16 PM »

The Good:

I just finished watching the replay on PVR.

Wilson's shoulder looked ok. Perhaps a stinger and might have been knocked out. He should be ok to play for our home opener if there is no concussion issue.

Woli appeared to have had his funny bone hit on his elbow. Seemed to be moving the arm around quite well on the sideline. So it appears he'll be ok as well.

Bomber TOP was 35:06. That's how you win. Kudos.

The Bad ( maybe ):

Didn't get a lot of production from Lawler or Whitehead. Combined for 3 receptions and 22 yards. Both showed very good speed which may have drawn coverage away from LOS and defending against Harris.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 03:22:53 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Ducky

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

Only 1 game but Gray and Speller played big and mean clearing space for Harris et al.   Grin
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2019, 03:56:14 PM »

GOOD
  • Total team effort; no real massive standouts except Harris; everyone contributed; contrast with BC
  • Harris making guys miss L,R&C, and he turns a ton of 1-2 yd plays into 9-10 yds (told you BC run D is bad).  Amazing
  • Every phase good except ST coverage; shout out to SY which was flawless
  • WPG OL effective, rarely screwed up, made big Harris holes; new guys did great
  • Nichols timing looks good; a couple of his "adrenalin overthrows", but he dialed it back by his 2nd bomb to Adams in stride (comments 66?); arm looks stronger; way more mobile, making great throws while scrambling
  • Wilson catching Burnham from way behind; great hustle, great attitude (1Q6:07)
  • Hall bend don't break fairly effective; and his show-bring-drop trickery is fun to watch and must drive QBs nuts
  • Adams best game in a long time.  Woli had himself a night
  • Nevis + Richardson making their presence known, tackling slippery MR on key plays
  • Hecht proves the doubters wrong... can he keep it up?  Loffler who?
  • heads up by Alexander on the PAT to lateral it as he's getting tackled so we get the 2 pts; great block Sayles
  • Jefferson's first big play, is superhuman with that massive reach to grab White's shoulder for a TFL (3Q4:44); otherwise Jefferson & Bighill very quiet today
  • Hecht's chicken to DC, hehehe; Yup, lucky he didn't get 10YP
  • Woli rec to get us 1&G at the 1 (4Q12:03), wise beyond his years; he makes the catch at the 6, turns and sees a Lion right in his path who waits to see what Woli does; Woli does the last thing he expects and just plows right up the field straight over him, almost for a TD; no E/W nonsense for Woli!
  • Pressure really screwing up Reilly's pass at least 5 times
  • that new CGI animation of all 9 teams they showed at the half: WPG got the coolest one with the blue biplane
  • The Tecno Pegged it...

BAD
  • BC OL ok when in max-pro, not so good with just 5; BC O looks like '18 HAM O, max-pro a metric ton; and Reilly not running much?   Not running at all?  Huh?
  • 1Q6:44 draped coverage was not DPI; CGY does that tight coverage every play; even Forde is knows it's bogus
  • Lawler unable to climb the ladder for a TD in triple-coverage (3Q5:36).  Matthews makes that catch; that's why we brought in CM.  Lawler isn't Matthews.  That was perfectly catchable by a CM or Rogers, it's high on puprose because of the triple coverage
  • Lucky has a rough 1st game, needs to calm down?  His drop in 4Q was on a superbly run route
  • Burnham human afterall

UGLY
  • Penalties all going against us, not MOS-like; kept BC alive in 1Q and inconvenient in other Qs.  Must clean that up
  • TSN weak on replays for WPG penalties; many had no replays or other angles
  • Horrific ST work on that KO return; gunners crossing lanes! 3-4 guys bunched up in the same position even before they all fell down; is ST going to be a weakness like in '18?  We can't give up all that field position again this year
  • DCarters's TD was dirty: he's holding Rose by the jersey (not a "straight arm") and the holding is keeping Rose from going back towards the line to intercept that ball; Rose is looking for the penalty to be called, but crickets from refs
  • Demski's obligatory fumble.  Put it in the other arm Demski!  Otherwise Demski was fine
  • Exact same tight coverage on AH as we got DPI on earlier; but no DPI for BC; seems fair to me  Roll Eyes (2Q1:08)
  • Rod Black mistakes Thick Nick for Claybrooks and tries to recover, funny
  • Woli's shoelace slider is incomplete, but BC's similar catch is complete and requires a challenge?  Come on (3Q13:57)
  • Claybrooks losing his cool after the TMM penalty; we're getting in his head by that point and he's not staying composed.  Contrast with MOS (3Q6:14)
  • Wilson concussion?  Arm seems fine.  That sucks, who will be WIL now?  Of course the injury bug hits our least-deep, already-iffy position; Briggs seems to have done ok as replacement
  • 4Q9:06 Reilly free-play throw, all 3 deep BC recs have double coverage, pretty funny to watch 3 rec's and 6 DBs all in the same shot
  • 4Q8:39 both teams with TMM?  First time ever?  I counted WPGs a few times and I only ever get 12, where's the supposed 13th?  Caught leaving the field?  Poor Nelson, every good return gets called back
  • Woli hurt, big problem... broken finger?

W Football is back.  GO BLUE!

even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while... lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »

3 TD's, no int's. Won game. No problem

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2019, 04:21:08 PM »

I'm still a Nichols critic (really lost me last year) but he was a different player yesterday. I hope.that stays
TBURGESS

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2019, 04:24:25 PM »

I'm still a Nichols critic (really lost me last year) but he was a different player yesterday. I hope.that stays
Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 04:25:08 PM »

3 TD's, no int's. Won game. No problem

A solid performance for the first game of the regular season. That's all that should matter.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2019, 04:25:49 PM »

He has his flaws but not every QB is BLM, Reilly or Harris. Yes he's a game manager but that's where Reilly fails. Reilly relies on big play receivers making big plays more often than not. He doesn't have that receiver talent in Vancouver.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2019, 04:28:47 PM »

Was he really tho?

I'll give you that he looked more mobile, but he took advantage of 3 BC busted coverage's in the end zone, he threw a pick ball that was dropped and he threw for under 200 yards. Sounds a lot like 2017 Nichols to me.

Why would he try to throw more when Harris was running wild for 148 yards with a 9+ yard per carry? Lapo was play calling not Nichols.

Busted coverage by the Lions? Sure. How do you think Reilly managed to move the ball 90 yards in 2 plays from his 2 yard line? Busted coverage and poor tackling. QB's are supposed to find the busted coverage.

He still had a better completion % than Reilly. And he did it with 3 changes on the OL and 2 new receivers
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:34:05 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
SSC

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2019, 04:34:18 PM »

The bad - The attendance was announced at 18,000. I was at the game and I'd say that was a stretch. With a market of about two million people and a new, high paid gun slinger in town, it's disappointing. It seems in this part of the world that if it isn't wearing a Canucks jersey it doesn't count.
I would like to see the league investigate other markets for the Lions such as Kelowna because it appears to be over in Vancouver.

The ugly - With K.Wilson down on the field with an obvious painful injury, the Lions org. thought it would be a good time to trot their cheerleaders on the field to do a routine to Queen's "We will Rock You".

The good - Thanking all the Lion's fans around me for such a wonderful evening Cheesy
Sammy225

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:10 PM »

Was he really tho?

Is that not what good qbs are supposed to do. This team is not built to be a long ball threat. It's built to be run heavy and move chains and that's what the play calling is built around. If your expecting 300 yard passing games then you will be disappointed. Nichols is a game managing qb who does not turn the ball over and that's what we did and made the throws he needed to. This is the way we will have to play to be successful, if we try to be the Eskimos or Liond then we lose
kkc60

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2019, 04:35:21 PM »

Why would he try to throw more when Harris was running wild for 148 yards? Lapo was play calling not Nichols.

Busted coverage by the Lions? Sure. How do you think Reilly managed to move the ball 90 yards in 2 plays from his 2 yard line? Busted coverage and poor tackling. QB's are supposed to find the busted coverage.

He still had a better completion % than Reilly. And he did it with 3 changes on the OL and 2 new receivers
To be fair, completion % is a tough stat. Consider drops, especially on BCs end.

Not to take away from Nichols smooth game
Blue In BC

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

To be fair, completion % is a tough stat. Consider drops, especially on BCs end.

Not to take away from Nichols smooth game

Of course but Nichols did complete 63.6% which is a pretty good performance and he had a few drops as well. Some of Reilly's drops were his receivers hearing footsteps at times or passes not on the money so to speak.

Others will look at Reilly with 300+ yards passing as a " better stat " than Nichols. Both true and false. Reilly was unsuccessful at sustaining long multiple play, time consuming drives. He got his yardage in big chunks and yet some posters complain the Nichols only found success on broken coverage.

For game 1 on the road with 5 changes on offense we did very well.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:54:31 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2019, 05:01:08 PM »

as long as we keep winning I'm not saying a word about Nichols' performance...  if you all are happy, I'm thrilled...  that's all I got to say about that...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
BlueInCgy

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2019, 05:25:38 PM »

The Good

O line.  For Harris to get 150 yards on the ground, they had to perform at mid season level, which they did.  Well done, especially for a group with three new starters

D line.  No run game from BC, and Reilly could not get comfortable

Harris.  Again, mid season performance game 1.

Red zone offence.  TDs not FGs.

Hecht.  I loved the chicken dance, even though it could have cost us.

Nichols/Adams/Woli.  Their best game in a long time.

Best team performance by any team week 1.

Duane Forde.  He actually made listening to the game enjoyable.

The Bad

Defense played far too far off the receivers for the first three quarters and it nearly cost us.  Fortunately Reilly?s 50/50 balls weren?t working with a new receiving corps.

Penalties, but that?s too be expected in the first game.

Dropped balls, but again to be expected first game.

Nichols seemed to be keying in on his favourites, need to spread the ball around to more than three targets, but again, that will come as the lineup solidifies.

The Ugly

ST coverage on the Rutley return.

Rod Black.  Seriously, is there no other option.  Now that he can?t pine for Johnny, he has to talk about concession food for 1/4 of the game?  Nevermind the obvious flubs like Third and goal from the 1, when the previous play was not an ?and goal? situation.  At least he didn?t disrespect Claybrooks at the end of the game saying ?he?s still looking for his first win? (which he did to Khari on Friday), but I guess if he doesn?t know the difference between Claybrooks and Lewis....
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7  All
  Print  

Jump to: